Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Varinn posted:

How can something be "not intentional", but also "a given"? If doing something causes another thing to happen 100% of the time, you can't say you didnt intend for it to happen.

You didn't say it was not intentional, you said it was 'the goal'. So it seems you're just being pedantic and moving the goalposts as you go, meaning you aren't worth engaging with.

Dante posted:

Well on one hand Putin has been saying and doing the exact same thing since he invaded Georgia in 2008 with a similar pretext, only now he 70 and a bit fatter. On the other hand this he could be roid raging after two years of intense sigma male grindset bodybuilding under corona isolation. It's simply impossible to tell which story is more plausible!

He's not fatter, his face is fatter.

And I'd appreciate if you wouldn't mock us Putin Head Truthers, this is supposed to be a safe space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
A feel good post

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1498492633030791172

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f
Current world champion boxer Oleksandr Usyk has joined the Ukrainian defence forces. He was supposed to defend his title in a huge match in the upcoming weeks, but I imagine that's now off the table. He's currently ranked as the #2 pound for pound boxer in the world by the Ring magazine.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status...as-ucrania.html

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/33392740/heavyweight-champion-oleksandr-usyk-joins-territorial-defense-battalion-ukraine

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Is every boxer Ukrainian?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Varinn posted:

How can something be "not intentional", but also "a given"? If doing something causes another thing to happen 100% of the time, you can't say you didnt intend for it to happen.

Sanctions are literally the least we can do. The alternative is turning a blind eye to what's happening and continuing business as usual with a plutocratic dictatorship while it invades and brutally subjugates one of its neighbors. In my mind, anyway, continuing business as usual would make us complicit.

Sorry for all the regular people in Russia that oppose this war, but no, I'm not ok with business as usual while this is going on.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I saw them live in Lviv. It was a great time.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Sanctions also make it harder to supply the Russian army, which directly benefits the Ukrainians.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Family Values posted:

Sanctions are literally the least we can do. The alternative is turning a blind eye to what's happening and continuing business as usual with a plutocratic dictatorship while it invades and brutally subjugates one of its neighbors. In my mind, anyway, continuing business as usual would make us complicit.

Sorry for all the regular people in Russia that oppose this war, but no, I'm not ok with business as usual while this is going on.

I mean hurt who you need to to feel like you have some power I guess?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Djarum posted:

The problem is the plan was already in motion. The amount of time, materials and money to stage the invasion was sunk. If he decided to back down all of that would have been down the drain and for a Russian military that has had money problems for decades the time was now. By the time they could afford to stage the operation again the West would have likely built up Ukraine even more than they did, likely with more modern hardware making things more dicey, completely ignoring a potential EU/NATO membership.

I don’t think Putin expected the resistance or the massive support for Ukraine and blowback to them from effectively the world. Even if they do “win” it will ultimately be a loss. Every goal that Putin was after has now blown up spectacularly in his face. NATO and the EU are stronger than they have been in decades, the sphere of influence from Russia is going to be nearly irrelevant, their economy is going to be in ruins and even their highly successful destabilization programs around the world are likely going to be toast going forward.

What someone said earlier about China gaining more influence over them is right. The big winner in all of this is China. They got to see a dry run for the invasion of Taiwan and learn from it. They are going to reap all the benefits and not take any blowback from it at all.

And we thought the chip shortage was bad now, and China is much more resilient to sanctions than Russia is. Goddamn I do not want to see the world in 5 years.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tiny Timbs posted:

A10 pilots are getting serious vindication now after being told for years they’d be dusted immediately in a European conflict

This is actually a really good point. I hope the Army is wagging their fingers at the Air Force. Every time the AF tries to dump them the Army says, "Fine, we'll buy them from you." The USAF really hates the idea of CAS for some reason.

freeasinbeer posted:

The Polish Air Force/A10 pilots must be losing their mind watching 1/5th of the active Russian army stuck in a traffic jam

CAS pilots everywhere are doing unspeakable things in the privacy of their homes as they gaze upon footage of that 40-mile traffic jam. They're all :sickos:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Looks like the Ukrainians have been picking away at Russian supply lines still - that seems like a lot of rockets to just...steal. I don't understand how they did it.

That's like a single reload. Those things eat rockets by the truckful.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They're definitely a legendary boxing country, largely thanks to the Klitschko brothers, both of whom are apparently on Putin's assassination list.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Looks like the Ukrainians have been picking away at Russian supply lines still - that seems like a lot of rockets to just...steal. I don't understand how they did it.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1498274281851170821?s=20&t=f_YUucBpQH6ifUQxpIxiFA

It's a bit different in that there's now a Polish source saying they're considering it, not a flat denial like the other two countries.

