Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Can we now stop describing nuclear weapons as "clancy chat" lol

The article you are talking about describes covert poisoning (something Soviets employed a lot) in the same breath as nuclear weapons, it is worthless sensationalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/maria_avdv/status/1498544825062375434?s=20&t=C-Mgpd3df9L2lQOpS8Y2bg

holy loving poo poo

ik edit: :nms:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 1, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Am I mistaken in thinking that most nuclear nations would have thought of the whole “lol nope I’m not gonna obey this order to launch nukes” conundrum that everyone is banking on as the last resort? Like, when the order trails down beyond the brass, will the rank and file understand what they’re putting in motion?

Let me be clear: I don’t think there’s a singular chance in hell that Putin will go nuclear over this, unless NATO is literally bombing Russian soil (they won’t). I’m just asking if there isn’t infrastructure in place to ensure that the Big Red Button will do what it’s meant to do.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Kharkov and Kherson are just cutoff points to encircle the Ukrainian line of contact.

I wikipedia edited the end of the long peace as Feb 23rd.

Someone fixed it with this:
- until reliable sources state that the Russian invasion of Ukraine was the end of the long peace this article should not say it.

Big lol

What I meant was Putin could still destroy some of those cities (and it looks like he is), and then maybe force Kyiv to surrender.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 1, 2022

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

gently caress

Rah! fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 1, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

dominoeffect posted:

Sure, but if we're to believe the current analysis, then Russia has more than enough manpower, equipment, and supplies to carry out serious destruction in Ukraine. What if there are enough existing resources that the economy doesn't matter for this effort?

Most likely it doesn't, if he's set on finishing this war. If we're being honest, if he's set on it and doesn't have sufficient internal opposition, there's not much anyone can do to stop him from finishing off Ukraine, at least in a conventional war sense. But it would make it harder for him to start other wars, make it harder for him to put down an insurgency, and ratchet up internal pressure on his government, among other things.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"but the poor will suffer more than the rich and powerful!" congratulations you have discovered the secret behind every war in human history

Or just, you know, life in general.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fatherboxx posted:

Please share thoughts and prayers for my countrymen who wouldnt be able to pay for netflix anymore. Truly a gruesome fate.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1498503393630998531?s=20&t=LwjO_9zcCAzgRmHC1hDKOg

Funny how just a few months ago everyone expected them to bend the knee.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

orange sky posted:

holy loving poo poo

Read the rules in this thread, please spoil that poo poo. Obvious video of people dying

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Is that a gov building? Are they going straight for leadership decapitation? There are too many people watching and caring for this to continue. All the options are pretty bad.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 1, 2022

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

fatherboxx posted:

The article you are talking about describes covert poisoning (something Soviets employed a lot) in the same breath as nuclear weapons, it is worthless sensationalism.

Fiona Hill is not a sensationalist. She has been trumpeting the warnings of exactly what has happened for years now. She is one of the foremost experts on the subject and regions in the world. And frankly she is right, Purim’s radioactive and nerve agent assassinations were nuclear and biological weapons that effected a lot of people in a foreign country. If the UK did that within Russia do you think they would have let things slide like they did?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

that is an extremely brutal economic sanction going off right there, drat

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

the popes toes posted:

There are too many people watching and caring for this to continue. All the options are pretty bad.

yesterday they shelled residential blocks with cluster munitions

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Djarum posted:

Here is a VERY, VERY good and informative interview with Fiona Hill, who is probably the foremost expert on Putin in the Western world.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340

Pro-click

This paragraph in particular struck me:

quote:

But this is also a full-spectrum information war, and what happens in a Russian “all-of-society” war, you soften up the enemy. You get the Tucker Carlsons and Donald Trumps doing your job for you. The fact that Putin managed to persuade Trump that Ukraine belongs to Russia, and that Trump would be willing to give up Ukraine without any kind of fight, that’s a major success for Putin’s information war. I mean he has got swathes of the Republican Party — and not just them, some on the left, as well as on the right — masses of the U.S. public saying, “Good on you, Vladimir Putin,” or blaming NATO, or blaming the U.S. for this outcome. This is exactly what a Russian information war and psychological operation is geared towards. He’s been carefully seeding this terrain as well. We’ve been at war, for a very long time. I’ve been saying this for years.

