Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Have we seen any evidence at all about the destroyed ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

OgNar posted:

Just remember losses doesnt mean death or destroyed.
It also mean captured or surrendered.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498574179188330501

I have to reiterate how useless a casualty count done be an opposing side is, especially in a conflict as chaotic as this. Equipment losses can be a lot more reliable, because it be corroborated by a varierty of sources after the fact.

Trump fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 1, 2022

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Sanguinia posted:

lol I know insanely little about European politics and even I know that the idea that the US is promoting conflict in Europe because otherwise Russia would dominate Germany and France and create a European Super-bloc to challenge the US is nonsense. Aside from the inherent silliness of this proposition, do they not think the UK, or Turkey, or Poland might have some feelings or influence in this supposed Russo-Hegemonic European Consensus based on their geography/relative wealth/relative militarization within the Eurosphere? Hell, SPAIN has a bigger economy than Russia does, maybe they'll dominate France and Germany first.

Yeah, no need for the US to promote conflict in Europe, most countries here do a pretty good job of that themselves. It just seems that take is 100% through the lens of someone sitting in China and having a slighty vague idea of the history of the Europe.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

Thinking Putin will nuke insurgents in Ukraine is going beyond Clancy chat. Anyways, he has the Chechens to do all the dirty urban combat work for him.

I know several o-3-5 that have noted that they think there's a non insignificant chance that tactical nuclear weapons could be deployed if Putin feels objectives aren't being met. Anecdotal I know, but to completely dismiss the notion is also quite foolish.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

Yeah, no need for the US to promote conflict in Europe, most countries here do a pretty good job of that themselves. It just seems that take is 100% through the lens of someone sitting in China and having a slighty vague idea of the history of the Europe.

I feel like they're entitled to have that. God knows the opposite example of that has been applied countless times by Western analysts, commentators and policy-makers.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
trawling through Telegram, this got posted so of course grain of salt and verification needed.

"The Dumskaya newspaper managed to contact the relatives of several Russian marines of the 810th Brigade of the Russian Federation, which is stationed in the occupied Crimea. According to them, large amphibious ships were going to dock at the Luzanovsky beach, which was mined and blocked by anti-tank hedgehogs, having previously worked in the vicinity from multiple launch rocket systems. At the same time, enemy helicopters and a large number of UAVs were flying in the Gulf.

The Ukrainian air defense and other defenders of Odessa were preparing to give a decisive rebuff to the enemy, but at the very last moment the Russians got in touch and asked to be given the opportunity to leave the bay. According to reports, a real riot took place on Russian ships: Russian men refused to carry out the order and storm the coast of Odessa.

Russian soldiers, take an example from your comrades! "

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Well I'm glad that the use of tactical nuclear weapons on Ukraine is only moderately insane clancychat now and not pants-on-head idiotic nonsense. 2022 going great, I'm stoked for more of this

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1498581374562877445
I want to believe.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

He's spooked that if he sends his army too far away from Minsk, he'll get overthrown. That may be just him being paranoid, but hey, that's Batka.

e: ...but then he denies that Russian troops have struck from Belarussian territory, which is an odd thing to claim.:thunk:

Maybe trying to wriggle out from under sanctions?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 1, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

...Didn't they already?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I read the original statement and I think his wording was kinda aimed at Putin "this wasnt our deal" kind of thing.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Small White Dragon posted:

...Didn't they already?

Actively on Ukraine soil? Not as far as I'm aware.

Anything relating to Putin can't legally (by SA law) be labelled paranoia. That man is simply too unhinged.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dick Ripple posted:

It's not really all that different to when people start talking about the Yuan dynasty and how it affects current Chinese state policy. It'd be the equivalent of saying "What is the Holy Roman Empire and why does it have such influence on the EU today" . It's all people reading tea leaves at least a little bit.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Majorian posted:

He's spooked that if he sends his army too far away from Minsk, he'll get overthrown. That may be just him being paranoid, but hey, that's Batka.

