Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

When will gw do a kt compendium vol 2? Like come on dudes, I want to use these sick BT bowl haircuts and muscle armour you sold me, but not if they're all carrying exactly the equipment doing exactly the same thing.

E: If I'd realised it was a new page I wouldn't have poo poo posted, but much like magnus who also did nothing wrong, you gotta commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Not to get political over 6mm war dolls but INDEPENDENCE FOR QUEBEC!

Seriously tho, Trollz Under The Bridge (third-party provider of excellent upgrades for 40k figs, a large line of 6mm stuff for Epic and a bunch of great sculpts for Warmster) are running a 5% off sale with proceeds benefiting the areas affected by the Troubles in the East. Highly recommend their Imperial Guard and Necron figures. From their site:

"If you want to support us and contribute please use our webstore. I've prepare for you discount code HELP_UKRAINE. It's just 5% - just a little tip. BUT all the profit from these purchases will be send to help Ukraine.

I know, we usually split our hobby from real life. And that's for the good reason, I know. But right now I'm not able to be silent.
Please help us to help them. Like, comment, share this information so more people can contribute. I really hope I'll be never writhing similar message again.

Code: HELP_UKRAINE
https://www.trolls.cz/"

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

When will gw do a kt compendium vol 2? Like come on dudes, I want to use these sick BT bowl haircuts and muscle armour you sold me, but not if they're all carrying exactly the equipment doing exactly the same thing.

E: If I'd realised it was a new page I wouldn't have poo poo posted, but much like magnus who also did nothing wrong, you gotta commit.

It will probably be a while, they seem content to update factions with new rules in White Dwarf. I'm very surprised at the lack of new space marine rules though considering how anemic the ones in the compendium are.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Booyah- posted:

It will probably be a while, they seem content to update factions with new rules in White Dwarf. I'm very surprised at the lack of new space marine rules though considering how anemic the ones in the compendium are.

Kill Team seems to have a secondary objective to 'sneak' updates to older lines. It's entirely possible that the Cadian Shock Troops upgrade sprue was to be introduced via Kill Team until it was decided to put in the Krieg team. Unless they make an entirely new Space Marine unit to push through Kill Team (unlikely as why not just release it on its own?) there are no sets to 'update' with a new sprue or whatever.

Space Marines figures/sets are nearly always up to date, so they can't really add an upgrade sprue to push it to be one of the 'elite' Kill Teams, like with the new Tau Pathfinder and Chaos Space Marine Kill Teams. 'Firstborn' will probably be phased out over the next decades, so no new stuff for them.

The most I could see them try to do is something with the new Black Templar set - mixing Primaris with scouts in a team.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Not to get political over 6mm war dolls but INDEPENDENCE FOR QUEBEC!

Seriously tho, Trollz Under The Bridge (third-party provider of excellent upgrades for 40k figs, a large line of 6mm stuff for Epic and a bunch of great sculpts for Warmster) are running a 5% off sale with proceeds benefiting the areas affected by the Troubles in the East. Highly recommend their Imperial Guard and Necron figures. From their site:

"If you want to support us and contribute please use our webstore. I've prepare for you discount code HELP_UKRAINE. It's just 5% - just a little tip. BUT all the profit from these purchases will be send to help Ukraine.

I know, we usually split our hobby from real life. And that's for the good reason, I know. But right now I'm not able to be silent.
Please help us to help them. Like, comment, share this information so more people can contribute. I really hope I'll be never writhing similar message again.

Code: HELP_UKRAINE
https://www.trolls.cz/"

They really need to update their homepage, I thought their site was broken til I noticed the grey strip at the top with the links! (it blends in very well with my bookmarks bar in dark theme)

On a similar note, Wargames Exclusive are making a special edition miniature with the proceeds going towards supporting Ukraine (where they are based) - https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/?yith_wcan=1&product_cat=sale

They have some neat characters and vehicles plus some NSFW titty figures (liberally spread around the ranges without a filter, you have been warned)/

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Booyah- posted:

Compendium 2 just being the white dwarf teams and nothing new would suck, let's do it. The lack of space marines is honestly baffling, I figured they'd be one of the first WD teams.

