Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Russia have a Great Wall equivalent or are they just super centralized at the ISP level that they blackhole IP/AS?

E: Threatening to block wikipedia, blocking access to the indipendent news sites etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/NoahCRothman/status/1498806882173165578

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Turns out the videos of Ukranians confronting invaders doesn't quite encapsulate just how angry they all are.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2022/february/idi-haxuj

"Translating swear words is never simple. In this video of a Ukrainian soldier warning and threatening Russian troops, the words blayd (‘slut’ or ‘whore’), pizdetz (‘a messed-up situation’, deriving from pizda, or ‘oval office’), and khuy – three of the four words that form the basis of mat – are all translated as ‘gently caress’, while ebat (which really does mean ‘gently caress’, and is the root of the word Boris Nemtsov once used to describe Putin’s mental state) is never used. If that matters, it’s because in Russian khuy is stronger, by far, than the word for ‘gently caress’. Tell a Russian acquaintance to gently caress off, and he’s likely to laugh it off. But even among old friends, khuy and pizda are no laughing matter. (Pizdetz, on the other hand, is rather mild.)"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I also wonder if the Belarusian reinforcements are more competent than their Russian overlords.

Definitely not, they're forced to send their officers to train in Russia.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I don't see how Russia survives this economically for the war to last that long.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

What that tells you is the UK foreign secretary who said that is a numbskull.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Folks, remember the list chat some time ago?

https://twitter.com/AKurkov/status/1498521869510656001

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

It's OK, I have it on good authority that if you're not a Nazi you have nothing to fear.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1498808782415093766
I mean, it's better not to name where the leak is?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

some kinda jackal posted:

Does Russia have a Great Wall equivalent or are they just super centralized at the ISP level that they blackhole IP/AS?

E: Threatening to block wikipedia, blocking access to the indipendent news sites etc.

They are going that way, but not really. The Chinese have been helping Russians to build their own firewall, but Russians are sceptical of Chinese infrastructure, for obvious reasons.

In reality, all ISPs are required to install special hardware, controlled remotely by authorities. It does DPI, blacklisting, and a few other things - but in general, Russian internet censorship is blacklist-based, rather than whitelist-based.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

some kinda jackal posted:

I mean they got Roskomnadzor - which basically is a government censor institution for media and IT. So I guess if you don't block domains, there's some guys knocking at your office and losing your telecom license.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ravenkult posted:

I don't see how Russia survives this economically for the war to last that long.

Yeah they're also literally denying that the war is even happening, not just to the Russian people, but even to the soldiers fighting in it. You can only keep that up for so long.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah they're also literally denying that the war is even happening, not just to the Russian people, but even to the soldiers fighting in it. You can only keep that up for so long.

"Ok, go into this place that isn't Russia, capture this building, and kill people. But it's totes not a war you guys"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ravenkult posted:

Can they even manufacture weapons to drag this out for 1 year after basically the entire world cut them off? Taiwan and South Korea aren't sending them semiconductor parts anymore, no raw materials from the EU, and China looks to treat them more like North Korea, in that they will maintain a tenuous business relationship with them, but nothing that might draw too much ire from the international community.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

kaaj posted:

Sounds like a fabrication in an attempt to get Putin to doubt the FSB, maybe?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

kaaj posted:

You could also misdirect where the leak is, to stoke internal paranoia regarding the FSB. Smart.

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

ryde posted:

This tweet had a zoom-in on that map that Lukashenka showed:

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1498674777032114184/photo/1

Is one of those red troop movement areas moving into Moldova?

Technically stopping on the border or 1 pixel into Moldova

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don’t think they mean it being a phase of war like it is right now. They probably mean most of the years being like how the last 8 were like with the separatists regions.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kaaj posted:

Yes, for this exact reason... https://twitter.com/zachsdorfman/status/1498806411114860544?s=20&t=MHjeWuH389mhnkuDKCVEdg

Putin is so paranoid that he'll have his precious FSB eat itself to find the traitors, whether or not they exist.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

An old British man with thick glasses is visiting Putin's daughter at an insane asylum in Switzerland right now.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/1498809357349408776?t=VxfHP-P3HmPqXbVh76Xe7g&s=19

Russian airlines are going to have to completely redraw all their routes.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

An old British man with thick glasses is visiting Putin's daughter at an insane asylum in Switzerland right now.

Is this news, or beatnik poetry?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rah! posted:

The highway of death was in Kuwait, not Iraq. It was a massacre of retreating enemies, inside of the country that they had invaded.

There was a second, lesser event given that appellation when IS fighters in a convoy 200 vehicles strong were decimated by US and Iraqi security forces, killing at least 250 fighters. It's not the better known one, but for the age of many of us the Iraq one is more likely to be remembered. For example, I was only three years old when the original occurred.

kaaj posted:

It may not even be true, if it isn't it's a genius psyop. Every piece of information you claim to have should 'come' from Russian dissenters within the armed forces. It's a fabulous way to trigger more dissent and disharmony.

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems they did hack a nuclear reactor, though. Goons saying "it's just the status page" and "a meltdown won't be that bad, it's just a research reactor after all!" without any actual knowledge is very typical SA posting.

No, your responses are typical SA posting. The people you're attaching, who included physicists and people who had worked with similar reactors, were entirely right.

Have you ever made a good post, that really contributed to a discussion? In your entire history?

Just because you don't know jack about poo poo, don't assume the same is true of everyone else. I only noticed your account for the first time like two or three days ago and you're already the worst somehow... why not ponder that.

mdemone posted:

It does sort of seem like everyone just really was waiting for an unarguable reason to dunk on Russia. Like they've really been asking for it, for some time now, but everyone else wanted to play nice and keep making money.

This is pretty much exactly it. The west has known Russia was a problem for a LONG, long time. And has wanted to do something about it for a long time, but without stirring the pot too much. The invasions, the assassinations, the cyberattacks, the misinformation; in their way Russia has been at war for decades now, at war against the entire concept of democracy, NATO, and 'the west'.

But everyone has had enough, this is too blatant, too evil, too much a provocation. Now a line has been crossed, and I'm pretty sure Putin was not aware this would happen and figured it would go just like all his other military actions.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Okay -- I really don't feel like arguing with an entire thread about why I don't believe Putin is about to go on a binge of ethnic cleansing. If that's the mainstream view then this is gonna go nowhere and I'll just concede the argument.

Destroying a country's culture, its prospects, its future... this is a form of ethnic cleansing. Not to mention that people already have and will be murdered, and now we're hearing reports of lists of people to imprison or execute.

spacetoaster posted:

Here's one saying 62% of Americans think we should be doing "more". Whatever that means.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docum...military-action

The American public has always been ignorantly blase about approving wars. And I understand how they feel but in this instance, I don't think Biden gives a gently caress what the American public think. There is no way he will risk a massive land war in Europe, and he has played this about as well as I could've asked. He's won a tiny amount of approval from me because he's done exactly what, in my opinion, he should've. He's said the right things, he's let Europe take the lead, he's used American intelligence to positive effect, he's giving the Ukrainians a chance through his warnings, and he's continued the military and other aid to Ukraine that has been going on for a while.

But I don't see the US military getting directly involved in this at any point, regardless of what the public may say.

Play fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 2, 2022

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Can they even manufacture weapons to drag this out for 1 year after basically the entire world cut them off? Taiwan and South Korea aren't sending them semiconductor parts anymore, no raw materials from the EU, and China looks to treat them more like North Korea, in that they will maintain a tenuous business relationship with them, but nothing that might draw too much ire from the international community.

Russia is both one of the worlds largest economies and the second largest weapon exporter after the US, and they have spent decades behind an iron curtain before. Aside from that, these sanctions are from the west which aren't in the habit of supplying military grade parts to Russia anyway. They still have a working relationship with plenty of countries, including a bunch of basically client states. Much like the 1990 prequel to this, it's more likely to be the cost of supplying the army rather than the supplies that will be the problem.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

Yeah.

The dude i was responding to said that it occurred in the home country of the fleeing soldiers, and was implying that this fact made it even worse. But it happened in Kuwait, which is the country that those fleeing soldiers had just invaded. I agree it was not a good thing to do.

Fair enough and apologies if my response came off as aggressive.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/1498809357349408776?t=VxfHP-P3HmPqXbVh76Xe7g&s=19

Not only redraw, they're going to have to slash their routes to a huge extent This will devastate these airlines, which before this primarily served the exact areas they are banned from serving now.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
This conflict is the most obvious rapid downward spiral ever. How long before the Russians declare all Ukrainian resistors terrorists, and level entire apartment buildings left & right if they even suspect there's a single fighter there?

