Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Get 7zip or pay the goddamn money, hasn't rar done enough over the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Horizon Burning posted:

not the browser but the human interface component. rename them to zip files, as instructed.

did that, it still says it's not an archive.

edit: oh wait, it generated an error but still actually extracted the file. neat. I hate touching computers all day long. if I had it my way we'd all be out revegetating wetlands, but for fair pay and with lots of breaks for lemonade and acro yoga.

edit2: actually, with 7zip installed, I had to give the file the .7z extension. 7zip still generated an error, but gave me the PDF. HTH!!

Karach has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Mar 2, 2022

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/cleaner-air-would-help-150000-breathe-easier

quote:

New analysis shows that the capital’s poor air quality led to over 1,700 hospital admissions for asthma and serious lung conditions between 2017-2019
Over the same period, air pollution was responsible for 7 per cent of all asthma admissions of children in London
Evidence also shows how improved air quality has reduced the number of people admitted to hospital for these diseases by 30 per cent
Mayor says more needs to be done to protect the most vulnerable

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has said today that further bold action is urgently needed to tackle London’s filthy air, as new analysis by researchers from Imperial College London shows air pollution contributed to over 1,700 hospital admissions for asthma and COPD between 2017 and 2019.

Poor air quality stunts the growth of children’s lungs, creates new respiratory conditions and worsens existing chronic illnesses, such as asthma, lung and heart disease. The Mayor called today’s analysis ‘a stark reminder’ that the health of Londoners is being damaged by air pollution.

The new evidence, published today via Imperial Projects, shows:
The rapid improvement in air pollution levels reduced the number of hospital admissions for asthma and serious lung conditions by 30 per cent – from 2,450 (2014 – 2016) to 1,700 (2017 – 2019).
The largest percentage improvement was among children under the age of 14 – between 2014 and 2016, around 1,000 of those admitted to hospital with airway diseases were children under 14 with asthma. Between 2016 and 2019, these air pollution attributable admissions were reduced to 700, a 30 per cent reduction.
For some diseases, improving air quality has a direct and immediate benefit for public health.
Reminder: https://lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n23/david-wallace-wells/ten-million-a-year
Ten million people die each year from polluted air worldwide

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

treechat

this is a really good book on the topic in the us

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/12988518-american-canopy

it’s also basically a history of the us ripping out every tree it can find to build railroads and houses. some truly staggering statistics.

the late 1800s were hell

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Libertarians love the statistic that the United States has more forested land today than it did in 1900.

Yeah, dipshits, decades of industrial logging had wrecked the place by 1900.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Platystemon posted:

Libertarians love the statistic that the United States has more forested land today than it did in 1900.

Yeah, dipshits, decades of industrial logging had wrecked the place by 1900.

that’s covered pretty well by the book I just mentioned

lots of pictures of completely denuded places around 1900

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

One of the last tracts of old growth forest in the South was owned by the Singer sewing machine company.

The trees were gone by 1950 and with them the ivory‐billed woodpecker.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i few years ago i spent two days trying to find an alleged area of old growth douglas fir in colorado

some locals had heard of it, but never seen it

i found some roads leading to the alleged area (but roads are never a good sign), which had plenty of enormous stumps, but no old trees. spent another day hiking to what looked like areas of appropriate growing areas/remoteness, but nothing

i ran out of time, never found em, still wonder

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

treechat

it’s also basically a history of the us ripping out every tree it can find to build railroads and houses. some truly staggering statistics.

the late 1800s were hell

I wonder how much coal mines contributed to the total demand. Workings were extensive and they had quite an appetite for props.

Same for WWI. Once the combatants got bogged down and dug into trenches they started digging tunnels trying to get underneath each other. The stats on wood needed is impressive. I'm curious how much of Scotland was deforested (again) by the war.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hexigrammus posted:

I wonder how much coal mines contributed to the total demand. Workings were extensive and they had quite an appetite for props.

