Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Figured I should drop a note here, since the Subaru set and outdoors set overlap in a not-insignificant way.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I felt that y'all should be informed.

REI corporate is fighting a unionization drive at their SoHo store.

https://jacobinmag.com/2022/02/rei-union-busting-podcast-land-acknowledgment-liberals/

board@rei.com is where to send the angry emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Changed the oil in my 2015 WRX yesterday and I noticed I was down maybe a quart. I'm going to change the PCV valve which has a 40kmi service life according to Subaru (I'm at 100kmi lol). Any other parts I should load before I fire the parts cannon?

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 16, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going to be going to a junk yard this weekend and am getting together a list of stuff to look for. Currently on it is a new rear view mirror and whatever the vent is at the front of the engine bay that goes into the side near the air box since I accidentally leaned on mine and snapped it. I've procrastinated on fixing my driver's seat enough that I've lost chunks of padding so I'm thinking about just getting a new driver's seat for my '99 Impreza. Are there seats from any other generation that will fit on the stock seat rails without having a big difference in height or position? I don't need luxury, I prefer cloth, just some seats that aren't in terrible shape would be nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oof, saw a new WRX in person today.

It's worse IRL. So so loving cheap feeling.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh wow they’re already in the road. I was hoping the pictures just looked bad cause I feel like my 21 STI looks way better than pics.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, it was an auto show. Granted the sign says pre-production, but I doubt things are changing much in the final model.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subaru has an order now link but the configurator with what comically high price they’re going to want for that cvt only trim isn’t up yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just show the next STI you cowards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's also funny is there was like zero interest in it at the show. People were in line to get into the Outback Wilderness, only an occasional person took a look at the WRX

The plastic trim on the outside was already scratched to hell and back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The wilderness at least looks fit for purpose.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Someone in my building got the forester wilderness in magnetite grey and it looks awesome imo.

There’s also 5 Impreza/Wrx/STIs and we all started parking together :3:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Rolo posted:

Someone in my building got the forester wilderness in magnetite grey and it looks awesome imo.

There’s also 5 Impreza/Wrx/STIs and we all started parking together :3:

Are you my neighbor? Then again I guess every apartment complex in Colorado looks like this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also the twin cities, Seattle and Portland.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's an outback in my apartment complex with a 2" lift on it, and it looks good.

Poor bastard has the CVT though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Spent the day pretending to be a Subaru tech doing the maintenance they always recommend. Replaced my PCV and cabin air filter. Both of which I always declined.

https://i.imgur.com/Zs1sq9H.mp4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How many miles are in that filter?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
An embarrassing amount. I literally don't remember when it was last replaced. I may have agreed to it once like 70k ago. No odors, no flow issues, so it always became an "eventually" priority.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tenchrono posted:

Are you my neighbor? Then again I guess every apartment complex in Colorado looks like this.

I’m in NC so they’re not everywhere. One of my neighbors has a Focus ST with mud flaps and he parks with us sometimes.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Mounted my old X-Ices that I had for my model 3 since I didnt want to buy the oem size and I had them laying around not being used. These things look hilarious with smaller height wheels.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Spent the day pretending to be a Subaru tech doing the maintenance they always recommend. Replaced my PCV and cabin air filter. Both of which I always declined.

https://i.imgur.com/Zs1sq9H.mp4

I need to do my PCV valve as well, or at least probably do. I've got one because gently caress it, it was $3.
My rack and pinion boot came loose so I re-tied it but I put power steering fluid in it not realizing it needs ATF. It was starting to make some really unpleasant noises, so I turkey bastered all of the old fluid out and replaced it with fresh ATF. My PS pump was instantly quieter than I remember it being in a long time. This stuff was both old and toasty, smelled like poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For me the obvious signs were white smoke on start from the exhaust, and being down about a quart across 3000 miles of driving. The latter detail worried me enough to get it done. Unfortunately the PCV on the 2015+ WRX is underneath the intercooler/intake runners. I was able to get it out with just removing the intercooler. The short line from the PCV to the intake should also get replaced. Mine was very hard and inflexible. Looking at it revealed it's made of PVC according to the labeling. Service life is 40kmi.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm down.... significantly more than that, but I'm not sure how much of that was valve cover gaskets vs rear main seal vs front seals (replaced) vs oil pan seal vs PCV valve vs worn out rings, I'm at 223k miles.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like you could use a leak down to verify your rings and gaskets aren't borked. Dealt with similar issues with my Miata. Turns out the rings/dingleball hone didn't take. PCV is an easy enough start though. Always go with the cheapest easiest solutions first.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh I know the valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket are leaking, and IIRC the rear main seal is. The front seals were leaking but the shop replaced them when they did my timing belt. I did an oil change about 500 miles ago, after the timing belt job, and I’m keeping an eye on the level. I had the same shop do an inspection and specifically asked the lady at the desk to have them check the engine but I’m not sure if that got passed back.

