Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I beat Prospector Miriam and… now what. i see the platform/stair at the very top but I don’t see a way of bringing it down. Do I need to work on another area or am I missing something here?

Surprise gently caress all. You have to progress another quest chain to get the item to open the tower up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Cowcaster posted:

all the myriad reports rolling in how sorcery falls off in the midgame is actually psyching me up because it means that instead of choosing easy mode i have chosen hard mode and i'm gonna flip everyone the bird when i beat the game anyway

Sorcery isn't some sort of turbo hardmode or anything. It's not like you can't win, since I'm continuing just fine, but it's not some alternate build like Str or Dex (or DS2 Faith before they killed it) where your options are entirely different. It's the spells themselves that suck. It's like rolling a Str/Dex build, seeing this world full of incredible weapons, and there's no point because Longsword is the best weapon in the game.

quote:

there seems to be this harmful preconceived notion going around of a "pure mage" build being something that uses exclusively spells to deal with everything and never deigns to touch a melee weapon or shield, because somehow that would make you a "spellblade" or something.

That's me intentionally doing it that way, and it's mostly working. I have absolutely required summoning people for a few fights, and a few others had to be put off for more grinding because there's a hard cap on damage. You can't build a hybrid style build here, in the sense that you're as effective as a pure Int/Str/Dex guy at the same level, but if you don't care about grinding more levels (get used to that, btw) you could theoretically be everything at once.

You could do the DS2 thing where you build up just enough stats to wield your weapon of choice then pump Faith to use the cool invocation weapon buffs, but I have no idea how effective that'd be.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bardeh posted:

Have been dealing with the performance problems on PC and enjoying the game, but I got to Liurnia of the Lakes and some areas there just kill my framerate so it's like an unstable 30-40 and feels like complete dogshit to play. There is no combination of settings that gets me a solid 60 frames at 1440p on a 8600k and a 1080ti anywhere in the open world areas. It's pissing me off and making me enjoy the game less.

Switch off 1440p?

My framerate has been surprisingly stable, my graphics card is poo poo and I don't have much ram so I thought it was gonna chug but its been running silk smooth. I have had the problem with enemies randomly turning invisible though, that poo poo loving sucks, and they supposedly fixed blood spots but they still don't work for me 9 times out of 10.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Someone remind me. I recall meeting a hosed up little dude somewhere that was a sorcery apprentice from the academy. He asked if I ever found a spare or had no need of the key to the academy if I could oh so kindly give him one. Well I’m done at the academy (I think) and would like to help the friend along.

Anyone care to point me towards where this dude was?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Operant posted:

Does anyone know how to get to the other castle west of stormveil?

Start a new character :v: -- but if you want to go there AGAIN, find the Four Belfries in the Liurnia of the Lake overworld

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Someone remind me. I recall meeting a hosed up little dude somewhere that was a sorcery apprentice from the academy. He asked if I ever found a spare or had no need of the key to the academy if I could oh so kindly give him one. Well I’m done at the academy (I think) and would like to help the friend along.

He's in the church just after you exit from the rear of Stormveil

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah he's at a church right near the entrance to the area. However he won't take the key if it's your only one, it seems like you have to find a second somewhere -- if anyone has any hints on that it would be appreciated

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Wait, what? Spill those beans man.

Look Below the ramp where it narrows

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

goferchan posted:

Yeah he's at a church right near the entrance to the area. However he won't take the key if it's your only one, it seems like you have to find a second somewhere -- if anyone has any hints on that it would be appreciated

It's in the Raya Lucaria Academy

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
getting through this thing with on easy mode (ranged only astrologer)

anyone have suggestions for ashes of war/summons that work best with this build?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
For Faith builds at least it works a lot like tabletop RPG - low levels what few spells I could cast were for the occasional extra heal to save on HP flasks or a fireball or two against a tough foe, then I'd need to rely on my weapons (you get a faith scaling weapon art in Limgrave, just swapped it around on a few weapons til I picked a favorite) 95% of the time.

Around level 40~ I had enough upgrades to my flasks that I could balance out mana flasks and actually start casting more often and I could afford to use spells on most big enemies I fought rather than just one.

Now at level 82 I pretty much just hurl lightning bolts like an angry Gwyn against everything except trash mobs. Or I'm like a WoW frost wizard, round up a bunch of enemies and take them to a funnel point then blast them with laser beams out of my eyes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Look Below the ramp where it narrows

Oh, the imp path? I thought that was one of the two, lol. That was the first way I went since I couldn't get across the bridge without dying on account of hitting this area immediately after the tutorial with my starting wretch and being very stupid, I thought there was that path and the path to the boss, which you can also more easily get to by going that way anyway. I couldn't get by the two monsters on the bridge though, I need to go back and do that soon I think. What's the other third way, the one that leads to the room with the tougher ghost enemy? That room doesn't seem to have anything and I haven't bothered beating him. Is there something worthwhile there?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/KounterKitty/status/1498204659772637186?s=20&t=WQrGorYXzsZwgnFS38n3RA

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’ve entered stormveil castle. climbing some stairs I noticed a dark room with an item way inside, I fully expected there to be something afoot, but did not expect what actually happened :darksouls:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minor disappointment about Raya Lucaria:

I noticed there were two entrances and I thought, oh, cool, maybe there are two ways into this dungeon and I'm going to need to pick my approach, or maybe there's an upside or downside to east. But then if you use the key at the southern entrance it just teleports you to the northern one. :smith:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Hm. Commander O'Neil seems to be a mounted combat fight for me. I should come back after upgrading this sick halberd I got from Sofria. The range should be advantageous over my rusty anchor.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh, the imp path? I thought that was one of the two, lol. That was the first way I went since I couldn't get across the bridge without dying on account of hitting this area immediately after the tutorial with my starting wretch and being very stupid, I thought there was that path and the path to the boss, which you can also more easily get to by going that way anyway. I couldn't get by the two monsters on the bridge though, I need to go back and do that soon I think. What's the other third way, the one that leads to the room with the tougher ghost enemy? That room doesn't seem to have anything and I haven't bothered beating him. Is there something worthwhile there?

Yeah, Those are the three routes. The imp path has a decent charm, the boss drops a golden seed, and there's a special Sacred Seal somewhere too. Can't remember what the ghost dude drops,sorry

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, I am not sure what happened. :lol:

Roundtable: Almost everyone has hosed off or died now. The skeleton man attacked me, I sent D the hug man to his death and the hugger told me she tricked me and to gently caress off. The spell man left for some reason and also the other guy with Jon Snow hair is gone too. :lol: And I got a red corpse man telling me to gently caress off as well. This drat game.

Also I am at work onsite today so no slacking off playing Rings but I pulled up a FightinCowboy video and learned where I actually am supposed to go for the 2nd big boss lol - I completely missed this area and the map you get. So that'll be fun to move things along as I have just been exploring and exploring. I may be too high level for the boss in the magic place. :3:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, Those are the three routes. The imp path has a decent charm, the boss drops a golden seed, and there's a special Sacred Seal somewhere too. Can't remember what the ghost dude drops,sorry

You can also destroy the cart by shooting 1 of 3 pots on it to get a bow. I think they reset if you rest at a site of grace in case you miss.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lmao
https://twitter.com/abigbat/status/1498059368373403648

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Incredible

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Easiest joke possible and yet it never fails to get a smile out of me

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I just want to say that there are few things as satisfying as blowing up the loving chariot in Fringefolk's and getting a goddamn great bow made out of Erdtree for the trouble. Full-clearing the place in question was a hoot. :allears:

What I really gotta do is find me some more miracles, though.

knobgobblin posted:

I've got a halberd paladin build with barricade shield now and it's amazing to facetank any hit and then keep guard countering

This is what my character has evolved into naturally; there are a LOT of good halberds relatively early on, and guard countering with them feels amazing. And then you can get both barrier shield and the Turtle Shield which has it naturally AND regens your stamina, and it's just perfect. :3:

I was going to use swords, but that halberd life found me first.

quote:

If anyone's looking for a great moveset in a halberd I totally recommend farming a guardian swordspear

Personally, I can recommend the Dragon Halberd at the far end of Siofra River, by taking that lone teleporter up to the fringe of the Eternal City. It's got spear-pokes on R1, sweeps on R2, a slam on jump R1, and the L2 imbues it with lightning and frost, which allows you to absolutely bully everything in the earlier parts of the game. You only need to get past the annoying archers in Siofra and then fight a de-powered Dragonkin Soldier, which isn't too difficult from Torrent-back. It helps that there's a ton of other valuable loot down there.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Disclaimer: I've yet to open the Raya doors;
as an INT caster, I'm kinda envious towards FTH. I've seen boring INT spells so far, while the icons and descriptions of the FTH (and the few FTH/INT) spells I saw so far seem to be flashier or more interesting, considering books, Beast Clergy spells and Dragon Communion spells.
Is this going to change anytime soon?

Anyway, part of the feelsbad sorcery builds is managing health/stamina/FP other than the damage stat, feels like you have to take care of an extra stat compared to normal weapon users. When I noticed I was spamming Carian Slicer, I was wondering myself "why are you playing like a melee character, but with a mana bar?" but I had no decent INT scaling weapons, and, I repeat, I've not been in Raya yet.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Char posted:

Anyway, part of the feelsbad sorcery builds is managing health/stamina/FP other than the damage stat, feels like you have to take care of an extra stat compared to normal weapon users. When I noticed I was spamming Carian Slicer, I was wondering myself "why are you playing like a melee character, but with a mana bar?" but I had no decent INT scaling weapons, and, I repeat, I've not been in Raya yet.

There should be Int-scaling ashes of war to make anything you want an Int weapon, that's what I've done with my faith build.

But yea, early game you're going to be hitting stuff with your weapons most of the time, no way around that. Unless you never have HP pots

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TeaJay posted:

I'm trying to fight Magma wyrm as a sorcerer (spells and crystal sword +5)and he's pretty tough! his rushing attack in a small space is quite hard to dodge out of when you can't see the burning parts all that well. Also a bit hard to find summons for the fight, it seems. One of my brave helpers got killed by the first attack from the boss, which is not unusual compared to how some of my own attemps went.

I wish you could summon Alexander the Jar Head who is just hanging out in the previous room...

I used the Headless to tank, and rock throw with the meteroite staff did a ton of damage to him and staggers him after 3-4 full hits.

One of the few bosses I beat on the first try.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For Int characters, if you can manage to beat the boss of Caria Manor, you'll get an ash of war that will turn any twinblade into your new favorite weapon (at least until you get the Moonlight Greatsword I know you all rolled Int to wield)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DourCricket posted:

There should be Int-scaling ashes of war to make anything you want an Int weapon, that's what I've done with my faith build.

But yea, early game you're going to be hitting stuff with your weapons most of the time, no way around that. Unless you never have HP pots

There are, the first one you meet (I think it’d be the first) is well into Stormveil which may not be ideal if you’re looking for options from the start.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cephas posted:

If you're doing an Int build and like melee then don't sleep on Moonveil, it's a really great weapon. I had been using a shield and magic partizan +2 before i switched to it, and it's just a massive upgrade in offensive capabilities. the weapon art for it does good AoE damage and the strong version insta-crumples most enemies.

also i don't see nearly enough people in coop abusing jumping strong attacks.

I stumbled upon this weapon and it instantly made me want to raise my DEX a few points so I can wield it. Been using the crystal sword for now but the weapon art for Moonveil is insane.

That said, I did try to put on Radagon's scarseal ("raises attributes, but increases damage taken") to try the Moonveil and though - is this item a trap? Is the stat increase enough to offset the damage increase? Especially for a astrologer who is squishy to begin with.

PaybackJack posted:

I used the Headless to tank, and rock throw with the meteroite staff did a ton of damage to him and staggers him after 3-4 full hits.

One of the few bosses I beat on the first try.

I did not have the chance to summon a spirit in that fight. Come to think a lot of fights have been that way. I wonder what's up with that.

