Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

sweet geek swag posted:

There is exactly on battle like this in the Harry Potter books, and it only happens because Harry and Voldemort's wands use feathers from the same Phoenix. After Harry wins that duel Voldemort's wand stops working against Harry, and you have some scenes where that happens, but DBZ style beam clashes are just not a thing that commonly happens in the books and are in fact a result of the creators of the movies not having any better ideas of how to show magic on screen. Rowling wasn't very good at describing magical combat in any case, and most of her combat involves inexperienced children so it isn't a good sample to begin with.

All magic should work like in Warhammer where even if they're just shooting blasts at each other it still makes stuff like blood starts seeping from cracks in the air or a bystander grows a second mouth that won't stop screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

precision posted:

i was flipping channels and saw about 5 minutes of Cry Macho

the scene, broadly, concerned Eastwood, a Latino youth, and a Latino cop... it was a "not all white guys are bad" sort of thing... it was... quite bad

See, also: Gran Torino

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

runnypoops posted:

Just finished the Righteous Gemstones it rules and is the best thing Hill/McBride have ever done

When I first saw the show, part of me wanted it to be a bit more realistic. I wanted something that was a sharper skewer of the megachurch scene*, but there were things happening in the show that were just completely out of place. Like, the amount of cursing that the Gemstones do in public (especially around their father) ruined my immersion initially. But eventually I got accustomed to the elevated reality of the whole thing, and by the end of the first season I was hooked. Then the second season managed to top the first in virtually every way.

*The 2021 Eyes of Tammy Faye movie eventually fulfilled that desire.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

infernal machines posted:

Between Mule and Cry Macho, it seems like Eastwood is basically making movies that are rebuttals to his kids telling him that he's too old to keep driving.

Whoever showed Scott Eastwood The Golden Road has a lot to answer for.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gripweed posted:

All magic should work like in Warhammer where even if they're just shooting blasts at each other it still makes stuff like blood starts seeping from cracks in the air or a bystander grows a second mouth that won't stop screaming.

Can confirm this would make Harry Potter way better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Warhammer magic would also have demons occasionally pop out and drag people to hell.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I just went through The Righteous Gemstones last week and thought episode 8 was the finale. Looks like I got a whole new episode to watch! :catholic:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

If I'm being honest I don't actually think Scanners is a great movie, but I do like its version of (what are esssentially) wizard duels

first is the iconic head explosion scene, not really a duel, while the second is the final battle which I think fits the bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI3NoBeNwfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqDmKeFc6Ns&t=184s

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they were never and still have never been gay in the films, it’s JK Rowling retcon bullshit to appear woke. unless I’ve blanked it from my brain, there’s been absolutely zero explicit text in the films about it

https://youtu.be/LKxpwlKRQ2U

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they wrote a big enough number finally

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1498780385899077636?s=20&t=pZ4hloRXbjBqhMiUTrFn9g

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Good for him.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Missed the poirot chat but seems appropriate

https://twitter.com/AerialShading/status/1498715293215903745

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Nigmaetcetera posted:

When I was a kid I saw a movie that traumatized me where British soldiers forced African women and children down a cliff using Maxim guns. Anybody know what movie that might have been? I thought it might have been Zulu but the Wikipedia article on it didn’t mention this specific form of war crime. I’m asking this thread cause y’all are the movie smartest.

From a few pages ago, but there is a scene much like this in Quigley Down Under. No maxim guns, I think, but the rest matches up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

The Mule had a really bad scene where cops pull over a minority and isn't it hilarious that the man was scared he might get shot by these white cops

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I haven't watched any post-9/11 Eastwood movies because my top 20 of all time has TGTB&TU at #2 and Unforgiven somewhere around #15, and I don't want them tarnished by his insane right wing bullshit.

