Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

NomChompsky posted:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1498726697230815237

I guess the Ghost of Kyiv was shot down but ejected and has shot down 21 Russian planes. Not sure if I believe all of it but it is absolutely insane if true.

It's almost certainly not, but it's not stopping me from wanting to believe

e: Snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Popete posted:

The Ghost of Kiev reportedly flew past Putins window and flipped him double birds.

While inverted!

Ghost of Kyiv is a morale booster myth. But the people of Ukraine need and deserve this morale... so yes, he shot down 21 Russian jets with his pistol after ejecting, then landed in Russia to steal a new jet.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I want the ukrainian to win so badly. Just to say gently caress you to Vladimir and his weekend war machine

Putin stepping on a rake would be a great thing to happen with regards to delegitimizing the far right both in terms of their funding and also shattering this image they try to project of him as this paragon of manly government.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The odds Ukraine is facing in this war could perhaps be best described as "darksoulsian"

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine the moral effect if you were stuck in a traffic jam that has barely moved in two days, there is no food, no fuel, no communications, nowhere to go

Atlanta when snow fell

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 1, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

The odds Ukraine is facing in this war could perhaps be best described as "darksoulsian"

Putin is the final boss of Elden Ring

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

The personal information of some unfortunate conscript is worth less than a sheet of my used toilet tissue.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Yesterday the Ukrainian claim was that Russia had lost 29 planes and 29 helicopters (not an unreasonable claim).

This would mean that one guy is responsible for 1/3 of them.

I mean if Russia isn't running CAP sorties and the Ukrainian air force is picking and choosing its engagements then it might not be literally impossible but I'm pressing doubt.

I mean a reminder that this is the same Russian military that appears to be doing "just keep driving tanks into obvious ambushes, they'll run out of at weapons eventually" as their primary grand stratagy play.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

Given their logistics issues, is that actually going to make things better?

In HoI4 when the supply turns red in a zone I usually move units out, not in.

Gee, imagine if Putin and his generals played one round of HoI4 on the Kremlin LAN while sitting around that huge table

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

NomChompsky posted:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1498726697230815237

I guess the Ghost of Kyiv was shot down but ejected and has shot down 21 Russian planes. Not sure if I believe all of it but it is absolutely insane if true.

I think I found footage of it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YV9GYSrJZs

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I have always appreciated that this forums makes me think and consider other viewpoints on major geopolitical events, as well as a place to laugh instead of cry (cspam) at the horrors.

I haven't viewed conflict as good guy vs bad guy for a long time and the current conflict is stunningly complex and awful.

I hate that Russia invaded. Putin should bear primary responsibility for this atrocity.

I hate nazis and have been devastated at the rise in literal nazism occuring and now the prolific hate crimes being committed by Russian Nazis, Ukrainian Nazis, & Polish Nazis. I sincerely hope only Nazis die in the remaining future of this god awful war.

Zelensky deserves blame for failing in the same ways as the Kosovo nightmare by arming citizens both too soon and at all. Most people when not being bombarded with nationalistic propaganda simply want to live. Putin being cartoonishly evil does not absolve Zelensky.

It disappoints me greatly to see the western world uniting around supporting Zelensky and Ukrainian propaganda that is resulting in death, increased military spending, and my own tax dollars being sent for a vague "aid". What good could possible come from the DoD's $600MM given after war started?

I know "posting is praxis" can be controversial, but given how important memes are to the current situation, it must be true to a degree. Instead of posting another ghost of kiev meme to your social medias, maybe consider a reiteration that people are suffering and war is not inevitable.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The absolutely insane thing to me is the Russians lack direct communications with HQ

:psyduck:

loving what? Your troops are just running all over with no guidance other than "drive in this direction"? Their comms are a joke.

Russia might have a modern army in terms of equipment (that's a big ? At the moment) but what the actual gently caress are their logistics?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 1, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Ukraine has one trained fighter pilot and he just keeps ejecting and getting into new planes.

One pilot flies the plane with fuel, another with weapons, when one of them dies, the other arms himself with the remains.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

It would be awesome if a side effect of this poo poo is the massive boosting of disinformation dies out. We'll still be dealing with radicalized chuds but maybe it won't spread as much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Hey guys its me the Spectre of Kherson just got done loving Putin's wife omw to blow up every Russian tank east of the Dnieper (I'm real btw[not propaganda])

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I want the ukrainian to win so badly. Just to say gently caress you to Vladimir and his weekend war machine

Vladimir and The Weekend War Machine is a cool band name.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I just want to mention that the UA have a handful of units nicknamed "Cyborgs". That is all.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I hate that Russia invaded. Putin should bear primary responsibility for this atrocity.

Ha! I get it. Russia, bear.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Ghost of Kyiv is Mobius One, confirmed

Fighting force equivalent of an entire squadron, by himself. Going for the highest score in Operation Katina.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

KitConstantine posted:

Holy poo poo. Imagine bringing Bolton on and thinking he would *compliment* Trump's actions regarding Russia, but this is loving brutal

It's a must watch.

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/sta...ingawful.com%2F

:lol: at them using a clip of Trump's big strong handshake to make him look tough on Putin

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Upgrade posted:

In this essay I will demonstrate why Mario 64 is necessary to understand the psychology of Putin...

Who knows why he crushes turts? Perchance.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I have always appreciated that this forums makes me think and consider other viewpoints on major geopolitical events, as well as a place to laugh instead of cry (cspam) at the horrors.

I haven't viewed conflict as good guy vs bad guy for a long time and the current conflict is stunningly complex and awful.

I hate nazis and have been devastated at the rise in literal nazism occuring and now the prolific hate crimes being committed by Russian Nazis, Ukrainian Nazis, & Polish Nazis. I sincerely hope only Nazis die in the remaining future of this god awful war.

Zelensky deserves blame for failing in the same ways as the Kosovo nightmare by arming citizens both too soon and at all. Most people when not being bombarded with nationalistic propaganda simply want to live. Putin being cartoonishly evil does not absolve Zelensky.

It disappoints me greatly to see the western world uniting around supporting Zelensky and Ukrainian propaganda that is resulting in death, increased military spending, and my own tax dollars being sent for a vague "aid". What good could possible come from the DoD's $600MM given after war started?

I know "posting is praxis" can be controversial, but given how important memes are to the current situation, it must be true to a degree. Instead of posting another ghost of kiev meme to your social medias, maybe consider a reiteration that people are suffering and war is not inevitable.

Great user name post combo.

Why don't we wait for this war to be over before we decide to put blame on Zelenskiy for arming his people to defend their entire existence?
Ukraine has asked for help in many ways and they are being supported outside of direct military intervention.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Ghost is obvious propaganda but the tweet is pretty clearly saying 21st, not 21 more. Still bullshit but not "he killed a billion dudes with a knife" bullshit

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

The Ghost of Kyiv is Mobius One, confirmed

Fighting force equivalent of an entire squadron, by himself. Going for the highest score in Operation Katina.

Ghost of Kyiv finally defeated Putin and was faced with three choices:

Red - Russia is destroyed
Blue - Ghost of Kyiv takes control of Russia
Green - Russia and Ukraine merge

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1498672323100041219?s=20&t=Ccn8QfvjZlNgvTjKdslZqQ

Ukraine has been rolling out some very slickly produced videos like this one, stuff that would not at all look out of place coming from a high profile corporate ad campaign or a well-funded political campaign. It's not surprising-- they're a state actor which does video production even in normal times and presumably now is spending a little of the wheelbarrows of Western cash on a strong PR push-- but it's impressive.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I am amused/irritated by the many voices out there who make a big stink about ghost of kiev being some kind of insidious propagandic pysop when it's video game nerds applying their fantasies to social media, then being picked up by people in the conflict zone who are getting a lot of rumors nonstop in their country that's being invaded where communication is being dismantled and are looking for some kind of hero. It's all really benign to me: every war has poo poo like this. Social media just means the rest of the world is part of the interplay of the legend. CIA isn't the only association on earth with agency etc.

Is it a real person? Are they an ace already? We'll know after the war. Stop being so breathless about it.

Really tired of people having ~ B I G O P I N I O N S ~ about it to be quite honest.

But I want to believe.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Zephro posted:

The oligarchs of today aren't the oligarchs of the 1990s. They are allowed their business empires at Putin's pleasure. He's their boss, not the other way around. You can have all the money you want, but it doesn't protect you from the guy with the army and the police.

Which is all well and good until that strong man suddnely catches an acute case of 9mm lead poisoning. I'm sure any number of them would like to fill his chair and appear as the 'savior' of the Russian people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Echo being blocked is very surprising to me.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

go play outside Skyler posted:

We are giving time to our Russian customers to leave our country and take their money out before we "of course" follow the rest of the world.

Do you really think that we would ruin our "safe haven" reputation for all the dictators, terrorists, drug traffickers and other bloodlusting billionaires?