Information war, hybrid war and grey-zone tactics have always been Putin's strong points, particularly when it comes to engaging with the west. A few weeks ago I was discussing the Ukraine thing with a friend of mine who is pretty knowledgeable on Russia's history and their immediate take was "Putin won't straight up invade because he does so well in the grey zone, give him time and he will find a way to achieve his goals without needing to roll tanks in." Obviously with 20/20 hindsight this was incorrect, but I still find it to be an interesting (and not a bad) take given what we had seen at that point - more like using the correct working in a math problem but coming to the wrong answer because you flubbed an assumption.

I think the gloves have come off at this juncture and as we can see Putin is 100% willing to roll tanks, but you can be absolutely sure that information war, grey zone tactics and hybrid war will be used to effect moving forward, particularly against the west. So far, these tactics have been worryingly successful.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the popes toes posted:

Is that a gov building? Are they going straight for leadership decapitation? There are too many people watching and caring for this to continue. All the options are pretty bad.

Attacking the loving mayor's office is in no way leadership decapitation, it's manufacturing a humanitarian crisis by severing people from structures they rely on locally.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Someone mentioned Euromaidan before and I wanted to check who was Ukrainian president at the time... I found this little nugget of information about the Presidential Award...

quote:

Presidential awards

The distinction of "Honorary Weapon" is awarded by the president. The specific weapon is a 9-mm caliber Fort-21.02 pistol with 16 bullets. The body pistol is made of structural steel, with the handle is made of noble wood. The name of the awardee is engraved on the plate. This distinction was established in 1995 under the President Leonid Kuchma, who himself has awarded the most pistols, numbering at 85. From 1995 to 2018, the Presidents have issued honorary weapons to 152 persons. Since 2019, no one has been awarded an honorary weapon
Getting the feeling that's going to change....

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

Pro-click

This paragraph in particular struck me:

Information war, hybrid war and grey-zone tactics have always been Putin's strong points, particularly when it comes to engaging with the west. A few weeks ago I was discussing the Ukraine thing with a friend of mine who is pretty knowledgeable on Russia's history and their immediate take was "Putin won't straight up invade because he does so well in the grey zone, give him time and he will find a way to achieve his goals without needing to roll tanks in." Obviously with 20/20 hindsight this was incorrect, but I still find it to be an interesting (and not a bad) take given what we had seen at that point - more like using the correct working in a math problem but coming to the wrong answer because you flubbed an assumption.

I think the gloves have come off at this juncture and as we can see Putin is 100% willing to roll tanks, but you can be absolutely sure that information war, grey zone tactics and hybrid war will be used to effect moving forward, particularly against the west. So far, these tactics have been worryingly successful.

The reason this stupid stuff works is that we can’t really trust our politicians to be honest with us, so it’s reasonable to assume lies even if there are not.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

that is an extremely brutal economic sanction going off right there, drat

it's basically the same thing as going to an ATM and not being able to get any money out if you think about it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The way out for him is kill everybody. Losing means he’s done. All the suffering coming is inconsequential to this man in the face of that.

This is going to be really bad really soon.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

I'm really afraid what the escalation will be if this becomes norm. If it's just to scare people away, the effect will not be what Putin is intending to receive. The unification and support of the people will be there for the army / resistance and whoever will not evacuate, will have blood in their eyes when seeing Russians.

If he's aiming to repeat what the US did with the Korean War bombings (which so far does not seem to be the case), I can't imagine world standing by idly and watching.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 1, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rah! posted:

What about Kharkiv and various other cities though

they already started loving them up

They are going to claim Ukrainians bombed them themselves when retreating. It's already the official line.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hopefully I'm not reposting something from hours ago but here's a Canadian comedian and haemophiliac traveling to fight in Ukraine in a move I can only characterize as brave but stupid and couterproductive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60563278

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

Attacking the loving mayor's office is in no way leadership decapitation, it's manufacturing a humanitarian crisis by severing people from structures they rely on locally.

