Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Discendo Vox posted:

This is about as good as it gets:

We could alternately see if Xander77777 is interested in working up a profile.
I don't even have time to update the existing profiles, much less write up new ones.

And if I did, I feel like the utter howling void of nothingness that is Prickly City would take priority. So look forward to that write up some time in 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I can't find any references to a government cryptocurrency at all. The closest I could get was a Biden EO that is in the works regarding regulations and taxation, and a CNBC article on how the IRS sells off seized cryptocurrency like other assets.

Any idea at all what this is about?

Edit: wait, is this about central bank digital currencies?

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 1, 2022

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tibalt posted:

I can't find any references to a government cryptocurrency at all. The closest I could get was a Biden EO that is in the works regarding regulations and taxation, and a CNBC article on how the IRS sells off seized cryptocurrency like other assets.

Any idea at all what this is about?

Fishman completely misunderstood an article about a proposal to develop a system for digital transactions supported by the treasury, so that buying things online doesn't have to involve third parties. This got reported as a "digital dollar".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

what the

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm absolutely loving sick of prickly city

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

So it's everyone else, check those doors

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

And if I did, I feel like the utter howling void of nothingness that is Prickly City would take priority. So look forward to that write up some time in 2025.
Come to think of it - other than using printscreen, how do you save images from gocomics?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the IPCC’s bleak report on the planet’s future – A major report has said there is almost no time left to avert the worst effects of climate change"

Telegraph:

Rouble plunges and interest rates double as Russian economy reels from sanctions

Matt:

Russia finally kicked out of World Cup as part of global football ban

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

London Tube strike across entire network to go ahead in row over TfL cuts

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Xander77 posted:

Huh. I've argued "hey, if you're a sci-fi nerd that's cool with transhumanism, trans people really shouldn't be a big deal" a few times, and never got anywhere. Maybe that's why.

For what it's worth, I know a lot of sci-fi nerds that are cool with transhumanism (myself included) who are totally on board with trans people. It's not the loudest shittiest segment of the nerd-dom, but I'm pretty sure it's not a rare position. I'd like to have robot arms and brain-computer interfaces, why would I give a single poo poo about what you want your genitals to look like? A person with their brain distributed among a swarm of robots is still a person, why would it be a problem to call someone "they/them"?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Longform Gorrell rear end strip

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kaza42 posted:

For what it's worth, I know a lot of sci-fi nerds that are cool with transhumanism (myself included) who are totally on board with trans people. It's not the loudest shittiest segment of the nerd-dom, but I'm pretty sure it's not a rare position. I'd like to have robot arms and brain-computer interfaces, why would I give a single poo poo about what you want your genitals to look like? A person with their brain distributed among a swarm of robots is still a person, why would it be a problem to call someone "they/them"?

It's because those people are entirely inward looking about this. "Oh yeah I'm going to bag all the ladies with my cool robot dick" turns into "oh wait these ladies might have agency and robot dicks of their own?? Oh that's too weird gross". Their "belief" in it is just an egocentric fantasy.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Me sowing: Ha ha gently caress yes, this robot dick rules!!!

Me reaping: I didn't ask for this

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Xander77 posted:

Huh. I've argued "hey, if you're a sci-fi nerd that's cool with transhumanism, trans people really shouldn't be a big deal" a few times, and never got anywhere. Maybe that's why.

I don't want to go No True Sci-Fi Nerd, but if you're a sci-fi nerd and you don't think The Culture is cool as hell, you're not a True Sci-Fi Nerd. :colbert:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Antigravitas posted:

I don't want to go No True Sci-Fi Nerd, but if you're a sci-fi nerd and you don't think The Culture is cool as hell, you're not a True Sci-Fi Nerd. :colbert:

Fully automated luxury gay space communism seems pretty fine to me.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Thousands evacuate in worst Australian floods in a decade (AP News)
Window to save ourselves from climate change 'rapidly closing', IPCC warns (ABC).
Scott Morrison ran an attack campaign in the 2019 election on Labor's electric car support by claiming they want to "end the weekend".
Also (and finally) a tinnie is that type of small aluminium boat.

Shakespeare:

Brown:

Rowe:

Australia to spend $70 million on ammunition, small missiles to help Ukraine fight against Russia (ABC)

Knight:

The talking critter thing is cut off but it says "That's some prayer".