One picture in a follow-up post shows the date on those rockets being 1986. Jeez that's some old equipment

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Play posted:

You didn't say it was not intentional, you said it was 'the goal'. So it seems you're just being pedantic and moving the goalposts as you go, meaning you aren't worth engaging with.

And I'd appreciate if you wouldn't mock us Putin Head Truthers, this is supposed to be a safe space

Putin or Puutin?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

This is actually a really good point. I hope the Army is wagging their fingers at the Air Force. Every time the AF tries to dump them the Army says, "Fine, we'll buy them from you." The USAF really hates the idea of CAS for some reason.

CAS pilots everywhere are doing unspeakable things in the privacy of their homes as they gaze upon footage of that 40-mile traffic jam. They're all :sickos:

If there'd be the NATO involved conflict here, what is the A-10 doing that the bazillion other types can't do? Dropping cluster bombs from a plane doesn't care about the type of the plane.
Also if the convoy would be attacked, it'd be BAI, not CAS, because CAS is done right next to friendly troops.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

kaaj posted:

So I'm trying to think now (I'm sorry). With the extra week when MOEX stays closed, Russian image on a global markets will not really change but a lot of things can happen regardless. From "Russian economy crumbles to pieces" to "Russian economy is in trouble". But assuming that Russia manages to work out some economical partnership with China, it would give Putin enough of a leverage to continue not giving a gently caress.

Which in it's own way would be bad for the West, strengthening the yuan.

I really hope that instead somebody in the Ural bunker will do the right thing though.
The renminbi appreciating would actually be good for the west, but more importantly even though Russia will probably have some serious import trade shift towards China this will not come close to alleviating the sanctions. Closer economic ties to China is the only path left if the sanctions remain, but you can't get Airbus or Boeing for Aeroflot from China. Russia is an resource export-oriented economy, and if sanctions hit oil&gas for a sustained period of time it will cause huge economic problems as the foreign currency reserves dwindle.

Play posted:

Look there's only one way to settle this! We need year-by-year picture comparisons of his hands. If I'm right his fingers should be distinctly more sausage-like now.

Dante fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 1, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Good article about how the Ukrainians used their time today. The author lives in Kyiv so I think he likely has a lot of local access

https://coffeeordie.com/russian-assault-stalls/

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Someone asked earlier about the 5th NBC video. What's going on is they are taking shots with a rocket launcher, but it has a back blast. So everyone but the shooter and the spotter move back to avoid the backblast area.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So whatever happened to those jets that the Ukrainians were promised?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

If there'd be the NATO involved conflict here, what is the A-10 doing that the bazillion other types can't do? Dropping cluster bombs from a plane doesn't care about the type of the plane.
Also if the convoy would be attacked, it'd be BAI, not CAS, because CAS is done right next to friendly troops.

This is why nobody likes pilots. :colbert:

(I tease, I tease)

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

kaaj posted:

So I'm trying to think now (I'm sorry). With the extra week when MOEX stays closed, Russian image on a global markets will not really change but a lot of things can happen regardless. From "Russian economy crumbles to pieces" to "Russian economy is in trouble". But assuming that Russia manages to work out some economical partnership with China, it would give Putin enough of a leverage to continue not giving a gently caress.

Which in it's own way would be bad for the West, strengthening the yuan.

I really hope that instead somebody in the Ural bunker will do the right thing though.

This is still insane to me that they can, on a whim, close the exchange for a week

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

gay picnic defence posted:

Of course Russia would know it is pretty important to their plans and are probably giving it a pretty thorough infantry and AA screen which might be why it hasn’t been droned to oblivion.

I wouldn't put much stock in "Russia would know" given how the last few days have panned out.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1498477869936398340

Heads up, NYC and Miami realtors. New listings about to drop at firesale prices. :munch:

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

No but every Ukrainian is working Putin's balls like a speedbag.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dominoeffect posted:

One picture in a follow-up post shows the date on those rockets being 1986. Jeez that's some old equipment

Almost 40 years is frankly ancient. I haven't been able to find hard data, but stuff like that should really be disposed of after 20 years.'

It can also contributing to the high number of unexploded munitions, shits dudding out.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Has trump called putin yet to say "i believe in you"?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dante posted:

The renminbi appreciating would actually be good for the west, but more importantly even though Russia will probably have some serious import trade shift towards China this will not come close to alleviating the sanctions. Closer economic ties to China is the only path left if the sanctions remain, but you can't get Airbus or Boeing for Aeroflot from China. Russia is an resource export-oriented economy, and if sanctions hit oil&gas for a sustained period of time it will cause huge economic problems as the foreign currency reserves dwindle.

Look there's only one way to settle this! We need year-by-year picture comparisons of his hands. If I'm right his fingers should be distinctly more sausage-like now.