Would a faulty PCV valve spit more into one cylinder than the others? Cylinder one looked dirtier on the borescope when I did my spark plugs than the others did.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know specifically about the SVX, but that is accurate for the WRX and my Miata, so it's a reasonable assumption to me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh this one is my Impreza, so if the WRX is like that then that could be the culprit, another EJ engine at least.

I am a man of many Subarus. And by many I mean two.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, mine was definitely crusty, still rattled but just covered in oil sludge. Replaced it and it seems like it might have even fixed an intermittent flashing CEL I would get when I would be hard on the throttle or high RPMs for an extended time (10+ seconds). Too soon to be sure but I tried to set it off without success.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
For oil leaks to contribute meaningfully to oil loss they need to be HUGE. A half quart of oil makes an enormous mess. So if you are losing a quart per 3000 miles (which IMO isn’t really that much), it’s most likely going out the exhaust unless there are pools of oil under the car.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Comparing my 2000 Impreza RS to my USDM 2004 WRX, both with stock transmissions.

The RS second gear ratio is 2.062:1 with a final drive ratio of 4.111. The WRX is 1.947:1 with a final drive of 3.9: 1. The RS will be at 23.5 MPH at 5000, while the WRX will be at 25.9 MPH at 5,000 RPM with the 195 Gravel tires. It doesn't seem like that big a difference, but on the Rallycross courses, which have a lot of tight turns and we rarely get above 50 Miles per hour, it feels like the WRX 2nd gear is too tall and just bogs everywhere while the RS seems like it's the perfect ratio.

But when I look at the gear ratio differences, they seem to be almost identical. What am I not understanding?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Probably three things adding up

more responsive, higher cr n/a engine in the rs, less weight, and the gear ratio difference isn't nothing

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 1, 2022

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So on that note, I'm starting to get old and I'm thinking about what might be my last project: Building an amazing Subaru GC "American" RallyCross car. American RallyCross is basically autocross, but on dirt farmland, Gravel pits, big gravel parking lots, etc. The speeds are never supposed to exceed 50 MPH, so the courses all end up being a mix of chicanes, big long sweepers, and slaloms. A light car like a GC combined with good low end power and short gears would stomp quite nicely.

Budget will be $10,000, not including the car.

Transmission is buying a JDM 6 speed with a DCCD that has the shortest gears that I can find from a JDM importing. I have a transmission sheet, but i really don't know what's actually available. All my wheels are 5X100 so if I have to convert that's ok, but it will eat into the budget as i will need 3 sets of wheels minimum.

For the engine, I'd pefer something also JDM instead of rebuilding older USDM EJs, but that assumes I can get someone to merge the harness with the USDM GC somehow. If not, I'll have to do something where I get a JDM motor and swap the intake. I need lots of power at the low end, so I think that means a small turbo like a TD04 and sending it out to get polished so it spins up real quick.

I don't have to worry about emissions or ODB2 stuff, but I would like the power windows, heat , lights, AC to work.

I'm open to any and all suggestions except "don't do it, you're an idiot." (you can say I'm an idiot and then give good suggestions however)

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Looking for a little advice on a potential used forester purchase. We have an 07 which we adore, but I’m looking for another daily driver for myself. I have a 5 mile round trip commute and would pretty much exclusively be doing city driving. A 99 forester popped up locally in my casual searching, with only about 71k miles on it at a local used dealer. I’m going to see it hopefully this weekend, and I’d definitely have my shop (just a general repair shop that I trust and have used for years) so an inspection, but I guess my question is am I just asking for trouble with a subi that old? I know it’s not even at half it’s life span, but I also don’t have the space or tools to do any personal maintenance, everything would need to be fixed at a shop. I love early model Subarus like I’m sure most of this thread does, but also don’t want to buy something that’s going to be constantly falling apart.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The reliability of a 20 year old anything has more to do with how it's been maintained in the last several years than anything else. The vast majority of used cars for sale seem to be in deep maintenance debt.

You need a pre purchase inspection.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Iron Lung posted:

Looking for a little advice on a potential used forester purchase. We have an 07 which we adore, but I’m looking for another daily driver for myself. I have a 5 mile round trip commute and would pretty much exclusively be doing city driving. A 99 forester popped up locally in my casual searching, with only about 71k miles on it at a local used dealer. I’m going to see it hopefully this weekend, and I’d definitely have my shop (just a general repair shop that I trust and have used for years) so an inspection, but I guess my question is am I just asking for trouble with a subi that old? I know it’s not even at half it’s life span, but I also don’t have the space or tools to do any personal maintenance, everything would need to be fixed at a shop. I love early model Subarus like I’m sure most of this thread does, but also don’t want to buy something that’s going to be constantly falling apart.

99 Forester stuff to check: Leaking headgaskets, rust on the front wheel-wells and on the strut tower. The rust in those areas is usually fatal and hard to spot so you need someone with a lift to check it out.

The 4eat transmissions are really good in those, and the engines are usually fine outside of the headgaskets.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Cool. Appreciate the advice. Sounds like head gaskets are always an issue, my 07 is at 111k but no signs of leaks yet. I’ll see the car today most likely but will 100% get it inspected by my shop who will put it on the lift. I was more worried about every piece of plastic or rubber in the thing being toasted, which I suppose is always a risk anyway with something used.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Iron Lung posted:

Cool. Appreciate the advice. Sounds like head gaskets are always an issue, my 07 is at 111k but no signs of leaks yet. I’ll see the car today most likely but will 100% get it inspected by my shop who will put it on the lift. I was more worried about every piece of plastic or rubber in the thing being toasted, which I suppose is always a risk anyway with something used.

Well, it's an old car. Things are going to break and be annoying.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Oh for sure. It’s priced pretty well, everything else in my area that’s 5-10 years newer is about the same and double the mileage at least. Appreciate it!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Been thinking of buying a Subaru Crosstrek.

Reviews of the Subaru Crosstrek frequently criticize the vehicle's 2.0L engine for being "slow." Starting in 2021 there's a 2.5L engine which people seem happy about, though annoyingly it's only available with the automatic. Normally my preference would always be to buy a manual, but I'm wondering if in this case the automatic is the best option for this vehicle if it makes the vehicle more responsive. Does the engine make that much of a difference? Which model do folks think is the best buy?

I also see from the last few pages that people seem to have um, opinions about the CVT transmission. Maybe that factors in to the decision. (I'm a complete newbie to these cars and I have no idea what the issues are)

I'm curious if anyone has experience driving these Crosstreks, the old 2.0L engine and the new 2.5 and can speak to it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Femtosecond posted:

Been thinking of buying a Subaru Crosstrek.

Reviews of the Subaru Crosstrek frequently criticize the vehicle's 2.0L engine for being "slow." Starting in 2021 there's a 2.5L engine which people seem happy about, though annoyingly it's only available with the automatic. Normally my preference would always be to buy a manual, but I'm wondering if in this case the automatic is the best option for this vehicle if it makes the vehicle more responsive. Does the engine make that much of a difference? Which model do folks think is the best buy?

I also see from the last few pages that people seem to have um, opinions about the CVT transmission. Maybe that factors in to the decision. (I'm a complete newbie to these cars and I have no idea what the issues are)

I'm curious if anyone has experience driving these Crosstreks, the old 2.0L engine and the new 2.5 and can speak to it.

there are a gorillion better hatchbacks with a manual out there, IMO. There are also better hatchbacks (and crossovers/suvs) out there with better automatic transmissions, even some with better CVTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don’t think there are actually any small crossovers/hatches with a manual in the US? Unless you’re counting the bronco?

I think if you won’t be happy with the 2.0 you won’t be happy with the 2.5 either. The power difference is surprisingly low iirc.