Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

tumblr hype man posted:

Introducing yourself with your pronouns and a stolen land acknowledgement before you launch into your anti union podcast is just :discourse:

peak performative libshit goddamn

any and everyone that cares about leftist policy should be roasting the hell out of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

peak performative libshit goddamn

any and everyone that cares about leftist policy should be roasting the hell out of them

They now have a conversations page - https://www.rei.com/conversations/
Feel free to post and see how long it stays up!

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Naramyth posted:

Update of canyon talk: we are gonna go check it out the canyon but not do a rim to rim thing. We are instead going to Joshua Tree National Park that weekend and check out the Sedona area after.

We are going to do some backpacking practice this year so we can do a rim to rim camping thing next year.

Hey, it's me, the lurking Sedona native goon.

Cathedral Rock is great, but the parking is horrible. I drove by it today and it was completely full and we're not in the busy season yet.

If you want to hike Cathedral and bypass that parking then go out to Red Rock Crossing ( South on 179 to Verde Valley School Rd and follow to the end). There is another less busy parking lot there with direct access to Baldwin Trail that takes you around the back side of Cathedral. That connects Templeton Trail which connects to the Cathedral summit trail.
You also get the bonus of hiking next to Oak Creek.

Hope this helps & have fun.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm planning two weeks in the Yellowstone/Teton area in late May and early June. I have plenty of experience with recreation.gov and the idiosyncrasies of various national parks, but man this is a complicated process. Every different kind of site has a different reservation system, and it's different between the two NPs.

We're gonna try to do a campground the first night to get settled, some combo of day hikes and backpacking for the rest of the week, stay in a lodge/hotel for a couple of nights, and then do another week of hikes and backpacking. Probably Teton the first week and Yellowstone the second, but I know there's a lot of other interesting stuff around (like national forests).

Is there any hike, campground, or backcountry site that we should definitely keep an eye out for?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cascade canyon up to some lake is a phenomenal day hike in the Tetons. I'm not an expert by any means but I was guided to it in my short visit by my friend who runs field camps there so he knows the area very well, and it did not disappoint. I remember eying the backcountry sites far into the hike with envy.

e: not sure what the snow situation will be like in may/june, I think I was there in early August.

e2: we linked it up with another trail beyond the cascade canyon trail to make the whole out and back be about 16 miles iirc, I will ask my friend what lake we ended up at

alnilam fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 20, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Was it Cascade -> Lake Solitude -> Paintbrush? That's one I've been eyeing that is available for reservation. Looks great and not too difficult.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Was it Cascade -> Lake Solitude -> Paintbrush? That's one I've been eyeing that is available for reservation. Looks great and not too difficult.

We did cascade to solitude and back and that was a top 3 best hike I’ve ever done.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Naramyth posted:

We did cascade to solitude and back and that was a top 3 best hike I’ve ever done.

It was this! We considered taking paintbrush back but one of our group was hesitant. Cascade to solitude out and back was still a hell of a day and an all time top 5 day hike for sure.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Everyone seems to love that loop, but I get the impression the pass (10k altitude) might still be iffy in late May. I've hiked in snow and ice before, but the Teton area seems more extreme than most.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Northside cabin. Welp... Maybe should have asked advice before getting tickets and a rental. The good news is the rental has a hot tub and is only for 3 days. Guess we will be spending more time indoors... Being a Midwesterner, I didn't think about elevation.

Any idea how Olympia is that time of the year? The remaining 4 days of the trip we are still sorting out. Got a rental with unlimited milage, and I actually like driving.

Olympia is a perfectly fine town, but if you meant Olympic, it’s a great park with a huge amount of variety. I went to the Hoh Rainforest in December when I moved to WA a few years ago. Stayed overnight and slept in the car. Easy hike along the river to see some alien landscape - temperate rainforest is awesome. You could go 12 miles out before hitting any elevation, so it’s not strenuous at all. Saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time on that trip at Ruby Beach - it was breathtaking.

Made a few other day trips over the last two years. Went up to Hurricane Ridge on the last weekend before it closed for the season. Great views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Canada from 5200’. Been to Sol Duc Falls and spent some time in the hot springs nearby. There’s tons of trails all around and lots of variety. Bring rain gear if you’re going to the west side.

