Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

What's making you switch? besides the engine being in the right place

Have had the 996 for almost four years. Bit of an itch for something new.

Wife wants a convertible. Better for her motion sickness.

Even though the little 2L turbo 4 is supposed to have similar performance to my m96, I’m assuming the turbo will do a bit better at the elevation I drive at.

I don’t mind the 996 interior, but a modern interior is appealing.

As is a car under warranty vs one that’s 21 years old. Though my 996 has been perfectly reliable.

My only concern is that the car won’t hold its value very well. Cars aren’t investments, etc, etc. But still.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You'll have to spend up to the GTS trim with the 6 cylinder, those will likely retain value better but maybe a wash in the depreciation.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Russian Bear posted:

You'll have to spend up to the GTS trim with the 6 cylinder, those will likely retain value better but maybe a wash in the depreciation.

IMO the bottom rung base models will always be in demand as the cheapest way into Porsche sports car ownership. The depreciation differences are much more meaningful for the 6-cyl engines. My suggestion is hold out for PASM if you can

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I haven’t call around or anything, but my understanding is that GTS and Spyder allocations are unobtainable without an existing relationship. Hence why used models are so far over MSPR. Apparently base and S are available if you don’t mind waiting.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

dema posted:

I haven’t call around or anything, but my understanding is that GTS and Spyder allocations are unobtainable without an existing relationship. Hence why used models are so far over MSPR. Apparently base and S are available if you don’t mind waiting.

Pretty much. I know of friends of friends who are buying these (the 6-cyls) purely to flip, and it makes me feel ill. Oh also I'm told that new cars are being delivered with one key because of component shortages. The dealership will mail you the 2nd key 6 months after lmao

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

:ohdear:

I'm still holding out that 2023/2024 will be better.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

There is a GT3RS driving around my neighborhood with extremely prominent Ferrari badges. Is this a thing, or just a good way to spend 200k on a car and then troll other car enthusiasts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sounds like an excellent way to piss off both Porsche and Ferrari purists. I think I like that guy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lmao that would be awesome

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is like someone putting Chevy badges on a Ram regardless of the reasons as an outsider it is funny.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

There is a GT3RS driving around my neighborhood with extremely prominent Ferrari badges. Is this a thing, or just a good way to spend 200k on a car and then troll other car enthusiasts?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Art.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So people have had their Porsche on order for a year and it's finally on the boat. Yay!

Bummer.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/tech/ship-fire-luxury-cars/index.html

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

RIP Matt Farah's 718 Spyder

:rubby:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

RIP Matt Farah's 718 Spyder

:rubby:

I religiously listen to every episode of Spike's Car Radio/The Smoking Tire and I can't figure out if I hate Spike/Matt or not.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Hey Porsche, gently caress you!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39111635/2023-porsche-macan-t-revealed/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt9KWztsfIk

Where was this when the wife was speccing hers in 2017 and you didn't offer PVT+ and cloth on the base model?

At least they are proving she was right all along by going with little engine, PASM and sport chrono but come on.

Anyone know of any Porsche specific wreckers that could track down a PVT+ rear diff?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
won an ebay auction for ok-looking hollow spoke turbo twists (996tt) for like $500 and the guy actually shipped them. Can't wait to ditch the 19" wheels I have on there now.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Residency Evil posted:

I religiously listen to every episode of Spike's Car Radio/The Smoking Tire and I can't figure out if I hate Spike/Matt or not.

Same. Farah rarely hides his contempt for his own fanbase.

https://twitter.com/TheSmokingTire/status/1373719563288780800?s=20&t=E3hjuhKGkRl0CQSESLRK7Q

I really do trust his opinion on cars, more than I probably should, but it’s very easy to see why TST has struggled to gain any traction on YouTube and other non-podcast venues. He spent YEARS stuck at 800-900K subscribers while others eclipsed him in little to no time.

He’s the son of a rich CEO so of course he could grind it out for a decade making not very much. Obviously he has talent but… ugh.

I wish Zack was allowed to talk more and not just running their video production that no one watches. I’d rather hear from him since he doesn’t have gently caress you money and seems more relatable.

Spike… I go back and forth on. Zuckerman is a treasure. But sometimes I don’t care about their rich car collector takes. At least he’s been in comedy for a long time and knows how to build bits or segments into the shows. I’m glad they brought Lieberman on but they’ve been overly rude to him lately, it’s weird to listen to sometimes.

In short, I need IRL car nerd friends so I don’t have to listen to podcasts to get my fix.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

NitroSpazzz posted:

Get the VIN and plug it into here - vinanalytics.com/ I used the hell out of it when I was cayman shopping.

Thanks for this link.

Is the price this link gives the MSRP? It’s not like base MSRP without options, right?

Because if so it means my local dealer is asking $25,000 over original MSRP for a 2 year old 4S Cab.

e: yeah it must include options because it’s 13 grand more than the starting MSRP of a 2022 4S cab

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 23, 2022

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Same. Farah rarely hides his contempt for his own fanbase.