Downes:

Tasmanian internet and phone services down in 'major' outage across much of the state (ABC).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

VAIK

if he'd gone with ATM then that would have been the same letters :argh:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 1, 2022

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Mikl posted:

Hello this is your routine "poo poo you put up with as a trans person on the internet."

One of the latest hotness things in the transphobia field, as seen in such outstanding journalistic outlets such as Quillette, The American Conservative, Catholic World Report, and American Humanist, is that transgender people are actually a cover for transhumanism. Because if you can accept that people can change gender, you also automatically accept that they can change their bodies in extreme and radical ways, becoming more than human.

This of course is all a ploy. Because if you accept to become "more," then (((they))) will basically own every part of your body and be able to shut it down at will, so you'll be forced to do (((their))) bidding, thus breeding a new generation of slaves.

Either that, or its the mark of the devil. Or sometimes both at the same time.

Yes, this is an actual thing (some) transphobes believe. I'm not even kidding.

I suspected, but thought the assumption was too uncharitable even for political cartoons.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i'm all for transhumanism (as long as we don't let elon musk types anywhere near it) but if you want a robot dick just walk down to the local sex shoppe and get yourself fitted for a nice strap-on. we already solved this problem, the future is here, embrace the new flesh

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE SWAMP

When President Trump appointed Bill Barr as his Attorney General, I was not happy. Barr was also the Attorney General for H.W. Bush, the ‘New World Order’ president, whom I despised. I knew Barr was part of the Deep State, yet maybe Trump thought he could perform more effectively than the do-nothing Jeff Sessions, who recused himself from fighting back against Democrat criminality and blatant corruption in the security agencies.

I tried to be hopeful and I even drew a few positive cartoons about Barr, but in the end I was right. William Barr was a Deep State Swamp backstabber. His job consisted of thwarting Trump. Sure, he appointed Durham, but years later who knows if Hillary will ever be charged for her crimes. She seems to have permanent immunity. She’s above the law. That means the law is corrupt and Barr helped corrupt it.

Like all his other dishonorable Quislings, Barr served the globalist oligarchs, not our country. It’s no surprise he’s publishing a ‘tell-all’ book that slams Trump. I’m sure he received a handsome advance, just like all the other creeps who write books to cash in on their service to the billionairiat running the world. Barr’s book is fitting, too—at 600 pages, it’s as fat as he is.

Barr is a man who failed to investigate Epstein’s death after promising a full investigation. Later he claimed Epstein committed suicide and thus helped cover things up for the globalist pedophiles. And now, Barr claims there was no presidential election corruption. Here is a man trained in the law who has refused to look at the overwhelming evidence that shows rampant election fraud. Again, his job is to protect his masters, who are as evil as Sauron and his operatives.

I hope you continue to savor the sweetness of your life, Bill Barr. You disgust me! Oh, wait. That’s a line out of the original ‘Star Trek,’ not the Lord of The Rings. Oh well.

— Ben Garrison

The One Ring is cool and good and should be protected, right?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Famous bad guy and villain, Bilbo Baggins

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The sides were definitely Frodo and Mt Doom vs the good guy, Sauron and his Good Ring

Yes I know Bilbo is being depicted in the comic, but in the dream logic political cartoons work in you are thinking of the Trilogy movies somehow fitting this political angle

Blind Duke fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 1, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Also wasn't the book Bilbo wrote There and Back Again?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like how, the second you cross Trump, the veil is lifted and Garrison realizes you’re fat. No more washboard abs and Adonis figure for you, buddy! We all know fat people are bad, isn’t that right, President Trump?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Not always true, sometimes you become a thin wimp with a pert rear end.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

That Gorrel is the Laziest Non-Gorrel Gorrel, because lol his only contribution was a two second piss yellow scribble that couldn't even stay inside the lines. A title previously held by that one where he used some GIS'd picture of Disney's Snow White and scribbled on the apple.

Raised By Birds posted:

The One Ring is cool and good and should be protected, right?

