Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Butz does rulez, in fact

The man named Butz, who rulez, from Lix, kix rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Butz has two good friends named Bals.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Good:
IV
V
VI
VII
IX
X
X-2
XII
XIV:ARR-Endwalker

Mediocre:
I
III SNES
XIII
XV post-DLC

Has Serious Problems:
II
VIII
XIII-2
XV pre-DLC

Bad:
III DS
IV The After Years
XIV 1.0

Unplayed:
XI
Lightning Returns

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I can't rank them because despite owning 8, 9, 10 and 10-2 forever I've never played more than twenty minutes of any of them lol

6 > 7 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 for the classics though

EDIT: lol forgot 5

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 1, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Highly Anticipating:

FF16
Stranger of Paradise

loving Fantastic (FF):

FF14
FF8
FF9
FF10
FF6

Aggressively Okay:

FF15
FF1
FF13

I respect but I don’t like:

FF7

Did not play enough to form a solid opinion:

FF2
FF3
FF4
FF5
FF13-2
FF13 LR
FF11

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

posting to see the last time i posted rankings

edit oh it was some other thread

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

pretty soft girl posted:

It's a true triumph to see that 5 has ascended from "oh its that one we didn't get until the ps1 port and it had a lame story, wheres my brooding protagonist" to "maybe the best jrpg ever, butz rulez"

Both of those things can be true at the same time. FF5 is probably the most mechanically impressive, at least of the first 6 games, but I didn't like the storybook plot and minimal characterization.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

5 could really use a way to see what abilities the jobs get on level up

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Schwartzcough posted:

Who doesn't want to shout their opinions into the void?

Exdeath, probably

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The PS1 port was also nigh unplayable with its load times.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
5's presentation besides, I find it a boring game to play. Yeah there's a lot of rad combinations and things you can do to make it interesting, after you've unlocked everything and did the appropriate amount of grinding, but most of the jobs feel like filler and most play the same. 6 might be less diverse, and then made irrelevant by magic, but nearly every character (job) is different than the others. Stat differences between jobs, yeah sure, but that's not an interesting difference in this game.

Gaius Marius posted:

5 could really use a way to see what abilities the jobs get on level up

Also this. Jobs like hunter are an absolute chore, but they unlock awesome things at the end. Knights are just a chore through and through and don't have a payoff. A product of it's time, to be fair, but now you basically need to go out of game to figure this stuff out, or grind.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

6>5>>7>4>1>9>X-2>10>12>>3>8>2>13(all)>>>Mmos

If you start introducin version differences I'd be here all day.

My appreciation of 5 has only grown over time and if it werent for the "came out when I was 13 bonus" that 6 had that cemented it as my favorite game ever it would probably be my number 1. It's a delightful puzzle box with so many mechanical nooks and crannies and combinatorics to explore that has kept me coming back every year.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Great:

Good:
10-2

Bad:

Haven't played/finished (yet?):
Tactics, 11, 13(-2, LR), 15, 7R

Don't feel like ranking it with the rest but it's very good:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 1, 2022

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Just before and following the Battle of Narshe, I'm really enjoying some of the little dangling plot hooks and bits of foreshadowing for what will happen later:

-Cyan meets a wounded Imperial soldier who doesn't have enough strength to write back to his lover, Lola
-The midwife for Gau's birth straight-up tells the party what went down that day
-After unleashing her esper form, Terra burned down a house in Kohlingen but stopped when she noticed a child watching her

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Great:
9,10, 5, 12

I Like This But Man Is It Flawed:
2, 8, Tactics, Tactics A2, 4 Heroes of Light

Alright:
6, 4, Tactics Advance

i honestly did not bother to ever get further than halfway in all of these:
3 (this is 100% because the first version i played was the DS version and every other version burned me out, but the world map theme is good!), 7, 13

14:

The best FF:
Bravely Default

I think FF5 is brilliant and easily my favourite FF mechanically, but I have little reason to play it when I can just play any of the BD games which iterate on the concept so much better

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bravely Default stands on the shoulders of FF5, so deep down you know what the correct Best Final Fantasy is.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

welcome posted:

FFT > 6 > 10 > 4 > 5 > 7 > 13 > MQ > 1 > 9 > FFTA > 2. Thanks for stopping by.

This is now FFT > 10 > 6 > 4 > 5 > 7 > 13 > 12? > MQ > 1 > 9 > FFTA > 8 > 2. Thanks again.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Excellent: 4,5,10,10-2,14

Good: 1,7,8

Okay: 6,9,11,13

Would not play again: 2,3,12,15, FFT

I don’t like Ivalice don’t @me.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
holy poo poo yes: 3 (2d), 5, T if we're counting it, 11 (75cap)
deece: 1 when i thought anything about it worked, 7r, 10, 14 (2.0+)
the game hit me but the presentation Has Problems: 12, 13
the presentation hit me but the game Has Problems: 2, 3 (DS), 6, 7, 8, 11 (99cap), 15
really excited by this public alpha, the systems fit and the overall story is intriguing, now you just need to put in all the content rather than just having a testing menu with a few placeholder quests, do balance now that you have playtesters, and finish the client, wait what do you mean "it ships next week": 14 (1.x)
ehh: 1 with a full realization of the placebo effect, 4, 9
and shall i rate the mana games too, they're also technically spinoffs: all spinoffs

not entirely a linear list, 2 and to a lesser extent 8 hit so well when they hit and are so susceptible to gimmickry where they don't that i'd probably put them on the higher side of deece now that i know the gimmicks, and 9 in particular just loses out because i already had an ff with all the nostalgic touchstones but released from the chains of early hyperjank and it was 3 without the 30-second battle loads and mandatory THF

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

this is just a list of the games i played, if it isn't on here then i haven't gotten around to it:

formative experience tier:
- VII
- Tactics
- X

multiple replays tier:
- V
- 7R

played and finished tier:
- III DS
- IV
- VI

want to finish tier:
- X-2

DNF tier:
- I
- VIII
- IX
- XII

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At this moment, the final fantasy is either 6PR or Endwalker, depending on eligibility. However, soon it will be Stranger of Paradise. I don't know what the next one to take the title will be.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm not going to lie to you guys, FF14 deserves its own tier apart from the others, because it's not fair to the competition.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That’s why I say FF5 is the best non-FF14 final fantasy.

At some point the amount of expansions in FF14 will surpass that of the mainline Final Fantasy series

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Watching the pretty bad FF5 OVA got me to accept that the name Butz was always intentional based off all the butt jokes in that anime.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

God's taking note of everyone who hasn't played 11

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I got a little FFXI via osmosis because my first girlfriend had a brother who weighed roughly 400 lbs and played it like ten hours a day so I would watch it sometimes

It seemed roughly as bad as any MMO but the little animal guys were cute idk

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

My memory must truly be going. I'm playing the FFIV Pixel Remaster - replaying the game I've easily done the most times - and I forgot what to do in my first trip to the Tower of Babel. I thought I was looking for a way into the crystal chamber. I forgot I was supposed to just leave. Wasted a good 20 minutes running around like an idiot and dodging every fight.

To be fair, I was kinda remembering it correctly. I was just thinking too far.

Game still rules though.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

jokes posted:

That’s why I say FF5 is the best non-FF14 final fantasy.

At some point the amount of expansions in FF14 will surpass that of the mainline Final Fantasy series

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

they recently discussed a 10-year roadmap so yeah probably

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What does it say? Not do what Warcraft did?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HD DAD posted:

That’s what I get for not playing XIV beyond ARR. :(

I haven't had time to play Endwalker yet but Shadowbringers i has some of the best FF story writing in the entire series.

Looking forward to the reveal that the Marsh Cave is based on the Tomb of Horrors as an homage to the series' D&D roots.. :supaburn:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

III defintely deserves another look-in, because the PR soundtrack is phenomenal, and they scrubbed out all the major annoying parts (saving, job-changing)

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Angry Jack’s Wild Ride>Tactics>6>7>5>12>10>1>9>4>8>13>2>3

Tactics has been my favorite FF game for years, but CHAOS might be good!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

III defintely deserves another look-in, because the PR soundtrack is phenomenal, and they scrubbed out all the major annoying parts (saving, job-changing)

Yeah, 3 PR is drat good on its own. The job system may be much simpler than FF5, but it works right out of the box with no grinding. Also dragoons do x2 damage to dragons like they should and that's just awesome.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What does it say? Not do what Warcraft did?

IIRC a lot of it was concerned with system upgrades etc. to ensure smooth transitions to the PS6 or whatever, not a ton of actual content but honestly that well is incredibly deep with all the worldbuilding they did from 1.0 to 6.0

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jack isn't Garland from FF1. He's actually Gilgamesh.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IIRC a lot of it was concerned with system upgrades etc. to ensure smooth transitions to the PS6 or whatever, not a ton of actual content but honestly that well is incredibly deep with all the worldbuilding they did from 1.0 to 6.0
that one cutscene at the end of 6.0 that was just like "hey have you been here? no how about here? here? here?" and dropped like four expansions worth of locations was a pretty clear hint that they have Lots Of Plans

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

that one cutscene at the end of 6.0 that was just like "hey have you been here? no how about here? here? here?" and dropped like four expansions worth of locations was a pretty clear hint that they have Lots Of Plans

yeah it fuckin owns I'm very excited

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

he should have said "have you ever experienced a moogle kupo d'etat: evil in small doses?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mustached Demon posted:

Jack isn't Garland from FF1. He's actually Gilgamesh.

I am Gilgamesh