Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tiny Myers posted:

Do Higurashi and Umineko have to be played in a certain order or can it be one or the other?

And if one wants to play Umineko, what's the best version? Steam, or something else?

Umineko has some roman a clef references to Higurashi and the process of writing it, but doesn't need to be read after Higurashi. In Higurashi and arguably the first chapter or so of Umineko Ryukishi07 is still learning the ropes of writing. (There's a reason why there was a year long gap between the 2nd and 3rd episodes and then another between the 3rd and 4th of Higursahi when it was originally written, instead of the every Comiket pace that came later)

The best version of both is Steam with the 07th-mod installed https://07th-mod.com/home/, unless you like Ryukishi07's acquired taste art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orenronen posted:

If you want to listen to someone else's book club, we covered Fata Morgana on a previous season of Visual Novel Book Club, a podcast where we read a chapter of a VN at a time then record a discussion about it. I think all of us still think it's the best game we've covered on the podcast. Available where podcasts usually are or on YouTube.

Is that the one Slowbeef did a few years back? I couldn't finish Ever17 but picking up Analogue and Hate Plus was fun.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

Is that the one Slowbeef did a few years back? I couldn't finish Ever17 but picking up Analogue and Hate Plus was fun.

Yes, slowbeef is still hosting the podcast, and the cast is mostly the same (I joined late). We've done a lot more games since then, including such hits as Fata Morgana and Steins;Gate. Just finished a season on Great Ace Attorney last week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

orenronen posted:

Yes, slowbeef is still hosting the podcast, and the cast is mostly the same (I joined late). We've done a lot more games since then, including such hits as Fata Morgana and Steins;Gate. Just finished a season on Great Ace Attorney last week.
I had a good chuckle at Umineko getting brought up with a "but only if you want to have 500 episodes." I think in terms of raw hour count it'd be like doing, 2.5 GAA's.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/kagakuadv/status/1496500596031078403

please shovel the garbage into my mouth, mages

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Tiny Myers posted:

Do Higurashi and Umineko have to be played in a certain order or can it be one or the other?

And if one wants to play Umineko, what's the best version? Steam, or something else?
As mentioned, Umineko was written after Higurashi and has some references to it. Those references never drive its plot, but—for reasons impossible to get into without discussing the content of the games themselves—they do enrich its themes*. Both games are well worth experiencing and I wouldn't put either over the other. (Higurashi is a bit uneven, yes, but it also has a better-edited translation; overall, it's a wash.) Don't force yourself to play through Higurashi if you're only interested in Umineko, but if you're roughly equally interested in both, Higurashi is definitely the place to start.

Gaius and fez_machine mentioned the 07th Mod. To me, it seems like a net negative: the portraits are more technically competent but fail at capturing the essential essence of some of the most important characters**; the backgrounds are less distinctive; and I vastly prefer NVL mode to the mod's ADV (that is, I prefer a full-screen text box to one that occupies a bar at the bottom). That said, I've only seen it through screenshots, and it's a massive improvement over the base game's non-Ryukishi portrait set. All that goes for both Higurashi and Umineko, although Umineko's base non-R portrait set is by far the worse of the two.

*Umineko's commentary on the process of authoring mysteries is more interesting with the author's previous mystery work as context. The recurring question of what a 'fair mystery' looks like is made more concrete by Higurashi's nature as a somewhat unfair, or at least deeply atypical, mystery. And of course, there's the stuff with Bernkastel, Lambdadelta, and Featherine. None of this context is necessary to anyone's enjoyment of of Umineko, but it was something I enjoyed thinking about while playing.