Continuing the fine conservative tradition:

https://twitter.com/parscale/status/1258388669544759296
https://twitter.com/parscale/status/1258402017590104067
https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1204503645607333888

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Like making Barr into Gollum, stealing the Ring back from Frodo Trump at the last second (right before his failure) is right there. Just label the Ring something like "Dem lies" or "election fraud" or something, it'd be entirely consistent with their horrible worldview. All Garrison's demonstrated there is that he's only got some half-remembered commercials for the movies to draw upon. Next he's going to have Trump triumphantly holding up the jeweled golden goblet from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade with the old knight looking on approvingly (or angry while being labeled something alluding to the point where the Templar conspiracy theories cross over with the (((bankers))) conspiracies).

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 2, 2022

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i mean i guess it makes sense that people who are cartoonishly evil can't identify who the bad guy is in movies for children

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
That latest Gorrell may be bad, but don't forget this utter travesty he shat out six months ago.

All mockery aside he should have been god drat embarrassed to turn this one in.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

disposablewords posted:

Like making Barr into Gollum, stealing the Ring back from Frodo Trump at the last second (right before his failure) is right there. Just label the Ring something like "Dem lies" or "election fraud" or something, it'd be entirely consistent with their horrible worldview. All Garrison's demonstrated there is that he's only got some half-remembered commercials for the movies to draw upon. Next he's going to have Trump triumphantly holding up the jeweled golden goblet from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade with the old knight looking on approvingly (or angry while being labeled something alluding to the point where the Templar conspiracy theories cross over with the (((bankers))) conspiracies).

He did it because Bill Barr sounds like Bilbo. It's a one pun cartoon and now the whole thread is getting owned by Ben Garrison, master of puppets :smaug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Garrison seems to be taking a moral stance against ever reading any book ever and hell, I respect it.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

escapegoat posted:

That latest Gorrell may be bad, but don't forget this utter travesty he shat out six months ago.

All mockery aside he should have been god drat embarrassed to turn this one in.

lmao, that's right, that's the one I was thinking of.

I guess he's putting effort into somehow finding the worst quality version of any image he's stealing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Weird how the world is run by corrupt and crooked billionaires, but also the only thing that can save it are the cool and good criminal billionaires who happen to say the correct racist things. No inherent contradictions in this world view, no sirree.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Even ignoring the whole "The One Ring (and by extension Sauron) is actually good" thing, the loving climax of LotR is that Frodo* is finally taken by the lure of the ring and refuses to destroy it, instead embracing it, and it's only by sheer luck that Gollum shows up and is able to bite it off of Frodo's finger. This would mean Bill Barr was actually completely loyal to Trump.

* Yes I know that Bill Barr is a play on Bilbo but given him mentioning Lord of the Rings in the rant, plus Mt. Doom and "Fellowship" on the book, it's probably more representative of Frodo.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like the part where Bilbo, who is evil, is taking the ring, which is good, to give to Sauron, who is still evil.

It's like Ben set out to outdo his misinterpretation of Don Quixote. And when he's called on this, because there's no way there won't be a billion nerds telling him how insanely poor a metaphor this is, he'll once again double down into "uh I've put my own twist on it, look how triggered you are."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

RoboRodent posted:

I like the part where Bilbo, who is evil, is taking the ring, which is good, to give to Sauron, who is still evil.

It's like Ben set out to outdo his misinterpretation of Don Quixote. And when he's called on this, because there's no way there won't be a billion nerds telling him how insanely poor a metaphor this is, he'll once again double down into "uh I've put my own twist on it, look how triggered you are."

It's especially good because like fascists and the rest of his audience really love the Lord of the Rings and see it as a powerful tale of white nationalism triumphing over mongrel hordes and poo poo. Like outside of the fantasy and tabletop gaming communities, I think fascist political cartoonists like Garrison probably have the audience most likely to be deeply familiar with, and fond of, Tolkien's work.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Lalo Alcaraz

Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Chip Bok

Steve Breen

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Jack Ohman

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

Marshall Ramsey

Rob Rogers

Jen Sorensen

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

An Inconvenient War John Kerry is in hot water for referring to the Russian attack on Ukraine as merely a Putin distraction from focusing on Climate Change.

This Kerry thing and the "80's called" thing... it's funny seeing the same talking point filtering out amongst the right, cartoonist by cartoonist.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Climate change is your term, idiot. Luntz invented it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

"Apologies to rattlesnakes." :drat:

I usually hate the "apologies to whoever" things in British cartoons, but this one is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tsarist Russia: famously not evil