Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I gotta say, double greatswords is great, especially the jump attack. Jumping off my horse and just demolishing a dude has been one of my high points yesterday. Also looks like it does a ton of posture damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Valdent posted:

After having done a little testing with only around 18-20 faith I definitely want to do a frenzy eye laser

the what now

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I’m starting to really despise playing int, spells rarely feel potent enough for the cost and there are surprisingly few weapon options I like. Seems like if you’re int you’re stuck doing various forms of blue kool aid damage while faith can dip its toes into fire lightning physical and also get better support spells. Just about the only thing I like about int is the cold infusion, which makes my plain old scythe very potent. It still scales better with dexterity though.

But I want to do that quest line for the darkmoon greatsword equivalent and become the next great frost witch who ends the world :(

In short, int sucks, be smooth brain

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Alrighty, after some prolonged fighting I defeated the two brick walls that remained in the game for me (Isolated Merchant Shack's Ball Bearing Hunter, and the big black gargoyle outside the beast cleric's church). I really should go figure out where that glintstone key is at some point. Oh, I also went back and picked up Knight Oleg's ashes summon. He seems like he's got a pretty sick moveset, but I still need to check his damage and health to see if he's worth upgrading with my precious few ashes mats.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I got like two shot by one of the bosses in the Caria Manor, so i figured I'd just summon 2 phantoms and buff.

I'm standing at the fog gate, popping the blessing, drinking physik, casting beast heal, using the arc, start eating consumables while my phantoms are pointing at the door and making other gestures

we get in and between the two of them they took down the boss in under a minute while I was only able to hit it with an R1 once LOL

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
Also I can’t find any ash more effective than Square off. It does so much damage, stagger, puts you low to the ground, and costs so little fp, casting sorceries seems like a waste.

I use sword dance for my scythe. Builds up frost and bleed real fast.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

AnEdgelord posted:

when you go through the first Four Belfry portal to Crumbling Farum Azula, is it supposed to be a dead end or am I missing something?

I also have this same question.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I still haven't even touched any spells or the related stats at all. Just going to town with my trusty twin blade and longbow.

Oh and can't forget my best ally:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm level 40 and I think I should probably head down to Stormveil castle sometime soon. Because I was exploring and ended up on the doorstep of Raya Lucaria academy and thought "Hey, I probably should go to the first main place before I come here. "

I've been all over exploring, thinking "nah I'm not gonna go there yet" and ended up going all around Liurnia as well.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

huh posted:

I also have this same question.

The only one that seemed worthwhile to visit was the prologue Cathedral, since it has that boss and a renowned ash summon.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Auriza's Hero's Grave is an intensely rude place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

War-Dead Catacombs

Pluses: Is a bunch of high level mobs fighting each other and thus slowly earning XP for you while you rxplore

Minuses: Is way, way, way the hell out of the way. Has a curserot variation of the putrid tree guardian boss that on grab kills me from max HP even with 40 vit.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Holy poo poo I love mounted combat. Beat Night Cavalry on my second try, that was sick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Level 28, still can't beat Margit even using a spirit.

Done a lot of exploring in this game and really tried not to rush to this boss but whenever I come back I can barely even get him halfway. I dunno man.

What level is your weapon. You can get to +12 without ever fighting him but a +6 or better will likely make short work of him

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

I can't hope to kill a dragon.

Reading back on the thread, if you need a quick income go farm the little goblins at Farum greatbridge. It's a high level location but you can summon spirits to help you too. Do D's quest line to be teleported to a location, then just run outside (watch the big guy) and reach the grace just a little bit down the hill next to a bridge. Use this as a reset point and farm some nasty little guys, they give around 1000 runes per kill, but they can also hit hard.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm trying to decide if I should invest my additional low level mats in upgrading my jousting weapon or if I should spend it on my off-hand sword for power stance bleeding shenanigans

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
In the middle of a difficult fight, a crucible knight just sprouted wings and did a dive attack right off a ledge to its death. I have its shield now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, did I pick a bad time to visit, or...?

I'm so lost in this area by the way. I got some vague guidance ("Find the glintstone key to break the academy seal") but I have zero leads on where that is, so I'm just sort of wandering around and coming up empty-handed. I found some key item near where that screenshot was taken that seems important but probably unrelated, and it makes me think I missed an NPC or side quest somewhere.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 1, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, did I pick a bad time to visit, or...?

I'm so lost in this area by the way. I got some vague guidance ("Find the glintstone key to break the academy seal") but I have zero leads on where that is, so I'm just sort of wandering around and coming up empty. I found some key item near where that screenshot was taken that seems important but probably unrelated, and it makes me think I missed an NPC or side quest somewhere.

Go to the academy front door, look at the item on the corpse, go get your key

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i somehow missed all the maps in Liurnia of the Lakes

it's very upsetting to be exploring in this unknown grey mass

the crucible knight is a fun fight.

birb is a good summon.

figuring out how to get to the dragon ruins was an awesome moment

i couldn't find the brigand who took the stooped ladies necklace, but then I realized there was a message next to her that explained it perfectly. That person is too good for this world.

dodgeblan fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 1, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started as prisoner and thought I wanted to do like an int attacking build but now I’m like wow there are so many options to use your FP and I kind of don’t want to use INT at all

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
There's been a lot of talk about a lot of things but I've seen NO posts about the tortoise pope I almost just killed

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dodgeblan posted:

i somehow missed all the maps in Liurnia of the Lakes

it's very upsetting to be exploring in this unknown grey mass

The map locations are marked on your map already. Look for the obelisk icons in the empty grey areas.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cobalt60 posted:

There's been a lot of talk about a lot of things but I've seen NO posts about the tortoise pope I almost just killed

I love him

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The map locations are marked on your map already. Look for the obelisk icons in the empty grey areas.

what the gently caress

thank you tarnished

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Barudak posted:

Go to the academy front door, look at the item on the corpse, go get your key

Thanks. I visited one of the doors (the southern one) and didn't find anything of note there, but it's possible I missed something, or I need to visit the northern door.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

saw a dude in coop usimg what looked like a bigger, 2 handed morning star. Anyone have any idea what it could have been?

