Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
40 tons of supplies from Krakow left for Ukraine today and this is just one shipment, looks like a huge outpouring of support. we went out to purchase some supplies and many store shelves were already emptied out by people who had the same idea.
https://lovekrakow.pl/galeria/pomieszczenia-na-stadionie-wypelnione-darami-brakuje-nam-juz-miejsca-zdjecia_5657.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

Lots of angry/drunk Ukrainians on the streets of downtown Warsaw tonight. The Russian embassy has been vandalized a tad on the outside, but I wonder how lo g before a molotov gets lobbed over the fence.
And that would be a shame!

I tried to PM you but you don't have it/it's disabled. Cinci zoo sniper suggested I check with you about helping refugees at the border. I might be able to get to the Slovakian one, but I've no idea what needs to be done there and if I would actually be helpful there. It's not exactly close to me so I can't just pop down to see what's up.

Do people arriving need supplies? Shelter? Help talking with the locals? I could drive down there with a car full of stuff but it'd take the whole day basically so it'd like to have some idea about what's happening before I commit. You can email me at mobby.6kl@gmail.com instead and we can then exchange whatsapp or whatever.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hey, I didn’t realize I’ve lost my PMs when I lost a toxx :/. I’ve emailed you!

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
so, with the Current Events in mind, i'm kinda finding myself a bit worried about potential consequences for all the russian minorities in the baltics and across eastern europe in general :ohdear: like i'm not hearing anything bad from friends/family there for the time being, and i'm pretty sure "no consequences whatsoever" is the answer, but i'm wondering if any other ee goons here can say otherwise (hope not lol)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My Russian friend working in Warsaw was verbally abused by some old lady once because "Ukrainians steal our jobs". There's very low likelihood Pole could tell by accent where someone is from outside of "east", I wouldn't bet majority of people would be able to tell Russian, Ukrainian or Belorussian by ear. Maybe Russian/doesn't sound exactly like Russian at most.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m expecting further stigmatisation of minority politics, and maybe temporary boost to overall xenophobia.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
There is a 100% chance of it being the main ideological battleground of this year's Latvian parliament elections.

Which way it will shake out really depends on how the war goes.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Speaking of Belarus, rumour has it the their VDV troops are joining the fray in Ukraine. Tsikhanouskaya made her move.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tsihanouskaya/status/1497583706038484996

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

nurmie posted:

so, with the Current Events in mind, i'm kinda finding myself a bit worried about potential consequences for all the russian minorities in the baltics and across eastern europe in general :ohdear: like i'm not hearing anything bad from friends/family there for the time being, and i'm pretty sure "no consequences whatsoever" is the answer, but i'm wondering if any other ee goons here can say otherwise (hope not lol)

What consequences? We have laws here in Estonia.

One stupid thing I heard of was some small (ski) business putting up a sign saying "we don't do business with Russian companies or Russian citizens". How would they even know what kind of passports their customer held. Makes no sense. They should've put up a short list of names instead, starting with "V.V. Putin". That would have been a humorous take while delivering a point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't seen anything serious so far, just some reports of people being denied service by like a Ukrainian-ran tour agency etc. There's always some degree of xenophobia and this won't help, but I don't expect, like, pogroms.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

jonnypeh posted:

What consequences? We have laws here in Estonia.

One stupid thing I heard of was some small (ski) business putting up a sign saying "we don't do business with Russian companies or Russian citizens". How would they even know what kind of passports their customer held. Makes no sense. They should've put up a short list of names instead, starting with "V.V. Putin". That would have been a humorous take while delivering a point.

i mean, you don't need laws to be a xenophobic dickhead to someone :v:

and this kind of stuff is exactly what i'm wary of, and also the aforementioned escalation in minority politics, and ethno-nationalist fucks using all this to gain more of a foothold in mainstream. all in all, thank you putin, much protection for russian minorities, very helpful :thumbsup:

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Oh that's true, it's not against the law to be a xenophobic dickhead. But everyone's equally protected by law from harm.

But then again... We take freedom of speech quite "seriously": it's possible to get away with death threats on facebook. Even towards our president or PM. As long as one does not display a slightest hint of intent.

edit: a greater threat to stability right now is high cost of living, electricity, inflation and soon: a lot of refugees. Basically anything that a populist political party could use to rile people up if mainstream politicians don't meet expectations.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 27, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Belarusian opposition plan to hold a huge anti-war protest literally in 5 minutes. Smaller protests today next to referendum polling stations (usually schools) were quickly dispersed, activists report ~60 arrested protesters in Minsk so far.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497974377706622983

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

nurmie posted:

My Russian wife was told yesterday in Budapest by a hotel manager that they wont serve Russians, they should be home protesting on the streets of Moscow.
For context my wife was trying to help a Russian mother and her 12 years old daughter who are fleeing Russia (and heading to Estonia through Hungary, which is messed up) and they previously booked a night there at the hotel.

Edit: This was righter after the protest we attended infront of the Russian Russian Embassy... *sigh*

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 27, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
500-800 protesters arrested in Minsk alone. It's probably the biggest protest in Belarus since August 2020. There is also a considerable uptick in subscribers to opposition and independent news channels in telegram and elsewhere. Just like I didn't expect Putin to wage a full-scale war on Ukraine, I definitely didn't expect the referendum to inspire another wave of protests.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks like honorary EE member Finland opted to celebrate the conclusion to the ski jump competition in Lahti with * checks notes * paratroopers firing fireworks?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

My Russian wife was told yesterday in Budapest by a hotel manager that they wont serve Russians, they should be home protesting on the streets of Moscow.
For context my wife was trying to help a Russian mother and her 12 years old daughter who are fleeing Russia (and heading to Estonia through Hungary, which is messed up) and they previously booked a night there at the hotel.

Edit: This was righter after the protest we attended infront of the Russian Russian Embassy... *sigh*

That is upsetting. The world leaders should speak out more loudly about this being 100% on Putins shoulders, and the people of Russia are not responsibile.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Doesn't anti-Russian sentiment run pretty deep in some parts of EE? I doubt world leaders making it clear that Putin is at fault and not the entire Russian people (which is a fact) will help much to defuse the tension. Although it can't hurt, of course.

Some Baltic states have significant Russian speaking minorities as well, right? How's the situation there? If the Russian minority is mainly consuming Russian state media, they will have a pretty warped perspective of the invasion.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Speaking of Russian media, how is the halting of the economy being reported and how are people taking it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Doesn't anti-Russian sentiment run pretty deep in some parts of EE? I doubt world leaders making it clear that Putin is at fault and not the entire Russian people (which is a fact) will help much to defuse the tension. Although it can't hurt, of course.

Some Baltic states have significant Russian speaking minorities as well, right? How's the situation there? If the Russian minority is mainly consuming Russian state media, they will have a pretty warped perspective of the invasion.

In Latvia xenophobia is already on the rise, I’m catching a whiff of people haranguing people with vaguely Russian names or accents as to whether if they’re “traitors” or not.

Latvian state is opposed to running its own media in Russian, so the majority consumes at least some Kremlin-affiliated sources. That said, they’re not stupid and have access to a wealth of alternative information sources, and so the perspective on the invasion, especially in the context of history of Latvia and its relatively recent occupation, is much more diverse than what one could expect. In relative terms we have the largest Russian minority after Ukraine and Belarus, maybe Kazakhstan, so it’s going to be less crazy than, e.g., Poland whipping itself up for a Holy Crusade against Russia.

In general, Russian domestic perspective is also diverse - they just don’t want to endanger themselves by expressing true feelings, and, unfortunately, xenophobia against Ukrainians is very much real. Russian classical liberals, what they themselves consider progressives, will unflinchingly compare Ukrainian language to a speech impairment, or call them a “nation of ret***s”.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Speaking of Russian media, how is the halting of the economy being reported and how are people taking it?

Simultaneously displaying denial, anger, and bargaining stages.

Mostly denial, Kremlin is trying to force narrative that they’ve anticipated the sanctions, and that “competent people are implementing earlier prepared contingency plans”. At the same time, they also say that “Russia’s economic reality has changed” and “these are severe, problematic sanctions”.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Torrannor posted:

It varies by generation and background. Even in our most Russified city in Estonia there was a rally to support Ukraine. But people can just choose what to believe. If Putin promised extra 100€ to each old-age pensioner they'd be all for him.

Anyway, some of the Russian TV channels here have been banned since the invasion, although there was talk of it shortly before because of that Solovyov fellow who keeps telling his audiences how we aren't (or Ukraine isn't) even a country. Our telecom firms kept including those channels for free as part of their standard packages.

We also have this one (Estonian) fellow, who leads the Estonian branch of an organization called "Tradition, Family, Property", originally hailing from Brazil. But they've more to do with the corresponding organization in Poland. Ultra-catholics. And he does not like abortion, gays, muslims, COVID vaccination passes and having to wear a mask on public transport (which he surely does not use because that's heretical communism). But what he has publicly expressed is his preference for Russian rule because that will surely bring him freedom: free of masks and covid passes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Mostly denial, Kremlin is trying to force narrative that they’ve anticipated the sanctions, and that “competent people are implementing earlier prepared contingency plans”. At the same time, they also say that “Russia’s economic reality has changed” and “these are severe, problematic sanctions”.

Russia does have very significant currency reserves, seems reasonable to assume they did expect sanctions.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Most of the FX reserves are frozen with the sanctions on the central bank. Also most of the riot police is away on the Ukrainian border. So economically Russia prepared worse for this than the physical war

In LT some prominent politicians are coming out to tell people that this is against Putin and not Russian-speakers which was a nice gesture. In general russophobia in the Baltics doesn't make much sense since you have Russian-speaking poles, belarussians, ukrainians, jews and russians who lived there pre-USSR or moved recently to escape repressions in the multicultural cities, though you still got insulated nationalists and personal-level conflicts

The soviet generation is having a rough time since they generally tend to only watch Russian state TV which is back to back Putin's crackpot fantasies transmitted as reality. There is some issue with dealing with that as there is sometimes little common basis on the understanding of the things going on. I tend to blame this on the EU for not having a massive Russian-speaking TV channel to counter the Kremlin's controlled state TV

Somaen fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 28, 2022

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Russia does have very significant currency reserves, seems reasonable to assume they did expect sanctions.

Yeah about that, the Central Bank of Russia holds only part of those themselves. Now that a lot of major financial entities are banned from trading with the CBR, they might run into the problem that they might hold a lot of cash and gold, but it's no good here, there or really anywhere.

The whole thing is really baffling, because Vova's whole deal with the Russian people was making sure the 90s don't return.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
He kept his promise, he returned it to 1937 last year and 1941 this one

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

The thing is these reserves got blocked by the sanctions.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Dick Ripple posted:

That is upsetting. The world leaders should speak out more loudly about this being 100% on Putins shoulders, and the people of Russia are not responsibile.

Here's an opinion piece on why they don't -- not that I necessarily agree with their stance.
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/2/27/the-world-is-united-on-ukraine-divided-on-america

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Given the recent news about a possibly realistic chance for Ukraine to join the EU, I though about something I read that rampant corruption was one of the biggest issues in Ukraine before the war broke out. And I remember that our media claims the EU is responsible for big reductions in corruption in many EE states following them joining the Union. Was that really the case, and if yes, was the EU a main driver or was it just a natural process of going from a communist economy to a globally integrated capitalist economy?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Corruption in Poland now is at most at the average EU level now, it was pretty much everyday affair before. I remember time when every hospital stay required an envelope with "gratitude gift" given beforehand. Same with handling anything in any way connected to state services: schools, city services and especially Police. Interesting thing that was left from that time is a practice of giving some sweets or small gifts to nurses and doctors after your stay.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Latvia/Baltics chat - are the Soviet-brained boomers running the banks where you at as well? I live next to a shop with 3 ATMs and only Swedbank had bills above €10, and they had drawdown limits of €250-350 (my card and checking account are above that, don’t worry). I had to take out €780 today, ended up getting 5x50 and 53x10 and couldn’t close my wallet.

Torrannor posted:

Given the recent news about a possibly realistic chance for Ukraine to join the EU, I though about something I read that rampant corruption was one of the biggest issues in Ukraine before the war broke out. And I remember that our media claims the EU is responsible for big reductions in corruption in many EE states following them joining the Union. Was that really the case, and if yes, was the EU a main driver or was it just a natural process of going from a communist economy to a globally integrated capitalist economy?

It was the case in Latvia, and EU was the driver. We had no problems becoming a corrupt neoliberal market economy in the 90s.

alex314 posted:

Corruption in Poland now is at most at the average EU level now, it was pretty much everyday affair before. I remember time when every hospital stay required an envelope with "gratitude gift" given beforehand. Same with handling anything in any way connected to state services: schools, city services and especially Police. Interesting thing that was left from that time is a practice of giving some sweets or small gifts to nurses and doctors after your stay.

Yeah, all of this. My personal favourite was having to bribe my GP to get effective prescription meds. As someone with chronic asthma, I would require decent inhalators every now and then, and issuing the good one would draw against GPs annual limit for prescription meds for patients, to simplify the laws at the time. It was really “cool” to be coached by my parents how to give a bribe, when I was 13, since they didn’t have time to visit clinic with me.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 1, 2022

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Becoming an EU candidate means that your country is expected to start dealing harshly with corruption, but also provided with resources to tackle it. In any case, if Ukraine survives this, the debt of honour is too great for EU to not commit itself to eventual membership and a massive rebuilding effort to get UKR back on its feet.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Latvia/Baltics chat - are the Soviet-brained boomers running the banks where you at as well? I live next to a shop with 3 ATMs and only Swedbank had bills above €10, and they had drawdown limits of €250-350 (my card and checking account are above that, don’t worry). I had to take out €780 today, ended up getting 5x50 and 53x10 and couldn’t close my wallet.

It was the case in Latvia, and EU was the driver. We had no problems becoming a corrupt neoliberal market economy in the 90s.

Yeah, all of this. My personal favourite was having to bribe my GP to get effective prescription meds. As someone with chronic asthma, I would require decent inhalators every now and then, and issuing the good one would draw against GPs annual limit for prescription meds for patients, to simplify the laws at the time. It was really “cool” to be coached by my parents how to give a bribe, when I was 13, since they didn’t have time to visit clinic with me.

Can't confirm bank runs, I live abroad, but I wouldn't be surprised. There have been social media rumour fueled bank runs in the past, around 2012-2014ish especially.

Re: corruption in Latvia. It's still very much present on graft/spending/inflated tender/kickback/nepotism/procurement level and endemic in municipal spending in a slow burning fire sort of way. The judiciary in lower level courts also has a reputation for being approachable for that sort of thing as well, in an "ask around to get the right lawyer for that sort of thing" way.

Smaller scale omnipresent stuff like having to bribe doctors, traffic police, driving test examiners, etc, had pretty much disappeared by 2012 *in my experience*. Having to slip an envelope to get a building or renovation permit is not really expected either, as far as I can tell from social media discussions about house building and renovations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, a variety white collar crime still exists exists (much like elsewhere) - but it doesn’t feel as visceral as having to bribe a cop to investigate your house robbery at all. Eliminating low-level corruption improves both the perception of corruption, and the quality of life itself.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

alex314 posted:

This is very much the situation in Ukraine, at least before this.

Czech Republic was never that bad but the first time I visited it was common to pay :10bux: to get out of a speeding fine, now it's pretty much unthinkable. Though some petty (and of course high level ) corruption is still around, I just bribed the tech inspection guy to pass my 20 year old poo poo box. But it's not, like, absolutely necessary to get by. The EU has predtty pretty serious demands on this front.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Could someone provide more information about what the EU policy toolkit is that's used to reduce/eliminate low level corruption?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So, like.... what are people saying in Moldova? Is Lukashenko bluffing here or dumb enough to reveal attack plans?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Could someone provide more information about what the EU policy toolkit is that's used to reduce/eliminate low level corruption?

I don't know the specifics off the top of my head but maybe try to have a look here: https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/european-unions-fight-against-corruption/6D7B8C2C44D73D249D62FE841C9A1F4A

E: you can get it here: http://library.lol/main/E9579A6768D42FE4213047C04EB1E0D4

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 2, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Czech company is renaming 'Russian ice cream/Ruská zmrzlina' (type of an ice cream sandwich) to 'Ukrainian ice cream'. Before the package is changed, word 'Russian' will be covered by 'We support Ukraine' sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Are there any rugoons around, or has everything but C-SPAM been blocked? I'm curious as to what the mood is on the street and if any rifting along demographical lines is visible.