Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

El Mero Mero: That line of logic is the same one used by Vidkun Quisling.

Go tongue a cops boot if you love pacifism so much. Some things are worth dying for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, the excuse of reuniting ethnic language speakers as a justification for a land war in Europe was last used by Adolf loving Hitler, and this is literally the only time when I don't think the Godwin's Law applies because again - land war in Europe.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s lions nature for them to eat others. The slave already let himself become a slave so it’s his role to feed the lion.

gently caress Russia.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The slave should just give up and avoid further bloodshed

Sovereignty is *such* a burden. They're really better off being vassals.

:jerkbag:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

El Mero Mero posted:

Yelling at people because they aren't supporting the slave in the lion vs slave gladiator competition kinda misses the point of the criticism.

:chloe:

quote:

I live in a small town in Montana and my extremely lib neighbor has a Ukrainian flag in his window. I'm going to throw a rock thru it

Nah seriously, gently caress these people.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, the excuse of reuniting ethnic language speakers as a justification for a land war in Europe was last used by Adolf loving Hitler, and this is literally the only time when I don't think the Godwin's Law applies because again - land war in Europe.

Also claiming people and countries never really existed is also the domain of the Nazis.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

El Mero Mero posted:

It's not rooting, it's a mix of doomposting, pointing out that there's a massive power asymmetry, regardless of how well things look right now, and criticism of participating in war rhetoric.

The fall of kiev or even the complete levelling of it remains a likely/very highly possible tragic outcome and "rah-rah you can beat them" rhetoric is sick in that context.

Yelling at people because they aren't supporting the slave in the lion vs slave gladiator competition kinda misses the point of the criticism.

1) the lion is there willingly, having manufactured this scenario. The slave is not.

2) the slave gets eaten either way, laying down won't mitigate the suffering.

3) the slave can inflict enough damage that the lion won't survive or won't be able to digest its meal.

4) if you aren't supporting the slave and looking to thwart the lion because esoteric argument, you should spend some time in quiet self reflection while you pull your head out of your rear end

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

um. so to clarify, since it clearly needs to be said? Putin can go gently caress himself and the Ukrainians are clearly correct and right to be defending themselves in a war of aggression that's being released on them and they shouldn't surrender and allow themselves to be conquered. They are also very brave and doing better than anyone expected in defending themselves, which is A Good Thing.

I never said they should surrender. I said that a negotiated outcome should be what people are screaming for, rather than blood.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

El Mero Mero posted:

I've played the russians in enough video games now to know that seemingly unreasonable lopsided losses of disposable troops and tanks are a core character feature. They're basically the zerglings in every single game ever.

Not sure why this well known fact isn't showing up more frequently in sober checkmark twitter analyst discussions.

lol just joking about conscripts being murdered by their incompetent government. Another victim of CSPAM brain.

Edit: lol get the gently caress out of here with that faux concern for human lives nonsense. You can't tell people that they're cheering for the wrong outcome while comparing actual deaths to your favorite RTS you clown

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol just joking about conscripts being murdered by their incompetent government. Another victim of CSPAM brain.

sounds like you love russians

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

El Mero Mero posted:

It's not rooting, it's a mix of doomposting, pointing out that there's a massive power asymmetry, regardless of how well things look right now, and criticism of participating in war rhetoric.

The fall of kiev or even the complete levelling of it remains a likely/very highly possible tragic outcome and "rah-rah you can beat them" rhetoric is sick in that context.

Kindly shut the hell up with whatever loving idiocracy you are leaking into this thread.

Edit - To be clear, I didn't dish out a 6er for your dumb take (although it's pretty stupid). I gave you a 6er for doubling down and shitposting when you were rightly called out.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 2, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hekk posted:

Kindly shut the hell up with whatever loving idiocracy you are leaking into this thread.

Ily hekk <3

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
"Negotiate this Javelin up your loving rear end Putin"
- Ukraine

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have no military knowledge. How ridiculous is the Russian loss of equipment up to this point? I don't have anything to compare it to, so I have no sense of the order of magnitude.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have no military knowledge. How ridiculous is the Russian loss of equipment up to this point? I don't have anything to compare it to, so I have no sense of the order of magnitude.

Ridiculous.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
haste makes waste, and they're russian, so

:dadjoke:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Negotiated settlement:

Russia goes back to its 2014 borders, and in exchange…

Nah I really don’t see how there’s a negotiated settlement possible here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's wild, and even if the casualty figures are 50% overinflated, it's already running a close second place to the 20 years long count of the US during Iraq/Afghanistan. If the casualty figures are anywhere close to accurate, then it's already outstripped GWOT.

