Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Twitter is making a bunch of the worst people on twitter mad.

He should be happy he doesn't have to preface his every post with copy about being a 'foreign agent' as many Russian media outlets and even individual citizens are required by law. And I mean every post, including private communication like birthday greetings. In fact, Twitter and other platforms should probably allow Russian 'foreign agents' to check a box to display it automatically like this, so they don't have to waste precious characters and space on it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The convoy raising is wild. Hopefully they can clap things on the closest end of the border and destroy road functions out of the country.

In doing so trapping the trucks. That's the big thing. These are probably every military truck that can possibly be mustered.

Kyiv could be the site of a decisive victory for Ukraine. Destruction of this column may take heroism but it can be accomplished through sheer will.

Saying that the Russians will simply overwhelm the Ukrainians by sheer number is possibly bullshit. The reason being is that there's a lot of troops outside of kyiv that can close in if the battle starts to turn. Most likely they will start moving closer to the capital.

If there's decisive victory in Kyiv the Russians won't have the thrust to make this thing a victory.

Where are you getting your operational intel?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kaaj posted:

Everybody was expecting the index to crash on Monday and tbh it was quite stable

the very model of stability

truly Putin's glorious leadership for make benefit of glorious nation of Russia is the cause

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Djarum posted:

The problem is the plan was already in motion. The amount of time, materials and money to stage the invasion was sunk. If he decided to back down all of that would have been down the drain and for a Russian military that has had money problems for decades the time was now. By the time they could afford to stage the operation again the West would have likely built up Ukraine even more than they did, likely with more modern hardware making things more dicey, completely ignoring a potential EU/NATO membership.

I don’t think Putin expected the resistance or the massive support for Ukraine and blowback to them from effectively the world. Even if they do “win” it will ultimately be a loss. Every goal that Putin was after has now blown up spectacularly in his face. NATO and the EU are stronger than they have been in decades, the sphere of influence from Russia is going to be nearly irrelevant, their economy is going to be in ruins and even their highly successful destabilization programs around the world are likely going to be toast going forward.

What someone said earlier about China gaining more influence over them is right. The big winner in all of this is China. They got to see a dry run for the invasion of Taiwan and learn from it. They are going to reap all the benefits and not take any blowback from it at all.
The winner if this conflict doesn't get resolved quickly (which is unlikely) is China for sure, but I doubt there's much to learn here for China when it comes to Taiwan. Taiwan is an island, it has very modern defensive capabilities because it's supplied directly by the US and also the likelihood that the US would straight up intervene is very high (which it basically reserves the right to in the Taiwan Relations Act). More importantly China is the main geopolitical rival of the US for the foreseeable future, and Taiwan is a tremendously useful ally for the US in that regard. As for China, they're much more likely to get reunification by influencing politics through the pan-Blue coalition than by occupation.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ukrainian Military update

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1498502294379376642?s=20&t=89AApYGM22rIRzmZKkxTSw

Text:

quote:

Despite the fact that the enemy is losing offensive potential, he continues to inflict fire on military and civilian targets and continues to conduct reconnaissance aircraft of the CAF of the RF Armed Forces, including using the airspace of the Republic of Belarus.

Given that the enemy does not abandon the aspirations to achieve its goal, and its own offensive potential is almost exhausted, plans to join the most trained military units of the Republic of Belarus, completing the concentration along the State Border of Ukraine.

The situation around Kyiv remains tense. In Polissya, the enemy continues to try to resume the offensive in the direction of the capital.

Russian occupation forces are using tactics to destroy infrastructure and launch missile and bomb strikes on settlements, disregarding international humanitarian law.

In the Black Sea, due to adverse weather conditions, a naval landing operation in the coming days is unlikely. Most of the Black Sea Fleet's naval group is based.

In all directions, units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine with the support of artillery and UAVs "Bayraktar TV2" maintain certain boundaries.

The enemy did not succeed in any of the areas.

#stoprussia

Генеральний штаб ЗСУ / General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Deteriorata posted:

I have to believe western intelligence has told them it's bait and Ukraine is showing their usual restraint in not going after it at the moment. That's the only thing I can think of as to why they're leaving it alone.

it's a convoy that, among other things, is full of advanced aa systems, cnc and ewar vehicles. It's no doubt having artillery fired at it as much as the ukranians are able, but that's a spicy thing to actually get anything airborne near

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

kaaj posted:

Everybody was expecting the index to crash on Monday and tbh it was quite stable

Can't lose your economy if you never activate it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498504653734092801

... they're running out of manpower at the front already?

