Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also, I got myself the Snowtrooper battle pack and the instructions now have a minifigure moving along a progress bar along the bottom of every page, and every completed part of the build is accompanied by colourful star graphics. Seems a bit weird, is it like that in all of the newest sets?
The Sonic instructions have him as a progress bar running across the bottom of the page, and every bag you complete he obtains one of the chaos emeralds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

My family sent me a birthday present a month early, and I was expecting some Lego because that's what they usually get me. I thought it might be the Shuttle, because I'd dropped hints about that, or maybe the Globe because that just came out.

They got me the Mos Eisley Cantina! I really enjoyed building something Star Wars that wasn't a big grey spaceship, and the little side builds do really well to flesh it out from just being one building into feeling like a proper Tatooine scene. My only concern now is with display, as it's a big chungus of a set. I want to incorporate my other Tatooine sets around it if possible.

Also, I got myself the Snowtrooper battle pack and the instructions now have a minifigure moving along a progress bar along the bottom of every page, and every completed part of the build is accompanied by colourful star graphics. Seems a bit weird, is it like that in all of the newest sets?

The Mos Eisley set is so good. It's such an unusual Star Wars set in that it's a building that is actually pretty well scaled to the real thing and not just a forward facing facade. it makes a nice display piece but also would be a good set for kids to play with. It's got all sort of though put into how it opens up which is cool.Also yeah the little side builds are great and so are the minifigures.

One thing I recommend is finding a spot for it where you can look down from above. I tried to display mine on a middle shelf with my other Tatooine sets and I felt like it just sort of blended in and I lost appreciation for it despite loving it initially. Then when I shifted some stuff around I moved it to a little shelf I turned on it's side so it sits about knee high and is open from above. Which made it one of my favorite sets again. If you can only see it from the side it's barely distinguishable from the other sets

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My spouse got my kid a knockoff 874 piece fire station , used. It came without instructions

I'm doing my best looking at the box but gee whiz

On the plus side we finally have a bunch of 10x10 plates and doors and windows but good grief I don't think I can pull this off

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 26, 2022

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it possible to cancel BL orders? I don't really want them any more. I know I can resell them but don't want to deal with that. Even with the potential profit.
Which ones had you ordered? Curious what changed since then / why you're no longer interested.

mastershakeman posted:

My spouse got my kid a knockoff 874 piece fire station , used. It came without instructions

I'm doing my best looking at the box but gee whiz

On the plus side we finally have a bunch of 10x10 plates and doors and windows but good grief I don't think I can pull this off
Is it a knockoff of an official set or MOC, or anything you could use to reverse engineer it more handily?

Also, the upcoming 40517 Vespa (the smaller one) is doable in medium azure with some part substitutions:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I recommend is finding a spot for it where you can look down from above. I tried to display mine on a middle shelf with my other Tatooine sets and I felt like it just sort of blended in and I lost appreciation for it despite loving it initially. Then when I shifted some stuff around I moved it to a little shelf I turned on it's side so it sits about knee high and is open from above. Which made it one of my favorite sets again. If you can only see it from the side it's barely distinguishable from the other sets

I guess Mos Eisley got relocated to Felucia

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Carbohydrates posted:

Which ones had you ordered? Curious what changed since then / why you're no longer interested.

Is it a knockoff of an official set or MOC, or anything you could use to reverse engineer it more handily?

Also, the upcoming 40517 Vespa (the smaller one) is doable in medium azure with some part substitutions:

Hm, it doesn't seem to be a knockoff of an official set. He has the 2019 one and this is more like older ones but I'll check out their manuals to see if I can get some inspiration. I basically just need to figure out how a few of the base plates are being used and a few other spots and can work through everything else

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KJJC28V/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_8JJ0E3YWNR665YXRG0F8
it's this one .

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, doesn't match any official set exactly, but that's not uncommon with knockoff brands. It looks closest to 60110 from 2016 but it's still fairly different.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

I guess Mos Eisley got relocated to Felucia

I like it. Mines kind of weird right now cause it's on this little sideways shelf. It's so low, but it works for now. I'll take it over being stuffed into a middle shelf.

I think it's the exact same line of storage shelves haha. Target?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 27, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

Boat & Safe. I was feeling FOMO at the time because I knew that they would be gone if I didn't get them at the time. But now when I look at them I just don't think they are all that interesting. They look like amateur MOCs, which is what they are.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Alright I got the Typewriter. It was on sale, so nabbed it for 1590kr (169 USD).

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

HootTheOwl posted:

Safe arrived today, a whole lot of stickers.
I don't know what I expected, honestly

I just finished this with my kids. The locking mechanism is jawdropping in how well it works and the whole thing is satisfyingly solid as a safe should be.

However, I seem to have some extra pieces, and not just extra fiddly bits that you usually get a spare of, but large, unique pieces that I can’t find a place for. Specifically, a 4 stud red axle and a red bionicle eye. This was my first time using the app to build a set and while it is a cool tool, it’s a bit harder for backing up and reviewing. Even checking the pdf instructions, I can’t find where those pieces should fit in. They’re on the final pdf page inventory so…:confused:

https://imgur.com/a/7NjSwew

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man the butthole tiger has some cool build techniques. The stripes are mostly brick built!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Friday night - mini Heartlake Theater:

Cleaned up and instructions available:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-103478/mattking4/heartlake-theater-mini-modular/#details

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ratatozsk posted:

I just finished this with my kids. The locking mechanism is jawdropping in how well it works and the whole thing is satisfyingly solid as a safe should be.

However, I seem to have some extra pieces, and not just extra fiddly bits that you usually get a spare of, but large, unique pieces that I can’t find a place for. Specifically, a 4 stud red axle and a red bionicle eye. This was my first time using the app to build a set and while it is a cool tool, it’s a bit harder for backing up and reviewing. Even checking the pdf instructions, I can’t find where those pieces should fit in. They’re on the final pdf page inventory so…:confused:

https://imgur.com/a/7NjSwew

NGL this instructions app is kinda awful.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Sivart13 posted:

The Sonic instructions have him as a progress bar running across the bottom of the page, and every bag you complete he obtains one of the chaos emeralds

I got a couple of the new 3-in-1 sets and they had a progress bar at the bottom too. Not sure if that does anything for me or not but it's an interesting touch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sivart13 posted:

I thought Sonic gradually getting the chaos emeralds over the course of the build was a classy touch.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is silly: my kids have been on a Labyrinth kick lately. We replaced the pieces with Lego guys and augmented all the treasure tiles on the board with Lego accessories. If you acquire a treasure, you add that accessory to your guy.

It’s kind of a hassle with all the extra pieces on the board but the physical reward and the goofiness of your player carrying all his loot adds a lot of fun.

Post-game team photo:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Bad Munki posted:

This is silly: my kids have been on a Labyrinth kick lately. We replaced the pieces with Lego guys and augmented all the treasure tiles on the board with Lego accessories. If you acquire a treasure, you add that accessory to your guy.

It’s kind of a hassle with all the extra pieces on the board but the physical reward and the goofiness of your player carrying all his loot adds a lot of fun.

Post-game team photo:

Holy poo poo, this is the greatest idea ever. Totally doing this next time we bust out labyrinth.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Butterfly Valley posted:

The Monkie Kid sets I bought last year had this, and the only Ninjago set from 2022 I've bought so far had it too.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Xenomrph posted:

I thought Sonic gradually getting the chaos emeralds over the course of the build was a classy touch.
Progress bar Sonic also gets "hit" and loses rings every time you finish building an enemy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Carbohydrates posted:

Progress bar Sonic also gets "hit" and loses rings every time you finish building an enemy.
I genuinely did not notice that, that's awesome.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh my God my kid got the ice cream bandit police chase and the police car has caltrops

