Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Man Plan Canal posted:

You don't need to use the passive voice to describe an irredentist dictator choosing to invade a country in an illegal war of aggression. You aren't a New York Times headline writer.

Where were you 7-8 years ago when this "illegal war" started? You're a bit late to the game to start playing the role of white knight. You and anyone else that is as passionate as yourself are just a flight and taxi ride away from a victory. A victory against an irredentist dictator would look good on your resume. Next to your many other achievements. Meanwhile, I'll put in more effort towards that Pulitzer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lol that Russia is somehow the one getting its teeth kicked in by cyber weapons

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

KitConstantine posted:

I've posted this article multiple times at this point, but it seems like some of you are new to this conversation. Russian News sites published an article unironically praising Putin for being the one to resolve "The Ukrainian Question". It was commented on at the time, and again yesterday. The below Twitter thread is out of date because the article is actually live on The Sputnik website right now.

Here's the link: https://uz.sputniknews.ru/20220226/nastuplenie-rossii-i-novogo-mira-22994815.html

Splitting hairs about whether the genocide is "racial" or "cultural" is reprehensible when people are being slaughtered in the streets by cluster bombs and missiles as we speak

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498025819054264328?t=690xCifPHSNWR8LJFQ_8JQ&s=19

In summary, you receive no points and may God have mercy on your soul

Oh man I never read that article. That's really unsettling, yeah Ukrainians are hosed if he wins.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

OK but what is the plan? What is the good outcome here? is Ukraine just going to start winning, is the U.S. or NATO going to come in guns blazing and rescue everyone? Should Ukrainian's just fight and die to the last?

The goal is a peace agreement that is fine for Ukraine. In order to get such a peace agreement they do not need to kill every Russian soldier, it's sufficient to make the war too expensive for Russia to continue. Both the military aid and the sanctions are making such a peace agreement more likely.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

It's kind of bad, but that's just the web frontend, not the actual bank.

Getting all that stuff leaked, especially TLS keys, is still pretty humliating.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

What could they do with it? Most code I know is VBA

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

We are less than one week into the war.

Russian is under extraordinary economic pressure -- their ability to literally pay and supply their soldiers is at risk. They need to finish invading the second largest country in Europe, population 44 million, before their ability to wage war becomes severely constrained. Meanwhile, Ukraine borders several friendly countries and is receiving free ammo and weapons truckload after truckload. Russia has made significant progress towards this task but you can look at any map and see that they have a long way to go.

Assuming Russia is able to win the conventional phase, they need to occupy it and snuff out partisans who are armed with weapons of unprecedented power and ease-of-use compared to weaponry supplied to any insurgency in history, i.e. fire and forget ATGMs. They will need to maintain this occupation of 44 million people across a nation bigger than France while their economy is collapsing.

I honestly do not understand people who think the war has basically been decided when we're one week in.

Another interesting thing about this is that I think a Russian loss (official or not) is going to make future peer wars less likely. Unless it comes out that the Russian army was just a paper tiger this whole time, the case study shows that the cost of invading anything approaching a peer nation is ludicrously high.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

Oh man I never read that article. That's really unsettling, yeah Ukrainians are hosed if he wins.

Correct. Which is why I find it loving galling to watch posters argue that the Ukrainian people should have just rolled over and waited for the knives to come. Meanwhile things like this are happening right loving now

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498772404843298817?t=WTiCNUhuKOdifdOrMEO_QA&s=19

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I imagine Russian institutions have been living under a false sense of security given that the majority of cyberattacks intentionally avoid targeting them. They must be at least as vulnerable as the west, probably more so. We'll see a lot more of this now I think.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DaysBefore posted:

Yes, and Ukrainians know this, and that's why huge numbers are preparing to defend Kyiv and Kharkhiv, and/or become partisans if the country is occupied.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

api/cli/sdk backend leak is not that rosy, meaning that either they have to keep running a leaked backend in a hacker rich enviroment or they need to rework it(and without access to skilled third party coders since nobody worth their salt is going to want rubles today).

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

The goal is a peace agreement that is fine for Ukraine. In order to get such a peace agreement they do not need to kill every Russian soldier, it's sufficient to make the war too expensive for Russia to continue. Both the military aid and the sanctions are making such a peace agreement more likely.

Yes thats what a peace talk is. That's what posters are hoping for. Why is this so controversial?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Chalks posted:

I imagine Russian institutions have been living under a false sense of security given that the majority of cyberattacks intentionally avoid targeting them. They must be at least as vulnerable as the west, probably more so. We'll see a lot more of this now I think.

It's also not that great in that it will be characterized as yet another Western provocation.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

It looks like they got hold of the Docker images. At the absolute worse case scenario, this basically means that they effectively have the code to the internal workings of the bank, but that shouldn't (normally) include any data. It does look like they have some private keys baked into the images which is pretty lazy and bad, so lol on that point at least.

Unless there's some zero-day exploits that shakes out of analysing the images (which is far from unlikely), this just means that the bank will have to go offline for a few days as they revoke and rebuild all their certificates.

A huge egg-on-face situation, but certainly not as catastrophic as a "full breach", unless there is more than is being displayed in those tweets.

edit Elaborating a bit: That portainer.io screenshot strongly indicates that whoever took those screenshot is running a "clone" of the bank off of the downloaded images. There's absolutely 0 chance that the bank uses portainer for orchestration.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 1, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Another interesting thing about this is that I think a Russian loss (official or not) is going to make future peer wars less likely. Unless it comes out that the Russian army was just a paper tiger this whole time, the case study shows that the cost of invading anything approaching a peer nation is ludicrously high.

You can imagine China with a worse military trying to invade taiwan which is far easier to defend

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Warmachine posted:

The issue is Russia bit off more than they can chew. A campaign for the Donbas, or even linking up the separatists with Crimea, was probably more realistic. They could absolutely have fought a limited war with Ukraine and won. But Ukraine is in a state of total mobilization bankrolled by most of the world's GDP, and Russia can't match that, especially not without provoking domestic unrest.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1498759267091771396

They're unlikely to get it, so

Since the Russian side is still taking the effort to target airfields, the UAF must still be posing a threat, but probably not enough of one

Hm, I wonder if the UAF's capabilities are impacted, or it's just that the airspace around the Donbas front is very heavily contested and/or too far from their bases. I guess it's probably a bit of both.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Despera posted:

You can imagine China with a worse military trying to invade taiwan which is far easier to defend

I can accept that their warfighters may be inept but is their hardware in that bad of shape?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Oh and the Wagner PMC/mercenary company, aka the "plausible deniability arm" of the Russian Military, is actively recruiting more like minded bastards to go and do mayhem upon the Ukrainian people.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498775372883714049?t=ogP2SbkZTD5U-cxxJs0D7Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1498776647750889475?t=-PDWFK5CiyG-M10WJ5xXeA&s=19

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Despera posted:

China's army is probably better than this. Still amphibious invasions are hard, and I'm not so sure about that Chinese navy. I don't think they're going for Taiwan any time soon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Depending on which keys they have, that could be pretty bad. Anyone could legitimately pose as www/api/etc.russianbank.ru or whatever they are, if those are included. Guess they'd better be ready to update some CRLs, and then hope whatever is actually relying on the certs checks said lists :O

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Chalks posted:

Yeah I'd assume that Russian institutions are seen as pretty much open season for western hackers right now, whether or not they are funded by their governments. There was an interview (Swedish) with a Ukranian team of IT workers that moved out from eastern Ukraine to Western Ukraine and were put to hack Russian official websites instead of joining the armed forces, mostly using simpler tools like DDoS attacks to buy the Ukranian army time.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/bGB8Ge/hackare-i-ukraina-genomfor-ddos-attacker-pa-ryssland

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

the popes toes posted:

It's also not that great in that it will be characterized as yet another Western provocation.

I'm not sure that really matters at this point. If western cyberattacks are useful to them they'd claim they were happening regardless of reality.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

Depending on which keys they have, that could be pretty bad. Anyone could legitimately pose as www/api/etc.russianbank.ru or whatever they are, if those are included. Guess they'd better be ready to update some CRLs, and then hope whatever is actually relying on the certs checks said lists :O

They need new languages, strong, irrisistable Motherland code. Dependence on western code must end.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Yeah I'd assume that Russian institutions are seen as pretty much open season for western hackers right now, whether or not they are funded by their governments. There was an interview (Swedish) with a Ukranian team of IT workers that moved out from eastern Ukraine to Western Ukraine and were put to hack Russian official websites instead of joining the armed forces, mostly using simpler tools like DDoS attacks to buy the Ukranian army time.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/bGB8Ge/hackare-i-ukraina-genomfor-ddos-attacker-pa-ryssland

Hey maybe that's where our outsourced Ukrainian IT support folks disappeared to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

steinrokkan posted:

He's already done ethnic cleansing of Ossetia of Georgians, Crimea and Donbas (not just of Ukrainians, Tartars in Crimea also ).

also that, yeah

Putin is not hiding the ball here.

Anyone who thinks there is some preferable option better than "fight back to the death or flee for your lives" at this point, still available to Ukrainians . . . all I can say is that's the sort of stereotyped false nonviolence that right-wing mil-sf writers write when they want to parody and satirize the anti-war left.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh poo poo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ciprian Maricon posted:

OK but what is the plan? What is the good outcome here? is Ukraine just going to start winning, is the U.S. or NATO going to come in guns blazing and rescue everyone? Should Ukrainian's just fight and die to the last?

If they want to fight and die to the last that's a better outcome to them than seeing Ukraine extinguished by a man who doesn't believe it exists.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Wow... I don't have many words to say to this, but this doesn't bode well for Sberbank. I think this deserves an explainer to those that don't know the lingo - could someone do that?

Edit: nevermind there have been posts about this above.

Perhaps it's not as bad as it looks, but I do think that the timing of this probably makes things worse than it would be in peacetime. I imagine doing an incident response during the current situation at a company of that size is... not fun. Especially when you're getting hammered with banking sanctions.

dominoeffect fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 1, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

api/cli/sdk backend leak is not that rosy, meaning that either they have to keep running a leaked backend in a hacker rich enviroment or they need to rework it(and without access to skilled third party coders since nobody worth their salt is going to want rubles today).

on the other hand, there are a shitload of programmers in russia who are out of work since last week. our company had some contractors working on our legacy products, smart guys, but we had to cut them loose because of both international law and the sanctions making it impossible for us to pay them even if we wanted to ignore the law (unless we paid them in crypto or something idiotic). there's no shortage of computer programmers in russia and a ton of them are functionally unemployed right now

dominoeffect posted:

Wow... I don't have many words to say to this, but this doesn't bode well for Sberbank. I think this deserves an explainer to those that don't know the lingo - could someone do that?

they basically have to pull down their website and rebuild it. imagine someone got the master key for all the actual bank lobbies and now they have to change the locks at every bank branch in the country. not entirely catastrophic but they're going to be closed for business for a while

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Saying "give peace a chance" when you've already been loving invaded 8 years ago and then invaded even harder reminds me of this:

Pacificism I understand and respect, even if I disagree with it. It's at least a rationale and consistent moral framework. You don't need to respond to every aggression with over-reactive violence, but constant appeasement ultimately leads to greater evil in the world, not less of it.

If this thread is getting too philosophical and not enough news-y I'll stop.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

SinJin posted:

Where were you 7-8 years ago when this "illegal war" started? You're a bit late to the game to start playing the role of white knight. You and anyone else that is as passionate as yourself are just a flight and taxi ride away from a victory. A victory against an irredentist dictator would look good on your resume. Next to your many other achievements. Meanwhile, I'll put in more effort towards that Pulitzer.

what the gently caress are you talking about dude

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

dominoeffect posted:

Yes, my friend is also asking what this means.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nobody starts a war to give the invaded country better health care options or free chocolate.

Yeah, you start a war in a country to bring the people freedom obviously. I have no doubt that a huge number of high-ups in the US government unironically 100% truly believed they were doing that with Iraq, like they're George C. Marshall.

I don't know really anything about Russia, and based on Putin's speech it doesn't look like he's under an illusions of trying to help Ukraine, but definitely a large number of Americans & American government officials truly thought they were bringing peace and love to Iraq, hundreds of cruise missiles at a time. poo poo, maybe even George W Bush thought that. The US propaganda at the time certainly sold it as such.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Other than some posts on the first day where the Russian MoD claimed to have completely wiped out Ukraine's AA defense and also claimed to be launching an amphibious landing, I haven't really seen anything from them. I've seen lots of stuff from random people who support Russia and of course the usually statements from government officials and news broadcasts.

Is Russia no longer putting out social media claims aimed at the west or are they just not being amplified?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Relevant Tangent posted:

If they want to fight and die to the last that's a better outcome to them than seeing Ukraine extinguished by a man who doesn't believe it exists.

I know one of CSPAM's gimmicks is Holodomor denial for the lulz, but the last time Ukraine was owned by Russia the Soviet Union millions of Ukrainians were starved to death on purpose. No loving poo poo a bunch of Ukrainians are motivated to fight to the death.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I don't doubt their bravery, love of country, or am indifferent about what they think about their country. I am simply asking how they are going to win because it does not currently appear to be happening now or likely indications that its going to change.

The same way any nation makes itself wildly ungovernable by its occupiers while the Seat of Empire crumbles into chaos.

Every day the Ukranian population fights back has layered economic pariah status onto Russia. The armed resistance is accomplishing this.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I feel like this should be posted here at least, in honor of the earleir explaning the war by way of video games episode

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

Other than some posts on the first day where the Russian MoD claimed to have completely wiped out Ukraine's AA defense and also claimed to be launching an amphibious landing, I haven't really seen anything from them. I've seen lots of stuff from random people who support Russia and of course the usually statements from government officials and news broadcasts.

Is Russia no longer putting out social media claims aimed at the west or are they just not being amplified?

They are, I've seen plenty of them on twitter. I don't post them because they make me sick. Someone else can mine the Russian side of social media for poo poo, it ain't gonna be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I though Facebook/Twitter had them taken down, which is why you are getting all the "hashtag COVID denial down 90%" clickbait