Same for WWI. Once the combatants got bogged down and dug into trenches they started digging tunnels trying to get underneath each other. The stats on wood needed is impressive. I'm curious how much of Scotland was deforested (again) by the war.

a nontrivial amount, it would seem:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The idea of trying to preserve or cherish an old growth forest doesn't really make sense anymore. It's drying out and heating up so quickly that the forest is a huge fire liability, it's just a question of which year it all explodes. The planet can't really support that sort of system anymore, even if we fenced off huge areas and tried our hardest to prevent the fires it's still going to burn down.

This is not really true in the tropics where it's humid and rainy all the time. Yet.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Forest on Fire posted:

The idea of trying to preserve or cherish an old growth forest doesn't really make sense anymore. It's drying out and heating up so quickly that the forest is a huge fire liability, it's just a question of which year it all explodes. The planet can't really support that sort of system anymore, even if we fenced off huge areas and tried our hardest to prevent the fires it's still going to burn down.

This is not really true in the tropics where it's humid and rainy all the time. Yet.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

from American Canopy:

"It is estimated that the number of railroad ties in present use is 150,000,000. [...] the required product of 750,000 aces of well timbered land [is required] to furnish the supply. Railroad ties last about five years, consequently 30,000,000 ties are used annually for repairs, taking the timber from 150,000 acres." this was from 1870

"Consumption peaked in 1880, when railroads consumed 60 million ties, around 2,000,000,000 board feet."

wood was used to build boxcars, used as fuel, used as ties

most wood for WWI was harvested in Europe, according the this book the US front used 73 million board feet of lumber per month at its peak. sitka spruce was used for airplane construction, though, back in the United States. American Canopy only puts it as "billions of board feet," probably hard to quantify that number

some other numbers post WWII:

"in the fifteen years following WWII, the total cut of timber in the national forests ballooned from 2.7 billion to 9.4 billion board feet. and sites of timber harvesting -- typically done through clear cutting -- rarely provided much recreation potential"

These are some pages i had tabbed, still. good book

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

treechat

the late 1800s were hell

Hell yes thanks, will take any more recommendations on or off air

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Pryor on Fire posted:

the old growth trees on the West Coast are in a temperate rain forest

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If trees didnt want to be cut down they should have evolved better

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rectal Death Adept posted:

If trees didnt want to be cut down they should have evolved better

In some areas they have developed a symbiotic relationship with certain apes.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Platystemon posted:

In some areas they have developed a symbiotic relationship with certain apes.

quote:

On 8 May 1987, George Alexander, a millworker, was severely injured when a saw blade shattered after contact with a tree spike and cut his jaw in half.

jesus

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

we deserve extinction

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

this is the most abstract loss edit I've seen yet

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"It just seems to me seems to me, that only a really low IQ population could have taken this beautiful continent, this magnificent American landscape that we inherited… Well, actually, we stole it from the Mexicans and the Indians but. Hey, it was nice when we stole it. It looked pretty good. It was pristine. Paradise. Have you seen it lately? Have you taken a good look at it lately? It’s loving embarrassing.

Only a nation of unenlightened half-wits could have taken this beautiful place and turned it into what it is today, a shopping mall. A big, loving shopping mall. You know that. That’s all you got. That’s all you got here, folks. Mile after mile of mall after mall. Many, many malls. Major malls and mini malls. They put the mini malls in between the major malls. And in between the mini malls they put the mini marts. And in between the mini marts. You’ve got the car lots, gas stations, muffler shops, Laundromats, cheap hotels, fast food joints, strip clubs and dirty bookstores. America the beautiful. One big transcontinental commercial cesspool.

And how do the people feel about all this? How do the people feel about living in a coast-to-coast shopping mall? Well, they think it’s JUST loving DANDY!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:yeah:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
sure but as long as I get to take my annual vacation to a place that hasn't been hosed up quite as much, where I can have my ever whim satisfied by deferential locals, I don't give a poo poo. make the malls and grocery stores drive through, I'm tired of walking

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Platystemon posted:

One of the last tracts of old growth forest in the South was owned by the Singer sewing machine company.

The trees were gone by 1950 and with them the ivory‐billed woodpecker.

Tommy Lee Jones been old for a long, long time

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Pryor on Fire posted:

Whats the plan, do you think we should cut em all down now before they burn? Dont wanna waste the wood?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Whats the plan, do you think we should cut em all down now before they burn?
overflow parking for the closest sports stadium

Dont wanna waste the wood?
oh poo poo, right, they're made out of wood. uhh just burn it i guess?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Whats the plan, do you think we should cut em all down now before they burn? Dont wanna waste the wood?

