Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How much of the Miami Vice show did Michael Mann actually direct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mordja posted:

How much of the Miami Vice show did Michael Mann actually direct?

Believe it or not, zero!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone remember that show of Mann's "Luck" where they killed a bunch of horses :sigh:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

LanceHunter posted:

In my bad-movie hunting, I recently stumbled onto something I remembered from watching USA's Up All Night when I was a kid in the 90s...

Dr. Alien (aka: I Was a Teenage Sex Mutant)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkdrzvjqRbQ

The plot is that aliens give a shot to this nerd which turn him into a super-stud (in the most cheesy, 80s-movie way possible). It also causes him to grow a forehead protrusion that makes him irresistible to women. This movie feels like someone saw From Beyond and thought to themselves "I bet I could make this a boner comedy"

Guess who directed this intensely weird movie...

Fuckin' David DeCoteau.

I don't know what it is about that movie but every single time I ever saw anything like a clip or a still shot, I'd get sort of grossed out. There's just something that feels so 100% skeevy about it to the point that it no longer feels 'sexy' in any way.

80s had a lot of Scifi/fantasy/nerd sex comedies, though. I don't know if Ghostbusters (edit: Not a sex comedy, but a very popular geek movie) or Revenge of the Nerds is to blame or what.

But on the subject of odd films from USA's Up All Night, I'll bring this up again.

Getting Lucky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jye900AUAmE Probably NSFW

Years ago I remember talking to a guy about USA Up All Night movies and he starts describing this movie he'd seen on UAN but he's kind of not even sure if its real, but he swears he saw it and he's not crazy. Then I tell him, "I know the movie you're talking about, because I remember it, too."

The shared reason this movie stuck out to us was "We must be mistaken because how the hell did this get on late night basic cable? Even without FCC control, how?!"

Character goes Antman and there's an extended sequence (as seen in a clip in the trailer) where he's rolling around in her panties and they do giant puppet sex

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe wait for the trade paperback of Heat 2. Never buy hardcovers new.

I’m a kindle man, I ain’t got the space

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ghostbusters was almost a very different movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It was almost an anime

https://i.imgur.com/N7yDobk.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/r5taLRE.mp4

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm actually surprised after the somewhat positive reputation of the RealGB cartoon and the rise in anime that Sony and the GhostCorp didn't push for some DTV Ghostbuster anime stuff for folks who still wanted the original team.

Given Marvel, DC, and others have been doing the 'anime _________' deal for the last dozen or so years with their Western IPs, it seems like even voice actor recasting wouldn't be an issue.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I watched a bit of The Real Ghostbusters, some of the early episodes look pretty drat anime at times.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I watched a bit of The Real Ghostbusters, some of the early episodes look pretty drat anime at times.
They were animated by Japanese studios

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Makes sense, since a lot of the 80s cartoons did have Japanese animation companies working on them. The 80s Pole Position cartoon seems to have had a young Shinji Aramaki doing mech design for the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_xGfrdbhY

Wow, Pole Position seems to be another early Chuck Lorre writing credit. I remember his name showing up in Toxic Crusaders, too.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

She tried to pull down her skirt, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsBnDldZg3o

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
the two and a half young sheldons guy used to write for an animated video game adaptation of a racing game in the '80s? holy poo poo

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

drat, this last BotW the crew looked absolutely haggard.

They've been old for years now but Rich especially looks like he needs a full body CAT scan.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Andro Dunos posted:

drat, this last BotW the crew looked absolutely haggard.

They've been old for years now but Rich especially looks like he needs a full body CAT scan.

You wouldn't look that good either if you spent 40+ years with no alcohol.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
rich evans is a being of pure spiritual energy, he appears however he wants to

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I know the Kingsmen movies are bonkers, so this is going to come as no surprise, but The King's Man is bananners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DExdIzS1B0M

Menacingly homosexual Rasputin dance fights to the 1812 Overture

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I know the Kingsmen movies are bonkers, so this is going to come as no surprise, but The King's Man is bananners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DExdIzS1B0M

Menacingly homosexual Rasputin dance fights to the 1812 Overture

genuinely the worst film i've seen in years

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Beyond the genius cinematography, sets, scenes with tons of extras, and costumes... what's there to enjoy about Barry Lyndon? Im so boooooored

It makes me wonder how Kubrick's Napoleon film would have turned out if he'd had the chance to make it. He planned it to be four hours long and one of the most expensive and largest productions in history, but it may have amounted to a lot of slow shots of landscapes and palaces and no one would sit through it for that running time. Gone with the Wind isn't even that long including the intermission and all the into/outro music. Cleopatra is longer but only because it was intended to be two films but Fox dictated that it be edited into one.

Either that or Napoleon would have been a narrative mess because you can't compress the career of Napoleon with all the major battles and politics and exiles into four hours. Kubrick once floated the idea of making a miniseries version for HBO starring Al Pacino, which could have been amazing, but HBO wasn't crazy enough to attempt it.

It's always high on the list of greatest films never made along with Sergio Leone's film about Leningrad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I posted too soon because it loses all narrative momentum after the Russia part. They're so determined to make the Oxfords and their domestic servant buddies the Forrest Gumps of WWI that it becomes a dull historical checklist for like 40 minutes.

