Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

poo poo I keep forgetting I can list things to sell for gold instead of instantly dismantling them. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

explosivo posted:

poo poo I keep forgetting I can list things to sell for gold instead of instantly dismantling them. :doh:
Dismantling armor & weapons & stones from chaos is fine. They don't sell anymore. Even the t1/t2 abyss stuff kinda doesn't sell altho if you get a good stat+class skill+quality combination some of it can sell for 20g-500g.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

You can buy mats on the marketplace and you get a bunch of gold just doing the fun parts and selling stuff that isn't bound. You also get 6+ months worth of boxes. I think for most things converting gold -> crystals and buying the boxes on maris is cheaper still.

Most t1/t2/current t3 abyssals and guardians don't take consumables beyond flares which the game showers you with for just playing & NA/EU have a rude meta where 1 doesn't flare first and someone who is annoyed with the rest of the group not doing it will. Bringing some hp pots helps, but you don't need them most of the time in guardians or abyss (except the 8 man kinda, but bringing green hp pots and using ~2 is enough to not die).

also you can do tradeskills in your stronghold it takes no time at all to energy dump if all you want is personal consumables, or you can do them while doing other content if you want.

As long as you aren't impatient with enhance materials that aren't bound you'll have more crystals & gold than you know what to do with without even touching lifeskills. Consumables aren't a concern in any current content. With the real difficult abyss stuff they haven't released maybe it will be, but I don't expect most people to do those.

It's nice to know I can do tradeskills without having to run around and compete for nodes with people in the game world.

Regardless though, the main reason I'm down on the game is that I really don't want to play with pubbies if all I have to look forward to is people mashing their face into a boss and loving up mechanics until they die and loving everyone over, or trying to get groups via group finder and having to deal with weirdos and their lovely expectations, and I don't want to bother Goons because I don't like having to beg people to come do content with me because I won't do party finder. So I'm hosed regardless.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

QuantaStarFire posted:

It's nice to know I can do tradeskills without having to run around and compete for nodes with people in the game world.

Regardless though, the main reason I'm down on the game is that I really don't want to play with pubbies if all I have to look forward to is people mashing their face into a boss and loving up mechanics until they die and loving everyone over, or trying to get groups via group finder and having to deal with weirdos and their lovely expectations, and I don't want to bother Goons because I don't like having to beg people to come do content with me because I won't do party finder. So I'm hosed regardless.
I'm up for getting a regular group of people together to run abyss with weekly. I have alts at most gear levels at the moment & my main also.

I suspect there are goons who want to do stuff too. I think in discord they are trying to use threads in lfg to organize.

I don't mind wiping a ton of times if people are learning & don't expect people to use consumables and stuff. With random people in party you do get weirdos & angry people from time to time. For the most part, people have been alright so far. I've heard some horror stories from EU & West people.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 1, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So what endgame content does and does not scale to player count? I saw a message in the chaos dungeon that the difficultly was adjusted after someone left.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

So what endgame content does and does not scale to player count? I saw a message in the chaos dungeon that the difficultly was adjusted after someone left.
Chaos & Guardian scale. Cube and boss rush scale. Abyss doesn't scale but certain mechanics are a bit easier with 1 person missing/dead due to their design while others are harder.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 1, 2022

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

Then do what I've been doing. As far as I can tell, I'm not on the goon server and am thus running around guildless. Instead, I'm mostly just doing chaos dungeons daily and then going off to clean up my back log of missed things. That being mokoko seeds and other items to boost the adventure tome up some more. Hell, as a reminder on that, mokoko seeds can be found in dungeons. And dungeons don't scale to your level, it is trivial at level 50 to just nap walk through a dungeon and let cutscenes flow if you initially did it in a group and skipped them all. I have a slight goal in that I'd like to get a few more skill potions so I can step up my skills a bit more. I'm 4 points away from on a new skill rung on my paladin, but quite a bit more is needed to hit the next rung for my sorc (switching out a level 1 skill for a level 10 skill).