My country is very good at this loving game. My money is on my Swiss government following suit on Monday or Tuesday. Basically, after the banks have had an entire day to process all the transactions that were initiated during the weekend.

I'll happily :toxx: myself on that. I'm happy to give 10bux to SA if I'm wrong.

Congrats to Skyler for being completely correct about this.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Hi yes I would like to hear more about how Zelensky should have managed this active invasion/that the Ukrainian people shouldn't take a little comfort in the exact same war mythology used to boost morale during every major conflict in history where do I sign up for your newsletter

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

IZelensky deserves blame for failing in the same ways as the Kosovo nightmare by arming citizens both too soon and at all. Most people when not being bombarded with nationalistic propaganda simply want to live. Putin being cartoonishly evil does not absolve Zelensky.

Let me start by saying this: war is horrible and I sympathize with your belief that the best outcome here is one that minimizes death and suffering. But there's a few problems with your argument here. First, what you're really saying is "because Ukraine will inevitably lose, its better that they lose as quickly as possible, with as few soldiers under arms, because it'll minimize the total death and suffering." But how Ukraine loses matters a lot, because it will answer questions like "how much of Ukraine is independent?" and "to what extent is Russia able to terrorize the day to day lives of Ukrainian civilians?".

We've talked a lot about off ramps in this thread, and Ukraine resisting - and mustering territorial defense forces - creates new and different off ramps, and those changes might legitimately be worth the sacrifice that Ukrainians are choosing to make.

Second, people have agency. We have no evidence that Ukraine is press ganging civilians into service. The instinct to defend your country against invasion is completely understandable and doesn't solely exist because of propaganda.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm kind of taking the middle ground here: I think the Ghost of Kiev is "real" but factually speaking I don't think that he or she is a ghost. They're probably just a flesh-and-blood human pilot.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

What good could possible come from the DoD's $600MM given after war started?

Dead Russian soldiers?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do we have any information about how some of the older, cheaper anti-tank weapons work against T-80s and BTRs?

I'm talking about the Panzerfaust IIIs, Carl Gustavs and RPG-27 unguided rockets.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

Hi yes I would like to hear more about how Zelensky should have managed this active invasion/that the Ukrainian people shouldn't take a little comfort in the exact same war mythology used to boost morale during every major conflict in history where do I sign up for your newsletter

He's saying that Zelensky should've accepted that Russia would eventually win and do everything he could to hasten that outcome because it would produce net fewer deaths/suffering. Its a bizarre mix of utilitarianism and misguided rationalism dressed up as pacifism. Again the most obvious flaw is assuming that Ukraine has no influence over the outcome, which is clearly wrong. I think most people can agree that the prospect of Putin conquering and occupying the entire Ukraine is out of the window at this point, but was very much in play day one.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The Ghost is obvious propaganda but the tweet is pretty clearly saying 21st, not 21 more. Still bullshit but not "he killed a billion dudes with a knife" bullshit

It is though if you know anything about modern air to air combat. There hasn't been an ace in a day since WW2

But again, I have nothing against raising morale for troops on the ground

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

d64 posted:

This was yesterday already so might have been posted on the previous pages, apologies if this is the case, but a survey of Russians found 68% in support of the Ukraine "operation", 22% against and 10% unsure.

https://wciom.ru/analytical-reviews/analiticheskii-obzor/specialnaja-voennaja-operacija-v-ukraine-otnoshenie-i-celi

TV is the most important news media for most Russians. Picture presented on Russian TV of the conflict is decidedly different from western media.

Does anyone know the current general reliability of this polling company? According to Wikipedia, it is state-owned. Given the general reliability of Russian state-owned media, the recent tightening of state control over it, and the clear incentive to show that the Russian people support the invasion, should we consider these results as reliable at all?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

StarBegotten posted:

At what point can we say, if the Russian dont start to make gains in Ukraine, they are in trouble?

2 days ago. Their economy is imploding, there’s an enormous amount of civil unrest, their morale is surrender without a fight level, and the army may be beginning to not like the guy who sent them into this mess.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The ghost of Kyiv is real and is my friend.

Also, anyone with a brain knows it's propaganda, just roll with the fun instead of just actuallying the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TulliusCicero posted:

If they don't have food or supply lines this just throws more bodies in to starve. They can't buy food or supplies because their currency is worthless.

When Russian government goes to buy supplies from Russian producers they don't pay in US dollars, so what does it matter. They can print more money! They could even confiscate goods, because they're the government!

I feel like people are also exaggerating on Russian supply situation because of one video of expired MRE's. Russians have field kitchens, they don't have to rely on MRE's while in that road side camp.