Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MonikaTSarn posted:

I'm not so convinced this part of the Geneva Convention is a good thing if it prevents the agressor from being shamed at home. Just thinking about pictures of american POW during the vietnam war, and how they possibly made the war more unpopular at home leading to its eventual end.

Anyway, I find it in bad taste to complain when the defenders against a genocidal war of invasion break a less important rule in some way, when the other side is carpet-bombing cities.

They very easily could have censored the faces of the soldiers. Any one of them could become a sensation at home if their phone call goes viral in Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Upgrade posted:

to be fair if you tube has taught me anything its that you can eat expired MREs just fine (thanks stevemre!). but the "where do they poo poo" question is a fair one!

you empty the MRE bag, you fill the MRE bag. the cycle of life

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean it makes sense.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russian morale was higher in Leningrad than it is in kyivgrad.

i mean that was their homeland so even when your eating shoe leather and rats its "higher". with this, there is no goal outside "take this place" and "you will be greeted with flowers" if even that.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

So a couple days ago, when the Ukrainian government first publicized the website they had set up with videos of POWs and scans of documents of those killed, I flipped through the documents and almost every single one was in his 40's. Doesn't really mesh with the "they're all 18 year old conscripts" narrative.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/gregmyre1/status/1498691708145606656?s=20&t=MH7af1aeydIUVBsaynAtgg

The convoy does not appear to be moving.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's also worth noting, Ukraine didn't manage to blow up the whole thing to pieces, so, I'm not sure why its being pointed to as some kind of sign of massive incompetence or institutional stupidity.

I feel like this is a very important thing to note. If this was day 1 or day 2 that entire column would be smoking, but for some reason it seems to be almost entirely intact now after being there for a long rear end time. I don't see any reason why the Ukranians would stop shooting stitting ducks, so there has to be some other significant reason why they can't or won't attack it. That reason is at least somewhat likely to be "Russians actually started doing poo poo properly and now have air superiority"

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

Are they getting closer to it though? We've had a few pics of Russian equipment being bombed / destroyed, but it felt like in the first few days it was a non-stop flow of "30 burned out Russian vehicles in a row on a street" and now it's more "a drone explodes a single rocket battery" once a day. Not sure if it's just Opsec, Ukraine running out /being unable to use their stuff as effective as before, Russia beign more cautious and having a better position or a combination of all that.

While its slowed down some, there are still tons of posts on vehicles, yes blown up but an increasing number are just abandoned, and quite a few with fuel still left in the tank.

People have been busy posting long discussions about other topics rather than about the immediate reality on the ground as much. Which is fair! It's D&D and a lot of it has been very insightful! There's huge international political poo poo going down! But it seems like a lot of people in this thread have stopped looking at the equipment photos and videos that are being posted on Twitter and elsewhere.

Not me though because my brain is broken.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheRat posted:

I feel like this is a very important thing to note. If this was day 1 or day 2 that entire column would be smoking, but for some reason it seems to be almost entirely intact now after being there for a long rear end time. I don't see any reason why the Ukranians would stop shooting stitting ducks, so there has to be some other significant reason why they can't or won't attack it. That reason is at least somewhat likely to be "Russians actually started doing poo poo properly and now have air superiority"

you're mixing up two concepts

air superiority means your aircraft can do whatever you want. neither side appears to have air superiority. nobody has ever claimed ukraine had air superiority, people believed russia should have it already (but it does not).

i absolutely agree that ukraine hasn't just failed to read the news and if they could attack it, they could - that means that russian air defenses are strong enough to deter a bombing run in that region. but that doesn't mean that russia can send out its helicopters without getting them blown up, or has eliminated the ability of the ukraine air force to operate elsewhere.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Thom12255 posted:

Just impressive how poor their logistics are when Kyiv is right across the border. https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1498685248095375362
I wonder if assessments like this are part of what's persuaded China to start saying they're willing to broker a ceasefire and to ramp up its language a little.

https://www.ft.com/content/e32aaff8-af24-46e1-8c7c-2a7d09387e45

quote:

China signalled it was ready to play a role in finding a ceasefire in Ukraine as it “deplored” the outbreak of conflict in its strongest comments yet on the war.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheRat posted:

Theory, so I don't get yelled at:

There's tons of video and pictures of supply trucks that have been acquired, destroyed, or abandoned. Why waste fire on a convoy that is running out of fuel and food?

Even a tenth of those vehicles becoming immobilized due to a shortage of fuel stops that thing in its tracks

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

evilweasel posted:

you're mixing up two concepts

air superiority means your aircraft can do whatever you want. neither side appears to have air superiority. nobody has ever claimed ukraine had air superiority, people believed russia should have it already (but it does not).

Air superiority means you have the upper hand and the enemy struggles to perform.
Air supremacy means your aircraft can do whatever you want.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KitConstantine posted:

There's tons of video and pictures of supply trucks that have been acquired, destroyed, or abandoned. Why waste fire on a convoy that is running out of fuel and food?

Even a tenth of those vehicles becoming immobilized due to a shortage of fuel stops that thing in its tracks

Yeah, this: The convoy isn't making a lot of headway, its gonna run out of fuel on its own as it sits, and even if it got to Kyiv, its likely it would be readily attacked or captured.

TheRat posted:

Air superiority means you have the upper hand and the enemy struggles to perform.
Air supremacy means your aircraft can do whatever you want.

Right now, neither side has either. Russia can keep Ukrainian aircraft low or out of the sky, but Russians own aircraft have to strike from significant distance.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Theory, so I don't get yelled at:

Also keeping in mind, every one of those vehicles that does get bombed is one that can't be stolen by pissed off Ukrainian citizens looking to further make a meme of Russia's military.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Blake_Allen13/status/1498694897825718273

Absolutely hilarious if this is true.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Shooting a TV tower to stop propaganda and hitting a holocaust memorial is a remarkable denazification success

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

Ah, I was wondering what the term "muscle movement" was referring to.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Zephro posted:

I wonder if assessments like this are part of what's persuaded China to start saying they're willing to broker a ceasefire and to ramp up its language a little.

https://www.ft.com/content/e32aaff8-af24-46e1-8c7c-2a7d09387e45

I wonder if Putin can get some sort of off ramp if China negotiates a ceasefire and treaty, saying that the West was never serious about peace.

Then again, Putin doesn't want anyone to be bolstered so...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Some Finnish military officials speculated Ukraine simply does not have enough artillery resources to bomb the convoy.

It should be noted that Finnish military has a history of bombing Russians with massive artillery strikes.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

When Ukraine starts having captured Belarussian phone their families, will it cause more problems in Belarus than it has in Russia thus far?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Anonymous claimed to have leaked the Russian MoD database a few days back so it's probably true

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also its fairly likelu the Ukrainians have very limited ordinance, at least at the front lines. They only have 12 baraktyars total and it isn't clear how many missiles they have for them. It might be a matter where they have to ration strikes and hitting the front and the fuel makes more sense than total destruction.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ukrainian Prada, is that a fashion magazine? :v: (it's Pravda, 'Truth')

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, this: The convoy isn't making a lot of headway, its gonna run out of fuel on its own as it sits, and even if it got to Kyiv, its likely it would be readily attacked or captured.

Right now, neither side has either. Russia can keep Ukrainian aircraft low or out of the sky, but Russians own aircraft have to strike from significant distance.

Plus it seems like there's been enough time to set up barricades/demolition sites that would halt its progress even more if it started moving closer, so command can concentrate on other areas while this particular threat remains a safe distance away.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

greazeball posted:

Plus it seems like there's been enough time to set up barricades/demolition sites that would halt its progress even more if it started moving closer, so command can concentrate on other areas while this particular threat remains a safe distance away.

This. It's not like Ukraine won't notice if it starts moving again.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498687821355405315?s=20&t=2A3sZyvowK5B6xpUCihhqQ

Why bother attacking it with a risky air attack when it's stalling on its own?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Morrow posted:

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498687821355405315?s=20&t=2A3sZyvowK5B6xpUCihhqQ

Why bother attacking it with a risky air attack when it's stalling on its own?

One would assume it's not going to stay there forever if left alone

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Also makes sense to let the convoy get a little closer so that when you do strike it you can take whatever is left/abandoned to defend the city

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheRat posted:

the simplest likely answer is that russia is concentrating their forces outside of the effective range of ukrainian heavy weapons and airstrikes. the most effective weapons to use in this case - tube and rocket artillery - aren't close enough to strike. ukraine probably doesn't have a lot of close air support aircraft remaining and it would be better to employ those aircraft in actual combat and not interdicting a buildup where the enemy is more closely protected by their own AA

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

C’mon, you eat an MRE and there’s nothing to fill the bag back up with. We called it “getting off the MRE train”, and you needed to be prepared for that. Wet wipes and all.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

TulliusCicero posted:

:stare:

As a historian it's loving fascinating to see one change in the calculus reunite a fracturing NATO and EU and restore many alliances that were starting to fall apart

Also fascinating to see France reascend to prominence as the leader of Europe with and Germany reversing course on pacificism.

Putin effectively isolated Russia with this dumb poo poo better than any American CIA op or President could have done in 30 years.

Nice job idiot :bravo:

It reminds me of every time republicans come into congress and cut some program that is meant to mitigate a blackswan event and suddenly when the thing happens everyone is reminded why that program was designed in the first place

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Shooting a TV tower to stop propaganda and hitting a holocaust memorial is a remarkable denazification success

I can't find it but a Russian organ reported that the site was being used to urge citizens in Russia to commit terrorism and other crimes against the state. They are going full Soviet.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I would maybe dedicate more of my mobile forces to areas where this is going down rather than on a traffic jam that's still 10s of kms away

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1498696821245362176?t=E8Cy22zRaGmuwxCP7RtUSA&s=19

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ukraine army should try and broadcast to the Russian troops that if they don't leave RIGHT NOW, they will but telling their parents.

With how low the morale seems to be, and how young the conscripts are, I wouldn't be surprised if a stupid threat like that actually get some of them to leave.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

ravenkult posted:

Article 35 bans weapons that "cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering," as well as means of warfare that "cause widespread, long-term, and severe damage to the natural environment."

What are you on about?

Article 35 doesn't ban specific weapons like thermobaric weapons which is what the post was about. It just says you can't use any weapons, be it a bomb or a rifle, to cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering (or long-term environmental damage). The geneva conventions does says how you can use something, but not what you can use with one exception - there's a separate geneva protocol that explicitly bans chemical (including gas) and biological weapons. Thermobaric weapons are absolutely awful, but they're not banned by the geneva convention. There's a whole host of international treaties that ban many different types of weapons, but Russia is not a signatory to a lot of them.

MonikaTSarn posted:

I'm not so convinced this part of the Geneva Convention is a good thing if it prevents the agressor from being shamed at home. Just thinking about pictures of american POW during the vietnam war, and how they possibly made the war more unpopular at home leading to its eventual end.

Anyway, I find it in bad taste to complain when the defenders against a genocidal war of invasion break a less important rule in some way, when the other side is carpet-bombing cities.

The Hanoi marches of PoWs actually did the opposite, and if anything increased support for the war. American pilots were tortured until they did videotaped confessions of the crimes they did against civilians and how they were well-treated. The most famous instance is probably John McCain's "confession" and how he never regained full use of his arms after having his shoulders broken during the torture.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dante fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 1, 2022

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

TheRat posted:

One would assume it's not going to stay there forever if left alone

Don't interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake etc. etc.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Alchenar posted:

Imagine trying to fight after spending 2-3 days living in a truck in the forest at 0 degrees C.

I read an account from someone who had been on the ground in Fallujah as a ~19 year old, written a few years later.

A thing that stuck with me is that by the time they got to the point of "time to start killing people" they had been awake for more than 36 hours straight.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So there's a 7 minute long rambling video of Lukashenko explaining to his security council why Putin is actually doing extremely great and how Ukraine should surrender before Russia goes full Iraq on it. It was fairly low content, but he mentioned that Belarusian hospitals treated 170 Russian soldiers. He used this number to refute Ukrainian number on Russian losses, but inadvertently might have confirmed that they are in the right ballpark. I imagine only a small fraction of wounded soldiers would actually be transported all the way to Belarus.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 1, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Upgrade posted:

This feels like something that was solved for 60 years ago. How do radios in the US army work?
They're made by a company called L3Harris and are both very expensive and very fancy. Here's more information than you could possibly want on a variety of radio equipment used by the US military: https://www.l3harris.com/all-capabilities/tactical-multiband-radios

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

I am reminded of the horrifying sequence in Catch-22 where a comatose soldier in a bodycast just has his pee-drain and IV fluid bags switched around every 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hungarian media. When the article came out it was titled "Standing with Ukraine is treason", since has been changed to "Standing with Ukraine?"

Back from the train station, my English was more needed than my Russian, because 80% of the people coming here from Ukraine were foreign students. (at least today, and to Budapest)
Refugees are getting free food and drinks from different religious organizations and lots of private offers. Things were well organized, I was provided with a link to a google(?) map that lists all the apartments offered by people, with a short description and how many people can stay there etc. and the owners phone number to call.
Most of the stuff we had to do is getting people settled somewhere and tell them how to get there or get a ride for them, in some cases helping people buy tickets to other European destinations.
Probably we will go back tomorrow during the day when we can be most useful, as after work hours they have lots of volunteers.