Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KitConstantine posted:

Also pretty clear those POW videos going out are "working", making Russian mothers actually question state TV. Warning: this is pretty heartbreaking to watch. Moms are moms no matter where they live

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1498641628478726149?t=GE6_Ie69gfDTTA0cBt06sQ&s=19

During the Chechnyan war, worried moms were organizing trips to Chechnya to bring their sons back in person. Obviously Putin is going to try everything to avoid that reoccuring by keeping a total silence on what is really going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The European Parliament is in an extraordinary session and there have been amazing speeches being held, here's a direct stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrCVUnhWsw

It really feels like the school bully that everyone has endured for years finally stepped over the line and people are freely letting their anger be known.

Ursula von der Leyen posted:

In these days independent Ukraine is facing a darkest hour. At the same time the Ukrainian people are holding up the torch of freedom for all of us. They are showing immense courage. They are defending their lives but they are also fighting for universal values and they are willing to die for them.

President Zelensky and the Ukrainian people are a true inspiration. And when we last spoke he told me again about his people's dream to join our union. Today the European union and Ukraine are already closer than ever before. There's still a long path ahead. We have to end this war and we need to talk about the next steps, but I am sure nobody in this hemicycle can doubt that a people that stands up so bravely for our European values belongs in our European family. And therefore honourable members I say long live Europe and long live a free and independent Ukraine! Slava Ukraini!

The social democrats just said that this is not over before Putin is dragged in front of a war crimes tribunal.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1498633453797052419

... but those funds are inefficiently deployed, with a great deal of fragmentation and redundancy, maintenance of national bases and infrastructure which not valuable for an Europe-wide common security policy framework etc.

a renewed commitment to defense spending does not necessarily go well with a will to hand over its oversight to a federal authority either, it has to be said

I mean, to be fair, it doesn't appear like Russian ones are that more efficient either. Maybe it'd be a giant clown fiesta of brooms painted black on one side versus abandoned equipment and expired food rations on the other.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1498633453797052419

... but those funds are inefficiently deployed, with a great deal of fragmentation and redundancy, maintenance of national bases and infrastructure which not valuable for an Europe-wide common security policy framework etc.

a renewed commitment to defense spending does not necessarily go well with a will to hand over its oversight to a federal authority either, it has to be said

Indeed, it remains to be seen whether the EU manages to get some joint procurement of military hardware implemented in the future. That has long been a sticking point for quite a few members, but right now there's a crisis. Crises have a habit of rapidly blowing away old opposition.

We live in interesting times, that's for sure…

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Alchenar posted:

Nobody has come up with a serious EU defence policy that doesn't start with the words 'Get NATO to do it'.

The Common Security and Defence Policy is about being able to do small peacekeeping missions on the EU's periphery without needing to involve NATO (which would mean the US and Turkey getting a say, which certain EU states would prefer they sometimes didn't). Warfighting at scale requires huge amounts of supporting infrastructure and enablers, which EU member states are already paying for via their NATO contributions. They're not going to pay twice. Nor is an EU that steps up its defence spending going to be capable of serious peer-competitor warfighting without the enablers that the US military brings to the table.

What the EU defence policy does do is give the EU commission a mandate to draw up diplomatic/economic policy options with a security objective in mind, which is something that NATO is not competent to do.

Isn’t this because EU isn’t a military organization?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Maersk, who controls 17% of container shipping worldwide, is ceasing trade to and from Russian ports except for humanitarian supplies

https://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/1498593962604609539?t=5HK8YgipFrfsB63xRx7BHw&s=19

WSJ confirming

Zelensky is still rising to the occasion

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1498630197981155332?t=6V08q21XnNdeyU3KEQbtyQ&s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

The social democrats just said that this is not over before Putin is dragged in front of a war crimes tribunal.

When was the last time a war crime tribunal was enforced on a superpower or someone that won an armed conflict?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

EU leadership is openly calling for a defence union, a strong military deterrent, and the capability to project force against aggressors. Things are moving fast.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

mmkay posted:

I mean, to be fair, it doesn't appear like Russian ones are that more efficient either. Maybe it'd be a giant clown fiesta of brooms painted black on one side versus abandoned equipment and expired food rations on the other.

My God, with additional funding, can you IMAGINE the power of the German Broomstick technology?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

EU leadership is openly calling for a defence union, a strong military deterrent, and the capability to project force against aggressors. Things are moving fast.

United under firm German leadership?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dog Friday posted:

Are you just fully dead if you are one of those little pixel guys walking around the convoy?

if you're close enough probably but even then you may have a few agonizing moments to come to terrible, visceral conclusions about the malleability of your own anatomy.

Russia is engaging a terroristic war of aggression, and while any lack of progress or failure on their part is positive, footage like this provides a disassociative level of distance from nearly incomprehensible horror. UKr needs to try to stop Russia by all necessary but I see nothing but pain and death in these videos.

The Pogues, "The Band Playing Waltzing Matilda" posted:

Then a big Turkish shell knocked me rear end over tits, and when I awoke in a hospital bed
and saw what it had done, christ I wished I was dead, never knew there were worse things than dying

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

United under firm German leadership?

Would you say that the current behaviour puts in doubt the results of German denazification :thunk:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kalit posted:

Isn’t this because EU isn’t a military organization?

I mean France has tried for ages to make the CSDP a real thing and the NATO faction (mostly led by the UK) always blocked it, then the UK gave a bit of ground and allowed the formation of the EU Military Staff.

What then happened is that the UK then packed it with as many of its own people as possible to make sure it didn't go rogue, and then last I heard Brexit caused a low-key crisis because the directorate promptly emptied of everyone who actually had any experience of conducting operations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Slashrat posted:

It's illegal under the Geneva convention. I'm not familiar with the original thinking behind the particular article that makes it illegal, but I'm absolutely certain it didn't include the expectation that any person, whether military or civilian, government-affiliated or simply a bystander, would be able to take a picture or movie of a prisoner of war they see and have it made available directly to every other person in the world within minutes.

In most of these particular instances, it is also serving a purpose of letting family find information about loved ones that have been sent into the war when their own government won't tell them anything, or is even outright lying to them. It's the kind of situation where technology and information-use has marched on to the degree that law as-written applies under circumstances it was never imagined to.

This is not correct. The Geneva conventions has specific mechanisms to facilitate proof-of-life that are within the PoW rights. Let me again quote the ICRC:

quote:

In modern conflicts, the prohibition also covers, subject to the considerations discussed below, the disclosure of photographic and video images, recordings of interrogations or private conversations or personal correspondence or any other private data, irrespective of which public communication channel is used, including the internet.
It has been argued that publication of images of prisoners of war can serve as proof that they are alive, as recognition of their detention and as clarification of who is accountable for them, thereby providing a safeguard against their unlawful execution, forced disappearance or ill-treatment. However, the Third Convention provides other more suitable and effective mechanisms for these purposes, such as the transmission of capture cards, exchange of correspondence and ICRC visits.
The geneva conventions are despite what people claim, not outdated ancient relics but legal texts that are constantly updated through case law and interpretation. The dissemination of PoW pictures were for example something the Coalition that invaded Iraq had explicit policy for, namely that it is illegal if it individually identifies PoW's and that's why you either don't show their face or blur it on the photo/video.

ethanol posted:

I believe the Russian pow videos are accurate however I think that poo poo needs to stop. Whether they are doing it or not, it’s an effective apparatus for using torture as a means of propaganda. You don’t know what duress they could be under.

Yeah I think so to. It is unequivocally a violation of their rights under the Geneva conventions. Then conventions regulate the High Contracting Parties as it's called, so it doesn't apply to a comedy forum - but they're literally the standard for humanitarian treatment of prisoners of war. We're not helping by spreading it and giving it publicity.

Dante fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 1, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
If Vladimir Putin ends up being the reason for EU federalization, the irony would be so dense it'd destabilize Earth's orbit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dirt5o8 posted:

My God, with additional funding, can you IMAGINE the power of the German Broomstick technology?

Add a Picatinny rail for red dot optics and underslung vacuum hose

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

my uncle who works on the frontline at nintendo said russia have put in their application to join the legion of doom and will nuke ukraine if it isn't accepted

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yet another video of civilians blocking column
https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1498645822879186954

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Good thread on people listening to Russian radio comms, only downside is now ham operators are gonna be insufferable around their importance in wartime situations.

https://twitter.com/sbreakintl/status/1498619303717142529?s=21

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

KitConstantine posted:

Maersk, who controls 17% of container shipping worldwide, is ceasing trade to and from Russian ports except for humanitarian supplies

https://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/1498593962604609539?t=5HK8YgipFrfsB63xRx7BHw&s=19

Remember the first few days when people were complaining/anticipating a weak western response? I don't think anyone was prepared for what we're seeing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lmao, Ukrainian soldiers open a box of captured Russian MREs and they all expired in 2015

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1498462258355228675?t=hTsey8mr2PII8a3iKTgIVA&s=19

Someone got a real nice new datcha out of that MRE money

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Would you say that the current behaviour puts in doubt the results of German denazification :thunk:

Third time's the charm, I guess.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Morning goons! Anything I missed since midnight EST?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dirt5o8 posted:

Nice post/avatar combo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
What are russians envisioning when they say "nazi" anyway? In the US when people think of nazis the primary attribute is being very racist. Anti-jewish racism specifically. like "a nazi is the guys who did the holocaust" is their primary attribute when we are saying someone is "a nazi", like nazis did other things too but that is the specific connotation of calling someone nazi, being extra racist. Is that the same in russia? What guy are the imagining when they think of "a nazi"? If they say ukraine is full of nazis are they mostly saying it's super super racist, or is there some other specific thing they are trying to say? It feels like russia had a different sort of history with nazis than the US did, the whole nazi thing is clearly just a boogieman they are using, but are they being super random or does "a nazi" conjure up a different image in a russian memory than in the US?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Current rep speaking at the euro parliament is wearing an "I Stand With Ukraine" t shirt.

Almost everyone speaking is ending their speech with Slava Ukraini.

They're also almost all calling Ukrainians "European", which from my understanding is pretty unusual

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Morning goons! Anything I missed since midnight EST?

Nothing major, really. It seems to be mosty positioning still, with some shelling here and there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

They're also almost all calling Ukrainians "European", which from my understanding is pretty unusual

I mean they are unequivocally located in Europe so anything else would be very odd? I'm not in the EU but I'm very much european.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are russians envisioning when they say "nazi" anyway? In the US when people think of nazis the primary attribute is being very racist. Anti-jewish racism specifically. like "a nazi is the guys who did the holocaust" is their primary attribute when we are saying someone is "a nazi", like nazis did other things too but that is the specific connotation of calling someone nazi, being extra racist. Is that the same in russia? What guy are the imagining when they think of "a nazi"? If they say ukraine is full of nazis are they mostly saying it's super super racist, or is there some other specific thing they are trying to say? It feels like russia had a different sort of history with nazis than the US did, the whole nazi thing is clearly just a boogieman they are using, but are they being super random or does "a nazi" conjure up a different image in a russian memory than in the US?

From the context of all the accusations so far (lately including doubt that denazification truly finished in Germany), it seems to mean 'anyone that opposes Russian interests'

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What are these targets? Or are they just giving themselves carte blanche for blowing up any building?

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1498648785442021376?s=20&t=WXrPJCJWLiXb5uFgJVaU0g

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TheRat posted:

Nothing major, really. It seems to be mosty positioning still, with some shelling here and there.

At this point it feels like every day has been month long. I wonder how it feels like in Kremlin. Has Putin done live appearances?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This seems very very bad. Openly admitting targets near civilians.

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1498650666801192963?t=JoYIzELh-44vYU3PO4u1sg&s=19

https://twitter.com/polinaivanovva/status/1498648994226094081?t=M3rEo3LbN7c_714KjVsSPg&s=19

https://twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/1498652871906189313?t=SITUKA2SdEg0JEisEpT9Qw&s=19

This seems good

Russia didn't need SAM systems, right?

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498634962123345923?t=mxg1VMCwU-eYurdDWysVSQ&s=19

Good guy Chechens have entered the chat

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1498651127335866368?t=H1BomDqj3UYLn1f0YOlong&s=19

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Or are they just giving themselves carte blanche for blowing up any building?

In a word, yes.

:smith:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rinkles posted:

What are these targets? Or are they just giving themselves carte blanche for blowing up any building?

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1498648785442021376?s=20&t=WXrPJCJWLiXb5uFgJVaU0g

Based on Kharkiv they've probably abandoned any illusion of avoiding civilian targets, but I assume this is poo poo like communcations arrays and broadcast buildings

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/dkaleniuk/status/1498627001141403648?s=20&t=4h4xTtieaDX8iG0MOkw7Pg

Boris getting confronted in Warsaw earlier today

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

They likely are going to do exactly what Russia did in Georgia, Chechnya and elsewhere: Openly target and destroy homes and cities. Putin isn't getting what he wants so he is going scorched earth.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1498620903667777539

rough translation of the second one.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

mmkay posted:

Nice post/avatar combo.

Ugh, ironic and mocking Freep avatar from a more innocent time. When a leather-daddy Hitler was funny.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡ BREAKING - Finland has hit Putin where it really stings!

The Putin wax doll was removed from the Visulahti wax museum. Slava Ukraini!

To add insult to injury, they left Ukraine's creator in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

drunkill posted:

rough translation of the second one.

The repeated mantra of 'we came to kill civilians' definitely feels coerced.