Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Please express this in recreational Benadryl abuse memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1929 when the market crashed one of the few to remain unscathed was the swedish matchstick manufacturer Ivar Kreuger. Kreuger had started as a lowly engineer but thanks to borrowed money he more or less controlled the match industry in Scandinavia. Then he offered countries like France and Germany loans in exchange for a monopoly of making and selling matches. By 1922 when he sailed to America he was known as the "Matchstick King". In America he continued to loan money and making matches. He even hired an accountant and while this accountant discovered some irregularies this was quickly forgotten when Kreuger invited him and his wife on cruises. Then the crisis hit and the countries that had loaned money off Kreuger became unable to pay him back. No problem! Kreuger had secured a deal with Mussolini in1930, but the details had to be secret because the money was supposed to strengthen the italian army. With this deal in hand Kreuger then loaned money from the swedish banks in 1932. A lot of money. 2 million swedish kronar. In exchange the banks were allowed to closely examine his finances. On march 12th 1932 he was supposed to meet the bankers in Paris but he never showed up. After two hours of waiting they went to his apartment and discovered that he had shot himself in the chest.
Then it was discovered his fortune was based entirely on lies. There was no deal with Mussolini, the papers had been forged. He had claimed to have earned 316 million dollars between 1918-1930 but in reality he had earned 40 million. Most of his many firms were in reality shell companies who's only purpose was to attract investors.
All in all it was discovered that the business lacked two billions kroner. This was a disaster for Sweden who were closely tied to his firms. The swedish stock market crashed and the unemployment rose to 25%. The swedish economy didn't fully recover until after WWII.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

In 1929 when the market crashed one of the few to remain unscathed was the swedish matchstick manufacturer Ivar Kreuger. Kreuger had started as a lowly engineer but thanks to borrowed money he more or less controlled the match industry in Scandinavia. Then he offered countries like France and Germany loans in exchange for a monopoly of making and selling matches. By 1922 when he sailed to America he was known as the "Matchstick King". In America he continued to loan money and making matches. He even hired an accountant and while this accountant discovered some irregularies this was quickly forgotten when Kreuger invited him and his wife on cruises. Then the crisis hit and the countries that had loaned money off Kreuger became unable to pay him back. No problem! Kreuger had secured a deal with Mussolini in1930, but the details had to be secret because the money was supposed to strengthen the italian army. With this deal in hand Kreuger then loaned money from the swedish banks in 1932. A lot of money. 2 million swedish kronar. In exchange the banks were allowed to closely examine his finances. On march 12th 1932 he was supposed to meet the bankers in Paris but he never showed up. After two hours of waiting they went to his apartment and discovered that he had shot himself in the chest.
Then it was discovered his fortune was based entirely on lies. There was no deal with Mussolini, the papers had been forged. He had claimed to have earned 316 million dollars between 1918-1930 but in reality he had earned 40 million. Most of his many firms were in reality shell companies who's only purpose was to attract investors.
All in all it was discovered that the business lacked two billions kroner. This was a disaster for Sweden who were closely tied to his firms. The swedish stock market crashed and the unemployment rose to 25%. The swedish economy didn't fully recover until after WWII.

Was that the guy who literally burned down all Finnish matchmakers that wouldn't sell out to the match trust?

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Guy was a real matchstick man

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seems some of the money was real, what made these matchsticks so good you could run massive fraud with their reputation?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Seems some of the money was real, what made these matchsticks so good you could run massive fraud with their reputation?

He was a matchless conman.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Many people who lived through the depression kept their money under the match-trust. :dadjoke:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alhazred posted:

That's the same business plan that a lot of tech companies currently follow: milk investors for money in order to expand a monopoly and drive competitors out of business.

If he was a businessman today he could easily have made billions off an app. He falsified a contract with Mussolini, so it wouldn't be hard to flood his Match App with accounts of fake hung men.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

That's the same business plan that a lot of tech companies currently follow: milk investors for money in order to expand a monopoly and drive competitors out of business.

Tech startups have the big advantage that they're expected to fail even after acquiring millions of dollars in financing. That gives you an exit strategy after your house of cards collapses. Even if you get investigated, most of the money will have been transferred from the company to the people that work for it (including e.g. you). So the worst that can happen is that you end up with a black mark on your record and more trouble securing funding in the future. And even then, there's plenty of stories of "entrepreneurs" getting lots of funding from investors despite multiple nasty failures in their past, because they're so good at inspiring confidence in investors.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They didn't kill or maim the people who made them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Didn't kill anyone, lied about working with fascists. Sounds better than tech companies tbqh.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Didn't kill anyone,

Supposedly not even himself

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Supposedly not even himself

Yeah, there's actually a lot of conspiracy theories around his death. And some of them are pretty bonkers: One theory is that he was killed on Stalin's orders because his loans to poverty stricken countries meant that they didn't revolt against the government. Another theory is that he was killed by swedish investors who wanted to take over his firms. One last theory is that he faked his death and the body that was cremated was just a wax replica.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Mar 1, 2022

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact: The German state monopoly on matches ran until 1983.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alhazred posted:

They didn't kill or maim the people who made them.

The match industry was actually quite good in terms of workers' rights

Probably because they were so quick to strike

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I recognize the pun, but you do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to the match industry.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

The match industry was actually quite good in terms of workers' rights

Counterpoint: The match industry was pretty loving terrible and only got marginally better because of labor movements:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristiania_match_workers%27_strike_of_1889

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In English, there’s more information on the 1888 London strike.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sorry, it really was just for the sake of the strike joke, I know it was quite terrible

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Yes, and the industry was terrible, too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1351 there was a cease fire in the Hundred Years' War and the knight Jean de Beaumanoir was becoming extremely bored. And given that Netflix wouldn't be a thing for several centuries, his only choice to break the boredom was to challenge another knight to a duel. He went to Ploërmel, where an english knight called Robert Brandebourch, to challenge him to a duel. Robert Brandebourch accepted on the condition that they each brought thirty men and had a battle. This wasn't the usual way of doing things, but bound by his chivalric ideals Beaumanoir could not refuse it.
On march 26th the knights met at a grand oak tree between Josselin and Ploërmel with a group of people who was there to witness the battle. Before the battle it was time for smack talk. Brandebourch began:

Beaumanoir answered:

And with that the battle started. It lasted for several hours and exhausted Beaumanoir asked for some water. The reply he got from his own soldiers was "Drink thy blood, Beaumanoir; thy thirst will pass". After a while they did agree on taking break where they could drink wine and tend to their wounded. During that break the squire Guillaume de Montauban came up with a plan. He rode a horse into the englishmen which created a hole in their line that the french could take advantage of. The french won the battle. The final tally was nine dead english knights (including Brandebourch) and six french knights.
The english then concluded that the french had cheated by using a horse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Modern war would be a lot less depressing if leaders kept up the tradition of pre-battle diss tracks.

Also Bad Cav Island lmao get reckt rosbif

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Modern war would be a lot less depressing if leaders kept up the tradition of pre-battle diss tracks.

What do you think twitter is? Or all of media really.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

to be fair, if chivalry or bushido or whatever had ever existed irl like the romantic idea of it, and also world leaders had to follow rules, that would be very neat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

What do you think twitter is? Or all of media really.

Half my fiancée's family lives in Russia and Kazakhstan, and half in the US. I've seen russian v anglo twitter wars and lemme tell ya, it's way lamer than sweet viking disses. Can somebody just have a holmgang? I know half this thread is scandinavian, somebody has to know how to wield both the axe and the tongue.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There's no rule that says a horse can't play war

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Stuff like hakarl (but also potatoes) makes me wonder how they discovered when the plant/meat was detoxified. Like, "Leifur, it's your turn to taste the piss shark, remember to give a thumbs up if it isn't lethal anymore."

If you look at old recipes, people just cooked everything. Fruits, veggies, everything. Even if you aren't using human nightsoil as fertilizer poo poo was dirty back in the day. So potatoes make sense because they would have been cooked, like everything else. They would have to be cultivated/disovered after the invention of fire but that's not a very high bar.

Weird fermentation things like hakarl or multi-step fermentation processes like soy sauce are a lot stranger to me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When they were first introduced to Europe some people thought potatoes were satanic because they were from the heathen New World and they grew underground closer to hell which is of course highly suspicious.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Half my fiancée's family lives in Russia and Kazakhstan, and half in the US. I've seen russian v anglo twitter wars and lemme tell ya, it's way lamer than sweet viking disses. Can somebody just have a holmgang? I know half this thread is scandinavian, somebody has to know how to wield both the axe and the tongue.

Modernity is just kinda depressing. Though it gave us computers etc.

Are there even any pro-Putin people tweeting in English with a real light in their soul? Because if so I do not see them.

He has killed Russia, a country with questionable light to begin with.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

doverhog posted:

He has killed Russia, a country with questionable light to begin with.

We'll all see Russia's light soon enough.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I am taking your message seriously. Do you mean Putin will start nuclear war due to his defeats? And do you believe the Russian nuclear apparatus will actually follow his commands?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FreudianSlippers posted:

When they were first introduced to Europe some people thought potatoes were satanic because they were from the heathen New World and they grew underground closer to hell which is of course highly suspicious.

The fact that both them and tomatoes are nightshades probably didn't help mstters

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

doverhog posted:

I am taking your message seriously. Do you mean Putin will start nuclear war due to his defeats? And do you believe the Russian nuclear apparatus will actually follow his commands?

lol russia discourse has gotten so loving lovely

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My bet is on Putin taking a bullet to the head before this is over. Whether it's self inflicted or from an assassin is unknown.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

BasicLich posted:

lol russia discourse has gotten so loving lovely

Putin has made it this way, so blame him.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

doverhog posted:

Putin has made it this way, so blame him.

*cracks the seal on the can of worms and begins pouring it all out*

I must admit, I'm somewhat sympathetic, the USSR was dysfunctional but it could have perpetuated past the crises in the late 1980s that culminated in the careful dissolution of the Warsaw pact, the union of soviet republics, the reunification of Germany etc, but this dissolution was predicated on promises the west made that we never held up our end of the bargain on.

it's pretty obvious that the west has been happy to see conflicts like this from generation to generation as long as it culminates in the obvious goal of making russia subservient to western capital

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The gently caress does that justify an invasion

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Can we keep this poo poo in D&D and CSPAM please?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

The gently caress does that justify an invasion

i don't recall saying i supported the invasion

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can we keep this poo poo in D&D and CSPAM please?

now this is something i support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah, that's like a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with invading Ukraine, bombing nuclear plants, sending in mercenaries to assassinate their elected president.

I don't know if we can, as we are in an actual "historical" moment. But I can certainly talk about why Finland made a mistake in not joining NATO way before this.