Looks like they targetted the Azov recruiting station

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The way out for him is kill everybody. Losing means he’s done. All the suffering coming is inconsequential to this man in the face of that.

This is going to be really bad really soon.

I am going to be that gullible dumbass and say that he has 2 (or 3, not really confirmed) daighters so no, he wouldnt take everyone with him please stop nuke chat

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

the popes toes posted:

Not clear if they were aiming at the building, but they missed it. There's a video with the aftermath, only the car park got hit, and there's hope nobody died.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Let's be honest here, if not for Russia's nukes and long range missiles the West would already be in open conflict with them over this. The only reason we're not is because it would escalate horrifically.

In that situation there would be sanctions and blocks on trade as well. It's all on Putin, he's the one who decided to go to war.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1498554157535481856
It's still standing
(yeah yeah yeah)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 1, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
As someone of Ukrainian heritage, I can't help but take ashen consolation in the fact that this misadventure will reap nothing but ruin for Putin. His enemies are energized and momentarily united, Russia's economy is getting slammed into the ground, his allies (and the world at large) are witnessing the institutional rot compromising the effectiveness of his intelligence and military apparatus, and his fairweather friends are finding it's in their better interest to either sit this one out or fill out the back row among his enemies.

Whether or not this is immediately the end for Putin, this is certainly the beginning of the end. It's just a shame how many innocent Ukrainians will die and suffer in the death throes of everything he worked to create. God save Ukraine and Russia, may the spymaster rot in hell when this is all over.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BrotherJayne posted:

Oh my god people are unironically saying this

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1498549404529270784?t=ujYBcSs6mc4PQVTiIYBQTw&s=19

Shooting cruise missiles at a city center, just a surgical strike at homonazis folks

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 1, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BrotherJayne posted:

If children hospitals are reclassified as nazi training camps, it is impossible to commit war crimes against them! One weird trick the UN doesn't want you to learn about!

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1498549404529270784?t=ujYBcSs6mc4PQVTiIYBQTw&s=19

Shooting cruise missiles at a city center, just a surgical strike at homonazis folks

That twitter account is very pro-russian, just fyi

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 1, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

I am going to be that gullible dumbass and say that he has 2 (or 3, not really confirmed) daighters so no, he wouldnt take everyone with him please stop nuke chat

This isn’t nuke chat. This is an extreme answer for dealing with the insurgency this will become is to conventionally genocide the civilians.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Runaktla posted:

The reason this stupid stuff works is that we can’t really trust our politicians to be honest with us, so it’s reasonable to assume lies even if there are not.

While you are of course correct, it's important to remember that eroding at the foundation of the concept of truth is one of the key goals in information warfare. If we don't think we can believe anyone because everything is just lies and has always been lies anyway, then anything can be truth or a lie at any point depending on our personal biases. Qanon is almost exclusively built on this notion.

Sally Sprodgkin fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 1, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BrotherJayne posted:

google maps / streetview looks an awful lot like the kharkiv admin building at the given address https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...57!4d36.2363702

so if you would like to post an alternative source for why you think it's the nazi place, now's the time, buddy

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

google maps / streetview looks an awful lot like the kharkiv admin building at the given address https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...57!4d36.2363702

so if you would like to post an alternative source for why you think it's the nazi place, now's the time, buddy

I think the comment might have been tongue-in-cheek, but I could be mistaken

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They were being sarcastic to mock tankies to cope with the horrors seen

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

tough to tell sometimes, i guess

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

They're going to be identifying fifty Azov recruiting stations a day soon, and after flattening those imagined Azov recruiting stations they'll be dealing with actual Azov recruiting stations. Nothing breeds reaction like war.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

It's 100% sincere, read the replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

tough to tell sometimes, i guess

If that poster is joking, they made the same "joke" in C-Spam.

And as someone who knows someone in Kharkiv, I'm reaaaallllllllyyyyy not keen on "jokes" right now.