Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That Dang Dad posted:

What is the "point" of the Four Belfries? I've done two of the three zones and they seem like little dead ends that are just for curiosity's sake

The dead ends each have a talisman and it's cool, I think that's pretty much it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I haven't monkied with ashes of war yet, I can't imagine they're consumed when you apply them?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

I haven't monkied with ashes of war yet, I can't imagine they're consumed when you apply them?
Not consumed. Swap them in and out to your heart's content.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
So regarding those holy claws, the Cipher Pata: I'm only level 52 and I've never played a souls game before. They're fun as hell, I'm either cosplaying assassin's creed or Wolverine, but the whole lack of range seems awful compared to when I was messing with the twinblade. Got the claws up to +5 and they do seriously shred at 31 faith, though.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Filthy Monkey posted:

Also I didn't realize it until I actually tried one (which took a while because it looked like all of mine would make the damage much worse), but they actually have options for scaling type in addition to changing the weapon art. So you can keep it as a standard weapon and change just the weapon art, if that's what you want

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Filthy Monkey posted:

Can we put this at the top of the OP? Because for my first 20 hours I thought they were consumed. It wasn't until I found my first duplication material that I understood that you only need to duplicate ash if you want to apply the same ability to multiple weapons.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The whetstones you find throughout the game (there are like 5 in total) unlock new infusion options, which took me a while to realize.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
My question re: ash of wars is can you remove them totally? Like if I put one on my claymore is the fun somersault attack gone forever?

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
I love that in FromSoft games, you start at level 1 looking like a lunatic in your underwear, at level 20 you're a competent knight, and then by level 40 you look like a lunatic again with your stone mask, your weeping rags, and your actual moon-worship.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Here’s a fun trick: R2 jump attack, lock on while airborne and the hit will instantly track the target.

This is going to be a thing in pvp with any weapon that has decent reach. I’ve done instant 180 degree turns to hit dudes rolling underneath me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Substandard posted:

My question re: ash of wars is can you remove them totally? Like if I put one on my claymore is the fun somersault attack gone forever?

Nope, the moment you take it off the weapon reverts to its basic skill.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who should From collab with to make the backstory for the next Armored Core for them to just put a Ninebreaker on top of? I'm not in the loop of popular sci-fi authors anymore, though, I think GRRM writes some of that too

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I think I skipped a lot of stuff here.

Killed Margit 2.0 in the capital, burned the tree and reached crumbled beastmen land. Just got my rear end handed on a platter by the beast clergyman who teleported here and turned into an assassin because reasons. Went back to the roundtable and everyone's dying/gone, and the blacksmith just said something about a godslaying weapon?
I'll go for another playthrough so it's ok if I missed a lot, I just want to know if I somehow hosed myself over by skipping parts of the main quest.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh, this game. Went back and found the forlorn hound evergaol, 4 shot him. Including a charged r2 that did him for about 50% damage. Went to check on a sending gate near another grace, it put me right up to dragonbarrow whatever, right behind this big tall thing with a giant fuckin axe. I snuck up behind him and did the same charged r2, it did barely enough damage to count. Luckily I was able to get inside and use the grace

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
spoilers for if you haven't met the boss hidden in caelid sacred tower, but I've been having a good time messing about with scholar's shield, and also having both frost and bleed on a weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR8ZshFqkNw

nice to see that frostbite+fire combo still works. also tbh it makes sense that there's [spoiler]no great magic shield, considering how strong regular magic shield is already considering guard counter[/url]

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I went through Caria manor to the next area and apparently now I'm working for a witch.

Finally decided to go through Stormveil castle. That place is absolutely massive and I'm completely lost on the rooftops. That said, I still lost my life on the various traps, I can imagine this being really miserable if you came here immediately after starting!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For anyone playing a caster build, is there stuff you can do to help FP consumption? I do have the talisman that restores FP on kill, but it so inconsequential. The build I am in right now feels like it can really gently caress poo poo up, but I run out of FP too quickly.

Also, any caster oriented armor in general?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Harrow posted:

There's a talisman that regenerates HP over time but it's like 2 per second at most so it's pretty small.

Nothing I've found that regenerates FP. I think From realized having an MP-regenerating ring in Demon's Souls was a balance mistake so they never did it again. That said there is a talisman that gives you back some FP when you do a critical hit or backstab so that might be worth getting. It's in the catacombs in Liurnia of the Lakes.

Thanks!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can you upgrade your staff? I get the option to upgrade incantation items and everything else but never seen the option to upgrade meteorite staff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BabyRyoga posted:

For anyone playing a caster build, is there stuff you can do to help FP consumption? I do have the talisman that restores FP on kill, but it so inconsequential. The build I am in right now feels like it can really gently caress poo poo up, but I run out of FP too quickly.

have you considered occasionally hitting enemies with a sharp piece of metal if they're not worth using a spell on

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IronicDongz posted:

spoilers for if you haven't met the boss hidden in caelid sacred tower, but I've been having a good time messing about with scholar's shield, and also having both frost and bleed on a weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR8ZshFqkNw

nice to see that frostbite+fire combo still works. also tbh it makes sense that there's no great magic shield, considering how strong regular magic shield is already considering guard counter

I am almost positive that guy kicked my rear end in a chalice dungeon

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

JBP posted:

Can you upgrade your staff? I get the option to upgrade incantation items and everything else but never seen the option to upgrade meteorite staff.

as stated in its description, the meteorite staff cannot be upgraded

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

What spells are you using? I rely heavily on carian slicer (ultra FP efficient, good damage, but forces you into melee), magic glintblade (not as good as the next one but more flexible and safe) and rock sling (less safe, best damage if you can freecast, arcs in a weird way so kind of requires the right environment). I very rarely had issues with FP outside of the early game.

For armor I've been using the spellblade set from rogier, IDK if it is a significant amount but all the pieces buff sorcery. There are a lot of other options for hats specifically

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

as stated in its description, the meteorite staff cannot be upgraded

Ah right my brain must have blanked that when I got it in hour 3 or whatever, thanks!

Just on rock sling it's amazing against invader NPCs as they can't cope with the delay. Also if you've got a boss at long range they will also duff the timing and get smashed with rocks. I can knock down more or less anything with three casts and run in for a critical.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there a difference? I’m playing PS5 version on PS5 (Performance Mode) and besides a bit of stutter sometimes I haven’t had any issues.

Ps4 on ps5 stutters less but looks less nice. I personally am ok with the level of stutter in performance mode and the game is stunning

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

JBP posted:

The meteorite staff explicitly cannot be upgraded. The balance is why it's so crazy good at +0. Demi human queen staff gets better at like +9 with middling Int. If you just want to sit at like 12 Int and cast glintstone armaments then meteorite is pretty legit for a long rear end time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DeathSandwich posted:

The meteorite staff explicitly cannot be upgraded. The balance is why it's so crazy good at +0. Demi human queen staff gets better at like +9 with middling Int. If you just want to sit at like 12 Int and cast glintstone armaments then meteorite is pretty legit for a long rear end time.

I'm 30int 30dex spellblade. I'll have a tool around with my other staves. I've just been ignoring them because the meteorite has 100+ more sorcery power and boosts rocks which are my go to spell.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Azran posted:

Not sure about the trigger, I think you have to have talked to Alexander at the very least, but at nightthere aren't any enemies inside the castle, all doors are closed and the boss fight room is full of NPCs waiting to challenge the actual boss of the area.

Oh thanks! I have talked to that character way back when, but night doesn't make any change so maybe there's another trigger to hit, or maybe it's bugged. Will snoop online and see!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Harrow posted:

Ohhh okay yeah, that's a much longer process. You have to do Ranni's questline. She gives it to you at the end. I haven't finished it yet but from what I can tell it's a rare fairly-straightforward questline in that Ranni will tell you where to go and what to do without too much ambiguity.

It's, uh, sorta? Like when everything works you get the breadcrumb trail. I later found out you could talk to Iji and get the filler on where to go but Teen Wolf was nowhere to be found since I'd already gone to that area. Picked it up, completed it (or so I thought) but since there was nothing to point to taking the portal I'd have never seen it.

Looks like Mailer's Capital Vacation just got delayed again.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Okay, I am preeeeetty stuck at this point. Level 40ish, three shardbearers down, locked out of the northeast. Any tips (beyond the obvious "holy poo poo 16 vigor is not enough for mid-game")?

Deets: After I beat Renalla, Ofnir told me to go east and that "the two fingers wouldn't block me." I assumed this meant on past the lake area, but alas, I don't have half of the key for the big ol' lift at the far northeast end. So instead, I decided to follow Ranni/Blaidd's questline.

I was somehow able to beat Radahn despite every attack of his one-shotting me. I made it to the Eternal City and pushed through to the gargoyle boss, who is very much the same deal—his darn ground-slam beam one-shots me and it's very hard to dodge out of. So okay, I figure I shouldn't be there.

At this point, I feel like I've explored Limgrave, Liurnia and Weeping Penninsula pretty thoroughly. Probably a few caves and catacombs I haven't hit up. Which leaves me with:

- Cleaning up south Caelid (Sellia, namely)
- Dragonbarrow, which I haven't touched much of
- Uhl Palace Ruins past , which felt way too hard when I last tried it after Ainsel River ant area

Anybody in a similar boat?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god moonveil dummies people when invading, i dont think they expect the ranged L2 and you can just fire that off so fast. dex/int is real good with that and a paired magic uchi.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

That Dang Dad posted:

What is the "point" of the Four Belfries? I've done two of the three zones and they seem like little dead ends that are just for curiosity's sake

I read that completing them is part of a quest to enable infinite invasions.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

404notfound posted:

Also I didn't realize it until I actually tried one (which took a while because it looked like all of mine would make the damage much worse), but they actually have options for scaling type in addition to changing the weapon art. So you can keep it as a standard weapon and change just the weapon art, if that's what you want

Yeah. You can also add an ash of the existing move to change the scaling if you want. So a samurai could add a 'quick sheathe' ash and chance the sword to 'keen' to scale by dexterity. So it becomes keen and keeps the same move.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

huh posted:

I read that completing them is part of a quest to enable infinite invasions.

the ONE npc i killed was the npc that's essential for that. i'm a little annoyed about it

i also need a new heavy str/faith weapon, the anchor is hilarious but i need something cooler. the tree sentinel halberd is insane but i need a cool hammer

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

f#a# posted:

Anybody in a similar boat?

Sounds like you're about ready for the Northeast part of the map. Check the description on the half of the key you have and it should direct you to the location of the other one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

No Mods No Masters posted:

What spells are you using? I rely heavily on carian slicer (ultra FP efficient, good damage, but forces you into melee), magic glintblade (not as good as the next one but more flexible and safe) and rock sling (less safe, best damage if you can freecast, arcs in a weird way so kind of requires the right environment). I very rarely had issues with FP outside of the early game.

For armor I've been using the spellblade set from rogier, IDK if it is a significant amount but all the pieces buff sorcery. There are a lot of other options for hats specifically

How do you get the Soulblade set? Is it better than the Sage set i'm using?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Thumbtacks posted:

the ONE npc i killed was the npc that's essential for that. i'm a little annoyed about it

i also need a new heavy str/faith weapon, the anchor is hilarious but i need something cooler. the tree sentinel halberd is insane but i need a cool hammer

Apparently theres a returning Dark Souls mechanic to have your sins forgiven so you dont miss things? I might be wrong

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is critically important: I found the mimic veil. Is homing soulmass back in the game? Can I reform the Battle Barrel?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mcmagic posted:

How do you get the Soulblade set? Is it better than the Sage set i'm using?

I ignored rogier's quest and at some point he died, then I was able to loot it. Presumably also if you complete his quest he dies and you can loot it. Like I said I have no idea how good the sorcery bonus on the pieces is, but they do all say they have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

queeb posted:

god moonveil dummies people when invading, i dont think they expect the ranged L2 and you can just fire that off so fast. dex/int is real good with that and a paired magic uchi.

I've been using hidden weapon and hitting people with the dual blade lightsaber ash. You can see the other player poo poo themselves.