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

Does Russia have oil/gas pipelines into the industrial parts of China? It’s one thing to say you’re going to sell stuff Europe won’t buy to China instead but it’s a hell of a lot less efficient if you have to load it into individual trucks.

Yes:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_of_Siberia, but also more importantly shipping LNG and brent crude is unproblematic. Plenty of oil tankers in the world.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Varinn posted:

A lot of people are going to have to square their support for the massive crowds of russian anti war protestors with their glee at the looming massive collapse of the russian economy and the absolute terror that its going to visit on many of those people

putin bears a great deal of blame for this (before people claim i think he doesn't) but its willfully stupid to think that this wasnt the goal of the sanctions, especially with how intense they are now. theyre a bomb designed to ensure the people with the least in a country suffer the most.

I hear what you're saying. These broad economic sanctions will immiserate the Russian populace. It's horrible. I understand that with state control of the media, vast portions of the Russian population is being misled about this brutal war of conquest. I understand that Russia is not a democracy, and the people don't really have the ability to vote in new rulers, or even protest without risk of detention. As soon as an equitable peace is reached, I think all the sanctions should be dropped. Relief efforts should even be considered.

That said, what can the rest of the world do to protect the Ukrainians? They can't attack or provide a no fly zone, or they risk a nuclear war. They can supply arms and intelligence, but that, at best, will lead to a long brutal partisan fight, leading to even more deaths for both sides of this conflict. Economic sanctions are the only chance that the rest of the world has, at blunting this attack and forcing Russian leadership to the negotiating table. The truth is, we are in un-charted territory with these sanctions. My hope is that given the unprecedented nature of these sanctions, it will bring a swift end to the Russian invasion of Ukraine and save as many lives as possible.

I think the reason why some of the responses to your concerns are glib, is because this is a war of choice, by an authoritarian leader, whose rambling speeches and written works, indicate that he believes that there is no such thing as Ukraine, Ukrainian people, or Ukrainian culture. So, when I hear some people, say that Putin's hand was forced, or that there is plenty of blame to go around, I start to think things like: why is it that the blameless Russian peoples misery more important to protect than the blameless Ukrainian peoples (I include ethnic Russians and otehrs in this group btw) ? Why is the best diplomatic option a quick surrender and complete loss of Ukrainian sovereignty? Shouldn't that decision be left to the citizens of Ukraine? If you buy into the premise that only Putin and his oligarchs run the show in Russia, and the Russians themselves are oppressed, then how does surrender to these same people mean that things are going to turn out any better for the Ukrainian citizens?

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 1, 2022

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

kaaj posted:

So I'm trying to think now (I'm sorry). With the extra week when MOEX stays closed, Russian image on a global markets will not really change but a lot of things can happen regardless. From "Russian economy crumbles to pieces" to "Russian economy is in trouble". But assuming that Russia manages to work out some economical partnership with China, it would give Putin enough of a leverage to continue not giving a gently caress.

Which in it's own way would be bad for the West, strengthening the yuan.

I really hope that instead somebody in the Ural bunker will do the right thing though.

This is a bit of a fantasy, the rail links between China and Russia just aren't strong enough to overcome the de facto embargo of its Black sea and Baltic ports(as the number of Russian and Chinese flagged ships is rather low(about 3.5% of global total), and no one else can really cash the checks). It takes a week, and moves only 9 trains per day. Expanding that is the project of a decade. It moves only 114 million tons a year (bidirectional). Its just not that great as a sole source of finished goods. for context you would expect somewhere in the billions of tons of freight capacity to support Russian demand for goods. Its long sea routes, lots of ships flagged and headquartered elsewhere, and a narrow rail route.

And just closing your exchange dost mean those assets don't lose value, just that it shows that this is a government that wont let you sell it. That inherently lowers its value.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 1, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like even talking about China right now is pretty drat silly, that is so much a lesser issue that I can't bring myself to care if China benefits or loses from this scenario.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Putin or Puutin?

