Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Weirdly I never had a problem with it. Could never remember Yuji Naka's birthday though..

Maybe it was a matter of timing but I remember you had to press the buttons pretty fast to get it. But I loved that debug mode.

I think the only other game I had that much trouble with a code for was Bomberman 64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I definitely just used to jump up and down on the barrel until I could get through as a kid. I think I just accidentally figured out the proper way to do it as a teenager at some point.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

you're not entirely wrong but weren't we just talking about Metropolis

It’s too bad they don’t give you any way to protect yourself from projectiles until Sonic 3. The insta shield would make most of those enemies much easier.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Maybe it was a matter of timing but I remember you had to press the buttons pretty fast to get it. But I loved that debug mode.

I think the only other game I had that much trouble with a code for was Bomberman 64

that bomberman 64 code taught me a button mashing technique that has served me well for many years now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

that bomberman 64 code taught me a button mashing technique that has served me well for many years now

Oh? Do tell then because I’ve never been able to do it for Sonic 3 (3K however has a much easier code by comparison)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive gotten the sonic 3 level select code hundreds of times but only cause ive tried it thousnads of times

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think I ever managed to pull off the sonic 3 level select cheat, and I tried. Many times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Oh? Do tell then because I’ve never been able to do it for Sonic 3 (3K however has a much easier code by comparison)

two fingers :smugdog:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Turtles 2 taught me how to input the wierd not-konami-code that they sometimes used instead of uuddlrlr in record time because the window to actually get it in was so loving short.

BABAUDBALRBAS is burned into my memory to this day.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I remember reading the Sonic 3 level select code on Digitiser but not being able to play it that day for some reason and becoming convinced that either they or I had written it down wrong as I could never input it correctly

my copy of Sonic 3 was second hand and had a completed save on it so before I knew how to get past it I played up to the barrel, turned the game off and then loaded Ice Cap Zone

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone analysed the code behind the Sonic 3 debug cheat - not only do you have a relatively short window to hit all the inputs but there are a ton of random frames within that window where the inputs simply won't register, so you have to hope you pressed the button on the precise frames that the game will recognise or else it simply won't work.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Random frames where the buttons don't work? What the christ I feel so bad for young me sitting in front of the megadrive

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My level select code for Sonic 3 is slower but more reliable

I simply play the entire game up to each level and play all of the levels because the game is Good and I enjoy them (and i'm good at sonic ;-0
_)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Someone analysed the code behind the Sonic 3 debug cheat - not only do you have a relatively short window to hit all the inputs but there are a ton of random frames within that window where the inputs simply won't register, so you have to hope you pressed the button on the precise frames that the game will recognise or else it simply won't work.

I fuckin knew there was something weird about that code. I could get all the inputs in every time but it never worked for me and I didn't know why until now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's amazing how so much about old games is ridiculously obtuse in retrospect. Can play a game hundreds of times and there's still so much that you'd never figure out without being told.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

My favorite cheat code button combo is the free movement code in Vectorman for Genesis: CALL-A-CAB.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ColdPie posted:

My favorite cheat code button combo is the free movement code in Vectorman for Genesis: CALL-A-CAB.

And then the game doesn't give you the ending for cheating :argh:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I tried Sonic Forces over the weekend. Sure, the writing is terrible, but overall I'm having fun with my flame-painted black hedgehog with Chrono Trigger hair.

The game's definetly gone overboard with the collectibles - once you get all the read star rings, a set of number rings appear (which you have to collect in order), and after that there's a third set of moons rings (which collect within 5 seconds or so of each other).

Also some of the challenges are kinda finicky. I'm having trouble jumping on five enemies in a row as classic sonic without missing any, the fine left/right accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. I appreciate that they gave him the drop dash, though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I kind of want to try Forces again, especially now that there are mods to expand the levels. I remember seeing a mod that added some in-game dialogue to flesh things out as well and it did a pretty good job with the VA.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I kind of want to try Forces again, especially now that there are mods to expand the levels. I remember seeing a mod that added some in-game dialogue to flesh things out as well and it did a pretty good job with the VA.

Doesn’t Forces already have in-game dialogue though? What’s the difference?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Forces was so boring I decided to not bother with collectibles, even though they're like crack to me - now you tell me there's lots more?! Hmmm

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Forces was over before it began and this happened 30 times in 30 levels.

Except that one with stealth sections, that one took 30 years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sonic Forces seems like it's almost perfectly aimed at the remaining rusted-on and vague 'Oh hey I remember that guy' Sonic fans by going full pandering with the character creator (that's still somehow half-assed, especially since they apparently didn't want your OC to look TOO good) and gameplay that's basically minimum effort both to play and presumably to make.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
and yet sonic forces also features infinite, so who can truly say whether it's good or bad

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
forces is good

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Looper posted:

and yet sonic forces also features infinite, so who can truly say whether it's good or bad

sonic forces is a game of contrasts

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Forces sucks but Infinite rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Infinite’s backstory is hilarious at the very least (he was a mercenary Eggman hired, Shadow effortlessly kicked his rear end, he whined about it and then upgraded himself with the Phantom Ruby only to eventually be defeated again and absorbed into Eggman’s machine)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I played all the way through forces and I have no idea what the plot was. I was too focused on finding clothes and accessories that looked good with my fish-eyed bird girl's yellow crocs because once I unlocked those they were not coming off

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

infinite should’ve been the final boss

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
pretty messed up that eggman hires mercenaries...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Looper posted:

I'm the tallest of mountains
I am the roughest of waves
I AM THE TOUGHEST OF TERRORS
I AN THE DARKEST OF DAYS

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

Infinite’s backstory is hilarious at the very least (he was a mercenary Eggman hired, Shadow effortlessly kicked his rear end, he whined about it and then upgraded himself with the Phantom Ruby only to eventually be defeated again and absorbed into Eggman’s machine)

While the game all but explicitly says Shadow killed the rest of Infinite's mercenary unit as part of his backstory, I like to imagine Infinite came across as such a lamoid when he lost to Shadow that all his mercenary buddies quit the unit in disgust and Infinite just wants people to believe Shadow killed them because it makes for a more dramatic, edgy backstory.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Infinite is basically an edgelord that desperately wants to believe he’s cooler than he actually is, it’s probably my favorite aspect of the character (also it’s a pity that the scene where Shadow mops the floor with him and the latter starts whining like a baby isn’t available in theater mode for whatever reason)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Sonic Forces is just a bad Sonic Generations and it's impressive they managed to pull that off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Someone losing to shadow so hard that they latch onto him as an idol and try to out-shadow shadow is real good. Particularly since most of Shadow's edgelord-ness is a front to scare his enemies, and I think the shadow DLC even points that out.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sliding through the waterslide with my partner Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I liked when OC walks into HQ after shooting stuff and Sonic says, "you are my best friend and only partner, we do everything together" right in front of Tails, who has to go find a new Sonic and actually does.

Least favorite level select screen in the franchise probably.