Edit: ok wtf, Ranni isnt spawned at the tower shes supposed to be at. Its empty up there. I met her already at the start of the game.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 1, 2022

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
in the middle of holding an R2 charge hit circle and see what happens

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
Also is it just me or does the whip kind of gently caress in this game? I don’t have any arts for it sadly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there a way to farm Smithing Stones (1) early game? I have been carrying a bigass sword +3, but now I have found a biggerass axe, and it's stuck at +2. I have just killed Magrit, the Fell Omen, and I'm exploring the castle after it (gently caress hawks).

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
If you're doing an Int build and like melee then don't sleep on Moonveil, it's a really great weapon. I had been using a shield and magic partizan +2 before i switched to it, and it's just a massive upgrade in offensive capabilities. the weapon art for it does good AoE damage and the strong version insta-crumples most enemies.

also i don't see nearly enough people in coop abusing jumping strong attacks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
About 20 hours in and making my way through Stormveil. I was afraid that me exploring for the better part of that time would make me overleveled but Stormveil is still a mean bastard of a dungeon.

Also I love Bloody Slash. It is almost too good. Almost.

EDIT: It feels like there are a while lot more options in play this time around. Like FROM decided that they would make you feel kind of like a Souls boss without losing that edge.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 1, 2022

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm very late to the party but I'm steadily working my way through all the little dungeons in limgrave and having a ball.

And I do not think I've seen anyone mention the little head that says hellooooooo to you but I found him and he's my friend now and I carry him in my pocket everywhere.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Filthy Haiku posted:

Also is it just me or does the whip kind of gently caress in this game? I don’t have any arts for it sadly.

Where do I find a whip?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo the boss that mimics you mimics you exactly in what you come into the fight equipped with, down to special moves. You can exploit the hell out of this or just counter guard it to death.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whew, this offline period has been pretty fun. Only a little annoying when I try to write a message and can't. Just went into this black knife dungeon and it had a secret boss on top of the normal boss. The secret boss even let you summon the Vampire Hunter D dude from roundtable. Honestly only way I can see beating that fight, tiny room, long combos that span the room, backstabs if you gently caress up or try to chug. Also starts fight with a nearly 1 shot red wave that's tough to react to in time. With two people and the spells he has it was a more survivable ordeal.

You get a crit restore fp necklace and some other deal maybe a spell.

Augus posted:

yeah if he gets too far out of his arena he teleports back to where he spawned. just go back over to him, his health will still be where you left it

Hmmm, I was still very close to the tower he spawned by. He did a magic spell animation before he zooted off. He also dipped immediately once I knocked him down to 50% but who knows, he also liked to "land" while a few feet in the air sometimes.

youcallthatatwist posted:

I'm very late to the party but I'm steadily working my way through all the little dungeons in limgrave and having a ball.

And I do not think I've seen anyone mention the little head that says hellooooooo to you but I found him and he's my friend now and I carry him in my pocket everywhere.

I got one that says "let's get to it" but don't have the hello one. Love when ppl use it tho.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

AndrewP posted:

Level 28, still can't beat Margit even using a spirit.

Done a lot of exploring in this game and really tried not to rush to this boss but whenever I come back I can barely even get him halfway. I dunno man.

Find patches cave off of the lake branch path, he has an item that can help you. Other than that, I think Margit is more or less a type pattern for a decent number of bosses to come, try to read his moves

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Cobalt60 posted:

i beat crubible knight by using the elevator - he fell in the hole below

Oh honey, dat's baby crucible knight. There is still large crucible knight and lightning crucible knight, and those are just the ones I found so far.

(Lightning crucible knight was super fun to fight tho)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

hazardousmouse posted:

holy poo poo the boss of Siofra is hauntingly beautiful
I loved this fight

Which one? I've seen (and not necessarily activated) at least two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Filthy Haiku posted:

I’m starting to really despise playing int, spells rarely feel potent enough for the cost and there are surprisingly few weapon options I like. Seems like if you’re int you’re stuck doing various forms of blue kool aid damage while faith can dip its toes into fire lightning physical and also get better support spells. Just about the only thing I like about int is the cold infusion, which makes my plain old scythe very potent. It still scales better with dexterity though.

But I want to do that quest line for the darkmoon greatsword equivalent and become the next great frost witch who ends the world :(

In short, int sucks, be smooth brain

I've said this a few times before in the thread, but Int gets really, really, really good. Sure, you basically do magic damage and have one physical spell, but you get so many cool little tricks for doing damage in various ways that can hard counter or cheese enemies outright. You do have to pump int pretty hard though, and get mind up to at least 20 (and it turns out that FP actually scales better post 20, which is nuts). I'm currently rocking around 61 int and a staff that's better than the early game one (finally!), and have started to one-shot some enemies that are worth 1k+ souls from way outside of their aggro radius. poo poo is hilarious and only gets stronger as time goes on.