Pootin

Dante posted:

Look there's only one way to settle this! We need year-by-year picture comparisons of his hands. If I'm right his fingers should be distinctly more sausage-like now.

trick question, they were always (absurdly, as it turns out) sausage-like

Play fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 1, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

When this is over, I guess we'll have to wait to hear from the Russian people if they think the sanctions were just. We already know what the Ukrainian people think.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

China is relevant for a number of reasons. But I absolutely agree with an earlier post that minimum Russia just became their Canada when this is done.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Play posted:

I feel like even talking about China right now is pretty drat silly, that is so much a lesser issue that I can't bring myself to care if China benefits or loses from this scenario.

Pootin

trick question, they were always (absurdly, as it turns out) sausage-like

is that actually his hand? It looks comically chunky

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

dominoeffect posted:

Putins banger fingers

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's a convoy that, among other things, is full of advanced aa systems, cnc and ewar vehicles. It's no doubt having artillery fired at it as much as the ukranians are able, but that's a spicy thing to actually get anything airborne near

Does the road though? It seems like just bombing the road in front of them stalls them for days.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

ethanol posted:

I think they’re very focused on using the plane sized gun on the straight line convoy .

Can’t say I blame them

Sure the buks would blow the a10 out of the sky but. …. What if

Hey if they don't want to hear the sky farting, I don't know what to say.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Feel free to lay the blame at Putin's feet where it belongs :)

Hes enforcing sanctions on himself? I dont think that's how this works.

Play posted:

Who do you even mean by 'you'? Almost every country around the world has instituted some form of sanctions with wide popular support. These countries are not hurting regular Russians, Putin is by prosecuting an illegal, pointless, and stupid war. Apologies if we are currently more concerned with the people currently dying and losing their freedom than theoretical future pain for Russians.

In war, people get hurt. Not only is Putin ultimately to blame, but getting hurt in the pocketbook is a minor concern compared to people losing their actual lives and their democratic freedoms.

"You" as in people handwaiving the suffering of the average Russian.

Hey maybe this time that thing that doesnt ever work will work! Let's try it, it's only the people I dont know that will pay for it!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Hes enforcing sanctions on himself? I dont think that's how this works.

Hey maybe this time that thing that doesnt ever work will work! Let's try it, it's only the people I dont know that will pay for it!

No, don't be silly. Most people here probably feel loving awful for the Russian conscripts in those convoys when they get Javelin'd, too, and we still think we should Javelin them. Same here. It loving sucks but dems the bones right now and the world sucks.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also the sanctions can always be lifted. Ukrainian civilians being murdered can't be un-murdered.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jaxyon posted:

So is your position that Russia should be allowed to invade any county it wants or that NATO should be shooting at them for doing it?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I'm surprised Ukrainian forces wouldn't be targeting that buildup with their remaining Tochkas. Seems like a good way to disperse a convoy like that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Since we have like only 3-4 stills total of and it looks like a bunch of canvas covered 6x6s I’m going to cling to the hope it’s just the latest of boondoggles

Like imagine finding out your divisions supplies are gridlocked half way between a 40 mile line to the wrong front because somebody just followed the next guy in line.

somebody also pointed out one grad needs a truckload of missiles to reload. That’s a lot of trucks

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I definitely feel like the Chinese are loving this if for no other reason that if this continues, they can probably buy Russian mines and natural resources and so forth at fire-sale prices.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I'm surprised Ukrainian forces wouldn't be targeting that buildup with their remaining Tochkas. Seems like a good way to disperse a convoy like that.

The convoy thing is strange, I don't know if I think the Ukrainians have the ability to target it or if it's some kind of trap.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/KaitoReport/status/1498431918358077443

So that's what the Tiktok tutorial is for... :v:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The issue is fundamentally there's no way to harm the Russian leadership without harming the average Russian. It's a huge economy where the state has vast control of the media, corporations, and administration. Civil society has been snuffed out over the last decade.

In of itself this is something the world can tolerate, but the Russian government has spent decades waging a campaign of subversion, misinformation, and cyber warfare against the west. It's escalated to outright invading their neighbors, first with Georgia, now Ukraine. This crossed a magical, arbitrary line at some point, but it's not an isolated incident.

The average Russian is already being harmed by their government, either directly through state sponsored oppression or indirectly through rampant corruption and parasitism as their efforts are diverted to harm themselves and others around the world. It sucks, and ideally it would eventually implode on its own after Putin's death, but suddenly we ran out of time to wait for that and need to cripple Russia and the mafia state that controls it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

it's almost like we live in an imperfect world where tradeoffs and hard decisions have to be made sometimes! if there was a good way to save the lives of Ukrainians without hurting the Russian economy I'd be all for it. But concerns about people's lives, freedoms and right to self-determination trumps my concern over Russian pocketbooks, I will freely admit that.

I guess you feel like you are above such choices. More power to you, I guess

dominoeffect posted:

goddamn hand chode

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Kyiv Cathedral cam is super dark/unclear on the group stream i have on so I've been trying to find another one. I ended up on the website for the monastery in Kyiv, Kyiv Caves Lavra founded in 1074. They've been livestreaming services even during the war. I was raised Catholic but the religious iconography and the ritual of it still loving hits me hard even though I know it's a very different denomination. Listening to the one from 2/27 right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhyGwnauqI8

From their history

quote:

Beginning from the 40es of the 13th century and till the beginning of the 14th century, the Kiev-Caves Lavra witnessed Tatar Mongol Yoke and suffered disasters together with the civilians.

I dunno man. It's loving me up. A direct chain of history unbroken for a thousand years nearly and it's under threat again.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

There's a myth or legend that those caves go all the way to Chernihiv. I roamed in the Chernihiv caves. Spooky stuff.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Play posted:

goddamn hand chode

best fingerings in the kremlin

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Play posted:

it's almost like we live in an imperfect world where tradeoffs and hard decisions have to be made sometimes! if there was a good way to save the lives of Ukrainians without hurting the Russian economy I'd be all for it. But concerns about people's lives, freedoms and right to self-determination trumps my concern over Russian pocketbooks, I will freely admit that.

I think Jaxyon wants people to acknowledge the very real human suffering that the path they advocate is likely to cause, regardless of whether or not they believe it's the best path forward that will lead to the least amount of suffering. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Play posted:

goddamn hand chode

Now I see why Trump's hands are so small, Putin deflated them to make his bigger.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Majorian posted:

I think Jaxyon wants people to acknowledge the very real human suffering that the path they advocate is likely to cause, regardless of whether or not they believe it's the best path forward that will lead to the least amount of suffering. I don't think that's unreasonable.

It's their utter indifference to the more immediate and real suffering of Ukrainian civilians that is aggravating. It's no different from #AllLivesMatter.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Can you go scream into a pillow or whatever else will help you not say things like this in the thread about Russia invading Ukraine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Between this and Ottawa, this year really has « dumbasses in a convoy » for a theme.

Kinda missing Covid at this point.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

So is your position that Russia should be allowed to invade any county it wants or that NATO should be shooting at them for doing it?

They're all bad options and that's what's important, being able to be outraged at the US (or NATO) no matter what happens.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

The Kyiv Cathedral cam is super dark/unclear on the group stream i have on so I've been trying to find another one. I ended up on the website for the monastery in Kyiv, Kyiv Caves Lavra founded in 1074. They've been livestreaming services even during the war. I was raised Catholic but the religious iconography and the ritual of it still loving hits me hard even though I know it's a very different denomination. Listening to the one from 2/27 right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhyGwnauqI8

From their history

I dunno man. It's loving me up. A direct chain of history unbroken for a thousand years nearly and it's under threat again.

An Orthodox monastery called St. Michael's Golden Domed Monastery played a key role in the Euromaidan protests, as did the religious leaders there. It's quite beautiful and apparently is the center of the Orthodox church in Ukraine.

I wonder what the monks and priests there think of the leader of the Orthodox Church in Russia endorsing their destruction.

Majorian posted:

I freely acknowledge that. I bemoan that fact that this has become necessary or wise. I despite Putin and everything he has done to harm the Russian people, of which this is only the latest episode. And I wish there were a way to stop or hurt him that didn't hurt anyone else. I hope the Russians do not have to suffer to much, and I pray for a quick end to all of this. But I still believe in its necessity at this moment in time 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Play posted:

goddamn hand chode

Грязный потускневший