Maybe that's part of the reason it's been "quiet" aroudn Kyiv and mostly just vicious artillery strikes? Wasn't word of the day (if that was true) that some Belarusian paratroopers were going to be fed into the maws of hell? That is Belarusian troops were going to play some decisive role in an assault and that fell through and the assault didn't happen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Small White Dragon posted:

...Didn't they already?

Not that we know of. Russia uses Belarusian territory to march on Kyiv, and allegedly Belarusian hospitals treat wounded Russian soldiers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Randarkman posted:

Maybe that's part of the reason it's been "quiet" aroudn Kyiv and mostly just vicious artillery strikes? Wasn't word of the day (if that was true) that some Belarusian paratroopers were going to be fed into the maws of hell? That is Belarusian troops were going to play some decisive role in an assault and that fell through and the assault didn't happen.

No, that was russian forces staging out of belarus

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There was some speculation that Belarusian army maneuvers near Korbyn were prep to go in, but nothing about crossing the border that I've seen.

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1498247891034554372

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
A tactical nuclear strike just seems like such an unlikely outcome. Doesn't Cold War era MAD thinking still reign for a single nuclear strike will result in other countries retaliating, so you either need to go all in or just not fire the first one.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

No, that was russian forces staging out of belarus

There were definitely reports of Belarusian paratroopers preparing to cross the border or something.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/StimsonCenter/status/1498368715909435395

FWIW, I read Tang Shiping's analysis <乌克兰,一种解决方案> and it's... let's say, implausible (argues that the US promotes intra-European tensions rather than letting Europe (summarised as France and Germany) be 'naturally' dominated by the largest, more powerful nation of Russia to produce a larger global power, in order to undermine Europe as a peer competitor; advocates Vietnam (the most heavily armed Southeast Asian state) balancing American and Chinese interests as a future model for Ukraine without once mentioning contemporary revulsion at Finlandization, not cognizant that the EU membership would not be acceptable for Russia either). Still, interesting as a view into a really different discourse.
Another imperialist analysis from a big country that views people and other nations as pawns on a chessboard to be moved around for its own greater glory. Entirely no insight that the people of Ukraine (or France or Germany or Poland or Lithuania) might actually not want to be Russian, thanks, and might in fact feel strongly enough about that to fight about it.

Would be interested to know if this person also thinks Ireland should "naturally" be dominated by the larger, more powerful nation of Britain to produce a larger global power? Imperalists should at least be consistent.

A lot of hard work must go into producing a take that bad.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Randarkman posted:

There were definitely reports of Belarusian paratroopers preparing to cross the border or something.

sure and supposedly chechens might have crossed too, but afaik at least 90% of everything staged out of belarus so far is russian, and likely significantly more than that. The significance of forces crossing out of belarus is that they're close to kiev more than anything else.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Josef bugman posted:

It'd be the equivalent of saying "What is the Holy Roman Empire and why does it have such influence on the EU today" .

When you think about it, the balance between individual national sovereignty and the overarching EU is simply a reiteration of the HRE’s doctrine of Landeshoheit and furthermore…

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

A tactical nuclear strike just seems like such an unlikely outcome. Doesn't Cold War era MAD thinking still reign for a single nuclear strike will result in other countries retaliating, so you either need to go all in or just not fire the first one.

MAD only applies to other nuclear armed nations and members of formal alliances. Ukraine isn't covered and I personally (not backed up by anything obviously since we're discussing completely uncharted territory) think it's extremely unlikely that NATO would nuke Russia if Russia nuked Ukraine. As much of a horrific escalation as a Russian nuclear attack on Ukraine would be, a NATO nuclear attack on Russia in response would be another.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lukashenko has to be feeling the pressure a bit. Not only has he to be well aware of the risk of a colour revolution if it looks like the security forces aren't able to control the streets, but if it looks like his regime is getting wobbly then he also faces the risk of getting taken out and replaced by Putin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alchenar posted:

Lukashenko has to be feeling the pressure a bit. Not only has he to be well aware of the risk of a colour revolution if it looks like the security forces aren't able to control the streets, but if it looks like his regime is getting wobbly then he also faces the risk of getting taken out and replaced by Putin.
With what army? This is the perfect time to start telling Putin to go gently caress himself.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Zephro posted:

Another imperialist analysis from a big country that views people and other nations as pawns on a chessboard to be moved around for its own greater glory. Entirely no insight that the people of Ukraine (or France or Germany or Poland or Lithuania) might actually not want to be Russian, thanks, and might in fact feel strongly enough about that to fight about it.

Would be interested to know if this person also thinks Ireland should "naturally" be dominated by the larger, more powerful nation of Britain to produce a larger global power? Imperalists should at least be consistent.

A lot of hard work must go into producing a take that bad.

It is also ahistorical, considering European history is all about Imperialist powers doing that exact stuff all over the world for like 300 years. If anything, russian history is that of a continental power that has destabilized the baltic and eastern europe for centuries by counteracting Germany, The Ottomans, and Poland.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Some more reports out of telegram
"The authorities in Chernihiv claim that Belarusian units entered the territory of the region. They have not yet published any confirmation of this information."

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ukr government reports Belarusian troops have entered Chernihiv region

https://twitter.com/verkhovna_rada/status/1498591541920686082?s=20&t=4ULYezhsIFBYjrI-q_ppEA

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Batka gonna slip and fall out of a window if keeps that poo poo up much longer :ohdear:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Nessus posted:

With what army? This is the perfect time to start telling Putin to go gently caress himself.

If Putin ends up pulling the military from the far east, let's hope they start doing that. It was only two years ago that the far east had anti-Putin protests with 30,000+ people. They hate him.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Nessus posted:

Don't expect Luka to start thinking pragmatically.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lukashenko does not survive without Kremlin support. All Russia has to do is stop feeding him cheap oil and gas and the regime falls apart and he ends up hanging from a lamppost. He's well aware of that and Putin is well aware of that. As I've posted before, he knows he is running a client state and stays within the lane of options he has open to him.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

If he tells Putin to pound sand then he will have no benefactors in the future, he only survived the 2020 election protests thanks to Russian intervention.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Belarus invading Ukraine. This is straight out of some dystopian sci-fi.

10 years ago this would have sounded as absurd as USA invading Canada

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
wasn't the Milk War exactly Lukashenko waiting for a moment of Putin's vulnerability (2008 war with Georgia) to pick a fight and extract concessions

it's possible to be too enamoured of one's self-image as a master puppeteer, to be sure

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The French are not leaving anything to interpretation:

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1498579991977725952

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
There is no possible way that Azov battalion was worth it to the Ukrainian state, for all the absolutely stunningly extensive mileage that Russia gets out of being able to mention it every other sentence.

I`m looking for articles to understand why they were brought into the National Guard. And what they've been defending this week. I have to imagine that Poroshenko regrets it.

And also where the "Kyiv leaders=drug addicts" claim is rooted from.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They were brought into national guard because Ukraine was in civil war brought about by Russia.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

wukkar posted:

There is no possible way that Azov battalion was worth it to the Ukrainian state, for all the absolutely stunningly extensive mileage that Russia gets out of being able to mention it every other sentence.

Ukraine has just released everyone from prison to fight for clemency. The desperation of squaring the metrics of the forces arrayed unfortunately means unsavoury choices about how they secure the continuity of their state, getting ultranationalists and other extremists to fight for you is one of those choices. So is an open invitation to any foreign fighters. So is having prisoner battalions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm struggling to look at the world right now and conclude 'Russia has successfully engendered mixed feelings about Ukraine through propaganda'.

The only people who really knew or cared about the Azov batallions were:
a) Western military/diplomatic policy people and this did actually effect military support and cooperation with Ukraine
b) People who regularly read Russian propaganda, who were frankly always going to look for a reason to apologise for Russia.

Azov just wasn't part of the discourse anywhere else.