Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kesper North posted:

This is me being incredibly angry that the ships in Destiny 2 are all absolute trash by comparison to this day, with very few exceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I saw this cool Lego moc spaceship

https://flic.kr/ps/3mjHc2

I'd like to request the coolest asymmetrical ships yall got

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You know what I miss? The 80's "hulk" style spaceship

Always just a beefy slab with some windows poking out of it like frog's eyes. Always seemingly assembled from scrap metal using 40's-level riveting and welding, most of the times it is observed this ship has been hosed up beyond belief by calamity.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Recently I watched through a show called The Freemaker Adventures. Basically it's a Lego Star Wars show but centered around its own little original cast of characters. The central premise is that they're a freelance salvage/repair team, and throughout the show they have to keep repairing ships or cobbling together parts to make new ships, which is extremely my jam. The show falls into a lot of pitfalls that other EU stuff does, but they do keep returning to that central theme of salvage and repair throughout the show, and it's a pretty fun show overall.

The main ship throughout the show is the Star Scavenger. It's an interesting design. A CT-900 Freighter (not light, just a freighter) that the Freemaker family uses to go around the galaxy to find more salvage. It's got a funky hammerhead front with those outboard two turrets that extend out to have an angle behind the cargo compartment, and that scoop that allows them to make quick grabs. The head actually can separate from the cargo compartment to form its own independent ship if you don't wanna haul stuff, which I guess is situationally useful.

https://i.imgur.com/HtZ4r7G.mp4

It's pretty hard to find good shots of the in-show model, and the official kit doesn't really do the show's design much justice. I guess it makes sense. It'd be a pretty big model if they did it to the same scale. It makes sense to skimp on the interior, since that doesn't usually matter much for a toy, but it's a bit of a shame how the show did clearly design the pieces it was meant to use but couldn't use them. The mini-scavenger would've been more doable, but it's even further off-model. At least they managed to do the scoop.

Some guy made a model from scratch of his own non-lego impression of the ship.

In a little bit of a spoiler, the second season has the Freemakers join up with the Rebel Alliance as fulltime mechanics, and the little kid Freemaker ends up as apprentice to the shipbuilder Quarrie who made the B-Wing in Rebels. Together they build the Arrowhead, a custom starfighter with a super-strong shield powered by a massive crystal and can be focused around an extendable blade that can cut through other ships.

Since it's a smaller ship that in the show itself just has narrow single-file seating, the kit does a better job of staying accurate to the show.

Also a non-lego conception of it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Can the Arrowhead blow up suns, too?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've been having some fun this morning loving around with a new alt in STO.

Say what you will about Voyager as a show, the Intrepid is one of my all-time favorite Star Trek designs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like the Intrepid shape but the "skin" is pretty ugly. All gray and warty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't like all the surface detailing and in-cuts (which are there mainly so they can have sets where the windows don't have heavy angles) but the ship is much less grey than most star trek ships, it's light blue. How much of that you saw depended on what the people in color processing were feeling like that day (after all, the Enterprise-D model was a pale blue as well and they just desaturated that totally out 100% of the time) but the blue shone through much more than other shows.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 27, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My mental image might be slightly tainted by the micro machine, it was uniquely disgusting looking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

My mental image might be slightly tainted by the micro machine, it was uniquely disgusting looking.

Oh ew, did they carve the deflector grid into it? That's meant to be, like, barely visible detailing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's the ochre goblin of my youth. Makes the show version look especially graceful by comparison

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I think Voyager is hideous. It looks front heavy and its tiny nacelles are way too stubby.

The concept is way better for me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That looks like it already started going to warp

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The silly requirement to have the nacelles move also hurts the final version

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tsaedje posted:

The silly requirement to have the nacelles move also hurts the final version

They move in STO, too! It gets more use in that game, the nacelles move into warp position when traveling through sector space and drop down when in-system for impulse.

The_Doctor posted:

I think Voyager is hideous. It looks front heavy and its tiny nacelles are way too stubby.

The concept is way better for me.

STO has a variant based on that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The concept version would've had them move, but it would've been horizontally, the pylons would've slid in and out slightly. (Think the Galactica launch bays)

I wonder what prompted the change, the speedboat version had been basically approved and everyone all the way up to and including the show's producers had been signing off on the designs, it must've been a directive from the studio when they tried to show them new ship. It was really late in the process.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 27, 2022

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Voyager definitely had the whole "definitely not the loving best ship in the fleet" thing going for it with its design, which I think was key.

Because next to the Galaxy glass that Intrepid design always looks like a joke.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The newest Trek has the Protostar, which is basically a baby version of the Voyager.

It has a fancy superspeed drive though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jeeves posted:

Voyager definitely had the whole "definitely not the loving best ship in the fleet" thing going for it with its design, which I think was key.

Because next to the Galaxy glass that Intrepid design always looks like a joke.

Ehhhh, it was still supposed to have the latest cutting-edge technology. They made a big deal about the top speed and the ~~*~bioneural gelpacks~*~~.

That trowel-head shape at the front got around, though. Voyager, Prometheus, hell even seaQuest went in on it:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gotta go fast knife ships was like the worst thing to happen to Trek. Eaves’ Sovereign design for First Contact kind of cemented it, but Voyager was definitely the canary in the coal mine.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That trowel-head shape at the front got around, though. Voyager, Prometheus, hell even seaQuest went in on it:

SeaQuest was obviously meant to resemble a squid, I don't think they're drawing on Voyager influences.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also seaQuest predates Voyager.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jeeves posted:

Gotta go fast knife ships was like the worst thing to happen to Trek. Eaves’ Sovereign design for First Contact kind of cemented it, but Voyager was definitely the canary in the coal mine.

