Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bird with big dick posted:

Very clever of Ford to get around the chip shortage by only continuing to make the most undesirable models.

I'm bummed that I'm going to be back DDing an 8 year old Accord but I'm not bummed to see the Mach-E go down the road. Maybe they'll fix it at some point in the future but right now the GT is just an embarrassment. Six months ago if you'd told Ford fans and GT preorderers that the GT was only going to hit 101 mph in the 1/4 mile they'd have laughed in your face. They wouldn't have believed you. They'd have said you were a Tesla-stan spreading FUD. I know a lot of people itt don't really give that much of a poo poo about performance so they don't care or don't know how bad that is, but that's how bad it is. So bad it would literally not be believed. Even after it happened people didn't believe it. People thought the guy lifted before the end of the 1/4 mile or there was something actually wrong with his car.

EV makes sense, $6k for 50 miles, range anxiety is out of control and they need the batteries, I could not bring myself to order that. However, I can't fathom what is the supply constraint on the Premium over the Select, maybe the glass roof? That seems like the only common donominator between the Premium and R1 being axed and the Select and GT still being for order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I haven't been a fast car guy since I did 0-100 in under 6 seconds on my R1, I feel my Leaf delivers more than adequate acceleration, even at 60MPH. I'm also a lofetime Ford and Mustang fanboy, owning 4 Mustangs, including everything from an '04 with a blower dyno'd at 432HP to severely compromised models (my first was a V6 automatic, lol).

That being said, if I tried to stomp the go-fast pedal in my performance car, and it unleashed 500+ ponies that died down to Leaf levels of power in a second like you described, I'd probably poo poo-can it too. That's just unacceptable, and a huge loving blunder considering they named it the "Mach-E GT" and not the "Ford Edge electric." It's very disappointing overall and I hope they remedy the situation.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

blk posted:

Thanks, everyone - do most chargers have some sort of mechanical retention mechanism, like a clip you need to depress to release it? Or do they just slide in like any other electrical plug?

The type 2 connector used in the EU does not have a physical button on the charge plug, it only has an electrically actuated retention mechanism in the car. Your spring loaded automatic cable retraction scheme (?) would work in the EU, provided the cable retraction force does not overcome the actuator that retracts the retention device by friction.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

blk posted:

Thanks, everyone - do most chargers have some sort of mechanical retention mechanism, like a clip you need to depress to release it? Or do they just slide in like any other electrical plug?

Not only this, but the (older) CHAdeMO standard locks inside the charger side! This is lots of fun when you have started a session and then discove the touchscreen is broken.

If you go back a couple dozen pages you can read about me driving 45 minutes in an attempt to get Cruft Jr's LEAF disconnected from the L3 station. It hit 100% before I got there and disconnected itself, but that was a fun mental exercise of "who's legally authorized to forcibly release my vehicle from this charger"

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Warrior Princess posted:

My Chevy Volt can absolutely go into drive and move while actively plugged into L2 :gonk: it just beeps at you.

Do you have a gen2? Because if so something is very broken with your charger or car.

When a J1772 handle is connected to the car, it should prevent you from shifting the car out of park. Even if the EVSE has no power, the car can still detect the handle plugged into the charge port.

Not sure about the gen 1, but it should be similar.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

stevewm posted:

Do you have a gen2? Because if so something is very broken with your charger or car.

When a J1772 handle is connected to the car, it should prevent you from shifting the car out of park. Even if the EVSE has no power, the car can still detect the handle plugged into the charge port.

Not sure about the gen 1, but it should be similar.

Must have something amiss then. More than once I've plugged in in my driveway, had the cable dangling off the ground from the port to the charger, got back in, and inched it forward a bit to get the cable on the ground. It's a 2018, so gen2.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

At any speed higher than 50 mph you floor it in a Mach-E GT and you either get:

1. A wet fart.
2. A powerful burst of acceleration that lasts ~1.5 seconds (50-70) and then turns into a wet fart.

The powerful burst makes the wet fart worse. It's like it's taunting you. See what I could do if they took the governors off? Well, too bad, enjoy your 20 second trip from 70-95. Faaaaaart.

The two motors in the GT make 281 hp each. You know what kinda press Ford would have gotten if they let it use all 562 hp for the entire length of a 1/4 and it ran a fuckin mid 11? People would have lost their minds.