At any rate, just peace out to something else in the game when you feel that way. Get your song of resonance and forest minuet as another example if you haven't done that. I'm almost ilvl 420 on my sorc just from chaos dungeon daily runs. And I'm ok with that pace. It isn't the pace for everyone I know, but it is a more comfortable pace for me.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, one of the nice things about Lost Ark is that you don't have to do hard content to progress. It just helps you progress faster. From what I understand, even the hardest content in the game in the KR version is tiered such that even just clearing the easiest floors of the final abyssal dungeon still gets you progression mats at an equal distribution rate of the later floors to boot.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'll be honest: nerfing the content probably isn't enough to get me to actually try it. Even if it becomes easy to matchmake, the fact that it's already set up the expectation that consumables are going to be required going forward means that, at some point, I'm going to have to farm mats and level tradeskills or risk being unable to do the content, and since I'm not going to do that kind of tedious grindy stuff just to engage with the fun parts of the game then it seems wise to just peace out now and not get too invested.

If you haven't tried out the raids and guardians you're easily missing the most fun part of the game imo

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

chami posted:

It’s better with the other engraving, but chaos with FI isn’t too hard if you spec for max AOE with all your skills and keep moon flash and sweeping kicks for bosses/really big packs because they have decent AOE in their boss killing tripods anyway. I only just finished Rohendel though so maybe it gets tougher in higher ilvls past gear scaling?

To be clear about my complaint, it's that it's boring. I don't think there's a way to make chaos hard

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Estel posted:

This is not on the announcement but in a different thread about it:

People really underestimate how bad are people when playing videogames. If you think you are just a decent player i can assure you you are better than 75% of the people playing Lost Ark right now.

I was randomed into a group with someone who was 1k+ gearscore, and had a single engraving at 1st bubble (5 pips), and that's it, and I think it was grudge.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaedric posted:

I was randomed into a group with someone who was 1k+ gearscore, and had a single engraving at 1st bubble (5 pips), and that's it, and I think it was grudge.

I saw this yesterday too lol I couldn't believe my eyes.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Spuckuk posted:

If you haven't tried out the raids and guardians you're easily missing the most fun part of the game imo

Probably, yeah. But I'm just not keen on pugging hard content, and I'm not going to bother goons and subject them to any of my bullshit, so I'm just not going to do any of it. And since that just leaves Chaos dungeons as the only way forward, and they're not compelling enough on their own to justify logging in every day, my time in Lost Ark is effectively finished.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sucks to suck, guardian raids are really fun

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Sucks to suck, guardian raids are really fun

Believe me, if I didn't have to deal with these social anxiety brain problems, I'd be there.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

QuantaStarFire posted:

Probably, yeah. But I'm just not keen on pugging hard content, and I'm not going to bother goons and subject them to any of my bullshit, so I'm just not going to do any of it. And since that just leaves Chaos dungeons as the only way forward, and they're not compelling enough on their own to justify logging in every day, my time in Lost Ark is effectively finished.

Use find party. You will probably never have to say anything besides ‘yes’ if someone asks if you understand the mechanics and maybe an optional ‘gg’ when you finish

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
no one needs to be weird about it. people have fun in different ways, and some people aren't into pugging content. i am in a similar situation with pugging content, especially after the horror stories in this thread.

although, i wouldn't worry so much about asking goons for help. there are so many of us playing at varying levels of ilvl and seriousness. some of us are very patient and just want to have a good time with each other when playing, even if that means we wipe a few times to figure out mechanics.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Seems like something really needs to be done about the incentives in T3 Chaos. Everybody dropping after stage 2 so you need to solo stage 3 just kinda sucks. It still isn't hard because chaos is never actually hard, but it just feels lame

Oh well at least I got both a cube and a boss rush ticket today

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Speaking of goons, is there anyone else on Rohendal (NA West)? I rolled on there before reading what servers people were playing and have pretty much been pugging everything myself.

I created my own guild to get rid of the quest indicator and then realized that if I'm the sole member I can just give myself 100% of the bloodstones every week and no one will care, but if you're on Rohendal I promise I'll share lol.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

Seems like something really needs to be done about the incentives in T3 Chaos. Everybody dropping after stage 2 so you need to solo stage 3 just kinda sucks. It still isn't hard because chaos is never actually hard, but it just feels lame

Oh well at least I got both a cube and a boss rush ticket today
This is because they did their 2x chaos for the day and are just running for mats. Map 2 gives you the most maps in the least amount of time & gives you a chance at a boss portal. The strategy for spamming after your dailies is to do floor 1 -> slam through floor 2 -> leave if it's not a boss/goblin portal.

Not sure why they are doing matchmaking though. You'd want to solo for that probably.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Khorne posted:

This is because they did their 2x chaos for the day and are just running for mats. Map 2 gives you the most maps in the least amount of time & gives you a chance at a boss portal. The strategy for spamming after your dailies is to do floor 1 -> slam through floor 2 -> leave if it's not a boss/goblin portal.

Not sure why they are doing matchmaking though. You'd want to solo for that probably.

oh yeah, I get it, I just think they should change it to floor 3 being the most efficient for mats because then there wouldn't be this problem

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yeah, I really wanted to enjoy LAO's senseless cargo cult take on the popularized gimmicks the direction team naively borrowed from the isometric hack 'n slash games their older siblings used to play. It's just a shame the dev budget ran out right after modeling such a beautiful static world to play in which is then never reused again past the atrocious main story line, and instead the players are left with repeating the mindless runs of the claustrophobic single-room D3 rifts and whacking at children's book caricatures of MH monsters with mechanics that will make a seasoned design team resign in dishonor.

The facade of fetishes is the name of this game's direction. There's nothing in it more deeply thought through than a recollection of some vague concept in the last decade of gaming or some pop culture high fantasy lore. Like take the staple filler MMO activities like player housing that has so much room, heh, for creativity and customization, but no it caters solely to some weird harem fantasy with one single garish island to plop down a fountain on and invite all NPCs love interests wooed via the tacked-on gift-grifting system for a feast/party. Mundane are the achievements, collectables, and gathering that all also fall under the pursuit of similarly senseless rewards - some useless charisma stat poison or the necessary kind of health poison that differs from the regular kind that's sold at vendor... with everything boiling down to the "go to this spot on the map and hit G repeatedly until your bot-prevention gathering energy or your will to play any game runs out".

Past all the disjointed performative window dressing hastily glued on top by the similarly siloed collective that seems to make up Smilegate, at its core this game's a myriad of time-honed gambling and loot crate paradigms aimed at filtering out the dedicated whales willing to drop hundreds of dollars on chance boosting items to make any visible progress through the singular sisyphean journey of gachaing the curved remainder of the statistical 100 honing failures to the latest tier gear, T3/1100 or whatever it may be at the moment. With how long this game's been out and playable with production ready assets making profit on the real money store, any insistence post its international launch that anyone can reach a higher tier of gear within a few months just by ardently shoveling rat poo poo aboard Peyto while simultaneously being disallowed to partake in the full extent of pretty princess dressup is simply criminal.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

AI postbots still have a ways to go I guess.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Yeah, I really wanted to enjoy LAO's senseless cargo cult take on the popularized gimmicks the direction team naively borrowed from the isometric hack 'n slash games their older siblings used to play. It's just a shame the dev budget ran out right after modeling such a beautiful static world to play in which is then never reused again past the atrocious main story line, and instead the players are left with repeating the mindless runs of the claustrophobic single-room D3 rifts and whacking at children's book caricatures of MH monsters with mechanics that will make a seasoned design team resign in dishonor.

The facade of fetishes is the name of this game's direction. There's nothing in it more deeply thought through than a recollection of some vague concept in the last decade of gaming or some pop culture high fantasy lore. Like take the staple filler MMO activities like player housing that has so much room, heh, for creativity and customization, but no it caters solely to some weird harem fantasy with one single garish island to plop down a fountain on and invite all NPCs love interests wooed via the tacked-on gift-grifting system for a feast/party. Mundane are the achievements, collectables, and gathering that all also fall under the pursuit of similarly senseless rewards - some useless charisma stat poison or the necessary kind of health poison that differs from the regular kind that's sold at vendor... with everything boiling down to the "go to this spot on the map and hit G repeatedly until your bot-prevention gathering energy or your will to play any game runs out".

Past all the disjointed performative window dressing hastily glued on top by the similarly siloed collective that seems to make up Smilegate, at its core this game's a myriad of time-honed gambling and loot crate paradigms aimed at filtering out the dedicated whales willing to drop hundreds of dollars on chance boosting items to make any visible progress through the singular sisyphean journey of gachaing the curved remainder of the statistical 100 honing failures to the latest tier gear, T3/1100 or whatever it may be at the moment. With how long this game's been out and playable with production ready assets making profit on the real money store, any insistence post its international launch that anyone can reach a higher tier of gear within a few months just by ardently shoveling rat poo poo aboard Peyto while simultaneously being disallowed to partake in the full extent of pretty princess dressup is simply criminal.

sorry that happened to you or something idk

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's probably because most people are terrible at video games so having them all matchmake and fail in T1 abyssals is turning them off from lost ark. Why do you guys care if they nerf poo poo you aren't even doing anymore?

Because alts and it feels like a general policy thats going to carry though to the rest of the game

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

That post is borderline experimental.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Do we even know what “adjusting difficulty” means? The quoted post is pretty vague.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Lol didn’t read

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That post is art

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hefty posted:

Do we even know what “adjusting difficulty” means? The quoted post is pretty vague.

No. It's probably going to be some HP nerfs to bring things into line with the KR version if I had to guess.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

i didn't realize tycho brahe posted on something awful

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

This post is a work of art.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i think the game is fun

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rap music posted:

i think the game is fun

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I just did two of the three 8 man underwater abyssal dungeons in T2 and its pretty rough in matchmaking. The first one was pretty straight forward but the last boss has a lot of stuff to dodge. I'm lucky I'm range because it looks pretty annoying as a melee. In the end I was the last one alive while the boss was enraged and managed to solo it down. Just barely. That wasn't so bad I thought. Its more about skill than mechanics. Time to move onto the next one. How bad could it be?

It was horrible. The second dungeon's boss is very easy. The attacks are simple, the damage is low, and nothing really kills you. However, the second dungeon's boss has a gimmick where you must soak alternating coloured balls and if one reaches the boss it goes boom and everyone wipes. So before we get into the boss we had everyone line up in cardinal and intercardinal positions. Everyone took it. We then went, after soaking one orb move clockwise into the spot of the next person and soak. Everyone follows. Get into the fight and we have people running into each other's spots. People not moving. And people fighting each other for spots. Blame game begins.

After about 6 wipes in, one person mentions that our bard wasn't in the correct spot because she didn't know that a south west position existed. She just went straight south then rushed to west. So fast forward about 10 more wipes. At this point it was an hour in of wiping. Our gear were yellow and at the point of breaking. Some people in the group were preparing to call it. When all of a sudden the people who messed up got an epiphany or something and managed to do all the mechanics correctly and we cleared the boss no problem.

I still need to finish the last one before reset on thursday. Despite all the struggle with matchmaking, I still had fun running it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really like this game. There is so drat much stuff to do.

I don’t even have time for an alt lol

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Velveteen posted:

I just did two of the three 8 man underwater abyssal dungeons in T2 and its pretty rough in matchmaking. The first one was pretty straight forward but the last boss has a lot of stuff to dodge. I'm lucky I'm range because it looks pretty annoying as a melee. In the end I was the last one alive while the boss was enraged and managed to solo it down. Just barely. That wasn't so bad I thought. Its more about skill than mechanics. Time to move onto the next one. How bad could it be?

It was horrible. The second dungeon's boss is very easy. The attacks are simple, the damage is low, and nothing really kills you. However, the second dungeon's boss has a gimmick where you must soak alternating coloured balls and if one reaches the boss it goes boom and everyone wipes. So before we get into the boss we had everyone line up in cardinal and intercardinal positions. Everyone took it. We then went, after soaking one orb move clockwise into the spot of the next person and soak. Everyone follows. Get into the fight and we have people running into each other's spots. People not moving. And people fighting each other for spots. Blame game begins.

After about 6 wipes in, one person mentions that our bard wasn't in the correct spot because she didn't know that a south west position existed. She just went straight south then rushed to west. So fast forward about 10 more wipes. At this point it was an hour in of wiping. Our gear were yellow and at the point of breaking. Some people in the group were preparing to call it. When all of a sudden the people who messed up got an epiphany or something and managed to do all the mechanics correctly and we cleared the boss no problem.

I still need to finish the last one before reset on thursday. Despite all the struggle with matchmaking, I still had fun running it.

The third one is much harder than the first two. I did it with the a 5 man pre-made and then party finder fill, but we didn't wipe much at all on the first two 8-mans, maybe one or two wipes so everyone had seen things, but spent a long time on the last boss of the 3rd one. Breaking people out in time and keeping enough people alive to make the stagger checks was hard. We also wiped a few times on the second boss, but I think it'd be super easy now that we've done it. The last boss felt more like a lucky pull than good execution. I mean we were improving, but still I think we had like 3 people up at the end.

That rotating thing was harder to explain than it was to do, but we probably just got lucky with our pugs.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 2, 2022

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

today it was me, I was the bad pubbie. well first i was the good pubbie and crushed the gently caress outta chromium the first time trying, thought i was hot poo poo, well mr nacradamus scorpion king put me straight in the dumpster 3 times. thankfully the deathblade in the group was a pro i guess and killed it, doing 56% of the groups damage.. maybe next time I'll do better

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Indecisive posted:

today it was me, I was the bad pubbie.
me too today

the clown got on the ball so I spread out but he stone cursed my entire team & killed them without them being on my screen so I didn't know

so I did the only reasonable thing and solod his last 2 hp bars and everyone was happy even though I am the reason they died :(

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
To add onto the bad pubbie stories:

Man, I feel a bit bad. I felt like I was doing great all this time, guardian raids and abyssal dungeons going well, but I just got out of an abyssal dungeon where the boss's health was being reduced waaaayy more slowly than usual. Like, most of the time Garum will die around like 5-6 roars, so like a single rotation of cleansing and a small bit after, but this time Garum got through like 3 full rotations of roars and cleansing before he finally died. On one hand, it was quite enthralling to have such a long and hard-fought victory, teaching the pubbies the strategy through failures and finally overcoming it, but on the other hand, I wasn't sure what the heck was going on to cause such a difference.

That's when I inspected the party member stats for the first time ever and I noticed that all of us were right on the ilvl requirement: 340. After this run, I was checking party members out for other runs, the more typical faster runs, and people were more around 400-500 ilvl range with only me being in the 340 ilvl. Again, I felt bad: here I thought the fights were a well-balanced challenge and I thought nerfs were unnecessary, but now after seeing how spongy and hard-hitting they are for people on-level, I'm not so sure anymore. But maybe this is part of the intended experience? Not to expect it to be balanced at the required ilvl, but to overlevel the difficulty, or to get carried? I just don't know: there could be other factors in play, like how I was a support paladin for the slower run so I wasn't contributing the needed DPS, or maybe the other party members were just bad DPS? Because of the ability to let people of all sorts of gear levels come in and the unclear way on how to measure oneself, now I have this paranoia on whether I'm playing effectively or not: I'm pretty sure I'm doing as best as I can, but sometimes it just feels so confusing.