**Battler doesn't look nearly goofy enough, Beatrice has less range, Bernkastel departs less from Rika, and (this one is very minor) Kyrie's messier hair weakens the impression of her being a rigorously disciplined person.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you can still use all the old art with the mod, the main thing you are getting is the voice acting which for sure is a net positive

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Snooze Cruise posted:

you can still use all the old art with the mod, the main thing you are getting is the voice acting which for sure is a net positive
Huh, so you can. That said, going by the help docs, only the old portraits can be used, not the old backgrounds. And there's no option to disable event CGs—'why would you' is a fair question, but the Ryukishi-to-PS3 style shift would be a bit jarring and the Higurashi event CGs are so goofy to me that I think they'd actively ruin the mood. I'm da Joker, baby! I haven't used the patch, though, so if these options actually do exist, that's my mistake.

Also, I'm going to bring up the voice-only patch because I want to complain about it removing the shadow from the ingame font. It's a small change (presumably a regression to a previous version of the game?) but a really, really annoying one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

*Umineko's commentary on the process of authoring mysteries is more interesting with the author's previous mystery work as context.

I don't think this is necessarily true if you're already deep in the genre.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think this is necessarily true if you're already deep in the genre.
I definitely projected my own background a bit: before Higurashi and Umineko, my genre experience was basically nil. However, there are still clear benefits to being familiar with Higurashi in particular. Like I said, Higurashi's own flaws and quirks really resonate with the 'why are mysteries presented and what they should look like' angle.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elephant Parade posted:

Gaius and fez_machine mentioned the 07th Mod. To me, it seems like a net negative: the portraits are more technically competent but fail at capturing the essential essence of some of the most important characters**; the backgrounds are less distinctive; and I vastly prefer NVL mode to the mod's ADV (that is, I prefer a full-screen text box to one that occupies a bar at the bottom). That said, I've only seen it through screenshots, and it's a massive improvement over the base game's non-Ryukishi portrait set. All that goes for both Higurashi and Umineko, although Umineko's base non-R portrait set is by far the worse of the two.

*Umineko's commentary on the process of authoring mysteries is more interesting with the author's previous mystery work as context. The recurring question of what a 'fair mystery' looks like is made more concrete by Higurashi's nature as a somewhat unfair, or at least deeply atypical, mystery. And of course, there's the stuff with Bernkastel, Lambdadelta, and Featherine. None of this context is necessary to anyone's enjoyment of of Umineko, but it was something I enjoyed thinking about while playing.

**Battler doesn't look nearly goofy enough, Beatrice has less range, Bernkastel departs less from Rika, and (this one is very minor) Kyrie's messier hair weakens the impression of her being a rigorously disciplined person.

Yeah, the base Steam portraits are so awful that it causes me actual mental pain knowing that so many people are reading it for the first time that way.

The original portraits are the best (mainly for facial expressions), but in a way that is the most clear only in hindsight, so I don't blame people using the other PS3 sprites (though I think that they should still look up the original ones at some point).

Stefan Prodan posted:

I will just say without getting too spoilery the narrative framing of Umineko makes it hard for me to care about things that happen in what are supposed to be like intense scenes

But I will allow that for instance when I looked over my shoulder at my wife playing stein's gate, knowing where it was going made the beginning parts seem way more tolerable to me even though I remember being a little bored at the time and only getting through it cause I was on a long car ride and just decided to play it and then it got good

So maybe the same thing could happen here I think it's possible that if I knew exactly more of what was going on then maybe those earlier scenes will seem better to me in retrospect

An issue I had when reading Umineko is that I had previously read Higurashi, and the main plot twists in Higurashi are kind of dumb/contrived*, so I didn't know if there'd end up being a dumb explanation for everything in the end with Umineko. Fortunately this isn't the case, so I feel the need to reassure other people of this, because it's a reasonable thing to worry about in any story with strong mystery elements to it.

This kind of applies to all elements of writing. You don't want to waste time seeking some sort of satisfying explanation when one might not even exist. With Umineko specifically, there's a flawed understanding about one particular thing that a lot of readers arrived at, and they weren't willing to think "if this understanding kinda sucks, maybe that's because it's wrong" because, to be honest, most visual novels don't exactly have great plots (and the flawed understanding in question is something that wouldn't be out of place in another visual novel). Umineko in general shows a better understanding of human beings than like 99.9% of other VNs/manga/whatever, so it's understandable that people go in with a perspective that isn't expecting much.

