Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Immanentized posted:

Generally the concepts make sense but he's way overblowing the second order stuff, especially on a global scale. Europe is in for some shocks but North America, Asia, and Australia should be relatively insulated against the secondary shocks.

Furthermore the food inflation is effectively priced in already, while we can probably expect to see costs rise it won't be sharp.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I watched it. Yes, he presents his material in a calm and well thought-out matter and the dude isn't ringing any major Chud alarm bells, but at the end of the day, prepping is His Thing and he's still extrapolating things out to their worst case scenario. The urge to go RAHHHH must prep for everything! is understandable during times of uncertainty, but don't let it become a source of anxiety in and of itself. Unless you have a rural homestead with a storm basement stocked to the rafters (something that probably even 99.9% of the weirdest Doomsday Preppers don't have), there's no way you can be 100% prepared for everything at all times.

All you can really do is be proud of making a concerted effort to keep your family safe in weird times and have faith in what you've already done or are currently doing. This isn't the time for big, sweeping gestures (i.e. buying a bunch of poo poo because I Think I Need It Now) but to keep calm but alert and keep pushing on. I do think that we could be in for some weird weeks ahead, but not as bad as what this guy is saying, but I'm going to continue to try living my life as normally as possible while trusting that everything I've done is enough.

This goes for everyone and not just you, but I'd highly recommend taking a doomscrolling break every now and then. If you don't have one within petting distance, YouTube is full of videos of cute animals.

Thanks for the reality check, guys. I really, truly appreciate it.

I think I'm going to take a break from watching the news or this thread constantly. The doomscrolling is definitely not doing me any favors. I took a break last night for a date night with the old lady and it was a great night.

I think you're right -I just need to keep slowly adding to my preparedness level in both skills and supplies at the same rate I was doing before the whole war kicked off, not make any huge purchases, and just prepare as best I can while living my life. I really want to get to 3 months worth of supplies, but that's not realistic with the space constraints I have in my apartment. I have approximately 3 weeks worth of food, maybe a bit less, 2 weeks of water for 2 people, 3 ways of making water safe to drink, and $1000 in cash in a safe. I'm better prepared than most, and I guess I should take comfort in that.

You guys are right. Life's stressful enough without adding to it needlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can the Russian's like ever not war crime?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1498631404070088706?s=20&t=jXTJkjPxkXp--4DdB5nxcQ

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
stop mainlining youtube self-defense and prepping videos

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I feel like there is an @dril tweet in here somewhere

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just a note for American and Asian readers, Ukraine APPLIED for membership, ACCEPTANCE requires several items on a political, economical and safety level to be completed. What does it mean for Ukraine right now? Just by applying you get structural funds which usually are used to prop the economy to developed country level but nobody will audit on the exact use(it could be hospitals, it could be tanks, as long as it's expended in eu). It's a gigantic boon since other eu members will have active interest on their well being as it's a gigantic new market to grab cheap manpower and sell goods.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
War crimes on top of older war crimes.

https://twitter.com/KSergatskova/status/1498695734094405632?s=20&t=jXTJkjPxkXp--4DdB5nxcQ

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
What is humanity if not war crimes all the way down?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/kendrawcandraw/status/1498023144325582850

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Latest update from US DoD:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f085d056642c6ed

quote:

The Russian advance on Kyiv has “stalled” as its forces face logistical challenges, including a shortage of food for some units, according to a senior US defence official.

The official claimed the Russian advance on the Ukrainian capital remains “basically … where it was yesterday” and cited a number of possible reasons, including Ukrainian resistance.

They said it was also possible the Russians were pausing their advance by choice:

One reason why things appear to be stalled north of Kyiv is that the Russians themselves are regrouping and rethinking and trying to adjust to the challenges that they’ve had.

But the official also noted that the Russian military had shown evidence of “risk-averse” behaviour when it came to its own troops.

You’ve seen it on the ground, where units are surrendering, sometimes without a fight. And they’ve got, a lot of these soldiers are conscripts, never been in combat before, some of whom we believe weren’t even told they were going to be in combat.

Turns out it's not a good idea to invade another country with an unwitting and unwilling force, particularly when you don't have food or fuel.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The Ukrainian government have asked for the International Red Cross to provide humanitarian assistance. Not for them, but to return the bodies of Russian soldiers.

:perfect:

https://videos.metro.co.uk/video/met/2022/02/26/1470806684869216332/1024x576_MP4_1470806684869216332.mp4

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

The Ukrainian government have asked for the International Red Cross to provide humanitarian assistance. Not for them, but to return the bodies of Russian soldiers.

:perfect:

https://videos.metro.co.uk/video/met/2022/02/26/1470806684869216332/1024x576_MP4_1470806684869216332.mp4

…they legit did the meme.

“Call an ambulance!

…but not for me :getin:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy poo poo.
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498697710429425672

As pointed out in the thread, not known to be operable, not known to have ammunition, Ukranian forces known not to be trained on it. The major achievement is taking it out of the Russians' hands.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

Latest update from US DoD:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f085d056642c6ed

Turns out it's not a good idea to invade another country with an unwitting and unwilling force, particularly when you don't have food or fuel.

Please tell me that Ukrainian forces are using this opportunity to start picking off parts of that giant rear end siege convoy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo.

As pointed out in the thread, not known to be operable, not known to have ammunition, Ukranian forces known not to be trained on it. The major achievement is taking it out of the Russians' hands.

"Hold on there, PVT Snuffy, you need to get that added to your license before you can lay waste to the invaders."

e: It looks like the rockets are still fully loaded. Maybe the Russians were helpful enough to leave the manuals behind too.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

psydude posted:

"Hold on there, PVT Snuffy, you need to get that added to your license before you can lay waste to the invaders."

e: It looks like the rockets are still fully loaded. Maybe the Russians were helpful enough to leave the manuals behind too.

How hard can it be, the convoy is like 20 miles long

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You folks would know a lot better than I do. Does the vehicle look repairable? I'm guessing that the weapons array on top has electronic controls down in the charred bit.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You folks would know a lot better than I do. Does the vehicle look repairable? I'm guessing that the weapons array on top has electronic controls down in the charred bit.

I don't think its charred or anything. Looks intact, if muddy, to my untrained eye

Really, just point the barrels East and start pushing buttons

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1498703023861809154?t=V6p9-tJ_CL_VpufaSCFClA&s=19

quote:

At the Pentagon, a Tuesday morning background briefing about the war in Ukraine with a senior U.S. defense official has concluded. Important updates:

The 40 mile-long column of Russian tanks and combat vehicles that has been spotted in satellite imagery has “stalled” north of Kyiv, the senior U.S. defense official said. Several possible reasons for it, and it could be more than one of them.

There are indications that Russian forces are "regrouping" after their haphazard operation so far hasn't yielded the results they expected. They continue to deal with fuel shortages, and the senior U.S. defense official said food shortages have come up, too.

The senior U.S. defense official said that the column effectively has not moved in a day. On Monday, he said that it was about 30 kilometers north of Kyiv city center.

About 80 percent of the combat power that Russia prestaged at the Ukrainian border is now committed to the war, up from just under 75 percent Monday, and the Russians are shelling Kyiv, the senior U.S. defense official said. We've seen many reports of that from the ground.

The United States has seen signs that Russian soldiers in the invasion force, especially young conscripted ones, did not know they were being sent to combat, the senior U.S. defense official said.

The Pentagon has seen Russia deploying multiple rocket launcher systems in Ukraine that could be used to launch thermobaric rounds, the senior defense official said.

Such weapons are designed to ignite fuel while using oxygen in the air.

Airspace remains contested, the senior U.S. defense official said, despite the massive size advantage the Russian military has. The situation is "dynamic," he adds.

Russia has now launched about 400 missiles at Ukraine since the invasion began, senior U.S. defense official says. That's up from about 380 on Monday.

In the southern portion of Ukraine, Russian and Ukrainian forces are fighting in the city of Kherson, and Russia has occupied Berdyansk and taken possession of Melitopol, a city of about 150,000, the senior U.S. defense official said.

Russia remains outside the major southern city of Mariupol, and is now close enough to attack it with artillery and other long-range fires, the senior defense official said.

Finally, a sobering note we've heard from several analysts, too: Russia is still expected to adjust and has combat power to do so, senior U.S. defense official said.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo.

Oh look they also captured a piss bottle. Well done!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

How hard can it be, the convoy is like 20 miles long

How much do the Russians standardize across their weapons platforms? The Ukrainians already use other Russian MLRs. Wouldn't it just be the case of finding the firing tables?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

RFC2324 posted:

I don't think its charred or anything. Looks intact, if muddy, to my untrained eye

Really, just point the barrels East and start pushing buttons

"FRONT - TOWARDS ENEMY"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fully assuming the convoy is surrounded by Ukrainian soldiers ready to rip it apart from the forest.

I hope.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bees everywhere posted:

Oh look they also captured a piss bottle. Well done!

All they got to do is empty Russian boots to get more piss it’s not that rare.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Fully assuming the convoy is surrounded by Ukrainian soldiers ready to rip it apart from the forest.

I hope.

"Hey guys, Artem's never done this before but he thinks he knows what he's doing. We've been watching the YouTube video a few times and pressed the right buttons in the right sequence, we think. Anyway, better move back another klick to be on the safe side."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Too bad no one has a pile of CBU-97s to throw at this gigantic convoy, huh. Such a grouping of men and material is just asking to get hit, and hard.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, anything is repairable eventually. Question is time and resources that need to be dedicated to the task. For that specific one it looks like another vehicle abandoned in mud or by fleeing conscripts. Doesn't look like it got nailed by a weapons system. I am viewing a tiny Twitter pic on my phone though so could be wrong.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That MLR is probably just stuck, out of fuel. If the russians can't keep poo poo fueled, they almost certainly aren't bothering with recovery units at this point.

Even if they had a recovery unit out there, odds are whatever conscript running it wouldn't know how to use it properly.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

psydude posted:

How much do the Russians standardize across their weapons platforms? The Ukrainians already use other Russian MLRs. Wouldn't it just be the case of finding the firing tables?

Probably more than people think. Not necessarily on purpose but engineers don't usually just start from scratch every time they design something new, at least not without a reason.

It's not like it's going to be some sort of completely abstract random sequence of buttons.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Crab Dad posted:

I hope.

At this point it seems the Ukrainians are choosing not to attack it rather than not being able to. Makes sense in a way, resources are badly needed elsewhere and tbh it could well be more of a traffic jam than a convoy. Leaving the enemy to gently caress themselves up by running out of fuel and food whilst at the same time clogging up the very same road network that's ment to aliviate the situation is a legit tactic. Additionally, it appears the convoy is mostly trucks and rear-guard units, so again it makes sense to hit armour and other front-line units elsewhere.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Churchill posted:

At this point it seems the Ukrainians are choosing not to attack it rather than not being able to. Makes sense in a way, resources are badly needed elsewhere and tbh it could well be more of a traffic jam than a convoy. Leaving the enemy to gently caress themselves up by running out of fuel and food whilst at the same time clogging up the very same road network that's ment to aliviate the situation is a legit tactic. Additionally, it appears the convoy is mostly trucks and rear-guard units, so again it makes sense to hit armour and other front-line units elsewhere.

This is where Ukraine employs its strategic babushkii reserve to entice the starving Russians to surrender with pierogi and borscht.

e: Non-comedy answer: I read an earlier report citing a US intelligence official claiming Russia has had problems with getting combat bridging units to the front. Apparently between the fuel problems and the Ukrainians deliberately targeting them (I've seen at least one video of burned out trucks carrying excavators and bridging sets), they've been unable to cross a lot of the natural and man-made obstacles that have been created for them as the Ukrainians retreated and blew up bridges/dug tank trenches.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 1, 2022

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Saw some tiqtoks this morning of a B2 landing at a UK airfield. The time/season looks current. I can't link the drat thing, I thought they are all usually stationed at Whitman and/or Diego Garcia or is this normal rotation stuff? Or just spreading out equipment at various facilities instead of having everyone in one place?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Churchill posted:

I know little but would assume they'd be firing artillery at the convoy if they can, but past that it's not like they have the planes to launch Highway of Death 2

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Churchill posted:

But a few well placed attacks will create an even bigger traffic jam.

The mother of all traffic jams.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I would love to hear that the tos1 crew left since they were aware of the damage to civilians their vehicle would be likely to do but i guess terrain and fuel to be the culprit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

I would love to hear that the tos1 crew left since they were aware of the damage to civilians their vehicle would be likely to do but i guess terrain and fuel to be the culprit.

That's probably what they're gonna tell their Dota team, though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Crab Dad posted:

But a few well placed attacks will create an even bigger traffic jam.

The mother of all traffic jams.

Or a few self-inflicted gas tank holes, apparently:

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1498716118130860040?t=zVAoxsemvJZyMtPSESZ6sQ&s=19

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498708685572485127

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

What's your solution? Bury your head in the sand and not prepare at all for man made and natural disasters?

You know, you seem to have a personal problem with me. It feels like you always have a snarky comment, a put down, or a criticism. Be honest. Do you just not like me? If I'm so insufferable, please, put me on your ignore list. I don't need criticisms taking me down a notch when I already have mental health issues and already am a worse critic of myself than anyone else ever could be.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 1, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Has Ukraine started leafletting yet promising hot food and internet access? Wonder if we'll start seeing mass surrenders or even units switching sides. Could a Russian conscript with a smartphone easily get online in Ukraine and read any news sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Via another SA thread.
https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1498674777032114184