This is why I want to rush weapons into Ukraine ASAP. Because the Ukrainian people are going to fight - this descending into a horrible slaughter can't really be avoided. The question is whether we give them a fighting chance or not. It seems better to help them fight, and try to break the will of the Russian military, which seems fragile, like the Iranians broke the Iraqi army's will in 1980's.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

It's le Carre

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Do we have any confirmed reports that the wehrmacht SS convoy or 800 vehicles was actually destroyed

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

William Bear posted:

Whenever there’s a reference I don’t understand, I assume it’s from a video game.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

In a similar vein, it always astounds me how many goons suddenly become military experts in threads like these. And strangely, it seems to be mostly about attack helicopters.

Anyhoo, I'm mostly here because this thread is a convenient way to check up on what's happening so I usually scroll through until I see a tweet pop up.

I mean, there are plenty of goons who are just wargame or history nerds, but also several in this thread who are military, ex-military, or military historians.

Also lawyers and medics of various kinds. It helps to figure out who the actual experts are and browse through their posts.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Play posted:

Not only redraw, they're going to have to slash their routes to a huge extent This will devastate these airlines, which before this primarily served the exact areas they are banned from serving now.

That too.

I was thinking of this picture from earlier.

https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1498748699958198277?t=jbiwmnnWunKWCdN_t1Wc2g&s=19

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sorry, wrong thread.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If "we found out your plans from your most trusted intelligence officials :smug:" is a ploy that random goons and twitter users can see through instantly, I can't imagine that it would be that effective.

That said, Putin is probably already the maximum amount of paranoid about literally everyone, judging from how he meets with people.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Yeah this is why Ukraine is going to hold for as long as they possibly can. Surrendering to Russia is basically accepting (ironically) a Nazi like take over of the region, and the loss of every significant public intellectual, influential cultural figure, or group of people willing to stand up against a complete and utter tyrant, along with the unthinkable persecution of anything Putin considers "undesirable" such as the LGBT community or anyone who rejects his deranged vision. The options unfortunately seem to be to flee, to fight, or to accept nightmarish totalitarian control. Putin did a terrible job of the propaganda side of this conflict, removing any doubt in the minds of the Ukrainian population and most of the world that surrendering to him would result in unthinkable suffering.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Dante posted:

Russia is both one of the worlds largest economies and the second largest weapon exporter after the US, and they have spent decades behind an iron curtain before. Aside from that, these sanctions are from the west which aren't in the habit of supplying military grade parts to Russia anyway. They still have a working relationship with plenty of countries, including a bunch of basically client states. Much like the 1990 prequel to this, it's more likely to be the cost of supplying the army rather than the supplies that will be the problem.

I don't know if I'd say that Russia is one of the world's largest economies. To me, "one of the largest" means top 3 or top 5 maybe. According to Wikipedia, it's in the 11th spot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal).

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Well seems like reality is setting in in Russia. Though this job sounds impossible

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1498817237565779970?t=iIx2UmRnqjWAT3K0gpHoKg&s=19

Original source is the Twitter of Moscow News

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Poor fellow is turning over in his grave at being unable to write about this.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mellow Seas posted:

If "we found out your plans from your most trusted intelligence officials :smug:" is a ploy that random goons and twitter users can see through instantly, I can't imagine that it would be that effective.

That said, Putin is probably already the maximum amount of paranoid about literally everyone, judging from how he meets with people.

It doesn't really matter too much because any competent agency is still going to have to take it somewhat seriously and make sure there are no leaks or whatever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean, it COULD easily be true. You just don't know. Which is why its effective, even if it introduced only the tiniest sliver of doubt.

Or if it is literally true.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Do we have any confirmed reports that the wehrmacht SS convoy or 800 vehicles was actually destroyed

No.

There were reports it was attacked to some extent, and its movement has been static for a while now. I think that's all we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"Ok, go into this place that isn't Russia, capture this building, and kill people. But it's totes not a war you guys"

I mean, fog of war and all, but there have been a lot of reports of soldiers not being told until a day before about the plan to invade, or being told that Zelensky had already surrendered and they were just going in to secure Kyiv, or that they were just going on a training exercise. So it's almost literally that.