Also, regarding the "events not mattering," there is a continuous narrative built up throughout the story to follow, so it's not just a bunch of separate stories.

* I still liked Higurashi a lot, but the "why" ended up being kind of goofy

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 24, 2022

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Also, regarding the "events not mattering," there is a continuous narrative built up throughout the story to follow, so it's not just a bunch of separate stories.

Okay this is what I was wondering and I would probably be more into it now that I know that's the case, I thought it was literally just like "oh here's a bunch of ways this could have gone" meaning that most of them are NOT the way it went or you never know which it was etc

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
I'm (I think) just about to wrap up Episode 5 of Umineko and I took a look through the achievements, and it looks like there are some missable things and different routes that pop up, based purely on that list.

I have a very dumb brain about achievements and I really don't want to miss anything this playthrough. Without any spoilers, could someone tell me if there is anything actually missable to any real degree, or will I be able to get by just making a good number of save files on episode 8 and looking up a guide after I finish it?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Zvahl posted:

I'm (I think) just about to wrap up Episode 5 of Umineko and I took a look through the achievements, and it looks like there are some missable things and different routes that pop up, based purely on that list.

I have a very dumb brain about achievements and I really don't want to miss anything this playthrough. Without any spoilers, could someone tell me if there is anything actually missable to any real degree, or will I be able to get by just making a good number of save files on episode 8 and looking up a guide after I finish it?
The latter.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
thanks =)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You get a chapter select after you finish also.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lol

loving chaos head, one of the worst visual novels I've ever read

I guess I'd read it again

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember seeing chaos head and the example for it's unique feature was a choice between having the main character's sister get a fanservice scene with him or her vomiting blood and dying before snapping back and neither having happened.

I was incredibly skeptical about steins gate recommendations.

coinbox
Sep 26, 2021

Tired Moritz posted:

waiting for them to port the switch content to pc tho

They've said this isn't going to happen because of licensing issues, repeatedly, which sucks but that's how things go

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If anyone is curious about Chaos;Head, there is a full lp in the Let’s Play forum (and I think LP Archive). It was how I experienced it and found it easier going in smaller chunks.

If you’re bouncing off of the main character being a total poo poo, I do think the payoff at the end is adequate enough to let you look back and look past that and appreciate the more interesting things and ideas presented.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I will counter that in my case I went from thinking C;H was an overall decent psychological thriller that killed any enthusiasm I had for it by the time the final chapter wrapped.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Started playing Hermitage: Strange Case Files. Urban fantasy mystery about a magic bookstore and the people that come to visit it. Its clearly inspired by Persona art and its got a really gritty tone to it. What really makes it work for me as a mystery is that the game isn't interested in getting too bogged down in magical details. The human elements to the mystery is more important than magical mechanics. Who curses someone to have horrific visions and hallucinations, where do monsters come from, and how can people move forward from those incidents of pain. Its kind of a slow burn but once it gets rolling, it gets rolling.

Major spoilers for the end of the first case, the entire emotional climax of the case gutted me in a way I didn't expect. The story revolves around two high school girls suffering from jealously, bullying, and fraught emotional tensions. By all accounts, their friendship should be over by the time the story wraps up. Yet the two of them decide they don't want to stop being friends. Despite all their betrayal and heartbreak and how much WORK it will take to find true peace, they're willing to put in the work because of how much they truly care about each other. Their magical adventure have left them with physical and psychological damage that can never be fixed, but they can at least try to find a future together. Its stunning and the game hammers it home with a truly harrowing climax. If that's the first case, I desperately need to see the other cases as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Night Cascades is out today, as is.. a free prequel VN for Ghostwire Tokyo

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Chaos;Head I thought Chaos;Head was interesting mainly as an inversion of the typical trope where there's mysterious stuff going on but absolutely nobody will tell the protagonist anything until it's far too late, and in C;H it's the opposite where several characters try to share what they know but he's not having it. Unfortunately I can't say I'd want to revisit it because one interesting angle does not a good story make alone.