Does Russia have oil/gas pipelines into the industrial parts of China? It’s one thing to say you’re going to sell stuff Europe won’t buy to China instead but it’s a hell of a lot less efficient if you have to load it into individual trucks.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The 40 mile long convoy is a joke right, like the ultimate ruse? You’d only need to take out a tenth of the convoy at varying points to cause an absolute disaster for it.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

dominoeffect posted:

This is still insane to me that they can, on a whim, close the exchange for a week

For context, the NYSE and the Nasdaq didn't open the morning of September 11th when the attacks were already under way, and stayed closed until September 17th.

So it's a thing that happens in the world, but it's obviously Not Good.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I think they’re very focused on using the plane sized gun on the straight line convoy .

Can’t say I blame them

Sure the buks would blow the a10 out of the sky but. …. What if

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Artillery fire support guys are rather exercised too. The only explanation that makes sense is that it's ticket punchers all the way down suddenly asked to do something difficult.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Jaxyon posted:

Feel free to lay the blame at Putin's feet where it belongs :)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

This is idle speculation on my part but it looks like the Russians are dusting off the Soviet Era equipment and using it to soak up the javelins and drone attacks in the hopes that Ukraine runs out of those munitions when the "good stuff" gets there.

Really worried about this long rear end column and the fact that nothing seems to be able to intercept it. I think the knockout punch is coming.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jaxyon posted:

Who do you even mean by 'you'? Almost every country around the world has instituted some form of sanctions with wide popular support. These countries are not hurting regular Russians, Putin is by prosecuting an illegal, pointless, and stupid war. Apologies if we are currently more concerned with the people currently dying and losing their freedom than theoretical future pain for Russians.

In war, people get hurt. Not only is Putin ultimately to blame, but getting hurt in the pocketbook is a minor concern compared to people losing their actual lives and their democratic freedoms.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tenchrono posted:

The 40 mile long convoy is a joke right, like the ultimate ruse? You’d only need to take out a tenth of the convoy at varying points to cause an absolute disaster for it.

I have to believe western intelligence has told them it's bait and Ukraine is showing their usual restraint in not going after it at the moment. That's the only thing I can think of as to why they're leaving it alone.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

dominoeffect posted:

Everybody was expecting the index to crash on Monday and tbh it was quite stable

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The convoy raising is wild. Hopefully they can clap things on the closest end of the border and destroy road functions out of the country.

In doing so trapping the trucks. That's the big thing. These are probably every military truck that can possibly be mustered.

Kyiv could be the site of a decisive victory for Ukraine. Destruction of this column may take heroism but it can be accomplished through sheer will.

Saying that the Russians will simply overwhelm the Ukrainians by sheer number is possibly bullshit. The reason being is that there's a lot of troops outside of kyiv that can close in if the battle starts to turn. Most likely they will start moving closer to the capital.

If there's decisive victory in Kyiv the Russians won't have the thrust to make this thing a victory.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

KitConstantine posted:

Good article about how the Ukrainians used their time today. The author lives in Kyiv so I think he likely has a lot of local access

https://coffeeordie.com/russian-assault-stalls/

Lots of military analysts are saying it's not "stalled" per se, as in no one should be celebrating that Ukraine is winning. There was a deliberate order to stop the small forward groups from suiciding themselves without support, and they switched to a strategy of massing a large force together to siege the cities. The convoy to Kyiv might take around a week to accumulate everything on the outskirts of the city before they artillery the defensive positions and then move in with 10s of thousands of troops. Surrounding the cities will also ensure the supplies of arms and food are stopped to the defenders.

Another interesting tidbit I saw mentioned is that Russia has 100s of warplanes deployed near Ukraine and has not used them yet. It is unknown why they are not involved in establishing air superiority and eliminating the few drones Ukraine has. There were only a few sorties in the first couple of days involving just a few aircraft, most of the aircraft including all the top of the line ones have not been used.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 1, 2022

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It could also be that they're waiting for the convoy to fully deploy and commit before going in, assuming the whole thing isn't bristling with AA and god knows what else. Also weren't those pictures taken a while ago? A lot can happen in the fog of war that the average joe will never be privy to.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

kaaj posted:

Everybody was expecting the index to crash on Monday and tbh it was quite stable

An absolute unit of an economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

So whatever happened to those jets that the Ukrainians were promised?

maybe they get them, though it does not look likely right now. Of the NATO air forces that still operate the Mig-29, Poland is supposedly the only one that kept them in shape and was going to modernize them. I say supposedly because someone itt claimed that they were in poor condition. Who knows, really, but were I any country with old Mig-29s I'd trade them for a strike fighter with modern avionics any day of the week. Poland does have an outstanding order for F-35s...