Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

abelwingnut posted:

can i sell caseless switch games to gamestop? and if so, does that lower the return value a bit?

iirc, gamestop takes the same amount either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol not falling for that again. MVG and digital foundry can wank themselves dry about it

lol falling for what? Nintendo has a Switch successor coming and it's not unlikely that boring details about specs are gonna leak.

the particulars of the Switch 2 leaks have been so unremarkable thus far that it's hard to imagine anyone feeling burned.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

do you guys think the next switch will have a Mario game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is no question that the Switch hardware is underpowered as gently caress, and Nintendo is also working on a new console. But this leak aint proof of anything that might happen. Remember that Samsung display leak last year? Where people wildly jumped to the conclusion that it was going to be a Switch refresh with more powerful hardware and a 4K display. Yeah that ended up being the Switch OLED.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chronojam posted:

I added eShop credit on the Switch and used it to buy a game on the WiiU just fine, they all share funds if you use the same account.

Cool I've got some cash saved up that has no real use for anything at the moment so I may just frivolously burn it on those last 3DS games I want.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

do you guys think the next switch will have a Mario game

There is a rumored Mario 2 in development

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol if you think nintendo would call it the switch 2

SwitchU+ confirmed!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

cum jabbar posted:

Yes, you will be able to pay $5 again for SMB. Even if you own it on 3ds, Wii U and a million other ways.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to my subscription, I never have to pay to buy the game again, only to rent it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

cum jabbar posted:

Thanks to my subscription, I never have to pay to buy the game again, only to rent it

Your subscription won't work on a Switch 2. You'll have to pay extra for that one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

cum jabbar posted:

I would absolutely love a real Mario 2 spiritual sequel.

Give me weird areas, enemies, and let me throw everything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Your subscription won't work on a Switch 2. You'll have to pay extra for that one.

It would not surprise me if Nintendo goes with a totally different hardware architecture for their next console, making backwards compatibility not viable.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it's called the doki doki switch in japan

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Spacebump posted:

iirc, gamestop takes the same amount either way.

thanks! kind of wild, though. i figured they'd take a few dollars off, but happy to be wrong here.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

It would not surprise me if Nintendo goes with a totally different hardware architecture for their next console, making backwards compatibility not viable.

That's literally the opposite of what Nintendo usually does lol. The WiiU has GameCube hardware in it and the 3DS has Gameboy Advance hardware in it. They spent millions of dollars trying to get the SNES to accept NES carts.

I said come in! posted:

There is no question that the Switch hardware is underpowered as gently caress, and Nintendo is also working on a new console. But this leak aint proof of anything that might happen. Remember that Samsung display leak last year? Where people wildly jumped to the conclusion that it was going to be a Switch refresh with more powerful hardware and a 4K display. Yeah that ended up being the Switch OLED.

This is ok with me because the best console of all time is the Switch OLED.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
This time the Switch 2 rumors must be true. All the leaks point to a new Nintendo console, unlike the previous 20 leaks saying the same thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The switch has sold over 100 million units and is still going strong. There is no reason for nintendo to update the system. Other than wanting something more powerful than a mid 2000s toaster.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the 2witch

the twitch

gently caress

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

The switch has sold over 100 million units and is still going strong. There is no reason for nintendo to update the system. Other than wanting something more powerful than a mid 2000s toaster.

It turns out I, and I suspect many others, would be a total mark for this.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Seriously looking at the spread of new games from BotW 2 to MK DLC and Splatoon 3 and another new Pokémon all coming out for Switch I truly believe what the bossman said when he said that the Switch was at its midpoint in its lifecycle.

This thing is going to live on like the 3DS and we may see a small upgrade like the New 3DS until something radically different comes along.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I mean eventually they'll have to upgrade it but Nintendo systems have lived in the Potato Power space since the Wii and they seem to have no problem (unless it's... the Wii U but the horsepower wasn't really the big problem there was it)

the Switch doesn't need to run HZD or Dying Light 2 or whatever- there's more than enough poo poo it can run and the high hardware install base ensures that people are still interested in porting things to it

At what point the power disparity will become a real problem for the platform is an interesting question- there were obviously things that just wouldn't run on it from day 1 but "portable gaming with graphics parity to a PS4 Pro" was clearly never the point of the Switch either so the tipping point feels hard to pin down to me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder if the handheld output on the successor will be greater than 720p. Even Steam Deck is at a 720p resolution.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder if the handheld output on the successor will be greater than 720p. Even Steam Deck is at a 720p resolution.

Who cares? Pikmin 3 is gorgeous and I have no idea what p that's running at. It's fun and I'm not really asking it to do more.

Disco Elysium looks like someone smeared brown grease paint at times and it's still amazing because the writing is so good. I don't think if it looked better I would be necessarily more drawn into it than I already am.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Which game has more engaging co-op for a little kid, Odyssey or 3D World?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

cum jabbar posted:

Which game has more engaging co-op for a little kid, Odyssey or 3D World?

3D World.

Odyssey is just controlling Cappy which is really limited. I play 3D World with my daughter all the time, it’s legit co-op.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Who cares? Pikmin 3 is gorgeous and I have no idea what p that's running at. It's fun and I'm not really asking it to do more.

Disco Elysium looks like someone smeared brown grease paint at times and it's still amazing because the writing is so good. I don't think if it looked better I would be necessarily more drawn into it than I already am.

720p looks good at that size. I'm fine with it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

People who are art-illiterate and can only decide whether a game looks good or not based on arbitrary metrics associated with the device that physically displays the visuals.

e: This was not meant as a call out of anyone in particular.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 1, 2022

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I just remembered that Wargroove did some neat zooming/formatting stuff specifically so things would look better in handheld mode/make more efficient use of the screen real estate- can't think of any other games that did this unless it was even more subtle than the minor changes in WG and I didn't notice it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Manoueverable posted:

Between Pokemon and Xenoblade 3 I highly, highly doubt BOTW2 is a 2022 game. That's way too many high-profile releases crammed together in the back half of the year and we still don't have a proper subtitle for Zelda yet.

There are companies that have concerns with when BOTW2's release date will be set and Nintendo is not one of them.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Going to play BOTW3 and Xenoblade 4 on my Super Switch U Cube Boy 64.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

clearly we can go and workshop a better name than "switch 2"
gonna go and spitball some ideas here
-new nintendo switch
-switch u
-swiitch
-sw𝕀𝕀tch
-swatch
-swotch
-swetch
-swutch
-visualboy advance
-new super switch 64 U XL i SP
-gameman
-gameguy
-the mario machine
-nintendo entertainment system (2022)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

*NEW* Switch Advance: COLOR

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The next one is just going to be called

The Nintendo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

hatty posted:

From has always been good at designing a bunch of weird enemies so it makes sense that their open world would have a ton of variety there. Hopefully BOTW2 has more than 17 enemy types

17 enemy types is pretty high for a AAA game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Didn't Nintendo just tell investors the Switch is in the middle of the system's lifespan? lol at those Switch 2 rumors.

Imagine if Nintendo ever lied about a new console announcement. hosed up.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Zurtilik posted:

The next one is just going to be called

The Nintendo

finally

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bleck posted:

People who are art-illiterate and can only decide whether a game looks good or not based on arbitrary metrics associated with the device that physically displays the visuals.

e: This was not meant as a call out of anyone in particular.

Did you play smtv? Loved it but it was obvious that the hardware was struggling. I like 2d indies too It's not like the switch is obsolete but there's so much more to gaming that is gated behind more horsepower (also no Elden ring which is probably the best game ever made to date)

I thought your reaction was interesting in an era of increasing cloud versions of switch games including PS2 RPGs lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah itd be the switch u

It's a Switch but with better performance.

Switch Up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goons! Stfu about the Switch Pro 2 or whatever; Doom 2016 is 75% off! :mood:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Goons! Stfu about the Switch Pro 2 or whatever; Doom 2016 is 75% off! :mood:

I think the doom slayer collection is also on sale! Great ports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Zurtilik posted: