Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

cephf sounds like it has a superfluous f sound for no other reason but to have a superfluous f sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

cephf sounds like it has a superfluous f sound for no other reason but to have a superfluous f sound.

:hmmyes:

Escape From Noise

I think it might be time for me to leave the brewing industry. I gave it a try but I couldn't make it work. I could always teach English, but maybe I can find something else.

xcheopis

Escape From Noise posted:

I think it might be time for me to leave the brewing industry. I gave it a try but I couldn't make it work. I could always teach English, but maybe I can find something else.

I'm sorry things don't seem to be working out.

Ass-penny

Not trying to work on opening your own place anymopre? It might take time but I think it's worth pursuing if you've already been wanting it.

Escape From Noise

I don't know. I'm burnt out. Even if I open my own place that'd take at least two years. I need to do something in the meantime.

Escape From Noise

This job has been a major factor in my depression, but that's been the case more than once.

Ass-penny

I get that. I have my own battle with depression and finding a job I didn't hate was a long arduous process. I backslid into the food industry again, but you're actually looking a chance to build something of your own. It will be another battle, but the rewards you stand to reap sound enticing. Keep swinging EFN!

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

I'm just burnt out and don't really know what to do. Just feel like everything fell apart two and a half years ago and since then I've been hitting nothing but brick walls.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

I'm just burnt out and don't really know what to do. Just feel like everything fell apart two and a half years ago and since then I've been hitting nothing but brick walls.

Nothing wrong with taking a break to recharge, especially if you're really not feeling it right now. Just make sure you've got the bills covered, and IMO also use the time to work out which direction you want to try next.

Life is an ongoing learning experience, and sometimes the lesson is "this was not the right time to try that thing", but that should not be a permanent discouragement. Beer is cool and good and we need more brewers that aren't AB InBev IMO :cheers:

Full disclosure: I'm a computer toucher by trade so my brewing opinions are just that, purely opinion

Escape From Noise

For some reason the mash tun took like 50 minutes to hit a temperature rest so I'm behind schedule. Gonna be a fairly long day...

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

Nothing wrong with taking a break to recharge, especially if you're really not feeling it right now. Just make sure you've got the bills covered, and IMO also use the time to work out which direction you want to try next.

Life is an ongoing learning experience, and sometimes the lesson is "this was not the right time to try that thing", but that should not be a permanent discouragement. Beer is cool and good and we need more brewers that aren't AB InBev IMO :cheers:

Full disclosure: I'm a computer toucher by trade so my brewing opinions are just that, purely opinion

Yeah.. I'm not sure. I suck at office work but manual labor is bullshit pay.

Escape From Noise

For some reason the mash tun took like 50 minutes to hit a temperature rest so I'm behind schedule. Gonna be a fairly long day...

Today went a little longer but I'll just do cleaning tomorrow. Actually hit just slightly above target gravity (1.068 instead of the target 1.067) with the same amount of malt as the last time I made it and hit a bit below target. I think I did a better job with the grind. That honestly felt pretty good. Small victories.

Farecoal

There he go
PSYCHO byob poster PROUD of creating POISON SUBSTANCES by MANIPULATING GRAVITY

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Speaking of burned out, I was supposed to visit a construction site this week for an industrial plant that is replacing one that burned down a few years ago. My trip got cancelled at the last minute because the replacement facility had a fire. At least it didn't sink into a swamp.

Escape From Noise

It's weird that brew day made me happy, even though it's tiring work. Why do I do this to myself?

Escape From Noise

Accidentally got some nitric acid in my HLT so now I have to dump and refill my loving HLT for rince water. Fuuuuuuuuck!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
it owns being dead tired all day and then being wide awake when it's finally time to go to sleep and then waking up an hour too early before work

time to get accosted by dummies

Farecoal

There he go

Accidentally got some nitric acid in my HLT so now I have to dump and refill my loving HLT for rince water. Fuuuuuuuuck!

Have you considered making a "Memes for brewers" page on Facebook. It won't make you any money but it'll give you that sweet clout!!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i slapped my boss across the face today.

with $3000 in cash.

i mused aloud how it would be satisfying to smack someone with the fat stack of bills i had just counted and he actually leaned over, but i think he was still surprised that I did it.

byob, it IS satisfying

Escape From Noise

Farecoal posted:

Have you considered making a "Memes for brewers" page on Facebook. It won't make you any money but it'll give you that sweet clout!!

Facebook and I have parted ways. Industry specific memes are usually very weird to me. Like those forklift operator tshirts.

Ass-penny

Sarah Cenia posted:

i slapped my boss across the face today.

with $3000 in cash.

i mused aloud how it would be satisfying to smack someone with the fat stack of bills i had just counted and he actually leaned over, but i think he was still surprised that I did it.

byob, it IS satisfying

:lmao:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

Gooooooooddddddd I hate dealing with corporate office politics poo poo. I'm always commiting some loving faux pas asking for confirmation or whatever on the group chat because I guess asking about the number of bottles they want makes it look like we're disorganized to the branch head or something? Also they keep telling me to write out the schedule, but I can't because I can't make a schedule on my own because I don't have access to information I need about what's going on with cold storage for packaged product. Running a 500 liter brewhouse with 6 loving tanks does not need to be this complicated.