Lego designers: ever stepped on a Lego? Imagine if we made them sharp on purpose

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally started putting together the Creator Mustang that I bought a year ago. Only did the 1 and 2 bags, but so far I'm loving how it's coming together. Got halfway through the first bag and realized "Hey, I'm sitting in front of a large-rear end monitor, why am I trying to use the paper manual?!" 10/10 would recommend lol.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Finally started putting together the Creator Mustang that I bought a year ago. Only did the 1 and 2 bags, but so far I'm loving how it's coming together. Got halfway through the first bag and realized "Hey, I'm sitting in front of a large-rear end monitor, why am I trying to use the paper manual?!" 10/10 would recommend lol.

The Mustang is a great build

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the greatest idea ever. Totally doing this next time we bust out labyrinth.

https://brickipedia.fandom.com/wiki/Heroica

Its pretty cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you ever want to break into wargaming type play, another game that works well with lego is Frostgrave. Have everyone help build the terrain you'll be fighting in, all it needs is a dozen or so buildings/walls/whatevers and a handful of minifigs for each player.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I glued a Repair-man minifig to a base and that was my Tech Priest Enginseer for 40k. He had a hand cart and ran around fixing my tanks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mastershakeman posted:

Oh my God my kid got the ice cream bandit police chase and the police car has caltrops

Lego designers: ever stepped on a Lego? Imagine if we made them sharp on purpose

Those aren’t caltrops, those are sick rims. The police just wanna help those criminals look totally baller.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I found this in the garage is it worth anything?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

In pretty good condition, that fig is worth ~$6. Given that that one literally looks like she just escaped from a sex dungeon, it's probably a couple bucks best case?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

seems like it should make it worth more due to authenticity

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

bird with big dick posted:

would you be interested in a swap? i can add $$$ to make it worth your while

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Well I tried to submit my 5 mini-modulars as a 10th anniversary set to Lego Ideas and was rejected, apparently because they consider Mini Modulars to be a discontinued theme.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Well I tried to submit my 5 mini-modulars as a 10th anniversary set to Lego Ideas and was rejected, apparently because they consider Mini Modulars to be a discontinued theme.

Those bastards only made one Mini Modular!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Booooooo

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bird with big dick posted:

As coincidence would have it, a few weeks ago I bought a 60lbs lot of Lego and after a lot of sorting I started putting together some sets he had and the first one I did was the first iteration of Jabba's Barge. Missing a bunch of pieces and most minifigs including Jabba, but I do have Leia's hairpiece. That one looks pretty rough though, unless it cleans up nice.

The sandcrawler is missing a ton of parts but I was pleased to find the Gonk droid. Also Vader's Advanced TIE is apparently super valuable now. After doing several of these bulk buys off craigslist and facebook marketplace I think the sweet spot of size vs hassle is like 20lbs, because 60 was just ridiculous.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Completed the Titanic!

What an amazing model. The build was very interesting, if extremely long. And it fits perfectly on the mantle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Shouldn't the flag be going the other way since it's a powered ship?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

davebo posted:

As coincidence would have it, a few weeks ago I bought a 60lbs lot of Lego and after a lot of sorting I started putting together some sets he had and the first one I did was the first iteration of Jabba's Barge. Missing a bunch of pieces and most minifigs including Jabba, but I do have Leia's hairpiece. That one looks pretty rough though, unless it cleans up nice.

The sandcrawler is missing a ton of parts but I was pleased to find the Gonk droid. Also Vader's Advanced TIE is apparently super valuable now. After doing several of these bulk buys off craigslist and facebook marketplace I think the sweet spot of size vs hassle is like 20lbs, because 60 was just ridiculous.

The weird part is that I don’t recall ever owning a set that would have come with this minifig.

I think it actually will clean up well but I haven’t tried yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Shouldn't the flag be going the other way since it's a powered ship?

Could be in a tailwind