Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Torrannor posted:

How much financial aid did Ukraine actually get from the West? I've seen several reports of "X country will support Ukraine with xxx million dollars" as headlines, only for the full text to read "Y country will support Ukraine with xxx millions dollars in military equipment". If all they get is military hardware, I wonder how Ukraine can afford to drastically raise their soldier's wages (I think ten times as before the war started), while also bribing Russian troops?

Seize the Russian gold reserves in a daring raid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If the two options before me are "go in to debt" or "foreign invaders begin purging undesirables when they decapitate the government" that's a pretty easy choice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure, no idea how practical or effective it would be. Would assume soldiers without lots of family in Russia would be the primary audience?

My concern would be Putin going North Korea on the families of those who did defect if they had some way of finding out.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Melissa EddyReporting from Berlin
Nord Stream AG, the Swiss-based company that owns the $11-billion natural gas pipeline linking Russia directly to Germany is insolvent and let all 106 of its employees go, an official in Switzerland said Tuesday. “We were informed today that the company cannot continue,” Silvia Thalmann-Gut, a councilor responsible for the economy in Zug, Switzerland, told the Swiss broadcaster SFR. “It has filed for bankruptcy."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Torrannor posted:

How much financial aid did Ukraine actually get from the West? I've seen several reports of "X country will support Ukraine with xxx million dollars" as headlines, only for the full text to read "Y country will support Ukraine with xxx millions dollars in military equipment". If all they get is military hardware, I wonder how Ukraine can afford to drastically raise their soldier's wages (I think ten times as before the war started), while also bribing Russian troops?

At the very least they can sell burned out tank hulks. Gotta be some amount of steel and copper in those things.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

My concern would be Putin going North Korea on the families of those who did defect if they had some way of finding out.

Given the terrible level of organization they've show, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even have all their conscript's names and home addresses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Take this with a shovel of salt, but...

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1498751493863878666?s=21

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Add a GI Bill so they settle in after the war and it's essentially just a stimulus and immigration package that will explode in a post war economy. They're young, speak the same language already, and theoretically (lol) have some skills already

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

but then all those Russians pissed about western WWII movies not having Russians could have taken part in the Normandy landings!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1498739288137252864

Good riddance

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Other goons who can speak the language are disputing this, deleting the link until there's confirmation.

In the meantime, someone had fun with the TOS-1 page on wikipedia.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 1, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Whoops.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
CSPAM is salivating over the thought of the donation thread's Snake Island gang tag being changed to something anti-Ukrainian "when" Kyiv falls. If you haven't donated yet (or just haven't posted your donations), know that your donation will come with the extra bonus of inciting impotent tankie rage!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

CSPAM is salivating over the thought of the donation thread's Snake Island gang tag being changed to something anti-Ukrainian "when" Kyiv falls. If you haven't donated yet (or just haven't posted your donations), know that your donation will come with the extra bonus of inciting impotent tankie rage!

loving christ, CSPAM.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-01-22/h_036bbad1cde5541d66f306a36fceaf54

Ukraine joining the EU would be better than any scenario I thought was possible a couple weeks ago. It didn’t seem like they had any options besides either getting colonized by Russia again or going into further into the US-NATO-IMF that would just want to do more “liberalization.” While the EU was pretty lovely to Greece and austerity and stuff it’s such a better option than the type of policies IMF loans come with or with Putin’s Russia something like holodomor 2.0 or at best Russofication. The EU is the only major player in the region I can see actually investing in making a stable Ukraine.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

loving christ, CSPAM.

It really is incredible how common the "stop throwing away your lives in a doomed battle" take is in a subforum that jerks off about the defense of Stalingrad as much as that one does

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-01-22/h_036bbad1cde5541d66f306a36fceaf54

Ukraine joining the EU would be better than any scenario I thought was possible a couple weeks ago. It didn’t seem like they had any options besides either getting colonized by Russia again or going into further into the US-NATO-IMF that would just want to do more “liberalization.” While the EU was pretty lovely to Greece and austerity and stuff it’s such a better option than the type of policies IMF loans come with or with Putin’s Russia something like holodomor 2.0 or at best Russofication. The EU is the only major player in the region I can see actually investing in making a stable Ukraine.

UKRentry :v:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

EU adding Ukraine while telling the UK to keep getting hosed would be :discourse:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Coincidence?

https://twitter.com/WillResistAdmin/status/1498755836545355778?t=qDDJQCUo8nUTv0IRP7FmSA&s=19

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

They're going to have to be careful to prevent a brain drain after the war. Other EU countries like Bulgaria have seen a mass exodus of their educated and skilled workers to other parts of the EU. Odessa (one of their major commercial and technology centers) has been spared the worst of it so far, but Kharkiv and Kyiv were crucial to the economy and will probably be rubble when it's all over.

On the flip side it's been a major benefit to other places like Romania and Poland, which have a low cost of living and relatively high quality of life.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 1, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol that carriage contract is 90% of OANN's revenue, :fuckoff:

Hopefully this will give some momentum for CBS to drop them from pluto.tv

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 1, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Ukraine has lot of potential growth sectors, for instance in aerospace and precision industries, something that Greece has not(and paid dearly for it). There is a shitton of ESA projects that have parts designed and/or machined in Ukraine.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

This just doesn't make much sense. AT&T spent so much money propping that shitshow of a network up during the election. Now they're axing it from their satellite tv company.

gently caress AT&T, Directv and OANN, but this all smells odd.

Maybe Herring's last check of rubles bounced.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This just doesn't make much sense. AT&T spent so much money propping that shitshow of a network up during the election. Now they're axing it from their satellite tv company.

gently caress AT&T, Directv and OANN, but this all smells odd.

Maybe Herring's last check of rubles bounced.

Hmm why would at&t have so much Russian interest?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

do you have a link that people salivating over changing the gang-tag

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is the same subforum that saw the Ukrainian dude hamming it up in a twitter video directed at Russian soldiers about how hosed they were not as someone pumped up about defending his family / country from literal invaders but as a psychopath finally with the leash off.

shame on an IGA posted:

It really is incredible how common the "stop throwing away your lives in a doomed battle" take is in a subforum that jerks off about the defense of Stalingrad as much as that one does

Yup. Apparently the best thing to do is to just roll over and accept what the larger belligerent demands. It's the kindest, smartest course of action to take.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 1, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Just remember that these 8 EU member state heads represent the Eastern European states that presumably view Ukraine becoming part of the EU in the most positive light. France and Germany were the main opposition to Ukraine joining NATO, and both could have similar reservations about Ukrainian EU membership. But with the (German) EU Commission president being vaguely in favor of EU membership for Ukraine, I guess it's suddenly a real possibility. Which I wouldn't have thought possible just a week ago.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just lmao if Russia creates a legitimate United Europe

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://support.google.com/maps/thread/152809911/terrorists-use-google-maps-tags-to-adjust-the%20fires-please-help

Got this from a friend, can anyone verify this is legit?

Russian saboteurs use google maps "places" to target installations in cities for artillery. The original request is 6 hours old, I can't believe opening a support request is the fastest way to get google to act.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://support.google.com/maps/thread/152809911/terrorists-use-google-maps-tags-to-adjust-the%20fires-please-help

Russian saboteurs use google maps "places" to target installations in cities for artillery. The original request is 6 hours old, I can't believe opening a support request is the fastest way to get google to act.

I saw somewhere that google had already wiped some locations. Maybe I misread.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's Google, mankind will have been removed from the planet before they even acknowledge that message. Twitter shaming is more effective than posting in their support boards.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

citybeatnik posted:

This is the same subforum that saw the Ukrainian dude hamming it up in a twitter video directed at Russian soldiers about how hosed they were not as someone pumped up about defending his family / country from literal invaders but as a psychopath finally with the leash off.

:lmao: that video was just your standard motivated infantryman. So you're both right!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
To lighten the mood, here is some cheerful footage from the frontlines

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1498771940324122624

Countdown to GMod remakes appearing on YouTube

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Shovel of salt, but...

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1498749687641382915

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They gonna gulag an entire generation of kids returning from captivity.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Crab Dad posted:

They gonna gulag an entire generation of kids returning from captivity.

Ukraine could do a publicity stunt and give them ukraine passports but the fifth column risk would be substantial

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Ukraine could do a publicity stunt and give them ukraine passports but the fifth column risk would be substantial

I mean we're talking about a few thousand people in a country of 40 million.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Hannibal Rex posted:

No idea if it's legit, Google did turn off the live traffic filter in Ukraine though. On the night of the invasion one of the earliest strong OSINT indicators of it kicking off was google maps showing a traffic jam on the Ukraine-Belarus border... at like 3 am in the morning.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Germany spending 100 billion on military :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

bees everywhere posted:

:lmao: that video was just your standard motivated infantryman. So you're both right!

I think there's a fair bit of daylight between whatever the Ukrainian equivalent of "oorah!" might be verses panicked pearl-clutching about how some dude is now out there collecting ears. Not sure why you'd pick something that'll just decay when there's loving tanks lying around for trophy takers.