LashLightning posted:

Kill Team seems to have a secondary objective to 'sneak' updates to older lines. It's entirely possible that the Cadian Shock Troops upgrade sprue was to be introduced via Kill Team until it was decided to put in the Krieg team. Unless they make an entirely new Space Marine unit to push through Kill Team (unlikely as why not just release it on its own?) there are no sets to 'update' with a new sprue or whatever.

Space Marines figures/sets are nearly always up to date, so they can't really add an upgrade sprue to push it to be one of the 'elite' Kill Teams, like with the new Tau Pathfinder and Chaos Space Marine Kill Teams. 'Firstborn' will probably be phased out over the next decades, so no new stuff for them.

The most I could see them try to do is something with the new Black Templar set - mixing Primaris with scouts in a team.

Huh, never realised the cadian upgrade was probably an abandoned KT project.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I expect the eventual bespoke marine kill team to be some kind of Primaris Scout equivalent along the lines of the BT bowlcut boys but less chapter specific.

I'd be really excited if it was a new kit for Firstborn Scouts but I'm not going to hold my breath

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are Marines any good in Kill Team v2? I know they were garbage in the old version.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I expect the eventual bespoke marine kill team to be some kind of Primaris Scout equivalent along the lines of the BT bowlcut boys but less chapter specific.

I'd be really excited if it was a new kit for Firstborn Scouts but I'm not going to hold my breath

Did they ever make a firstborn scout kit that wasn’t embarrassing?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Crackbone posted:

Did they ever make a firstborn scout kit that wasn’t embarrassing?

Yeah the new templar neophytes.

I really liked the old metal scout Sgt.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LashLightning posted:

A Space Marine set could have a sprue with personalization and customization options: unusual weapons, special equipment, new heads, bionic limbs, and the like. What we really need is some way to mix and match Marines of different specialties in one team; an assault intercessor, two regular inceptors, a heavy weapons dude, and so on. It's easy enough to house rule it, but you'd want something formal for competitive play.

And thanks for the link and discount code, I now own an Epic scale Necron army.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Hmm. Cursed City is gonna be a M2O only product. That does prevent people from zerg-rushing it and it being unavailable, but the M2O order period is just two goddamn weeks.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Hmm. Cursed City is gonna be a M2O only product. That does prevent people from zerg-rushing it and it being unavailable, but the M2O order period is just two goddamn weeks.

M2O, shipping in May or later for some parts of the world, back with expansions later in the year. Don't buy CC unless you really want the models.

Cursed City is a Trojan horse game. It's ok to begin and even really fun occasionally. It gets really bad. It's like a uni group project and the students only communicated once a month for 30 seconds, but it's deadline so turn in your work. Nothing hangs together, its systems fight each other, it rambles forever to hit word count.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Made to order for a guaranteed two week period, with a promise of a full relaunch later in the year with expansions.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

M2O, shipping in May or later for some parts of the world, back with expansions later in the year. Don't buy CC unless you really want the models.

Cursed City is a Trojan horse game. It's ok to begin and even really fun occasionally. It gets really bad. It's like a uni group project and the students only communicated once a month for 30 seconds, but it's deadline so turn in your work. Nothing hangs together, its systems fight each other, it rambles forever to hit word count.
Someone made a full variant with some good fixes at BGG. I've played it with those rules and now there's no other way to play it for my group:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2642992/first-impressions-fixes-and-additional-content

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Talas posted:

Someone made a full variant with some good fixes at BGG. I've played it with those rules and now there's no other way to play it for my group:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2642992/first-impressions-fixes-and-additional-content

Thanks, I've been meaning to try variants but lol sub zero willpower every time I look at the box.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Second half of my halfling team finished

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Eediot Jedi posted:

Looks like some UK sellers are getting copies too so should be able to get it for just under £100, which is tempting... I'd have totally gone for it a year ago, but knowing it's coming back normally, I have no sense of FOMO about letting it go. Plus I haven't painted any of my Stormcast from Dominion yet.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Talas posted:

So is it actually good with these tweaks? Or just less bad?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Squibsy posted:

So is it actually good with these tweaks? Or just less bad?
"Playable", I'd say. Still nothing close to the best dungeon crawlers.