I am expecting a horrifically stupid reveal of who the Shepard is though since they've been hiding his face the whole movie.

lol 1917 presidential sex tape omg it's the climax of the film, recovering Woodrow Wilson's sex tape

Ohhhhhhhh this movie loving sucks

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 1, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wow, and you saw the Matrix Revolutions

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the king’s man and the gentlemen were two films I saw recently that I actively disliked, which isn’t something I usually feel about bad films. both are made by old British men with extremely cynical, dated world views. I don’t really know how to describe it without sounding like a lunatic but they just come across as extremely hateful of progression, you can sense they’re both pining for the old days of Britain ruling the world.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did someone post the Marvel post-credits scene where Hitler shows up to team up with Lenin?

Beetlejuice is one of those rare movies I loved as a kid that is even better as an adult.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't know what it is about that movie but every single time I ever saw anything like a clip or a still shot, I'd get sort of grossed out. There's just something that feels so 100% skeevy about it to the point that it no longer feels 'sexy' in any way.

80s had a lot of Scifi/fantasy/nerd sex comedies, though. I don't know if Ghostbusters (edit: Not a sex comedy, but a very popular geek movie) or Revenge of the Nerds is to blame or what.

But on the subject of odd films from USA's Up All Night, I'll bring this up again.

Getting Lucky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jye900AUAmE Probably NSFW

Years ago I remember talking to a guy about USA Up All Night movies and he starts describing this movie he'd seen on UAN but he's kind of not even sure if its real, but he swears he saw it and he's not crazy. Then I tell him, "I know the movie you're talking about, because I remember it, too."

The shared reason this movie stuck out to us was "We must be mistaken because how the hell did this get on late night basic cable? Even without FCC control, how?!"

Character goes Antman and there's an extended sequence (as seen in a clip in the trailer) where he's rolling around in her panties and they do giant puppet sex

Oh holy poo poo. I watched that trailer and had absolutely no memory of the movie. Then it showed a clip from that scene. I would very much like to know what was going through the USA programmers' heads when they were making UAN.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The very first thing in that trailer is the words "Lloyd Kaufman" which is already enough to know the movie shouldn't be on basic cable.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Movies should be boring. That's how you know they're good!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
please no more

kingsman
john wick
anything with liam neeson

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
john wick, except now it's starring bruce willis

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i would watch a new john wick with identical production except replacing keanu with Steven Seagal

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I kinda wanna cast Steven Seagal in a very introspective emotional drama and call it Seagull's Cry.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The ultimate magical showdown, the evil wizard and the good wizard at the height of their power fighting over the future of the world. Two old men in suits frowning at each other in a grey void

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1498318828136288262?s=20&t=aiwQR3waC5Wnf9OhtBJ0Sg

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

This looks like a MadTV sketch lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mozi posted:

john wick, except now it's starring bruce willis Bob Odenkirk

Oh wait…

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

JediTalentAgent posted:

Makes sense, since a lot of the 80s cartoons did have Japanese animation companies working on them. The 80s Pole Position cartoon seems to have had a young Shinji Aramaki doing mech design for the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_xGfrdbhY

Wow, Pole Position seems to be another early Chuck Lorre writing credit. I remember his name showing up in Toxic Crusaders, too.

My favorite is the Akira director working on that Clayface episode of Batman: TAS. It’ll seem like an ordinary episode until suddenly everybody has that Akira “:o” expression and clayface is doing pseudo body horror.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Gripweed posted:

The ultimate magical showdown, the evil wizard and the good wizard at the height of their power fighting over the future of the world. Two old men in suits frowning at each other in a grey void

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1498318828136288262?s=20&t=aiwQR3waC5Wnf9OhtBJ0Sg

lol theres so much cool poo poo you could do with fighting in harry potter world and instead it always comes down to a boring as gently caress force of wills

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

but enough about politics

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I had completely forgotten Troma movies got on Up All Night occasionally. Crazy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Andro Dunos posted:

It makes me wonder how Kubrick's Napoleon film would have turned out if he'd had the chance to make it. He planned it to be four hours long and one of the most expensive and largest productions in history, but it may have amounted to a lot of slow shots of landscapes and palaces and no one would sit through it for that running time. Gone with the Wind isn't even that long including the intermission and all the into/outro music. Cleopatra is longer but only because it was intended to be two films but Fox dictated that it be edited into one.

Either that or Napoleon would have been a narrative mess because you can't compress the career of Napoleon with all the major battles and politics and exiles into four hours. Kubrick once floated the idea of making a miniseries version for HBO starring Al Pacino, which could have been amazing, but HBO wasn't crazy enough to attempt it.

It's always high on the list of greatest films never made along with Sergio Leone's film about Leningrad.

Well the answer is to use more than four hours. Sergei Bondarchuk managed to do the Battle of Austerlitz and Borodino in his War and Peace series, and his version of Waterloo is fantastic.

I dont care if the movie failed and tanked Kubrick's Napoleon film. The Charge of the Scots Greys is a painting come to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsVziFEWLlM

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
When I was a kid I saw a movie that traumatized me where British soldiers forced African women and children down a cliff using Maxim guns. Anybody know what movie that might have been? I thought it might have been Zulu but the Wikipedia article on it didn’t mention this specific form of war crime. I’m asking this thread cause y’all are the movie smartest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guns at Batasi?