Instead they basically withheld the thing from reviewers out of embarrassment and then when they finally started getting ahold of them to test the primary response from the press was "lol wtf is this thing broken?"

What was the engineering reason for limiting the Mach-E GTs top end accelaration? was it to protect the motors or battery or something?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CalvinandHobbes posted:

What was the engineering reason for limiting the Mach-E GTs top end accelaration? was it to protect the motors or battery or something?

The brilliant minds at Ford decided to gut performance to save a few bucks by reusing the same cooling system as the non-GT models lmao.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

cruft posted:

Not only this, but the (older) CHAdeMO standard locks inside the charger side! This is lots of fun when you have started a session and then discove the touchscreen is broken.

If you go back a couple dozen pages you can read about me driving 45 minutes in an attempt to get Cruft Jr's LEAF disconnected from the L3 station. It hit 100% before I got there and disconnected itself, but that was a fun mental exercise of "who's legally authorized to forcibly release my vehicle from this charger"

The charger should have an emergency stop - just hit that and the cable will unlock

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Depending on how lazy the install is, how safety conscious the designer was and/or how regulations look like, that might also leave every other charger connected to the same junction powerless.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
"Model e" seems like weird branding if you assume at some point it's all they'll make but you do you ford. Maybe it's a corporate only organizational term and won't actually prepend car names.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1498992748514447371

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's just corporate divisions reorganizing.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/03/02/ford-ceo-jim-farley-unveils-plan-ev-model-e/6981544001/

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Qwijib0 posted:

"Model e" seems like weird branding if you assume at some point it's all they'll make but you do you ford. Maybe it's a corporate only organizational term and won't actually prepend car names.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1498992748514447371

I don’t think anyone at Ford is talking to anyone else since their charging network is branded as “Blue Oval”

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
At least they didn't call it something dumb like "Ford+".

...gently caress.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
“Ford is such a remarkably stupid company” he says as he gets into his Fiesta ST

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
iFord

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Warrior Princess posted:

Must have something amiss then. More than once I've plugged in in my driveway, had the cable dangling off the ground from the port to the charger, got back in, and inched it forward a bit to get the cable on the ground. It's a 2018, so gen2.

I could have sworn I've done this in my '17 but I just checked and it stays locked in park. I wonder if a software update was done when I had a recall. It is very obnoxious when you forget to close the charge door though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i actually think the reorg makes sense, there's already pretty clear divisions in traditional OEMs between legacy and EV, and trying to prioritize either one effectively is very difficult since they're all blurred together. a more clear delineation allows both divisions to prioritize and focus on what they are good at. and they can both be bad at product launches, but separately!

be interesting to see how this works with the dealer network....

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i actually think the reorg makes sense, there's already pretty clear divisions in traditional OEMs between legacy and EV, and trying to prioritize either one effectively is very difficult since they're all blurred together. a more clear delineation allows both divisions to prioritize and focus on what they are good at. and they can both be bad at product launches, but separately!

be interesting to see how this works with the dealer network....

comedy "your contract is with ford blue, this is an entirely separate unit" option maybe.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

QuarkJets posted:

I went to a Polestar 2 from a 1995 sedan with a casette deck, I didn't post much about the car itt because I didn't know which features were normal for modern cars and didn't want people to be like "uh wtf yeah it's normal for cars to have a hood that you don't need to prop open with a piece of 2x4 that you cut yourself" :shrug:

My wife is reluctant to give up her 2003 Mercedes C-Class (and gas hog) because it has a cassette player, maybe the last model to have that.

I went from a all manual (shift, windows, locks and seat) 2000 Toyota to the Kia Niro EV. Quite the change.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wow, I just learned that there's people out there who prefer cassette tapes.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I hope Ford offers a larger battery option in the Transit EV in 2 years so I can get one of those do a van convert on it.

Or maybe Mercedes will bring in the electric Sprinter. Or the Rivian Van (I have a business, see?).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nfcknblvbl posted:

True enthusiasts keep an under-dash record player.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I have a bluetooth wax cylinder player.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Qwijib0 posted:

comedy "your contract is with ford blue, this is an entirely separate unit" option maybe.

mashallah

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dissss posted:

The charger should have an emergency stop

And yet.

This is the ChargePoint Express 250. You can read all about it on their page.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 2, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It made sense in the '90s and early '00s because mix tapes were a thing and cassette adapters made it easy to connect external devices to cheap cars. You can always hook a discman up to a cassette adapter, but you can't easily connect anything to an older CD head unit. Mix CDs were a thing, but weren't nearly as convenient to create and usually impossible to edit (CD-RW compatibility with portable and automotive players was iffy).

Aux ports, bluetooth, and the ability to play MP3s off of a USB stick or SD card made those reasons obsolete.

For the last decade and change it's basically just lazy people who don't want to learn a new thing, plus a few "audiophile" types with screws loose who insist that analog formats are always better.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dissss posted:

The charger should have an emergency stop - just hit that and the cable will unlock

Hitting the estop slams the contactors open in less than 5ms, which can damage your car. It’s an absolute last resort.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 6, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Hitting the estop slams the contactors open in less than 5ms, which can damage your car. It’s an absolute last resort.

Is it possible to explain to an idiot like me how this damages your car? Does it have something to do with inductive load, like unplugging an MRI while it's operating?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian just did 3 years of price adjustments in a single go with an email to pre-order holders that didn’t even explain why or apologize. :suicide: Steel is up 25% and aluminum is up 90% since 2018, and we are losing money on each vehicle sold, but hollllly hell what a terrible way to handle this. I’m ashamed for the company.

The company should have at least honored the price for early pre-order holders.

The company should have apologized in the email, made yearly adjustments, and explained why the adjustments where actually due to inflation (especially since most companies are price gouging.)

Ugh. :smith:

I had a pre-order that I was keeping open, 50/50 on following through. The price jumped around $15k. I've already canceled the preorder and requested a refund deposit. I thought about giving Rivian a chance to respond to the backlash, but decided that they'd handled the first part too poorly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I had a pre-order that I was keeping open, 50/50 on following through. The price jumped around $15k. I've already canceled the preorder and requested a refund deposit. I thought about giving Rivian a chance to respond to the backlash, but decided that they'd handled the first part too poorly.

I don't blame you at all. It's complete bullshit.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Had a friend do the same thing.

Have a feeling this is going to put a bad taste in peoples mouths. Like a few other said, my $100 pre-order with Tesla locked me into the price when I configured it, by the time I got my MYP it had gone up a few thousand for a new build.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was visiting a hyundai dealership and checked out the ioniq 5. It actually feels too small for our needs so I’m waffling about cancelling the preorder. The angled rear cargo thing so many cars do is stupid as hell. My bmw 325 wagon had more usable room in the back. I don’t think the dog carriers will fit at all in this without pushing the rear seats way up. They fit just fine in the wife’s santa fe sport! Disappointing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian just did 3 years of price adjustments in a single go with an email to pre-order holders that didn’t even explain why or apologize. :suicide: Steel is up 25% and aluminum is up 90% since 2018, and we are losing money on each vehicle sold, but hollllly hell what a terrible way to handle this. I’m ashamed for the company.

The company should have at least honored the price for early pre-order holders.

The company should have apologized in the email, made yearly adjustments, and explained why the adjustments where actually due to inflation (especially since most companies are price gouging.)

Ugh. :smith:

I had a feeling the price was too low given the size of the battery and being a total startup. Still, I hope they keep going, we need more challengers to the legacy automakers, and it's still a really cool product.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

I was visiting a hyundai dealership and checked out the ioniq 5. It actually feels too small for our needs so I’m waffling about cancelling the preorder. The angled rear cargo thing so many cars do is stupid as hell. My bmw 325 wagon had more usable room in the back. I don’t think the dog carriers will fit at all in this without pushing the rear seats way up. They fit just fine in the wife’s santa fe sport! Disappointing.

the wind blows Taycan Turismo

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

The Model Y is the only EV SUV I looked at that didn't just feel like a fat liftback to me.

And big oof to that Rivian news, I was mildly torn that I should have gone with it over a Y, not so much now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cruft posted:

Is it possible to explain to an idiot like me how this damages your car? Does it have something to do with inductive load, like unplugging an MRI while it's operating?

because this kind of thing could happen:

https://youtu.be/-olPXm8oJyw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

mattfl posted:

Had a friend do the same thing.

Have a feeling this is going to put a bad taste in peoples mouths. Like a few other said, my $100 pre-order with Tesla locked me into the price when I configured it, by the time I got my MYP it had gone up a few thousand for a new build.

Wow Tesla's deposit is much lower than when I bought my cars! The ones I bought in 2018 and 2010 has $2,500 deposits.