Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:killing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Karach posted:

I used to manage wetland revegetation projects, which involved a lot of manual weed control for hardcore perennials that initial site prep couldn't handle. the other project managers would hire vanloads of temp workers to spend days manually pulling out deep-rooted foxtail barley on 5 - 10 acre sites. these workers would show up with black jeans, black t-shirts, no hat, no gloves (and of course, our boss refused to provide PPE), and no water, to work outdoors for 8+ hours in sweltering July heat. all for bullshit minimum wage pay and no guarantee of further work or benefits of any kind.

I was amazed how many of these guys you could hire, and how cheaply. and just the most random collection of people. the only thing they had in common was poverty and desperation.

the best part is that these guys would do poo poo work too, despite the expense. they couldn't tell different types of grasses apart, and so would tear up the desirable native species along with the weeds.

my boss was always on me to hire these guys. "strong backs, weak minds" was his motto. he was a ghoul.
lol i got to be one of those temp workers once! only once. never again.

i did ask the manager why they'd chosen to do weed control in the middle of summer, in the middle of the day, when the soil was so hard that it was impossible to pull anything out by the roots. why not do it in the morning or the evening? why not do it in winter? or after rain? she just shrugged.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

The Protagonist posted:

emTme3 I tried PMing first but no dice. I was recommending https://massextinction.events/ but I hadn't checked it in a minute and now all the prior posts are gone :(

ah yeah, classic case of false ping, you're seeing it more and more. too many folks nowadays mistake a second, high-pitched crack for a ping. and boy howdy let me tell you, posting when you think you've pinged but you're just extra cracked is a recipe for some excellent content.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Karach posted:

my agroecology profs were assuring me that the world couldn't wait to hire people with technical expertise in sustainable production methods.

now I copyedit combine harvester manuals.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Enfys posted:

grass is trash

clover forever :) :hf: :)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mayor Dave posted:

Not quite on topic but you can read The Golden Spruce which has been recommended a few times itt to get a sense of how hosed up the logging industry can be

Yup its a good one

Next year we will practice havoc,
in that green trench-
the saws will yammer their nagging dirge,
the donkeys will gather the corpses
the land will be hammered to stumps and ruin
-Peter Trower

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

lol i got to be one of those temp workers once! only once. never again.

i did ask the manager why they'd chosen to do weed control in the middle of summer, in the middle of the day, when the soil was so hard that it was impossible to pull anything out by the roots. why not do it in the morning or the evening? why not do it in winter? or after rain? she just shrugged.

lol because the boss wanted us to work 8 - 4, no matter what. for outdoor projects, in highly variable weather. if he didn't see us at our desk at 8, he felt like a failure, and half of my job was managing my boss' narcissism, although this part didn't show up on the performance review. I suggested altered starting times in mid-summer and was shot down.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Karach posted:

lol because the boss wanted us to work 8 - 4, no matter what. for outdoor projects, in highly variable weather. if he didn't see us at our desk at 8, he felt like a failure, and half of my job was managing my boss' narcissism, although this part didn't show up on the performance review. I suggested altered starting times in mid-summer and was shot down.
:negative:

for-profit conservation is ridiculous. i remember sitting there watching the senior staff completely drain the nursery's rainwater tank in the middle of summer so they could wash their suvs. all the wetland ponds were overgrown with weeds and clogged with plastic trash that nobody gave a poo poo about, but there was this tiny square of lawn around the visitors' centre that all the old men would fight each other to mow every single day. also they didn't take the plastic sapling guards off the saplings after planting them, ever, so the growing trees would break them and then the plastic would wash straight into the estuary. we would get calls from wildlife rescues hundreds of miles down the coast because they'd pulled plastic out of a sea turtle with our wetland rehabilitation project's logo on it

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 23:32 on Mar 1, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

the nursery was full of frogs, they lived under the pots because there was more water in the nursery than in the wetlands most of the time. the pots would grow moss because of the humidity. one day i came in and my boss was pouring bleach into all the pots to kill the moss. i said, won't that kill the frogs? and he sort of looked surprised and said, well, yes, he supposed that it would. i said, why don't you put the pots out in full sunlight for a few hours to reduce the amount of moss? and he reacted with great scepticism and told me he would prefer to keep using bleach, it's more effective.

the next week i showed up and all the pots were sitting in the sun. my boss comes up to me and says "i had this great idea! i thought putting the pots in the sun might kill the moss, and look - it's working!"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the nursery was full of frogs, they lived under the pots because there was more water in the nursery than in the wetlands most of the time. the pots would grow moss because of the humidity. one day i came in and my boss was pouring bleach into all the pots to kill the moss. i said, won't that kill the frogs? and he sort of looked surprised and said, well, yes, he supposed that it would. i said, why don't you put the pots out in full sunlight for a few hours to reduce the amount of moss? and he reacted with great scepticism and told me he would prefer to keep using bleach, it's more effective.