That variant has become a community effort, so they may tweak more stuff.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Eediot Jedi posted:

This is the first time on this site someone has told me not to buy a product and actually given me a good reason that wasn't just a smokescreen for "the people involved pissed me off on rpg.net in 2009". Thank you! :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Even with all this honest and specific feedback..... maybe I really do want the models. And tiles. :gonk:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Squibsy posted:

Even with all this honest and specific feedback..... maybe I really do want the models. And tiles. :gonk:

I mean... The models are pretty sweet.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I got Cursed City on the first run mainly for the models to use for RPGs. The game is just a bonus.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Squibsy posted:

In the WHC post, they specifically say "Every order placed within this timeframe will be fulfilled, and the game will cost the same as it did on its first launch day." which leads me to believe that it will be more expensive when the game goes back into regular stock. Obviously, that's not a given, but with GW, you never know.

Honestly, worst case, if you have buyer's remorse down the road and decide to offload the game, you could almost certainly make back your purchase price on parting out the minis alone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I kinda wanna get cursed city but I know I'll impulse buy it when I see it at an LGS

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's a no-brainer for me as a Soulblight player.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think it's a no-brainer, period. If you can afford it (please don't go into debt for plastic toys) pick it up. GW products, for the most part, appreciate over time and, again, at the wort, you'll be able to part things out and, most likely, profit.

Every time, my advice on GW is "if you're on the fence and can foot the bill. just buy it."

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think it's a no-brainer, period. If you can afford it (please don't go into debt for plastic toys) pick it up. GW products, for the most part, appreciate over time and, again, at the wort, you'll be able to part things out and, most likely, profit.

Every time, my advice on GW is "if you're on the fence and can foot the bill. just buy it."

I know this is the GW positive thread but claiming GW products normally resell at a profit is silly.

EDIT: Since I wasn't clear, I'll clarify.

IF you are buying limited edition sets, AND not opening them, AND holding them for 12+ mo until they're out of print, yes in theory you can sell for a profit. But this isn't what most people do. Once you open the box and start clipping sprues/assembling, the value goes down. So let's say you DO sell Cursed City/Dark Vengance/etc for more than MSRP.
- The money you originally spent has been tied up in this box for a long time
- Your time in listing/selling/shipping the product isn't free
- If you're selling via ebay or similar you're losing ~20% off the top
- If you part out you're waiting a LONG time for every piece to sell

Do GW products hold value well? Yes. But claiming it's "profitable" for somebody isn't really true, unless you behave like a speculator, in which point you're not really buying to enjoy the product.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 5, 2022

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Crackbone posted:

I know this is the GW positive thread but claiming GW products normally resell at a profit is silly.

please point me to the people reselling GW products at a loss. PLEASE

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Virtual Russian posted:

Like… half of ebay? The only kits you can sell without a loss are those who are OOP, and even then there are unpopular kits that don’t sell for that much. And it goes in waves, the current high prices for middlehammer kits was not always there.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 5, 2022

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Virtual Russian posted:

I clarified my post.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 5, 2022

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Oh poo poo, is this going to spiral into the next "Actually that's just a rumour, nothing's confirmed" + "HOW DARE YOU IMPLY MY ANECDOTE FROM FOUR YEARS AGO ISN'T ROCK SOLID EVIDENCE????"

For what it's worth, I've managed to buy GW products at a 'loss' in the sense that I was able to buy Space Hulk last year, with foam casing, fully assembled, for about 250 bucks, and on average in Canada here, Space Hulk is much moar expensive. I peeped a guy trying to sell the EXACT same box with no foam for the miniatures for 400$ a few months ago and people were roasting him right up until someone DM'd him and bought it. I sold my Blood Bowl team(ork half) from the Starter box to a guy for about 40 bucks canadian and I could have probably gotten that for the Troll alone, so yes, I have bought GW products for way less than they were worth and sold them for way less than they were worth, but that's 100% not something you can reasonably count on.

Doubly so for Virtual Russian, a friendly guy who plays games like Epic 40k where you can be reasonably expected to hand over a month's rent for an army. Honestly, I don't even see it as him being aggressive or sarcastic, VR would probably literally jump for joy to buy any Epic 40k products at lower or at sticker price. His favorite game is literally an out of print game where if you ask for model sources, people wince and point you down the 3D print, expensive third party resin, or eBay nightmare routes.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 5, 2022

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Doubly so for Virtual Russian, a friendly guy who plays games like Epic 40k where you can be reasonably expected to hand over a month's rent for an army. Honestly, I don't even see it as him being aggressive or sarcastic, VR would probably literally jump for joy to buy any Epic 40k products at lower or at sticker price. His favorite game is literally an out of print game where if you ask for model sources, people wince and point you down the 3D print, expensive third party resin, or eBay nightmare routes.

Models from a 20 year-old OOP game != any GW release. Context is important.

Fair enough that VR wasn't being sarcastic, I'll edit my snark.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 5, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Okay buy if my wife complains I'll blame you (which... probably won't work out for me)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crackbone posted:

Models from a 20 year-old OOP game != any GW release. Context is important.

Fair enough that VR wasn't being sarcastic, I'll edit my snark.

Oh it's a reasonable mistake to make. I just have really good memory of his posts and virtual russian has an almost dostoyevskyian struggle in feeding his addiction. Canada isn't Australia-tier here, but it can be at times

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Do GW products hold value well? Yes. But claiming it's "profitable" for somebody isn't really true, unless you behave like a speculator, in which point you're not really buying to enjoy the product.

I said if they bought a CC box, they could part it out and, at worst, break even. At best, they'll make a few bucks. Nobody is going to get rich off parting out boxes, and I never implied that.

I bought 2 copies of Cursed City when it was in production. I sold the hero models, radukar, and skeletons from one set, again, while still available from sellers for MSRP, for more than I paid for the entire box. I now have extra models for Warcry or something, as well as a backup set of tiles in case something happens to my other set during a game (spills, dog eating something, whatever.)

I will guarantee you that if you buy a CC box, you will be able to part out and sell the models for more than you paid for the box.

I'm not saying to go out and buy a box of Orks and then watch your investment blow up. There's no speculation in GW unless you're specifically buying stated limited items and hoping to catch a whale that missed the release.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 5, 2022

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Cursed City was a limited stock item that people didn't know was limited until it was too late and already scarce, and there was no guarantee it was ever coming back. Pick another example, nothing else from GW has ever had a situation like that to the best of my knowledge.

I bought that awful BT box and sold most of it to get a final 50% off retail discount on the only items I actually wanted from it. I could probably have sold the lot for a minor profit but to use that as "buy buy buy!" advice is lol real questionable.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm looking at $300 copies of the Blackstone Fortess expansions (NO MODELS) and they're not getting cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah it is this. I play Epic and LotR, I've never found something online for cheap, I did not mean my quote as an attack. I've just never bought something second hand that wasn't brutally marked up. Plus yes, in Canada a ton of the boxed games are just never available and are also insanely priced.

I would love nothing more than reasonably priced Epic. I got into the game (+BFG) in the late 90s/early 00s due to a combination of enjoyment and low cost to buy in. I still love the games, but man, the cost is rough these days.