Glad it did well enough for Steins;Gate and Chaos;Child to get made though, those were worth it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

But what about robotics notes and robotic notes dash, nep nep

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Haven't read them yet so no opinion there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nyoro posted:

But what about robotics notes and robotic notes dash, nep nep
I've watched the R;N anime and am currently reading the VN for it right now in fact and what it tries to do is have a lot of mystery and lore drop into Kai's lap (and only him, he's the one who refuses to tell anyone else anything) and the gimmick there is that he has no interest so he only begrudgingly and ploddingly looks into it. I find it extremely frustrating because R;N has a decently strong stable of supporting characters but the only interesting stuff happens to Kai by himself for the vast majority of the story and he has the dullest possible interactions with it all, there's none of those great group conversations you'd get in something like Steins;Gate in the lab or the like. His complete indifference also serves as what feels like an artificial way to stretch the story out; he'll discover something huge but not bother with following up with it for days/weeks so some non-lore stuff can go down with the club in a way that feels like it really pads it out.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
lol goddamnit I was all set to put Umineko down after e6 so I could get a change of pace with a different game and the ends of these always drag me back in so hard

Episode 6 seems like I'll enjoy it a lot more when I eventually reread this whole thing, the first part of it was a slog but it seemed laden with clues.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
E7 might be the best episode after 5 but that's not going to help you not want to play it :v:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
I keep telling myself I want to play a game that uses a controller since the beginning of February but pretty much since E3 it's been me lying to myself and given that 7 has to be a lot of climax poo poo simply based on where it is physically located in the story I think not wanting to play it has sailed and died on an island.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/03/chaoshead-noah-chaoschild-double-pack-coming-west-on-october-7

lmao

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Theyre actually localizing fuckin' Chaos Head, lmao

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/03/chaoshead-noah-chaoschild-double-pack-coming-west-on-october-7

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Just got to the end of Higurashi chapter one and my mind feels static-y from what I just spent the past 10 days reading. Wonderfully compelling read. I feel like I know too much and too little to form any confident speculations that weren't in the bonus segment at the end, but the fact most of the things I considered were brought up in it tells me I'm either on the right track or just thinking exactly what Ryukishi07 wants me to think to throw me off.

The bonus segment also teased that chapter two will dig more into the town itself which I'm excited about because I'm rather fond of the village mythology. My grandmother is from a remote village in Peru and they had a similar thing a lot of the locals believed in to explain why people suddenly disappeared or were found mysteriously mutilated.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

From what I understand Robotic;Notes heavily connects to Chaos Head, more than Chaos Child.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Yeah, the central events of robotics;notes tie in pretty closely with the reveals from the central mystery of chaos;head

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

it is 2022 and we finally have a release date for Anonymous;Code (07/28, but only a Japanese release for now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYoVyitv6mg

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I’m finishing up a reread on the post-game mode of Raging Loop, and was wondering if there were any other mystery VNs in the same vein of who-done-it on switch that were worth reading next. I have already played Gnosia and before crime/after days, which come to mind as similar in the way I want.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

numerrik posted:

I’m finishing up a reread on the post-game mode of Raging Loop, and was wondering if there were any other mystery VNs in the same vein of who-done-it on switch that were worth reading next. I have already played Gnosia and before crime/after days, which come to mind as similar in the way I want.

AI: The Somnium Files

This is where people recommend you Umineko which is in large part a tribute to classical mysteries/whodunits but you may not be in the mood for an 8-parter

(also the only switch version is JP)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just finished Death Mark and found it to be aggressively mediocre. Should I bother with Spirit Hunter NG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ive heard the sequel is a lot better but someone who's actually played it could probably give a better answer :v: