Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

he's a new hero, tons of people play him for fun/without a clue, which drives down his winrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That is probably part of it, but compared to Marci's launch...?

He feels super super strong early, like his W does so much damage. But he doesn't seem to scale well later on, in my experience. But I could be building him poorly

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.dota2.com/patches/7.31b

No PB nerfs :smugdog: :v:

Flesh Heap was made better but I'm still not convinced it's better than ye olde Heap

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Didn't Earth Spirit have a poo poo winrate when he came out despite being good? Maybe it was Ember.

Really wish they'd add that swole element from the Artifact art. They should've at least added a hero or two from there what a bizarre choice not to even though the game died.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea but ES has a bit of a higher skill requirement to use him effectively. PB's skills are all pretty "easy" to use.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Naga feels good to play once again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mortimer Knag posted:

Naga feels good to play once again

Never

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sab669 posted:

https://www.dota2.com/patches/7.31b

No PB nerfs :smugdog: :v:

Flesh Heap was made better but I'm still not convinced it's better than ye olde Heap

i'm pretty sure flesh heap is even worse now because the functional change on the talent means it went from 3.5 to 3.2 strength per stack

the damage block is still completely loving useless against anything other than continuous DOTs and it isn't better against those because it already pretty much reduced those to 0

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm really grateful to not have to live in fear of the five null+arcane blink storm zip.

Also I played against an Underlord that used his Fiends Gate really aggressively and it really changed my mind on the capabilities of that ult and the aghs upgrade. It's pretty strong!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The thing with Talisman Spam Storm is that like... yea he can blitz your fountain and cook your whole team... But in regular fights he doesn't do dick because he has no actual items.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Sab669 posted:

The thing with Talisman Spam Storm is that like... yea he can blitz your fountain and cook your whole team... But in regular fights he doesn't do dick because he has no actual items.

Yeah and we just got rid of the hero who can potentially teamwipe you but not do poo poo otherwise, so why add one back in?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Geight posted:

Yeah and we just got rid of the hero who can potentially teamwipe you but not do poo poo otherwise, so why add one back in?

this may surprise you but boiling down every hero into a homogenous beige gruel isn't beneficial for the game even if your personal preferred breakfast makes oliver twist look like charlie and the chocolate factory

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

this may surprise you but boiling down every hero into a homogenous beige gruel isn't beneficial for the game even if your personal preferred breakfast makes oliver twist look like charlie and the chocolate factory

I don't think removing an apparent mechanical oversight that was in for less than a week is a direct attack on the hero's identity, though. Now folks can actually play Storm Spirit instead of Funny Zip Man.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Geight posted:

I don't think removing an apparent mechanical oversight that was in for less than a week is a direct attack on the hero's identity, though. Now folks can actually play Storm Spirit instead of Funny Zip Man.

funny zip man is the hero's identity and with bloodstone in the trashcan the stacking mana reduction was the only thing that let it actually continue existing. in its absence, storm spirit is now closer to the Archetypal Mid Hero, one of the 5 ingredients in the beige gruel that dota 2 approaches

yet another candy dinosaur sinks beneath the tepid sea of oatmeal, never to resurface

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I think it'll turn out just fine.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Got an issue Laning against this fat new hero, literally clicking on him he blocks my view of the creep I'm last hitting, what to do here?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Kill the fat new hero

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geight posted:

I'm really grateful to not have to live in fear of the five null+arcane blink storm zip.

Also I played against an Underlord that used his Fiends Gate really aggressively and it really changed my mind on the capabilities of that ult and the aghs upgrade. It's pretty strong!

It's hilarious that the other team can use it, but appropriately enough it's 1000x better for sieges and ganks even if it's 1000x worse for daring escapes.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Sniper is so loving easy to play oh my god why don’t I just play him all the time and win every single game

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Shrapnel is pretty loving stupid

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
He’s so boring but I have like a 70% win rate and he takes no effort. Puck is way more fun but I have to work a lot harder and I can’t just like push down a lane when my team is doing gently caress all in the jungle.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When ember first came out I went 13-0 with him and goons in the thread were saying he was the worst hero in the game.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dota heroes are cool but theyre no deadwood. gently caress sakes just port that mf over

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Nanomashoes posted:

When ember first came out I went 13-0 with him and goons in the thread were saying he was the worst hero in the game.

*posts gif of using his spells in the worst possible manner* how can this hero be good?????????

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
some goon was convinced pudge hard counters viper in lane and for proof they posted a clip of them dying in lane to pudge as viper

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

god I love primal beast

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just won a game with him, my fourth game so far as I've been playing ER this entire week.

Even the games I lose I still have fun. We just danced around the enemy Axe and Lion and I'm just body slamming in and grabbing dudes in my mouth. A++ honestly.

How do you like to build / play him?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Under lord ult rework is low key the best part of this patch. It has so much amazing utility for ganks fighting and pushing, it’s like you’re wisp but not just a banana rider.

First game playing it I threw it down right next to our fountain as soon as I hit 6 and the enemy safe lane both immediately channeled through and fed. GOTY.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I just won a game with him, my fourth game so far as I've been playing ER this entire week.

Even the games I lose I still have fun. We just danced around the enemy Axe and Lion and I'm just body slamming in and grabbing dudes in my mouth. A++ honestly.

I've been trying all sorts of different things with him in both turbo and all pick, and everything seems to work pretty well. BKB is usually pretty important but other then that, greaves, travels, phase or boots of bearing all work great on him. Auras, a blink, shard, atos, shivas, kaya and yasha, blademail. You can just build whatever and you're going to have fun with him.

You can do whatever with skills too. Onslaught and trample is a strong nuke early, like if you were playing him as a support or roamer. Uproar and trample can keep you in lane if you're farming. Playing around with atos and shard is fun, glimmercape and shadowblade are really funny.

Also when using onslaught pressing your stop or hold key can end the charge channeling almost immediately after casting so you can do a point blank charge for the full damage and stun still. You can also turn and even 'drift' while charging.

I'd like to hear any more tips or anything anyone else has too though.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah those days were fun, the thread with Ember's release had so much hate for him that people were saying picking him should be considered griefing because he was so bad it was a guaranteed loss. Surely it was the hero that was bad and not that they simply sucked playing him, no, anyone saying anything else simply doesn't understand the game!

Once he was added to captain's mode and they saw the pros dominate, people shut up about it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

2 bracers phase wand eternal shroud almost every game. Trample does a ton of damage, you have very low cooldowns and should never stop fighting. get Vanguard if they've got stuff it'd be useful against. Only get BKB if they have a ton of stuns/silences/slows, you're extremely durable and want to attract hits. Uproar being free is insane so you almost always win trades in lane.

Timbersaw is your worst enemy

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been playing him as a 4, Mana Boots into Aether / Blink. I'll swap out which item I get second depending on if I look down and say, "oh look at that, I've got enough for blink / almost have enough". Prefer the Mana Regen to HP Regen of a Null Talisman than Bracer, but I haven't played too many games really fish out what feels best to me.

The games I do go 3 I don't feel nearly as effective (obviously building more traditional 3-ish items)

Undying is also a big rear end in a top hat, haven't played against a Timbersaw yet I don't think.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's really good at 2, 3 and 4 but you usually need to be flexible in your build. You want to focus on trample damage and survivability, so stuff like sange and kaya, boots of bearing, heart and overwhelming blink are all good. Ifyou're building him with auras and the like he won't do much at all.

right click is a funny gimmick but very much that, a gimmick.

You can usually kill people at 2 if they dont have a really good stun or escape.

If you need armor cguard is ok or shivas, lotus if there's specific stuff it's good with but don't like him being a strength hero with a lot of right click damage trick you into getting AC unless its good for the rest of your team. If you're ahead early, grab a soul ring but pass on it otherwise since you dont have any innate sustain.

Talent wise I usually go MR, Uproar armor, Trample damage then spell lifesteal. Dispel is nice in theory, but in practice if there'sa lot of slows you'll want bearing and you can't roar off silences anyways.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 9, 2022

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Can't tell if I like new techies but I've won 3 in a row as him at pos 4. Kinda plays similar to lina in lane, has a skillshot (sticky bomb) that is easy to land vs melee guys when they try and last hit, and hitting them with the q sets them up for an easy blast off. Still not sure if I'm supposed to hide my mines, I typically just save them for a follow up after blasting in or leaving them behind to discourage a chase if we disengage

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sad old techies died for new techies, but new techies is definitely fun. The cooldown on sticky bomb is ridiculously short and having a decent autoattack means you can basically zone out any melee hero.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is new techies a viable mid? Love running dumb poo poo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm really really bad mid but I've been playing it more recently. Only a few Tinker games under my belt, but I got poo poo on by a Techies recently in one. If he hit me with Sticky Bomb, follow up with Blast Off! and a right click or two and I'd dead.

He got me with that like twice before 6 and just took a commanding lead from there.

If you're good at manipulating creep equilibrium and all the modern Warding fuckery in mid lane a better player probably would've fared much better than I did. Or of course just play a hero with better attack / cast range and stay out of Sticky Bomb range.

So he seems like he might be situational but viable? If not just straight up viable?

(No I'm really not a Tinker picker, but all my other usual mids were banned/picked)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

more or less
his right click is okay now, sticky bomb can wear down your opponent in lane pretty well, sticky bomb into blast-off into a red mine is a pretty good kill-combo

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stan Taylor posted:

Very much so. Take a point in blast off early and you can secure ranged creeps pretty safely. You can be extremely aggressive in roaming since sticky bomb is such a good slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Sick. I need to branch out my hero pool. Thinking about going with techies and maybe rubick mid but the timings on rubick seem weird and I’m pretty trash at last hitting