the next week i showed up and all the pots were sitting in the sun. my boss comes up to me and says "i had this great idea! i thought putting the pots in the sun might kill the moss, and look - it's working!"

is this a fable

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mola Yam posted:

is this a fable

No talking foxes or crows, so no.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Mola Yam posted:

is this a fable

Gather round, striplings, and let me tell you the tale of the Economic System that Gave Everybody Brain Worms.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

is this a fable

ah yes a classic from ABAB's Fables

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

emTme3 I tried PMing first but no dice. I was recommending https://massextinction.events/ but I hadn't checked it in a minute and now all the prior posts are gone :(

See attached all of the non-TTM content except for the front page (which remains unchanged?). Right-click, save as .zip

Only registered members can see post attachments!

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

...and here's all of TTM except the introduction, which I believe is reiterated in the conclusion...

edit: these were saved 2/14, so the two current pieces aren't included

Only registered members can see post attachments!

take_it_slow has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Mar 2, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I saw this meme and thought of this thread

https://twitter.com/proxibody/status/1498134034827956228

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This tree near Mineral, Washington would be the world’s tallest, if it still stood.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

This tree near Mineral, Washington would be the world’s tallest, if it still stood.

Great pic and I wonder why there? Any more info?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

There were more than a few Doug‐firs rivalling the tallest redwoods all up the Pacific Coast, into British Columbia, but they were logged even more voraciously than the redwoods.

Here’s an article on the search for the remaining tallest Douglas‐firs.

They cite a paper by Sillett, here, and it includes a photograph showing more of this tree, via this USDA bulletin from 1930.

Here is a different very large complete tree that once lived in Skagit County.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Mar 2, 2022

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
what the gently caress is a small nuclear war

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

take_it_slow posted:

...and here's all of TTM except the introduction, which I believe is reiterated in the conclusion...

edit: these were saved 2/14, so the two current pieces aren't included

is it my browser or do these not work?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

As noted above basically the entire west coast from big sur to Juneau was forested with giant trees

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Karach posted:

It didn't work for me either.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Mayor Dave posted:

As noted above basically the entire west coast from big sur to Juneau was forested with giant trees

this is where you realize in the grand scheme of things we're already living in the aftermath

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Works in ff on linux. Opening the image and then saving it fails, but right-clicking the link and changing the file extension to zip in the save dialogue worked for me. You may be able to download it and just open it with your preferred zip program without bothering about the extension. Should just show up as a single pdf in each. If anyone has an easier way to share a pdf I can reupload. Pastebin won't take it 'cause it contains inflammatory language, lol

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Homocow posted:

it's one where the author doesn't experience any significant personal consequences

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.

Homocow posted:

how many billions spent and the cia can't just quietly murder putin

smh, incompentent wankers.

when the nukes start falling its their fault

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

rabble rabble posted:

this is where you realize in the grand scheme of things we're already living in the aftermath

this is more like the math tbh. the aftermath of the Great Dying was when the remaining life on the planet was adapted to lots more methane. which coincidentally

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Homocow posted:

Like the India - Pakistan exchange discussed earlier.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Homocow posted:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Homocow posted:

the article in question is based off this man's research

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Hexigrammus posted:

No talking foxes or crows, so no.
they are always there, just in the background

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Karach posted:

not the browser but the human interface component. rename them to zip files, as instructed.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

nah i did it correctly too and it failed. may just be Explorer getting confused

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FFT posted:

Explorer

:laugh:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
okay awesome, thank you, good ol' winrar to the rescue

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Big tree talk:

The eastern half of North America also used to have enormous trees in the form of chestnuts which are now nearly extinct. At one point they helped feed a major chunk of people who lived even slightly close to the forests. Roasted chestnuts were free for the taking and lasted well even for a year.

A very small number of them are naturally resistant to the permanent blight conditions introduced by humans, or were remote enough to avoid exposure. There's a project to selectively breed a stable population that will send you seeds if you want to help, and iirc two other projects to attempt to genetically modify them with genes from other species.

Most likely they're gonna die with all the other charismatic species of the earth. It's due to a quirk of their biology they weren't gone already.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are a small number of mature specimens that have been planted well outside of the native range on the west coast and overseas.

Wisconsin has the largest stand, but the blight has been introduced there, probably by a careless visitor who came to admire them. It has merely been slowed by the efforts of arborists.

It’s not the same as seeing a ridgeline covered with blooming chestnuts, as if covered in snow, but it’s something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Protagonist posted:

okay awesome, thank you, good ol' winrar to the rescue

i wonder whats the carbon footprint of all those computers using a couple extra watts to display that "please please pay for winrar" screen