Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Huh never figured Nu Mou to be dog people when playing Tactics Advance. Speaking of glad that's the design they stuck with and not the weird looking ones from 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

W.T. Fits posted:

And now Stormblood is trending on Twitter.

Honestly, just put the Stormblood logo in the top right and the image still works.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Huh never figured Nu Mou to be dog people when playing Tactics Advance. Speaking of glad that's the design they stuck with and not the weird looking ones from 12.

:yeah:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Decided to get my free 15 days of playtime by leveling a class to 30 on Oceania. Thought I'd post a quick report in case anyone else is thinking about it:
-Playtime came out to 4 hours, 39 minutes. I used up some time with redoing my UI, keybinds, and character settings. I also did Hall of the Novice stuff as well as Marauder quests; I could have cut these out and just did another dungeon probably.
-I chose Marauder because I wanted faster dungeon queues but I only ended up doing Sastasha before hitting 30. I got there at level 26 and hit 29 at the end. I hit 30 on the quest before unlocking Tam-Tara.
-I did have the Friendship Circlet and Menphina's Earring the whole time, along with grabbing the Brand New Ring from the Hall of the Novice.
-The "15 days of playtime have been added to your account" email came withing 5 minutes of hitting level 30.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Managed to get a clear on P3S on PF. gently caress that fight, just annoying mechanically and boring visually.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
It says something that NEST's P3S video is just over an hour long, instead of like 20-30 minutes. (It's full of great bits though.)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/Helios748/status/1498465739862274049?s=20&t=dobjXsy-rJi4bTAvDwZvTg

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Starboard is whatever direction the majority of people dodge to :v:

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Tekopo posted:

Managed to get a clear on P3S on PF. gently caress that fight, just annoying mechanically and boring visually.
Hope you enjoy Pinax

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Its really dumb but I just went loving ham in a p1n and got this as a result

e: I realize this is because no one runs this fight, but still, :feelsgood:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Hank Nice" is a real good WoL name

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its really dumb but I just went loving ham in a p1n and got this as a result

e: I realize this is because no one runs this fight, but still, :feelsgood:

Well less because no one runs it and more because no one uploads normal clears. I uploaded a clear as a joke when our DRG popped a potion on P4N and we were both like 93+.

For comparison I was like a 59 on our last P1S and my group is fairly casual and has only cleared up to P2S.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Maguoob posted:

Well less because no one runs it and more because no one uploads normal clears. I uploaded a clear as a joke when our DRG popped a potion on P4N and we were both like 93+.

For comparison I was like a 59 on our last P1S and my group is fairly casual and has only cleared up to P2S.

I get it. I also parse decent on savage. I'm not going to look a 99 and say anything other than "gently caress yeah" even with all the caveats in the world, though.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Maguoob posted:

"no one" is, more accurately, 44,000 WAR parses for p1n

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
98 on p3n and p4n. I have brought shame upon my dojo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fiye posted:

Hope you enjoy Pinax
Like I know I'm gonna face them in P4S, but playing a tank and having to deal with tethers in P3S exclusively was really annoying. I don't think tethers are a very good mechanism: they were annoying in SoSEX and they are just as annoying now.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Fiye posted:

Hope you enjoy Pinax

Laarning P4S (first half) was a lot easier than P3S.
The difficult thing (Pinax) is very close to the start, and once you can consistently do all 4 possible patterns, you'll easily get to enrage without any further roadblocks after that.

Tekopo posted:

Like I know I'm gonna face them in P4S, but playing a tank and having to deal with tethers in P3S exclusively was really annoying. I don't think tethers are a very good mechanism: they were annoying in SoSEX and they are just as annoying now.

If you don't like tethers, I have bad news about the second half of P4S...
(but to be fair, it's the other kind of tether, more like Patch in O12S, if you've seen that)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 1, 2022

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't mind those tethers: the ones I'm specifically referring to are the boss tethers that target either a random or closest player, and that you can pick up by moving between the boss and the tethered player. They never felt good and people, especially in PFs, seem to switch off their brain if they get them. There have been more than a few times in P3S where I had to chase DPS down to grab a tether because they decided to run away, or (even worse), I can't pick them up at all because they decided to plant themselves right in the middle of the boss.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Shadowbringers level 78 MSQ: i was like 95% sure i knew who the crystal exarch was. now i'm 100% sure lol

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I don't mind those tethers: the ones I'm specifically referring to are the boss tethers that target either a random or closest player, and that you can pick up by moving between the boss and the tethered player. They never felt good and people, especially in PFs, seem to switch off their brain if they get them. There have been more than a few times in P3S where I had to chase DPS down to grab a tether because they decided to run away, or (even worse), I can't pick them up at all because they decided to plant themselves right in the middle of the boss.