See also: Road Warrior at #5 and me blissfully knowing that Mel Gibson died in a plane crash in 1998 inside my mind palace

Please don't deny the existence of Apocalypto

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cacator posted:

Please don't deny the existence of Apocalypto

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Did they pay the writers enough not to suck?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Randarkman posted:

If I'm being honest I don't actually think Scanners is a great movie

what

the

gently caress

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

What do you think is the better show and/or comedy: Righteous Gemstones or What We Do in the Shadows?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

precision posted:

what

the

gently caress

I think the middle of it drags and there's too little interesting happening, but the movie does contain two of the greatest scenes in any movie ever. I wouldn't think this is controversial. Not great does not equal bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lister posted:

What do you think is the better show and/or comedy: Righteous Gemstones or What We Do in the Shadows?

I’m not a mcbride fan and a huge clements/waititi/NZ comedy in general fan so I’m hopelessly biased on that one!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lister posted:

One is about a bunch of bloodsuckers and the other has matt berry

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Randarkman posted:

I think the middle of it drags and there's too little interesting happening, but the movie does contain two of the greatest scenes in any movie ever. I wouldn't think this is controversial. Not great does not equal bad.

thank you for clarifying that you at least think it is good. i was starting to hyperventilate

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Lister posted:

Definitely What We Do in the Shadows.

I didn't like the last two episodes of Gemstones. Pacing/editing got all funky, like they had too much show and had to wrap it up.

Also, Eric Andre... just not good enough of an actor to pull that poo poo off.

Toilet baby was loving putrid, too. I gagged.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Gran Torino was like the ultimate in grumpy old man going “ugh, millennials” movie and I can’t help but love it

It’s like Clint Eastwood reached into my very soul

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I watched scanners. No complaints.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Gutcruncher posted:

Gran Torino was like the ultimate in grumpy old man going “ugh, millennials” movie and I can’t help but love it

It’s like Clint Eastwood reached into my very soul

saw Grab Torino in the theater with my Dad. it's the only way to see it. we also sat there and listened to the whole song at the end

I liked it

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
scanners has the misfortune of starring the most lifeless lead actor in existence. put literally anyone else in that role and it's enjoyability gets a huge bump

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I will agree that As much as i love Eric Andre he doesn’t have the acting chops for that character. Toilet baby ruled and was a great character moment for Baby Billy. Can any one speak on Vice Principals? Need my Mcbride fix and already seen Eastbound and Down.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

runnypoops posted:

I will agree that As much as i love Eric Andre he doesn’t have the acting chops for that character. Toilet baby ruled and was a great character moment for Baby Billy. Can any one speak on Vice Principals? Need my Mcbride fix and already seen Eastbound and Down.

I watched one episode of Vice Principals and bailed, but I also didn’t make it 10mins into Eastbound and Down, so I may just not be into Danny McBride.

I checked both out after season 1 of Gemstones ended. Something about season 1 just pushed all my buttons, but I’m not so into anything else. :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

runnypoops posted:

I loved Vice Principals, a lot. It really goes places too if you keep with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the vice principals LSD episode lmao

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

runnypoops posted:

The Foot Fist Way (Hulu), Vice Principals (HBO), and The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter (Netflix).

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
am I late to the party marveling at The Batman being 3 loving hours long?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

How else could they properly tell his origin story?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Apparenty they don't?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

2 hours 45 minutes of the Waynes being murdered in an alleyway, 15 minutes of Bazooka Joe riddles

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TheSwizzler posted:

Spider-Man no way home and infinity war were nearly two and a half hrs long each. end game was three. Snyder cut was loving four.

yeah you're drat late buddy

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

poisonpill posted:

Three hours of pearls falling in slow motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm trying to think of over-two-hour-runtime films that feel less. off the top of my head, matrix 1 was 2:15, pirates of the Caribbean 1 was 2:20, dunc was 2:35, all of them use their time so efficiently and are so engaging the time just flies by. the first two in particular feel like 90 minute movies in my memory

comic book films have no respect for a good edit. they mimic their audience: bloated, ugly, indulgent to a fault, no respect for good film making