E: actually, no I was wrong. If you count all US troop KIA/MIA in Iraq and Afghanistan, you get 6,832. Russia isn't there yet, but they're getting a pretty brisk start.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 2, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes.

The expectation by pretty much everyone was that the Russians would Cakewalk into Ukraine and would have their win in less than a week, yet here we are.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's wild and it lends credence to the theory that the reason why things are happening the way they are is because the Minister of Defense got replaced a few years ago with a useless yes man and Putin did not expect and/or know how to prepare and execute an actual war rather than a one sided beating of a tiny state with overwhelming power.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's the thing: none of us really have a scale to compare to. Javelins haven't seen this level of use ever, although they were used in a few battles in Iraq (notably Debecka Pass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Debecka_Pass). Even then, US SOF only fired about 20 of them, iirc.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Russian losses up to this point are impressive. If half of what we are hearing is true, it would be impressive.

I don't think I have seen a military fail this badly before.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Negotiated settlement:

Russia goes back to its 2014 borders, and in exchange…

Nah I really don’t see how there’s a negotiated settlement possible here.

Its a bad faith argument. It makes even less sense with the lion and slave analogy, like saying the slave should be negotiating instead of fighting, like the lion gives a gently caress about having a chat.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 2, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
In less than a week Putin has single-handedly shown the world that main battle tanks truly are the “battleships of the land”, in that they can be killed a couple dudes with a missile launcher less than a tenth of the cost of the now smouldering husk they fired at.

I can’t imagine he’s pleased about this.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wikipedia quotes the allies as taking 10,000 casualties (of which 4,414 died) and losing 185 M4 Sherman tanks on D-day. I also have no military knowledge beyond videogames, but the fact that Russian losses (granted, those reported by the other side, which are definitely inflated) appear to be approaching D-day levels after less than a week is... unthinkable.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

In less than a week Putin has single-handedly shown the world that main battle tanks truly are the “battleships of the land”, in that they can be killed a couple dudes with a missile launcher less than a tenth of the cost of the now smouldering husk they fired at.

I can’t imagine he’s pleased about this.

There's about to be a whole bunch of money shoveled into further APS R&D, isn't there?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm gonna use this website for the numbers I'll be discussing: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1293424/russia-s-loss-in-the-war-in-ukraine-by-type/

It looks like it's using the Ukrainian reports of casualties, so take it with a huge grain of salt. At the top of the list you'll see that they are claiming that there have been nearly 6000 russian troop's KIA so far. To give you a sense of scale, approximately 4,414 Allied soldiers died on D-Day. Of those 4414, 2501 were Americans. So at this point, even if you were to assume that Ukraine has been doubling their KIA count, Russia has suffered losses close to one of the bloodiest days of WWII.

edit: drat, too slow on the draw.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

NJersey posted:

- Ukraine

*looks down at control unit*

Which fire mode is that, exactly?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

Top attack probably, want to get some elevation first.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Does the javelin have enough range to cross the table?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does the javelin have enough range to cross the table?

Max range is ~2km...so maybe?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

NJersey posted:

- Ukraine

madeintaipei posted:

orange juche posted:

Top attack probably, want to get some elevation first.

Sounds like more of a bottom attack.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I'm sure those numbers are somewhat inflated (it's hard enough to get an accurate friendly BDA sometimes) but the large amount of video evidence we've seen makes it pretty clear that they're not having a happy invasion.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1498804403658178563

War is the mother of ingenuity.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

G04-ts3

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1498814065786953730
https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1498813943749672962
https://twitter.com/cepa/status/1498795218124083203
https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1498782876887826435?s=21
https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1498799602040029191?s=21
https://twitter.com/observingjapan/status/1498726397686259713

Also seeing some interesting talk online from folks familiar with the climate and terrain: part of Russia's difficulty advancing, in particular the near-total lack of cross-country mobility, seems to be because Russia is getting stuck in the Chernobog. It was apparently a rather mild winter in Ukraine, and the spring thaw is here. Which means thick, deep mud that armored vehicles are getting stuck in.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1498746787963850755?t=O00hQAjfdKKl21Tt8y3mQA&s=19
https://twitter.com/NewVoiceUkraine/status/1497920770474917890

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Biden says he's sending US troops to defend NATO, not the Ukraine. So what happens if Ukraine is admitted to NATO, under urgency?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Well that's drat ominous.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Biden says he's sending US troops to defend NATO, not the Ukraine. So what happens if Ukraine is admitted to NATO, under urgency?

They won't be, as part of the thing to being welcomed into NATO is solving border disputes first.

Did you mean the EU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/Makedon_Akritas/status/1498771772119867397?t=-1Wh_oiW5BQeXjknSbEBfA&s=19