The Intrepid is a better Defiant than the Defiant in my book. It's still recognizably the Starfleet aesthetic and layout, pared down and streamlined to a minimum. The Intrepid class to me screams a Starfleet destroyer or frigate, go fast and heavily armed.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cythereal posted:

The Intrepid is a better Defiant than the Defiant in my book. It's still recognizably the Starfleet aesthetic and layout, pared down and streamlined to a minimum. The Intrepid class to me screams a Starfleet destroyer or frigate, go fast and heavily armed.

I think the whole point of the Defiant was that it was Stafleet trying something completely new, so it shouldn’t look like their standard designs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idea of making Trek ships pointy is a pretty obvious one, since the original Enterprise design was just this really bizarre thing that doesn't really seem to draw influence from anything real. The saucer is the only thing that is really drawing from preconceptions of spacecraft. The engines are sort of like rockets, except blunt, and there's two of them on these weird spars connecting to a separate main body that either has a jet intake or a satellite dish on the front. It's crazy.

It makes a lot of basic sense to make the ships pointy, since rockets are pointy, aircraft are pointy, the longest-used real-world spacecraft was pointy, and at this point in history, so much in our world has been designed to be streamlined for aerodynamics that it just seems pretty straightforward to apply those principles when designing newer Trek ships. It may not be in the spirit of the original ship design, but it does make sense.

Bucnasti posted:

I think the whole point of the Defiant was that it was Stafleet trying something completely new, so it shouldn’t look like their standard designs.

I think it does look like their other designs, it's just that what it most looks like is the Danube Runabout, a ship that doesn't show up a lot in the rest of Trek, but it was already being extensively used in DS9. It's just that the ship was bulked out to have some of the saucer geometry of standard Trek ships.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just don't look at Discovery, which decided that actually Starfleet has always had Defiant style ships.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

It makes a lot of basic sense to make the ships pointy, since rockets are pointy, aircraft are pointy, the longest-used real-world spacecraft was pointy, and at this point in history, so much in our world has been designed to be streamlined for aerodynamics that it just seems pretty straightforward to apply those principles when designing newer Trek ships. It may not be in the spirit of the original ship design

Well, yeah, there was a very deliberate mandate for the original design of 'don't make it look like real-world streamlined rocket ships, because it's the product of far more advanced technology that's nothing like that.' They even added the balls on the back of the engines after the pilot episode to make them look less like rockets, so you wouldn't mistake it for that.

It's a bit weird they eventually went backwards from that to 'make it look swooshier like it flies faster'. (To the point where they made the new retconned design of the TOS Enterprise flatter in Discovery, with less decks in the neck, so it would look more streamlined. But that's me harping on stuff I've said before.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 28, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Which I liked. Aerodynamics were us following constraints and rules or even just convention. We warp space to our whims now.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Cythereal posted:

Just don't look at Discovery, which decided that actually Starfleet has always had Defiant style ships.
ever if it all possible

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Are trek ships even capable of entering an atmosphere?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Voyager can land, and did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBhLOrzFs4g

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some are, some aren't. Voyager and other smaller ships can land, and the Enterprise can water-land in the reboots. (And for big ships saucers are designed to be able to detach and emergency land too.) Almost all of them can do some level of atmospheric operation though.

You don't need to be aerodynamic if you've got enough thrust and don't need to go fast enough that drag is a problem, though. If you can put out 1G of acceleration upwards and have fine enough attitude control you can just hover downwards like a very graceful brick.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 1, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Now I wanna see a Borg cube land and just spread Borg creep

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brawnfire posted:

Now I wanna see a Borg cube land and just spread Borg creep

That's not great for the property values

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

NIMBY: Not Interested in Meeting Borg, Y'all

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/BrT5C8Z.mp4

(Picard. Was a (mostly) dead cube and didn't creep though, the space orchids lowered it to the surface before it crashed)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 1, 2022

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Are trek ships even capable of entering an atmosphere?

Yes!

You can even see two of the landing gear covers on the underside of TOS Enterprise saucer, the neck itself become the third "leg".

You'll need a Starbase to reattach the Engineering section though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Star Trek Online further posits that all ships are capable of operating in the upper atmospheres of planets, courtesy of the dyson sphere zones where you have fleet battles taking place in the upper atmosphere among colossal megastructures dotting the dyson sphere's inner surface.

All ships suffer a speed and turning radius loss due to atmospheric friction, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Buncha star trek ships have operated within the corona of stars and deep into the thicker gas layers of gas giants: if their shields can handle that, and their engines can handle the aerodynamic pressures, they can handle the comparatively minor superheating of atmospheric re-entry and aerodynamic pressures of the generally much thinner atmospheres of rocky planets, irrespective of aerodynamic shape etc.

The real reason ships in Star Trek can or can't operate in atmosphere is to accommodate whatever story was being told at that moment. Any ship can suddenly do fine in atmosphere if that week's episode/that movie demands it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

It would make sense if atmospheric limitations for ST ships were due to subspace/warp field interactions with planetary atmospheres and surfaces rather than a limitation in the ship's capabilities. I can't imagine something that distorts spacetime to go fast would do anything nice to a planet.