The first half of P4S has those as well :v:
You solve it the same way you should have solved it in P3S: Everyone who does not want to have a tether stacks at a specified point, everyone who does want a tether stacks between the boss and those players, once you can see that there are no more tethers going to the "does not want tethers" group, the tether people can spread without taking tethers away from each other.

e: Also, place the stack point on the flank/back line, because if you don't your melee players will ruin everything.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 1, 2022

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Tamba posted:

Laarning P4S (first half) was a lot easier than P3S.
The difficult thing (Pinax) is very close to the start, and once you can consistently do all 4 possible patterns, you'll easily get to enrage without any further roadblocks after that.

P3S only has one real road block mechanic. Everything else is pretty chill outside of memes thanks Elmo strat.

Pinax sucks because sometimes you get really chill mechanics (Lightning -> Fire + Knockback) or you deal with memes (Lightning + Acid/Cleave.) and I can't imagine dealing with that in a PUG group. If there's one thing I miss about being melee its that I've had the same co-melee for 6 raid tiers and you just instinctly know what they're doing. Now I'm a SMN and I got all the free movement so I'm predestined to kill the healer.

At least part 2 is straight forward once you get what each act is asking you to do.

Fiye fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 1, 2022

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tamba posted:

The first half of P4S has those as well :v:
Yeah I know, I'm just glad that it isn't a tank-only mechanism so that others can feel the pain and that I think it only occurs like twice in the whole fight, instead of the constant boring tether TBs you face in P3S. That was one of my main issues: I couldn't do a complete auto-pilot run in P3S like I do in P2S because something might gently caress up on tethers and I need to be on the ball or the party wipes.

Fiye posted:

P3S only has one real road block mechanic. Everything else is pretty chill outside of memes thanks Elmo strat.
The roadblocks, at least in PFs, are either adds (which is weird, because you have so much time to do it right, there was one time where I hosed up and was on the opposite side of where I was supposed to and still had enough time to go across with sprint) and either FoF or tornadoes. Or the occassional cursed PF that for some reason fucks up dark fires.

Speaking of FoF, it's probably my favourite mechanism of the fight: it isn't difficult by any means but it's kind of fun and feels really chaotic even when you do it right.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

On the subject of annoying mechanics: I know this isn't a common thing, but I am really not a fan of combining mechanics that limit your control when you fail (confuse, berserk, stun, whatever) followed by AoEs you can't possibly evade, especially if those AoEs inflict vuln or another punishment debuff. It just feels rude to be like "hosed up one mechanic? Now you can't recover for a couple more!" At least with stuff that inflicts Heavy, I can try to evade even if I'm still screwed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
DPS and healers having to get tethers in P4S has made it easier for tanks in P3S because everyone now knows our pain.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Should I blow almost all the money I have on this weapon glam I really like?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I mean...are you going into the housing lottery? If not I say go for it and enjoy your shiny new murder toy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Depends on the weapon and how much money is all the money you have

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

No, you should buy the materials which are bound to be way cheaper and ask a crafter to make it.

If you're on Excal there has to be at least a few dozen crafters you could bug in just the goon FCs.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Alternately you should farm the materials - if it's a primal weapon, all those fights are easily PFable by other people looking to glamour farm/get mounts/get cards.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Yes of course, it's what gil is for. However, remember that
- If it's a crafted primal weapon, make sure to compare material prices with weapon prices. Getting the mats and having some omnicrafter on CGB make the Byakko weapon or whatever may be far cheaper.
- Most importantly: for any purchase >100k or so always check the MBs on the other servers on your data center before you buy anything. Prices on big ticket items vary by millions.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

11000002 meltdown:

I like to play FFXIV with a couch, TV, and controller. The 1360x768 TV gave up the ghost and holy poo poo, I've never even been close to a 4k HDR TV until now. Amazingly, my souped up 1070 can handle 4k 12-bit color and medium graphical settings at a smooth 60 FPS.

For the last few weeks I have been struggling to enjoy FFXIV since the upgrade due to directX 11 error 11000002, never seen before plugging in the new thing. gently caress this so much. There are a dozen things that might fix the issue, depending on what exactly causes it but that's about impossible to know. The subreddit has multiple posts a week with this error. There are multiple blog posts with going in totally different directions to arrive at what helped that writer.

I finally got to the point where I can idle in Limsa indefinitely without black boxes or crashes. No one thing on its own fixed the issue completely, but each further reduced the chances of it occuring.

What really helped me personally:
- Underclock GPU a little bit. Currently at -60Hz. Down to stock speed makes it worse.
- Output Windows in 60Hz if targeting 60 FPS.
- Output Windows in 8-bit color+dithering. This is enough for HDR and auto HDR, but maybe isn't "true HDR". No 10- nor 12-bit color. In Windows 10 this may need to be done from NVIDIA control panel.
- Install Windows 11. Kind of unhappy how big a difference that made over a clean 10 installation.

What kind of helped:
- Not using Bluetooth headphones
- Disabling sound in-game
- Turning down graphics settings in-game

What did not help at all:
- Overlay stuff. I disable them where possible.
- Disabling audio enhancements.
- Disabling full screen optimizations.
- Use Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe mode to cleanly remove and install anything NVIDIA.
- Rollback / Reinstall Windows 10.
- Reinstall FFXIV.
- Update everything.
- Change FFXIV exe priority in task manager.
- Different cables. HDMI cables vary so much in signal quality that I wouldn't be surprised if this is still a factor.
- A whole bunch of other poo poo.

gently caress error 11000002 and gently caress the DirectX 11 it rode in on. I hope you never come across it. If you have, what helped?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 1, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Glagha posted:

Depends on the weapon and how much money is all the money you have

Kyrosiris posted:

No, you should buy the materials which are bound to be way cheaper and ask a crafter to make it.

If you're on Excal there has to be at least a few dozen crafters you could bug in just the goon FCs.

Leraika posted:

Alternately you should farm the materials - if it's a primal weapon, all those fights are easily PFable by other people looking to glamour farm/get mounts/get cards.

Xerophyte posted:

Yes of course, it's what gil is for. However, remember that
- If it's a crafted primal weapon, make sure to compare material prices with weapon prices. Getting the mats and having some omnicrafter on CGB make the Byakko weapon or whatever may be far cheaper.
- Most importantly: for any purchase >100k or so always check the MBs on the other servers on your data center before you buy anything. Prices on big ticket items vary by millions.

I was too impatient and bought the glam :negative:

Still have 100K though...

Also Xerophyte did you pick Byakko randomly for your post? Cause it was his book I bought.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Byakko is (at least on crystal) still one of the big money crafted weapons, so it wasn't a bad guess. His farms are like a minute to five minutes depending if you have to do the curtain fire section, so getting weapons to desynth for mats shouldn't be too hard if you want to do it in the future.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's always worth mentioning that you should roll on any and every primal weapon if you're farming for a mount or whatever. Lots of people pass and so they can reset as fast as possible, so it usually isn't hard to get most of them yourself. And you can desynth them all, potentially giving you the unique primal mat that is often worth a lot of cash or that you can use for your own glams.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Also Xerophyte did you pick Byakko randomly for your post? Cause it was his book I bought.

Random-ish. "Expensive glam weapon" meant StB primal weapon was a pretty safe bet so I figured it was that or a Suzaku one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/9c4b11b82c2eb95cf1aa053d93e0b2cdfe7d87d2

6.1 Live Letter Friday at 3am PT, we're back to the early morning Japanese broadcasts again.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

11000002 meltdown:

I like to play FFXIV with a couch, TV, and controller. The 1360x768 TV gave up the ghost and holy poo poo, I've never even been close to a 4k HDR TV until now. Amazingly, my souped up 1070 can handle 4k 12-bit color and medium graphical settings at a smooth 60 FPS.

For the last few weeks I have been struggling to enjoy FFXIV since the upgrade due to directX 11 error 11000002, never seen before plugging in the new thing. gently caress this so much. There are a dozen things that might fix the issue, depending on what exactly causes it but that's about impossible to know. The subreddit has multiple posts a week with this error. There are multiple blog posts with going in totally different directions to arrive at what helped that writer.

I finally got to the point where I can idle in Limsa indefinitely without black boxes or crashes. No one thing on its own fixed the issue completely, but each further reduced the chances of it occuring.

What really helped me personally:
- Underclock GPU a little bit. Currently at -60Hz. Down to stock speed makes it worse.
- Output Windows in 60Hz if targeting 60 FPS.
- Output Windows in 8-bit color+dithering. This is enough for HDR and auto HDR, but maybe isn't "true HDR". No 120 Hz, not 10- nor 12-bit color. In Windows 10 this may need to be done from NVIDIA control panel.
- Install Windows 11. Kind of unhappy how big a difference that made over a clean 10 installation.

What kind of helped:
- Not using Bluetooth headphones
- Disabling sound in-game
- Turning down graphics settings in-game

What did not help at all:
- Overlay stuff. I disable them where possible.
- Disabling audio enhancements.
- Disabling full screen optimizations.
- Use Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe mode to cleanly remove and install anything NVIDIA.
- Rollback / Reinstall Windows 10.
- Reinstall FFXIV.
- Update everything.
- Change FFXIV exe priority in task manager.
- Different cables. HDMI cables vary so much in signal quality that I wouldn't be surprised if this is still a factor.
- A whole bunch of other poo poo.

gently caress error 11000002 and gently caress the DirectX 11 it rode in on. I hope you never come across it. If you have, what helped?

I had this problem after getting a new graphics card. The underclocking and FPS locking seemed to help a little bit and I thought it was an FFXIV only problem but I noticed weird graphics crashes on another game so I finally realized it was the card. I got a new one (same model/manufacturer, just a different card) and that solved the problem.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

psychoJ posted:

Shadowbringers level 78 MSQ: i was like 95% sure i knew who the crystal exarch was. now i'm 100% sure lol

I basically knew who it was right off the bat simply because of how tiny the pool of potential candidates was… but I couldn’t remember their name.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

iPodschun posted:

Decided to get my free 15 days of playtime by leveling a class to 30 on Oceania. Thought I'd post a quick report in case anyone else is thinking about it:
-Playtime came out to 4 hours, 39 minutes. I used up some time with redoing my UI, keybinds, and character settings. I also did Hall of the Novice stuff as well as Marauder quests; I could have cut these out and just did another dungeon probably.
-I chose Marauder because I wanted faster dungeon queues but I only ended up doing Sastasha before hitting 30. I got there at level 26 and hit 29 at the end. I hit 30 on the quest before unlocking Tam-Tara.
-I did have the Friendship Circlet and Menphina's Earring the whole time, along with grabbing the Brand New Ring from the Hall of the Novice.
-The "15 days of playtime have been added to your account" email came withing 5 minutes of hitting level 30.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know this was a thing and I'm just cheap enough to want that value. Looking around elsewhere, I see one fellow saying the fastest way to do it is pick a Limsa starting job and unlock fishing and ocean fish a couple times to Fisherman 30. Gonna try that.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Regalingualius posted:

I basically knew who it was right off the bat simply because of how tiny the pool of potential candidates was… but I couldn’t remember their name.

I had 0 clue because crystal tower wasn't mandatory when 5.0 launched, or at least I just unlocked the raid back in the day before HW dropped and left it there, so when the reveal happens I was like ".... who ? It's just a random cat boy ?" and it fell flat for me :D
but yeah it's probably the worst kept secret of the game with the identity of shadowhunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

SuperKlaus posted:

I see one fellow saying the fastest way to do it is pick a Limsa starting job and unlock fishing and ocean fish a couple times to Fisherman 30.
:laffo: I would have never thought that DoH/DoL classes would work for the level 30 requirement. That's great.

Heran Bago posted:

Between this post and the one in the newbie thread, you seem to have it under control now but thought I'd contribute my experience: After getting a new computer in December 2020, XIV was crashing very often. Sometimes DirectX stuff, sometimes the generic program crash message. I checked Event Viewer and a lot of the crashes were at the same time as Windows doing some other random thing, so I was going through and fixing permissions on files and folders or turning off various processes that would run at the same time as a XIV crash.
edit: XIV still crashes once or twice a week for me but it's much better than once an hour or so

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 1, 2022