But I managed to beat it together with someone who basically just threw blue beams around and staggered the boss super fast. Maybe they were using the Moonveil? The effect looked similar

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the damage taken increase is like 5%, its nothing at all really.

and yeah, moonveil is really good. plus it has the bleed build up of a normal uchi as well so you get those fun procs thrown in. not sure how it compares at +10 vs a normal weapon that can go to 25 though.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Lol I have two of those cursed eyes and I kinda want to put them both on just to see how fast I die to a starter zone enemy

Char
Jan 5, 2013

DourCricket posted:

Random exploring in Limgrave, Liurnia and Caelid didn't net me any INT-based ash. Only got a couple of FTH ones.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

GlyphGryph posted:

Wait, what? Spill those beans man. Speaking of beans, in the tutorial area there's an item up on a cliff and my comment of wishing I had a ladder has saved my bacon more than once since apparently people love it, BUT - I still have no idea how to get to it!
You can carefully hop down where the wagon goes over the holes in the path. There you find some enemies and ultimately the fap talisman. Absolutely amazing. I wonder if speedrunners will pick it up in this game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

queeb posted:

the damage taken increase is like 5%, its nothing at all really.

and yeah, moonveil is really good. plus it has the bleed build up of a normal uchi as well so you get those fun procs thrown in. not sure how it compares at +10 vs a normal weapon that can go to 25 though.

If it's like previous games, special weapons upgrade faster than normal ones. So +10 special should be equal to +25 normal.

Obviously this will depend on the weapon and your stats, but any difference won't be down to special vs normal.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

i'm at a point in the game now where every new thing i find is killing me in 1-2 hits, which ain't much fun.

maybe it's time to start exploring caelid properly. since it's so close to limgrave it probably is intended to go there after raya lucaria, which i did a while ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There are, the first one you meet (I think it’d be the first) is well into Stormveil which may not be ideal if you’re looking for options from the start.

There's one much easier to get early -- go to the small southern beach area in Lingrave (not the larger one with the merchant nomad and the beastman cave) and kill the lone blueskinned guy who's walking around. You get an int-scaling ash with a sweet gravity magic skill that does wonders against those loving birds

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wish there was a cryptic NPC conversation that told you about the existence of tunnels because this changes the gently caress out of the smithing stone economy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

roomtone posted:

i'm at a point in the game now where every new thing i find is killing me in 1-2 hits, which ain't much fun.

maybe it's time to start exploring caelid properly. since it's so close to limgrave it probably is intended to go there after raya lucaria, which i did a while ago.

Yeah I scoped out the area it points you to after that and the capitol/plateau is loving tough, feel like I need to power up a bit before I really clear it out. Ran from several bosses out there lol.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

For the people asking about guard countering all the replies I've seen thus far have been talking about shields but you do not need one to guard counter. You will eat some damage blocking without one but it still works.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo (2nd castle final boss?) Rennala fight is loving AWESOME! (Seriously, don’t read if you haven’t done it) 1st phase was neat and almost too easy but very dynamic with lots of things moving around you. Then we get some real loving Rom poo poo with the settings and then she starts summoning bosses are you loving kidding me

The first phase is pretty much Deacons of the Deep from DS3 but good. Loved From putting hosed up Hogwarts in the game.

beep by grandpa posted:

good for you and congrats, I just had this happen lol :cripes:

(Academy end-boss 2nd phase spoilers) https://streamable.com/1ncjp8

*looks to the sky* if I had 1st Lt. Jellyfish at my side this wouldn't have happened...I'm going to bed ...

No one seems to read my posts which is starting to bum me out during these trying times. I think I’m just too annoying......bye

I had no idea she summoned anything because I had her locked down with R2s during the very end of the fight.

So I went to the wiki to look at the greatswords as I want a cooler one and am 30+ hours in with only that one from the early caravans outside Stormhill (I have the sword of swords but the colossal weapons are a bit too slow for my taste). All the coolest looking ones have useless stat requirements for me like ARC or INT except for Sword of Milos except the wiki has it listed with item icon but not location. How does that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Well I have something called the "godslayers greatsword" and a great rune. I think Im finally leveled up enough to clear Stormveil