Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Alley edition)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Giant Ethicist posted:

ChaCha Chako

ChaCha is very Old Testament.

Yeah, she threw down a righteous smiting in panel 1

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M by Mads Eriksen. It was basically a strip about Mads Eriksen if he actually could physically interact with characters from pop culture. He stopped doing the strip more than a decade ago because he had a legit mental breakdown because he thought doing it was so stressful. He has said that it took years before he was well enough mentally to even draw simple sketches. But now he's trying to make a comeback:

TegneHanne

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

These two are never getting together and it makes me mad.

F Minus

I would argue that's probably a zeppelin rather than a blimp.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Wow that's some amazing frisbee catching and throwing!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I laughed.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G catch-up

I assume there's a reason the Professor is at Frank's place. Maybe it was explained on Sunday.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Long Lever

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anyone has posted Big Nate in a long time, not sure if it's still an active strip, but apparently it's a cartoon show now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huTB1q6r0e0

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I don't think anyone has posted Big Nate in a long time, not sure if it's still an active strip, but apparently it's a cartoon show now

Yeah, it's still active. The creator started doing Big Nate fiction books marketed toward the same age group that enjoys Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dork Diaries, etc., and it's apparently been successful enough to draw eyeballs to the strip -- at least, it's one of the few strips on Gocomics that regularly gets comments from people who appear to be less than AARP-aged.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I wonder what inspired the creators to go with a “six months before society collapsed” visual aesthetic where literally everything is lovely and run down.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Selachian posted:

Yeah, it's still active. The creator started doing Big Nate fiction books marketed toward the same age group that enjoys Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Dork Diaries, etc., and it's apparently been successful enough to draw eyeballs to the strip -- at least, it's one of the few strips on Gocomics that regularly gets comments from people who appear to be less than AARP-aged.

Aren't the books BY the Diary of a Wimpy Kid guy?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Murdstone posted:

These two are never getting together and it makes me mad.

F Minus

I,too, played SEGA's 10SIX

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

I wonder what inspired the creators to go with a “six months before society collapsed” visual aesthetic where literally everything is lovely and run down.

the same thing that makes the school PS### instead of a real name

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Neito posted:

Aren't the books BY the Diary of a Wimpy Kid guy?

Not unless he's a ghostwriter; they're all credited to Lincoln Peirce. They do pretty closely imitate the Wimpy Kid style -- tweeny first-person narrator, lots of comic panels to break up the text, and humor aimed directly at the junior-high-boy level.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

IF IT SUCKS, HIT DA BRICKS

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kelly has never been in a health food store. You can get all kind of garbage snack stuff that claims its good for you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Green Intern posted:

Katwin is about to break Boltar in half for that look.
I love that Boltar at the end is just twirling his moustache at Katwin like "how'd you like that 'dog barking' burn I just did?"

Classic Cat 17/10/16

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

I assume there's a reason the Professor is at Frank's place. Maybe it was explained on Sunday.

Not really

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Feels like it would be a bit of an unfair pull, and we're not at J'accuseday yet, but I'm currently thinking the Lighting Technician in the Tuesday Strip., based on the assumption that he'd probably need LOS to aim the spotlight on the comedian, and would expect the glare to hide the muzzle-flash

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 13, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 13, 1919

Cat Tales February 21, 1925

Oaky Doaks August 26, 1936

Mopsy November 3, 1937

Up Front January 16, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 10, 1952

Those Were the Days March 5, 1959

Wee Pals May 18, 1966

Dogbert January 9, 1967

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"So It Seems" is extremely good, one of my favorites in this thread. Personality and wit in each illustration.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Green Intern posted:

Kelly has never been in a health food store. You can get all kind of garbage snack stuff that claims its good for you.
Yeah, but they're exactly the sort of people who believe the bullshit. Helen buys that garbage because she believes it's healthy and Ed reacts with disgust because he believes it's healthy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Green Intern posted:

The chocolate covered honeycomb at Sprouts will break all your teeth and taste amazing while it's doing it.

Slammy posted:

Mopsy November 3, 1937

Well, that took a few attempts before I managed to read it.

Okay, lady, the whole point of a dog park is the dog can run around off leash. The dog running around willy nilly out of easy reach is kind of the point. Be mad at the city for letting a hole in the fence go unrepaired.

Also, "Your dog ran away and I bet it's happier without you" is an incredibly lovely thing to say to someone you can't stand, let alone to someone you supposedly love.

Finally, I feel like the parents should be able to recognize Anne Eiffel by now, but yeah, I bet it's Anne Eiffel.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (June 7-8, 1934)

Peanuts (March 3-4, 1975)

Aw gently caress, These Old Farts Again...

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 28-30, 1938)

Out Our Way (April 25-27, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (October 14-16, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Two-Step (December 27, 1913)

Now imagine this video, only with more duck faces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10HT8s3f3jQ

Little Lefty (February 24-26, 1936)

Blondie (Working For A String Of Zeros) (September 7-9, 1931)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funky Winkerbean Presents: Mighty Morphin' Eco-Fascists.

I know it's probably not gonna be like that but also I have trepidation towards Batiuk attempting to basically reinvent Captain Planet As The Fantastic Four.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
He’s gonna do Captain Planet only more insufferable. Somehow.

Never watched that show I don’t think but I feel it couldn’t be close to this smug.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the problem with Captain Planet is that it was unrealistically understated and low-key

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

(No, they are never ever ever going to kiss.)

ChaCha Chako

I should have time to get back to Night Visitors over the next couple few days, thanks for your patience.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

(No, they are never ever ever going to kiss.)

:mods:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Kimball is a terrible anesthesiologist, or Well, he's no Peter Cook, but that was a pretty fast wedding ceremony, or Pearl objects!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

drat, that one really highlights how big Emi is.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Green Intern posted:

Ed's exactly the type of boomer who'd sneer at a "healthy" snack whether or not it's actually healthy, though.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Just learned tonight that my home-state cartoonist Richard Guindon, who I posted for a while in an earlier thread, has died. In his memory, I'll run a few more of his strips for a bit. For those unfamiliar with his work, I'd describe it as reminiscent of a 1970s version of Ballard Street, with maybe a bit more of a satirical edge.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Gotta be the dark-haired guy, who's quite pointedly keeping his hand in his jacket pocket all this time. Trying to hide the fact he's wearing a glove to avoid leaving fingerprints on the gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa