Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kinda funny to lead with lack of protections for workers given how the two countries just handled COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

hobbesmaster posted:

How self sufficient is China? I know they import a lot of food from the US. While obviously they trade balance is far in China’s favor you can’t eat industrial products.

I suspect that China will be working overtime to become more independent of the West in terms of the financial/banking system, creating stronger ties with Russia, Pakistan, hell maybe India, etc. Probably improving the SWIFT alternative (China and Russia have one) and creating a joint one. This is a wake up call that you can't do what you think is necessary while depending on that system so much.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mortons stork posted:

Lol what an excellent precedent to set for international relations, not at all alarming

Globalism is eating itself alive

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i finished the Deng biography

i wish to know more about china from the mid 80s on

what should i read

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

When are the commies gonna take power back in Russia? Bc I think that'd really spice things up

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So are they going to ask India / UAE / Saudi Arabia / Ethiopia to stop being openly fascist or

Like if I was china I would genuinely be insulted at being involved in this group with actual genuine fascist country India

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

SorePotato posted:

When are the commies gonna take power back in Russia? Bc I think that'd really spice things up

Maybe the CPRF legislators who are now denouncing the war can steer the Russian antiwar movement against the government and seize control

https://twitter.com/CPBritain/status/1497605591115698185

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

SorePotato posted:

Russian commies have a precedent for taking power during war and pulling them out :hmmyes:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

been very stressed the last week, as im sure we all have been, and YouTube was kind enough to randomly recommend this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_jxP5ENCws

Very relaxing to see a guy assemble a "terrible" model with more skill than I will ever possess in any hobby or profession in my life. Hope someone else enjoys it as much as I have

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been very stressed the last week, as im sure we all have been, and YouTube was kind enough to randomly recommend this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_jxP5ENCws

Very relaxing to see a guy assemble a "terrible" model with more skill than I will ever possess in any hobby or profession in my life. Hope someone else enjoys it as much as I have

*D&Dishly* matches the quality of the real thing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
makes sense, revell’s quality control is hilariously terrible

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

makes sense, revell’s quality control is hilariously terrible

the spaghetti tracks that need to be warmed in water before they are bent into place made me laugh

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It would be funny as poo poo to see putin get toppled by a communist revolution to see all the libs shriek about how putin was bad but this is worse!!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

It would be funny as poo poo to see putin get toppled by a communist revolution to see all the libs shriek about how putin was bad but this is worse!!
This is hell world so I am going to assume if anyone topless Putin it's going to be an outright Nazi and libs will clap and cheer.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

🙏

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

inşallah

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

time to gear up and invade like it's 1919 again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

So are they going to ask India / UAE / Saudi Arabia / Ethiopia to stop being openly fascist or

Like if I was china I would genuinely be insulted at being involved in this group with actual genuine fascist country India

You're reading it too literally. The Russians are referring to what they see as a "globofascism" where the First World uses economic warfare to force everyone to be liberal democracies and meddle in their internal affairs.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Grapplejack posted:

Modi still does your regular run of the mill indian stuff about doing succdem stuff and talking about secularism.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're reading it too literally. The Russians are referring to what they see as a "globofascism" where the First World uses economic warfare to force everyone to be liberal democracies and meddle in their internal affairs.

Modi came to power riding on a wave of bullshit media attention by corporate news channels that have western stakes in them. India is well integrated into the libdem order with the biggest issue being that modi isn't selling off state assets fast enough.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

can someone explain this to me in lotr or harry potter terms

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is like when saruman used the palantir to communicate with sauron and devise a plan for world domination with the orcs and uruk hai

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

voldemort (putin) has sent up the dark mark sign

this means that all the other death eaters (anti-western nations) will feel it in their cursed marks and have to respond

this includes bellatrix lestrange (china), lucius malfoy (india), peter pettigrew (pakistan), severus snape (saudi arabia) and fenrir greyback (werewolves)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

redneck nazgul posted:

this means that all the other death eaters (anti-western nations) will feel it in their cursed marks and have to respond

this includes bellatrix lestrange (china), lucius malfoy (india), peter pettigrew (pakistan), severus snape (saudi arabia) and fenrir greyback (werewolves)

trap sprung

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Trap SPRUNG

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is the nine nazgul (ringwraiths) being summoned.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is like when saruman used the palantir to communicate with sauron and devise a plan for world domination with the orcs and uruk hai

redneck nazgul posted:

Tankbuster posted:

This is the nine nazgul (ringwraiths) being summoned.

thank you

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Whalecum xD

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

SorePotato posted:

https://twitter.com/yeasty_commie/status/1291298519568048128

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

redneck nazgul posted:

lmfao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

jam this person and wasbappin' in a turbine and you could have limitless energy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

uber_stoat posted:

jam this person and wasbappin' in a turbine and you could have limitless energy.

not even the laws of thermodynamics can stand up to posting of that magnitude

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

Modi came to power riding on a wave of bullshit media attention by corporate news channels that have western stakes in them. India is well integrated into the libdem order with the biggest issue being that modi isn't selling off state assets fast enough.

I posted it earlier, but the Indian-Russian alignment might be because the two countries share a ton of military hardware more than anything else: https://www.airuniversity.af.edu/JIPA/Display/Article/2473328/the-influence-of-arms-explaining-the-durability-of-indiarussia-alignment/

I don't know enough about the subject to say if it's correct, but it's an interesting explanation.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Russia is throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks. They need as many countries as they can get to restore a "2nd World" that can counteract First World domination. It doesn't really matter if India accepts the invitation or not, a lot of other states will be interested.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dreylad posted:

I posted it earlier, but the Indian-Russian alignment might be because the two countries share a ton of military hardware more than anything else: https://www.airuniversity.af.edu/JIPA/Display/Article/2473328/the-influence-of-arms-explaining-the-durability-of-indiarussia-alignment/

I don't know enough about the subject to say if it's correct, but it's an interesting explanation.

It's really overly simplistic. India also gets a ton of fertilizer from Russia. There's a lot of Indian students that go to Russia. India brought French and Russian nuclear reactors after the 2008 nuclear deal and left the americans out cold. Westinghouse for instance wanted a big contract.

The MMRCA competition was explicitly designed to phase out Soviet Mig 21s for more modern fighters and because the large Mig fleet India had built up under Rajiv Gandhi had lost it's part suppliers after the USSR collapsed. If anything India started diversifying it's military supplies after the admiral gorshkov fiasco leaked to the press and russian industry really wasn't up to par with what the USSR had. The Indian army happily stalled the development of major indigenous industrial expertise by not ordering enough Arjun MBTs and opting for more T-90s instead. Now there have been attempts to diversify. A lot of israeli tech has been added after a bunch of Soviet scientists moved there post collapse. American equipment has been brought or leased, but the base of the army is still based around the huge modernizing spree that India went on in the 1980s under the Indira and Rajiv Gandhi governments.

Modi is the most pro US government India has ever had and even he with all his autocratic control over bureaucracy and the legislature can't remotely go fast enough to delink from Russia because there's a lot of stuff Russia supplies to India at better rates than the west.

As of this crisis, the Indian government and chinese government's diplomatic moves have been the essentially the same. Calling for a peaceful negotiation and abstaining from votes. If anything the fertilizer shortage and requirement of petroleum products will push India closer to Russia because modi hosed up the Manmohan Singh's sweetheart deal with Iran with regards to oil.

Oh and the article being written from an american perspective glosses over significantly divergent desires of earlier indian governments from their american counterparts or what role government should continue to play in the economic sphere. Its wrong about space technology because the US almost immediately blocked that post USSR collapse and India had to develop it's own space tech and missile research, leading to among other things the development of a nationwide GPS like system after the Kargil war.

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Mar 2, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

What's the reaction been in India that you've seen to Indian students in Ukraine being denied evacuation?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

inshallah

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
looks like the Chinese evacuated about 1500 of their citizens to Poland, the Chinese ambassador to Ukraine accompanied them the entire way

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

It's really overly simplistic.

Good to know, thanks for the extra context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TibetCollective/status/1498522346944020481
https://mobile.twitter.com/TibetCollective/status/1498523883535626240