Check the conditions report - some roads are prone to washouts/slides and end up closing trails and campgrounds. Some trails are on tribal lands that are closed to non-members. If you want to visit and book early because popular campgrounds fill up early especially with attendance getting back to pre-Covid levels of visitors.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It looks like there are openings for backcountry permits in Cascade/Paintbrush canyons through early June. I think I'll plan on that and just hope that "winter" conditions aren't too bad. I still need to come up with at least one other ambitious backpacking trip, probably in Yellowstone, plus other day hikes and activities.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Also if anyone has any must-know tips for snow/ice, I welcome them. It looks like I'm going to need to buy crampons and an ice axe. This is Paintbrush Divide in June lol

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Honestly if you don't have experience with that kind of thing i don't recommend trying it on your own, in the tetons. Catching a fall with an ice axe is its own skill. It's something i want to learn myself but I would never go a first time without someone experienced.

If it were me, I might get the permit and plan on hiking up cascade to solitude, keep a close eye on conditions, and plan to turn back when/if the going gets too tough snow-wise. I wouldn't gently caress with mountain ice lightly.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Olympia is a perfectly fine town, but if you meant Olympic, it’s a great park with a huge amount of variety. I went to the Hoh Rainforest in December when I moved to WA a few years ago. Stayed overnight and slept in the car. Easy hike along the river to see some alien landscape - temperate rainforest is awesome. You could go 12 miles out before hitting any elevation, so it’s not strenuous at all. Saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time on that trip at Ruby Beach - it was breathtaking.

Made a few other day trips over the last two years. Went up to Hurricane Ridge on the last weekend before it closed for the season. Great views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Canada from 5200’. Been to Sol Duc Falls and spent some time in the hot springs nearby. There’s tons of trails all around and lots of variety. Bring rain gear if you’re going to the west side.

Check the conditions report - some roads are prone to washouts/slides and end up closing trails and campgrounds. Some trails are on tribal lands that are closed to non-members. If you want to visit and book early because popular campgrounds fill up early especially with attendance getting back to pre-Covid levels of visitors.

i did the 7 lakes loop in Olympic a few years ago and it was absolutely amazing. we trailed in by those hot springs there, and while it was not the Hoh it was still rainforest. we did a 4 night trip and every night was like we were in a different park.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Also if anyone has any must-know tips for snow/ice, I welcome them. It looks like I'm going to need to buy crampons and an ice axe. This is Paintbrush Divide in June lol

As already said, that type of terrain can be lethal if you're inexperienced.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm OK with some risk and have done some basic snow backpacking and some rock scrambles that I would consider pretty dangerous, but I don't want to be stupid about it. I may just do two nights in Cascade at the different campsites if everyone thinks I'm a dumbass for trying to climb that.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm OK with some risk and have done some basic snow backpacking and some rock scrambles that I would consider pretty dangerous, but I don't want to be stupid about it. I may just do two nights in Cascade at the different campsites if everyone thinks I'm a dumbass for trying to climb that.

Steep alpine ice/snow is a different beast. I'm not sure if the area you're talking about is glaciated, but that brings a set of risks as well if so. Absent of all other issues, on terrain like that if you slip you're not going to stop until you hit something solid, which could be a very long way down. It may be fine, I really don't know what the conditions are like there at all, let alone in June, but it's a different thing than scrambles and snow backpacking. There is a proper technique to self arrest using an ice axe, but it's not guaranteed to actually stop you.

I say this as someone who has done tons of technical rock climbing, some ice climbing, and some alpine climbing. By far the worst fall I've ever taken was on a steep mountain slope in icy conditions. I was lucky that the slide ended because I reached a mostly flat area, and that there were no trees or rocks to hit along the way. If there were, or if there had been a cliff system down below me, I would 100% have been dead. As it was I was able to get up and walk out, but seriously, I was extremely lucky.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Hey all next week I'm going to be doing a 4 day hike covering ~66 km. First two days should be fairly easy, 5 and 5.5 hours walking each, last two will be a lot harder at about 10 and 8 hours walking each. Can't really even the km's out as there are only a fixed number of huts along the trail we can stay in.

My question is about food, I think I have a handle on breakfasts, snacks and dinner meals, but I'm always a bit confused about what to do for lunches on these multi-day hikes. For reference:

- I'm vegetarian
- I don't like cheese (and it doesn't like me)
- I don't have a dehydrator

For those reasons the normal cheese and salami on crackers or bread suggestion doesn't really work for me. I'm thinking about bringing single-serve packets of peanut butter and honey to have on crackers of flat bread, but I'm not sure how well the bread would last 4 days in my pack and how bulky/heavy it would be. I'm considering pre-cooking some pasta the night before each day and stashing it in a zip-loc bag with some sort of sauce, which is a bit of effort but could work.

Any suggestions? Having trouble finding vege lunch ideas for hiking that I could actually carry on multiple long days and that don't require a dehydrator.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PB&J tortilla rollups have never failed me. Any bread dish you want just replace with a tortilla.

Rice sides, ramen, quinoa are also solid options.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm a bit of an oddity, but I do long backpacking trips on 100% snacks and bars. Food is really personal, so good luck.

This is 3000 calories

I've learned that for me:
  • more than 2 of the cheese/peanut butter crackers per day is unsustainable
  • however 5 chewy granola bars makes an excellent backbone
  • dont underestimate the caloric value of sweetened dried cranberries

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 22, 2022

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Blackhawk posted:

Hey all next week I'm going to be doing a 4 day hike covering ~66 km. First two days should be fairly easy, 5 and 5.5 hours walking each, last two will be a lot harder at about 10 and 8 hours walking each. Can't really even the km's out as there are only a fixed number of huts along the trail we can stay in.

My question is about food, I think I have a handle on breakfasts, snacks and dinner meals, but I'm always a bit confused about what to do for lunches on these multi-day hikes. For reference:

- I'm vegetarian

For those reasons the normal cheese and salami on crackers or bread suggestion doesn't really work for me. I'm thinking about bringing single-serve packets of peanut butter and honey to have on crackers of flat bread, but I'm not sure how well the bread would last 4 days in my pack and how bulky/heavy it would be. I'm considering pre-cooking some pasta the night before each day and stashing it in a zip-loc bag with some sort of sauce, which is a bit of effort but could work.

Any suggestions? Having trouble finding vege lunch ideas for hiking that I could actually carry on multiple long days and that don't require a dehydrator.

Tortillas hold up better than regular bread. Peanut butter or peanut butter and jelly works for a spread. If you want to spend a little more money for more interesting flavors, try Trail Butter https://www.trailbutter.com/collections Super, super dense calorically.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 22, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Blackhawk posted:

- I'm vegetarian

pre-cooking the pasta seems like a really bad idea to be honest. that has the potential to be a hell of a hassle.

do you like sweets? Nutella and crackers works great, peanut butter as well. On trail you are burning calories like a motherfucker, and sometimes your appetite does not cooperate so sweet things can work great.

My normal lunch is a tortilla with prepackaged tuna/chicken salad (obviously for you that will be different), and then some snacks like yogurt or chocolate covered nuts or whatever. so my thought would be don't count on a clif bar for breakfast and instead eat one at lunch, and then mix in some snacks like dried fruit, trail mix, etc.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

On big trips I'll often just do backpacker meals for lunch as well as dinner. Boil water during a water fill stop, put in the pouch, hike the 20 minutes or whatever with the pouch strapped to your pack, then take another lil rest and chow down.

I know store bought backpacker meals are :effort: but for long trips they work well. I've done all diy meals and I'm glad i proved to myself i could do it, but the store bought ones work very well for me

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I usually just snack for lunch which is cheese and meat. For a vegetarian, peanut butter is your friend. Also, powdered peanut butter is great. It's light and super easy to make. Add a little olive oil to give it that good texture and really pack in the calories. If you want individual packets, i like Justin's packets. Also get some honey and fruit leathers. I've used fruit leather in place of jelly in a pbj.

100% tortillas. You really shouldn't consider any other bread, unless maybe pita or crackers. Tortillas are practically made for backpacking. Easy to hand hold, great vessel for food, and can go with literally anything. Rice sides are quick. Ramen is super quick. I've heard there's dried hummus powder but I've never found it. Tastybite has a bunch of lentils and Indian stuff recently which look easy to make. A buddy of mine started bringing a solid loving carrot for every day of his trip. I'm not going to lie, it's getting adopted into my routine. A fresh carrot has never tasted so good.

Obviously nuts, dried fruits. Granola. I usually prefer to snack than sit down and cook a meal for lunch, that is of course unless we reach camp at lunch time in which case ... I'm going to cook something.

For lunch though, pbj tortilla roll ups are so easy and good. Easy to eat and digest if you struggle eating on trips like I do sometimes. Pro tip, make them during breakfast so that they're ready to eat when you stop. No prep.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I find pitas are the best option if you want to do bread, 3-4 days seem to be the limit for it though after that they tend to get kind of stale.

I also have found lunch to be the trickiest meal and have settled on cheese/crackers and some kind of dried meat. I kind of like things that allow for some flexibility in serving sizes. I am not sure what I would do without cheese/meat. Like others said I feel like peanut butter would likely be a good option.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Verman posted:

100% tortillas. You really shouldn't consider any other bread, unless maybe pita or crackers.

Tortillas are #1, but I've also done pretty well with Trader Joe's lavash bread. It's TJ bread so it'll go moldy after a couple days, but while it lasts it's pretty nice. I thought it went really well with salami & mustard.

Another vegetarian idea: hit up an Indian grocery and take a look around for ready-to-eat food; MTR is one brand I've seen pretty frequently. You can get chana masala, dal, aloo, etc. pre-cooked and shelf-stable. They'll be in little flat cardboard boxes on the shelf, but inside the box is a foil pouch that's perfect for your backpack. On the one hand, they're heavier than dehydrated food and probably not super calorically dense, but on the other, they're cheaper and taste better.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Pham Nuwen posted:

Tortillas are #1, but I've also done pretty well with Trader Joe's lavash bread. It's TJ bread so it'll go moldy after a couple days, but while it lasts it's pretty nice. I thought it went really well with salami & mustard.

Another vegetarian idea: hit up an Indian grocery and take a look around for ready-to-eat food; MTR is one brand I've seen pretty frequently. You can get chana masala, dal, aloo, etc. pre-cooked and shelf-stable. They'll be in little flat cardboard boxes on the shelf, but inside the box is a foil pouch that's perfect for your backpack. On the one hand, they're heavier than dehydrated food and probably not super calorically dense, but on the other, they're cheaper and taste better.

I have had those on canoe trips and the they are actually really good and easy but I am not sure I would want to take them where weight is a concern they are certainly a lot heavier than other options.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I love the Indian foil pouches but if you're doing that level of premade, you might as well go backpacker meals and save a ton of weight, imo.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah the Indian meals pouches are great I've had them before but as you say, pretty heavy with the water included. I found a vego/vegan store not too far from here that seems to do a lot of stuff that could be good so I'll head there tomorrow. They have some vegan jerky (I've had some mushroom jerky before and it was great) as well as some kind of vegetarian cured sausage replacement that might be good to bring and slice up into lunch tortillas.

I'll do an update when I buy my haul and then a trip report after I eat it all on the trail :P

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Verman posted:

A buddy of mine started bringing a solid loving carrot for every day of his trip. I'm not going to lie, it's getting adopted into my routine. A fresh carrot has never tasted so good.

I've been told that people sell cucumbers at the base of some Korean mountains so that you can have a refreshing snack on your hike, and tbh it sounds pretty good. No mess. Easy to hold. Hydrating.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blackhawk posted:

Consider just getting a dehydrator. You can get one fairly cheaply and they can come in handy for all kinds of things. For how expensive backpacking stuff can be, it is really pretty reasonable.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Ugh, sorry, yes, Olympic not Olympia. So close!

I did a 2 day winter backpacking workshop this last weekend and had a great time. It was great to meet about 30 other people with 'my same sort of crazy'. Learned a ton about gear, safety, winter first aid (I got to be the hypothermia burrito!) and planning. Met some localish (few hours away!) people who are looking for more hiking friends. I was a bit surprised to find a number of other middle aged women who attended solo, some with kids/partners left at home.

One of the best presentations was from a wilderness responder who really emphasized how good documentation and checking in with either family or local sheriff can be. Had a good suggestion too about putting a flag in a tree high enough to be seen from a distance before ducking off the trail to potty. Lot of people carry a compass/maps, but set their pack down at the trail edge before pooping.

Would really recommend a workshop like this. Also, comedy - my biggest problem was that with an underquilt and a -30F bag in a hammock... I was too warm. At 5F.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Blackhawk posted:

- I'm vegetarian

Cold soaking couscous and an olive oil packet + nuts + dehydrated veggies is what I've been trying out on my past few trips and it has worked really nicely for me. Granted I add tuna packets in there as well so you'd need to find some kind of alternative but I'm sure there's some kind of vegetarian alternative you can just crumble up and add.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Heading out tomorrow, just as New Zealand is going nuts with covid cases, hope the huts I'll be staying in are empty/nearly empty :S

Pretty sure I'm carrying too much food but I guess I'd rather have too much rather than too little when going for 4 pretty solid days. Also the weather forecast is absolutely mint, every day is going to be clear skies, light winds and moderate temperatures, which gives me more confidence in our ability to make the daily distances towards the end of the hike.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Blackhawk posted:

Heading out tomorrow, just as New Zealand is going nuts with covid cases, hope the huts I'll be staying in are empty/nearly empty :S

Pretty sure I'm carrying too much food but I guess I'd rather have too much rather than too little when going for 4 pretty solid days. Also the weather forecast is absolutely mint, every day is going to be clear skies, light winds and moderate temperatures, which gives me more confidence in our ability to make the daily distances towards the end of the hike.

Nice, where you headed?

I've taken to avoiding the huts after I got caught in crow hut with a couple of antivaxxers.

Now I just make sure I have a bivy as a backup

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

Ugh, sorry, yes, Olympic not Olympia. So close!

I did a 2 day winter backpacking workshop this last weekend and had a great time. It was great to meet about 30 other people with 'my same sort of crazy'. Learned a ton about gear, safety, winter first aid (I got to be the hypothermia burrito!) and planning. Met some localish (few hours away!) people who are looking for more hiking friends. I was a bit surprised to find a number of other middle aged women who attended solo, some with kids/partners left at home.

One of the best presentations was from a wilderness responder who really emphasized how good documentation and checking in with either family or local sheriff can be. Had a good suggestion too about putting a flag in a tree high enough to be seen from a distance before ducking off the trail to potty. Lot of people carry a compass/maps, but set their pack down at the trail edge before pooping.

Would really recommend a workshop like this. Also, comedy - my biggest problem was that with an underquilt and a -30F bag in a hammock... I was too warm. At 5F.

I have opinions about visiting the Olympic Peninsula. Unlike Mt. Rainier, a lot of the highlights are at relatively low elevations. You won't be able to visit Seven Lakes Basin or Grand Valley but there is a lot to see and do in late spring.

River hikes: it's possible to hike a long way up the Quilcene, Dungeness or Gray Wolf Rivers and May is when the rhododendrons bloom. Check wta.org for conditions. Some of these trails have obvious turnaround spots but for the most part you can just hike until you feel like stopping.

Dungeness Spit: This is absolutely worth visiting if you like marine life and historic lighthouses. On a clear day it also comes with spectacular views of the mountains to the south and Canada to the north.

Sequim: It's pronounced "skwim".

Hurricane Ridge: If the weather cooperates (there's a webcam), the views are worthwhile even if there'll be too much snow on the ground to do any hiking in the area. Don't bother with Deer Park unless you see trip reports indicating that the snow has melted out because otherwise it's just a very long, boring drive to nowhere in particular.

Lake Crescent: Instagram's favorite hike is Mt. Storm King. You gain about 2,000 feet in two miles in exchange for a pretty good selfie. On the north side of the lake there's a rail trail that mostly follows the shoreline. Start from the east end and go at least as far as Devil's Punchbowl. Renting a kayak and paddling around is also an option.

Hoh Rainforest: Not optional even if you just do the nature trail. This is another place where you can walk along the river until you feel like turning around

Pacific Coast: If you want to spend a day or two walking along a wilderness beach, you've come to the right place. Shi Shi Beach is currently closed to visitors and I'm not sure you can currently drive to Ozette but the entry points further south should be accessible. You'll need a tide table. For a short walk I think Ruby Beach and Second Beach are probably your best bets.

Craig Romano's Day Hiking Olympic Peninsula is a very thorough guide to the region.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm a bit of an oddity, but I do long backpacking trips on 100% snacks and bars. Food is really personal, so good luck.

This is 3000 calories

I've learned that for me:
  • more than 2 of the cheese/peanut butter crackers per day is unsustainable
  • however 5 chewy granola bars makes an excellent backbone
  • dont underestimate the caloric value of sweetened dried cranberries

I do similar to this with lots of granola and nut based mixes for bikepacking. Another overlooked ingredient is coconut, it has a ton of good calories, fats that are great for hiking energy, some protein, and fiber.

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon
Any recommendations for specific day hikes in and around Palm Springs/Joshua Tree? I backpacked the California Riding and Hiking Trail last time I was here, but now I’m back for more of daytime explorations. There’s so much it’s hard to narrow down!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

carrionman posted:

Nice, where you headed?

I've taken to avoiding the huts after I got caught in crow hut with a couple of antivaxxers.

Now I just make sure I have a bivy as a backup

Ruapehu round the mountain track. We just finished after having to bail 2/3rds of the way through. We underestimated how difficult the terrain would be around the east side of the mountain and had no chance of doing it in 4 days, probably would have taken us 6 and we didn't have food for that. Weather was awesome though and the amount of food we brought was pretty close to correct, scenery and terrain was epic too.

Huts were fine, one night was 4 people total in a massive 30 person hut, next was 6 in a 20 person hut and last night we had the hut completely to ourselves. The round the mountain track here is a lot less popular than the tongariro northern circuit (because it's way harder and longer) so it gets a lot less traffic and mostly serious trampers.

Took my photos on a film camera so I'll have to wait until they're developed and scanned before I can post them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Anyone around the PNW done mailbox peak around this time of year? The weather is supposed to clear up this weekend, and I was thinking of tackling it.
Mt Si was my original plan, but I've done it several times already. The most recent WTA reports & photos still show plenty of snow ice.
I have all the gear I'll need short of microspikes and snow baskets for my poles (which I can get easily enough before I go.)