Ass-penny

Gooooooooddddddd I hate dealing with corporate office politics poo poo. I'm always commiting some loving faux pas asking for confirmation or whatever on the group chat because I guess asking about the number of bottles they want makes it look like we're disorganized to the branch head or something? Also they keep telling me to write out the schedule, but I can't because I can't make a schedule on my own because I don't have access to information I need about what's going on with cold storage for packaged product. Running a 500 liter brewhouse with 6 loving tanks does not need to be this complicated.

have you considered arson?

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

have you considered arson?

Nah. It's just really irritating. Also we're directly under a major train line so that'd be really bad.

Ass-penny

Nah. It's just really irritating. Also we're directly under a major train line so that'd be really bad.

some times bad things need to happen for the monarchy to die

Escape From Noise

Imperial family lives in Tokyo and probably doesn't take the train so often, so they're probably safe.

I had a meeting and I'm cautiously optimistic about poo poo. Looks like I'll finally be able to schedule poo poo out. The loving lack of cold room space is still a major issue though.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm in the office for the first time this year, just for lols. we've been a "remote first" company since before the plague and the office is completely optional but also a cool place to hang out. it's super weird and i'm not getting much done. good for the old mental health though, to get oot and aboot

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Farecoal

There he go

Every goddamn day

Ass-penny

Lol I backslid into the food industry so I could work nights and almost never set an alarm.

Escape From Noise

I turned over and went back to sleep and showed up at like 1. Restaurant manager isn't in and I have maybe half an hour worth of work to do.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Currently debating the merits of arguing with a government employee about how to fill out a standardized form. On the one hand, yes, Susan, you are the only one processing these at this time so you get to call the shots. But on the other hand, the phrasing of the sentence clearly indicates that you should list the name of the current operator, not the operator that initially set up the agreement however many years ago. Yes, the template from DC says "(original operator)" on that line, but that clearly means the original within the context of this transaction! It doesn't matter who filed the thing in the sixties, what matters is that company B acknowledges that they are taking over operatorship from company A at this specific point in time!

She's nice otherwise but I cannot get her to budge on this one point and it's so stupid. I'm leaning towards sending an email and copying her supervisors, but I don't want to piss her off.

cruft

DaChurl posted:

Currently debating the merits of arguing with a government employee about how to fill out a standardized form. On the one hand, yes, Susan, you are the only one processing these at this time so you get to call the shots. But on the other hand, the phrasing of the sentence clearly indicates that you should list the name of the current operator, not the operator that initially set up the agreement however many years ago. Yes, the template from DC says "(original operator)" on that line, but that clearly means the original within the context of this transaction! It doesn't matter who filed the thing in the sixties, what matters is that company B acknowledges that they are taking over operatorship from company A at this specific point in time!

She's nice otherwise but I cannot get her to budge on this one point and it's so stupid. I'm leaning towards sending an email and copying her supervisors, but I don't want to piss her off.

My approach to this sort of situation is usually to get Susan to write down what's supposed to happen, do what she says, and then when the thing jumps the track, resurface her written instructions.

The reason I do it this way is that, in my experience, 75% of the time Susan was right all along, and it avoids me being another pain in the rear end caused by the idiot who made the form 3 years ago and Susan keeps bringing up that it needs to be fixed but nobody will do anything about it.

The other 25% of the time it is glorious smug time for cruft.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

cruft posted:

My approach to this sort of situation is usually to get Susan to write down what's supposed to happen, do what she says, and then when the thing jumps the track, resurface her written instructions.

The reason I do it this way is that, in my experience, 75% of the time Susan was right all along, and it avoids me being another pain in the rear end caused by the idiot who made the form 3 years ago and Susan keeps bringing up that it needs to be fixed but nobody will do anything about it.

The other 25% of the time it is glorious smug time for cruft.

The main thing that gets to me is that I've been filing these forms longer than Susan's been processing them. Also, up until last year, she was approving with the current operator! She just changed up the requirements out of the blue and acted like that's how it's always been.
Jobs are dumb and my job is even dumber because it's nothing but paperwork and can I please just stop working but still have health insurance? That would be great, thanks.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Susan's up to her poo poo again

cruft

Dr. Honked posted:

Susan's up to her poo poo again

drat it, Susan, could you just cut the crap so we can all go home on time for once?

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Today I had to write a lien waiver, as in make one up from scratch, because stupid client requires one but didn't give me the form to fill out. I'm glad I'm not a lawyer. This poo poo sucks. I kind of understand the legal purpose of them, but seriously why bother. We're not going to sue you out of your corporate headquarters over a four-figure sum. And I have to get them notorized, which means a trip to the bank. Notaries are an even stupider thing that exists. Just pay the drat invoice for fucks sake it's pocket change to you and you're just going to rubber stamp it anyways stop wasting my time.

Thank you for your business!

Escape From Noise

Today was the first bottling day so the equipment guy came in to set it up and help run poo poo. All in all it went alright but gently caress it was a long day. We were supposed to do 750 bottles but ended up with 1006 because people were counting from labeled bottles and got it wrong because different people labeled at different times and there were a lot of partially filled cases. People weren't also counting the amount of completed cases correctly. End of the day though, that's my responsibility and I should have explained that clearly or asked about it way earlier. Nobody died or had to go to the hospital and our overall loss was acceptable. Unfortunately, my body is now loving wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
too many bottles is probably better than not enough, i guess :cheersbird: