Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.rfi.fr/en/toyota-halts-japan-plants-after-reported-cyber-attack

Some details in here but not much yet.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Nukelear v.2 posted:

On the Cloud end of VM, I've been playing with Orca and Wiz lately. Their workflows for finding and prioritizing vulnerabilities and automating Slack/Jira/ServiceNow alerting is pretty slick.
Combining VM and CSPM lets you do some really nice things.
when it works, try asking for logs or doing a detailed inventory audit

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/AgainstTheWest_/status/1498728845041672194

I guess we'll be seeing more of this stuff, than less, right now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
the russian bank is the less worrying leak from anonymous

https://twitter.com/AnonUkraine_/status/1498773498713497600

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It looks like a particle accelerator. I mean it’s not great, presumably you can’t do much with that specific UI but who knows what SCADA is actually exposed.

You might be able to damage the equipment but you’re not going to trigger the next chernobyl with that interface. I did work in a particle accelerator in the late 90s for a little bit and I don’t remember there being much risk of the town going up, but I’m not going to cite myself as any sort of authority on this. It’s been far far far too long since I had anything interesting to say in that space.

Thaaaaaat said, for every uninteresting SCADA interface you find I wouldn’t be surprised if there were like five more which ARE actually worrisome somewhere nearby.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

Thaaaaaat said, for every uninteresting SCADA interface you find I wouldn’t be surprised if there were like five more which ARE actually worrisome somewhere nearby.
Ayup. And yes, you can't really do poo poo to a particle accelerator besides letting it cook itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
yeah, even IF you got into the SCADA systems of a normal power reactor, if anything goes funky they just shut down the reactor and start emergency cooling systems. And most power reactors, the SCADA for the reactor (if it has digital systems) is completely air gapped.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SCADA systems always remind me of the best fact about SCADA: Too many people thinks it's okay to make them accessible from the web without any authentication.

That's all you need to know about SCADA.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Talk about SCADAfreude.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I worked on so many bad SCADA systems in my time as a government employee. Just off the top of my head favorites included:
  • The HVAC controller for a city hall and PD that ran on an embedded win2003 server that was internet accessible that got DDoSed into oblivion.
  • A water tower that had water shooting up out of the top as it overfilled due to a pump being misconfigured, then taken offline when someone crypto'd the desktop used to access it.
  • Another city that ran the free version of teamviewer to access their SCADA system. Some public works guy couldnt connect, called someone (still unclear to me to this day how/who he was looking up for tech support) and reached an overseas scammer that requested teamviewer access and did the standard tech support scam. The system was wiped and reconfigured as a precaution and that city had to have guys manually adjust and check poo poo over the weekend.
This was all for small towns under 5-10K people. I would hope/pray the bigger utility systems are setup better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I could just be talking garbage, but is there any reason why basic functions like filling a water tower with a pump couldn't be performed by programming the PLC, flipping a switch to make the code read only while providing outputs to allow process monitoring, and isolating the whole lot on a network that never sees the Internet? Or is it just a case of people writing code until it works, calling it done, no ongoing maintenance contracts agreed and local tech support people 'solving' problems by chucking in broadband links and desktop PCs running remote access software?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I could just be talking garbage, but is there any reason why basic functions like filling a water tower with a pump couldn't be performed by programming the PLC, flipping a switch to make the code read only while providing outputs to allow process monitoring, and isolating the whole lot on a network that never sees the Internet? Or is it just a case of people writing code until it works, calling it done, no ongoing maintenance contracts agreed and local tech support people 'solving' problems by chucking in broadband links and desktop PCs running remote access software?

Basic functions could absolutely be performed as you described. The problem I encountered over and over again is that these small cities would spend most of their budget on the basic hardware, SCADA was an afterthought, and security of the system a mere glimmer in the mind. Most of these are setup by smaller rinky dink HVAC or plumbing companies, and if you're lucky the installer has some basic IT knowledge. So while the hardware is in place the SCADA software/systems is setup following the most basic of configs, like following the instructions for a home router setup basic, and any deviation from that will piss off the installer, because again they barely understand how it works and just followed the basic setup instructions without understanding any of the why.

I'd see "servers" that were off the shelf computers from best buy running a home OS with all the garbage that comes with that. Most often setup with some lovely free remote access software. And every public works guy out there needs/wants to be able to hit it from their phone.

Most of the time the best I could do is isolate these poo poo heaps from the rest of the network while still following orders and making it internet accessible. At least that way when it went down the damage was limited.

In some cases like the water tower example, it was noticeable by the public, and the city council made funds available to actually improve the system. Hired an actual professional integrator who worked with us and setup a modern, secure system. That rarely happens though.

EDIT: Another thing came to mind. When some of these systems would inevitably go down, public works staff would just manually drive to sites to check things and adjust as needed. So most of the time if stuff did go down the city water supply wasnt at risk of shutting down, it was just way more labor intensive. Occasionally after having staff work a weekend and paying overtime we'd get them to consider safeguarding and improving these systems but that was pretty rare. The one weekend a month of overtime was still cheaper short term than hiring a SCADA integrator.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 2, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I could just be talking garbage, but is there any reason why basic functions like filling a water tower with a pump couldn't be performed by programming the PLC, flipping a switch to make the code read only while providing outputs to allow process monitoring, and isolating the whole lot on a network that never sees the Internet?
And have someone need to drive places to maintain/troubleshoot stuff because you don't want to have an independent metro network?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah from all my experiences with aforementioned academic accelerator bla bla, I think the people who are responsible for said SCADA give it zero thought other than "it's there, and I want to use it, sometimes from home"

Of course this was also the era where my University just handed out publicly routable IPs on their /16 when you put a fancy new computer in your lab or office so it's not like "do I make it public" was much of a decision. Really and truly glad I wasn't on their IT squad back in the 90s. I would like to presume there was some basic firewalling going on but I distinctly remember opening up 80 and running an IRC server on my office desktop so yeah..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The other thing is SCADA often doesn't include built in mechanical safeties like safety vales, relief valves, burst valves, etc that can prevent dangerous conditions even if you do a bunch of muck in the SCADA system, and are often not connected.

If the safety system at a reactor decides that its no longer safe to run the reactor, the operator is going to shut it down. This is party of why the human factor is always going to be critical even in digitally controlled industrial systems: They are often a factor of safety in ensuring nothing goes too wrong.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Dumb question: Is #againstthewes a typo, or am I missing something?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Tapedump posted:

Dumb question: Is #againstthewes a typo, or am I missing something?

Who the hell is Thewes?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

who is wes?!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

CLAM DOWN posted:

who is wes?!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Who the hell is Thewes?

And with his mighty thewes, Travis Ormandy sundered all encryption forever

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arivia posted:

Travis Ormandy

Tavis :eng101:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Travis Ormandy is the North-British long-lost twin of Tavis Ormandy.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Anyone else seen an increase in phishing of like... 400%+ since the Russian invasion? Our e-mail scanners are having a complete field day. I work for a European company.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

FungiCap posted:

Anyone else seen an increase in phishing of like... 400%+ since the Russian invasion? Our e-mail scanners are having a complete field day. I work for a European company.

i've heard from two different techs at a company that A:phishing has almost vanished since russia cut off their own internet!! and B: they've been having constant issues, guess russia has stepped up their game!!

so here at least im just assuming it's confirmation bias or something, those two both work in the same team doing the same thing on alternating day shifts lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think usaa just got owned. Beware if that is your bank.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Russia didn't cut off their internet?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I'm not sure why people think that Russia cutting off the internet from the general populace would impact their gov sponsored campaigns that are proxied in countries across the world tbh.

Edit: They didnt even cut off their internet so I'm double confused.

FungiCap fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 4, 2022

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sickening posted:

I think usaa just got owned. Beware if that is your bank.

It is. What specifically about it?
e: I see a bunch of mentions on Twitter about problems logging in but I seem ok mobile at least.

rafikki fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 4, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rafikki posted:

It is. What specifically about it?

My ceo was just hit by a very advanced social engineering attempt who had way more usaa info the what would be possible without a breach or otherwise phished info. Other Employees are reporting similar things. Their front door just went down.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah something is going on with USAA. Heard from a coworker that is in InfoSec finance that I use to work with, some FINRA members are apparently discussing it. No clue super vague right now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah something is going on with USAA. Heard from a coworker that is in InfoSec finance that I use to work with, some FINRA members are apparently discussing it. No clue super vague right now.

Isn't USAA the bank for military/family?

e: lol false flag, oorah

e2: they're owned by Schwab now, who I used to work for, I should know this

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Not my bank but hopefully my insurance company is spun off and insulated

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I do everything with USAA. Their customer service has gotten pretty bad so if they really got owned time for a new bank I guess.

brains
May 12, 2004

i just got two phishing emails from Schwab with straight up malware pdf links

edit: nothing from USAA though, can't say it is related

brains fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 4, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have USAA and have not heard anything yet or seen anything weird.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I have USAA and have not heard anything yet or seen anything weird.

Check the timeline for people posting about USAA on twitter. Things are looking spooky.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Check the timeline for people posting about USAA on twitter. Things are looking spooky.

No, I do see the posts, but I'm not seeing anything in USAA itself.

But if it does turn out to be a breach and they were not transparent, yeah that's gonna be a deal killer.

E: I logged onto my account, I can see everything, but the....UI has entirely changed? They do say its a new homepage, its massively simplified. Right now its looking more like a really bad app rollout than a hack.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 4, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FungiCap posted:

I can say that for myself personally, the amount of phishing/impersonation scam emails, phone calls, AND texts has gone up about 10x this week from what I usually get. Usually get 1 or 2 spam phone calls a month, yesterday I got 4. Also most of the phishing emails have been Norton Antivirus related, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress me, are there literally any good American banks