In his defense, people on the Internet are the worst.

Loved his One Take stuff back in the day. Less into the newer content. Though, in general, I'm not as into YouTube or podcasts anymore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bird with big dick posted:

Thanks for this link.

Is the price this link gives the MSRP? It’s not like base MSRP without options, right?

Because if so it means my local dealer is asking $25,000 over original MSRP for a 2 year old 4S Cab.

e: yeah it must include options because it’s 13 grand more than the starting MSRP of a 2022 4S cab

it includes options.

lmfao

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I assume the dealer will actually negotiate on that price but I'm sure Carmax won't for the 2017 S thats $500 over original MSRP (117.5k).

jfc I'm just going to set a reminder on my phone for 12 months from now that says "resume checking 911 prices"

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

bird with big dick posted:

I assume the dealer will actually negotiate on that price but I'm sure Carmax won't for the 2017 S thats $500 over original MSRP (117.5k).

jfc I'm just going to set a reminder on my phone for 12 months from now that says "resume checking 911 prices"

I was ready to sell both of my cars late last year to daily a 911 with two car seats in the back. It would have been incredibly dumb and inconvenient. But I absolutely could not stomach the asking prices on a 991.1 C2S. It was so depressing to watch prices climb $20-30K higher than they were a year or so prior. A 991.1 C2 (not an S!) near me was in the high 60s/low 70s. wtf

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I started last year thinking I could find a nice driver quality early 911 for <30k if I was patient. I'm driving a cayman if that tells you how well that search went...so much rust and so many cars in need of engine rebuilds being passed off as running great and no rust.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The rate things are going a driver quality 996 will be $30K+ soon, if not already in some areas.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Heheh, hell yeah.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

The rate things are going a driver quality 996 will be $30K+ soon, if not already in some areas.

This car market needs to go back to the way it was before. Cars as investments are just the dumbest thing in the world (especially when you factor in maintenance, insurance, etc), and I don't want to feel bad about driving an "investment."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

This car market needs to go back to the way it was before. Cars as investments are just the dumbest thing in the world (especially when you factor in maintenance, insurance, etc), and I don't want to feel bad about driving an "investment."

blame income inequality in general and the K shaped recovery more immediately

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I thought my "reasonable dream car" was gonna be a 997/991 C2 for ~40k a few years ago, who knows if that'll ever happen again. Seems like the entire generations of basic NA porches got sucked out of depreciation land into an inflation/supply chain driven squeeze, and now are gonna catch an updraft into collector nostalgia territory in the turbo and ev era.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Infinotize posted:

I thought my "reasonable dream car" was gonna be a 997/991 C2 for ~40k a few years ago, who knows if that'll ever happen again. Seems like the entire generations of basic NA porches got sucked out of depreciation land into an inflation/supply chain driven squeeze, and now are gonna catch an updraft into collector nostalgia territory in the turbo and ev era.

This is also me.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-porsche-911-carrera-targa-singer/

The $1 million 964

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's more "Singer" than it is "911" at this point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Unreasonable price for an unreasonably cool (and exquisitely detailed) car.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Motronic posted:

That's more "Singer" than it is "911" at this point.

So it runs like a sewing machine?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm friends with Rob Dickinson and used to ride around in what is now "Singer #1" before he started the company, it's now in the Petersen Museum's Vault.

Exceptionally beautiful work and amazing machines.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Maybe it looks better in person, but I cannot get behind that color.

Totally respect the quality of work and everything with it though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't really care for Singer 911s to be honest - early ones were nice, definitely, but of late they've just disappeared up their own rear end with everything. Air-cooled 911s, including the 964s they build on and especially the era of 911 they are emulating, are functional, utilitarian machines, and Singer just completely misses the point with their cars.

As weird as it might sound, they're too perfect.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Anyone can make a 911 nice let’s see a singer Kia Rio.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The targa wheels that came with my 993 coupe had some peeling clear coat in places so I got them refinished. Annoyingly, I couldn’t find anyone to take them apart completely, which is apparently a known problem with the 2 piece targa wheels. Guy ended up masking them off/painting them in two parts. Turned out great. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MrChips posted:

I don't really care for Singer 911s to be honest - early ones were nice, definitely, but of late they've just disappeared up their own rear end with everything. Air-cooled 911s, including the 964s they build on and especially the era of 911 they are emulating, are functional, utilitarian machines, and Singer just completely misses the point with their cars.

As weird as it might sound, they're too perfect.
I agree there's something a little off about Singers, which are no more than pure, gratuitous fetishism of the air-cooled A E S T H E T I C. If you have that kind of unlimited money to spend on one, why not go for a proper purpose-built hypercar with the engine in the proper place (i.e. the middle). Buy a GMA T50, it's only another couple million dollars more, and infinitely more true to itself