I spend a lot of time almost every day hiking in the forest. That's my only plan, really. Enjoy them while you can.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

more rain for se Queensland over the next couple of days. shits still flooded, dams are still at capacity. lmao

nothing like a hail storm at 3am in the morning

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"It just seems to me seems to me, that only a really low IQ population could have taken this beautiful continent, this magnificent American landscape that we inherited… Well, actually, we stole it from the Mexicans and the Indians but. Hey, it was nice when we stole it. It looked pretty good. It was pristine. Paradise. Have you seen it lately? Have you taken a good look at it lately? It’s loving embarrassing.

Only a nation of unenlightened half-wits could have taken this beautiful place and turned it into what it is today, a shopping mall. A big, loving shopping mall. You know that. That’s all you got. That’s all you got here, folks. Mile after mile of mall after mall. Many, many malls. Major malls and mini malls. They put the mini malls in between the major malls. And in between the mini malls they put the mini marts. And in between the mini marts. You’ve got the car lots, gas stations, muffler shops, Laundromats, cheap hotels, fast food joints, strip clubs and dirty bookstores. America the beautiful. One big transcontinental commercial cesspool.

And how do the people feel about all this? How do the people feel about living in a coast-to-coast shopping mall? Well, they think it’s JUST loving DANDY!"

whoa careful posting Carlin in here buddy

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

nice. I'm due for a rewatch

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

threads is one of the most hosed up movies ive ever watched

only watched it once

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 7 days!)

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Big tree talk:

The eastern half of North America also used to have enormous trees in the form of chestnuts which are now nearly extinct. At one point they helped feed a major chunk of people who lived even slightly close to the forests. Roasted chestnuts were free for the taking and lasted well even for a year.

A very small number of them are naturally resistant to the permanent blight conditions introduced by humans, or were remote enough to avoid exposure. There's a project to selectively breed a stable population that will send you seeds if you want to help, and iirc two other projects to attempt to genetically modify them with genes from other species.

Most likely they're gonna die with all the other charismatic species of the earth. It's due to a quirk of their biology they weren't gone already.
this is cool.

i'm thinking of doing something similar with kurrajongs in australia

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

one interesting fact about the kurrajong, they're a poo poo timber tree

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

the baobab family (of which the kurrajong is the southernmost member) are also fire resistant because their trunks are almost succulent, they're like a giant carrot

maybe it's time to introduce them to the americas. at this point it could hardly make things worse

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the baobab family (of which the kurrajong is the southernmost member) are also fire resistant because their trunks are almost succulent, they're like a giant carrot

maybe it's time to introduce them to the americas. at this point it could hardly make things worse

there were at least a few planted in florida in the 20s

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

threads is one of the most hosed up movies ive ever watched

only watched it once

quote:

No one ever forgets the experience of watching Threads. It is arguably the most devastating piece of television ever produced. It's perfectly crafted, totally human and so completely harrowing you'll think that you'll probably never want to watch it again.

It still astounds me it was even greenlit. Watching Threads at 16 was certainly formative.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

one interesting fact about the kurrajong, they're a poo poo timber tree

Americans imported eucalyptus to use for railway ties but the joke was on them because eucalyptus wood sucks and now they've taken over large swathes of California

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hahaha holy poo poo

The current head of the Bureau of Land Management is a snitch and/or undercover cop who outed her group of tree spiking activists

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

astronaut w/ a gun meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Platystemon posted:

There were more than a few Doug‐firs rivalling the tallest redwoods all up the Pacific Coast, into British Columbia, but they were logged even more voraciously than the redwoods.

Here’s an article on the search for the remaining tallest Douglas‐firs.

They cite a paper by Sillett, here, and it includes a photograph showing more of this tree, via this USDA bulletin from 1930.

Here is a different very large complete tree that once lived in Skagit County.

Anyone who could look at something like that and think, “I just gotta cut it down!” is despicable beyond words. the very notion fills me with sorrow and hatred. god, I’m glad we’re on our way out.