Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

All Ukrainians that I follow on twitter had relentlessly mocked Zelensky ever since election (comedian, man of Kolomoisky, lib etc) "
I mean, he won 73% of the vote, so it's not like he wasn't somewhat popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ataxerxes posted:

Finnish media reporting that, according to Ukrainska Pravda, the russians have brought Viktor Janukovytš to Minsk and intend to proclaim him the president of Ukraine. Didn't he run for the hills in 2014?

Got ran to the hills in 2014 after he aligned with Russia rather than EU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia is also stopping some military aged men from leaving the country. The interrogations, even for the ones who get to leave, seem...pointed.

Looks like Putin thinks he's gonna need even untrained warm bodies eventually.

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1498973197412143105?t=RX8i3ctMl2gXKkU6j-HDiA&s=19

Edit: Russian state news getting even more blatant with their lies

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1498916514660945921?t=SaMNCsAQlEcFT2FGOfp6hw&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 2, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Alexey Nalvany, Russian opposition leader, currently in jail and on trial again for "parole violations" posted the below thread on Twitter in both English and Russian.

The Kremlin is currently fast tracking a law that would make speaking against the war punishable by up to 15 years in prison. But Nalvany has been a problem for Putin for some time, so I'm not sure if he'll survive long enough for another trial :(

https://twitter.com/navalny/status/1498948991228293120?t=jp1gbI3-7KIygMb4Fekd3A&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ataxerxes posted:

Finnish media reporting that, according to Ukrainska Pravda, the russians have brought Viktor Janukovytš to Minsk and intend to proclaim him the president of Ukraine. Didn't he run for the hills in 2014?

Yes he did, leaving the Ukrainian people to gawk at his hideously tasteless Dictator Mansion.

It would be incredibly stupid of the Russians to proclaim him President of Vichy Ukraine because AFAIK he's one of the most hated men in Ukraine. So given what we've seen of Russian behavior, they probably will do it.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It would be incredibly stupid of the Russians to proclaim him President of Vichy Ukraine because AFAIK he's one of the most hated men in Ukraine. Given what we've seen of Russian behavior, they probably will do it.

On the other hand, maybe the third time is the charm?

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Russians who made the demand to the mayor above held grenades in their hands as a deadman safety features to keep from getting lynched
https://twitter.com/kemal_115/status/1498960233544224770
Arkady Babchenko wrote in his memoir about Russian soldiers doing much the same in the first Chechnyan war. The degree of corruption going on in mid-90s Russia meant the privates weren't getting enough food and had to go into the markets in the town local to their base (supposedly sometimes trading fuel and ammunition for food). They were so paranoid about kidnapping that they'd hold primed grenades while amongst the locals.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Odessa is under fire now

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1498979987516542977?t=4xDtp57l9060_VYWCU8Nnw&s=19

And Russia is reported to be making preparations for a naval landing later today - screenshot is from the same source twitter as the above post

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

It would be incredibly stupid of the Russians to proclaim him President of Vichy Ukraine because AFAIK he's one of the most hated men in Ukraine. So given what we've seen of Russian behavior, they probably will do it.

As of right now, my instinct is to believe that this is just a clever rumor being spread by Ukrainian intelligence to further bolster support. Mainly because even by the standards of the consistently piss-poor decision-making that we have seen recently in the last week, this seems like a really, really, just flat-out unbelievably lovely idea.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

KitConstantine posted:

Odessa is under fire now

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1498979987516542977?t=4xDtp57l9060_VYWCU8Nnw&s=19

And Russia is reported to be making preparations for a naval landing later today - screenshot is from the same source twitter as the above post

Thanks to the permanent Globalhawk presence over the Black Sea they'll have known the minute a soldier stepped aboard a transport in Sevastopol

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Odessa is under fire now

Sounds like they're just getting into javelin range to me.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I noticed many anonymous 'military expert' twitter accounts (aka trolls) do the same. Sharing same information like legit media, but they always end up with 'was it Russian attack? no, it's Ukrainian forces shelling Ukraine' spins

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Cope cages :golfclap:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1498931729159102465?t=D0LibgkKPJwbAr3o9dHBJA&s=19

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Alternatively it's another way to remind Ukrainians that they belong to Moscow now, because they can impose whoever they want as leader and if you complain about it then we're very happy to arrest you and torture you until you change your mind. In other words another component of the extremely repressive country Russian satrap that Ukraine is going to become if Putin gets his way.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TheRat posted:

Haven't people been saying the drones were being produced domestially inside Ukraine?

Yeah they got the license to do that a while ago, though idk how many they've actually finished

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zephro posted:

Alternatively it's another way to remind Ukrainians that they belong to Moscow now, because they can impose whoever they want as leader and if you complain about it then we're very happy to arrest you and torture you until you change your mind. In other words another component of the extremely repressive country Russian satrap that Ukraine is going to become if Putin gets his way.

True, but that's putting the cart a mile before the horse isn't it?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Okay, while it's relatively calm in here I have a question.

There's steadily been more reports of Azov legion capturing equipment/performing defensive actions/etc. I've been keeping it out of the thread because I want to avoid rehashing settled subjects (they're loving nazis, it's bad they're involved, unfortunately even if they were in jail they would be out now because Ukraine has released prisoners for the fight already and this way at least they're pointed at Russians).

Does this seem like a good policy moving forward?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

There's steadily been more reports of Azov legion capturing equipment/performing defensive actions/etc. I've been keeping it out of the thread because I want to avoid rehashing settled subjects (they're loving nazis, it's bad they're involved, unfortunately even if they were in jail they would be out now because Ukraine has released prisoners for the fight already and this way at least they're pointed at Russians).

Well it's definitely not a good enduring policy but right now Ukraine is clearly in an existential fight where they need every single person willing to pick up a rifle and fight.

e: if the conflict somehow gets to a point where the Russians are withdrawing to the borders in disarray and there's a risk the Azov battalion is going to go very war-crimesy in Donbas then that would probably be the time to have this conversation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Has there been any official Ukraine statement if they are actually storing/planning to use captured tanks/apcs? Like personal kit like body amour/guns and what not like obviously why wouldn't you, but the Russian amour vehicle, like from everything I've heard that needs a pretty dedicated maintenance and supply line to actually use, unless you're just going to use the tank as as pretty much a stationary turret. I'm assuming often they'd just take anything that could be useful and wreck it good.

Edit:

KitConstantine posted:

There's steadily been more reports of Azov legion capturing equipment/performing defensive actions/etc.....

Okay so first question is obviously how accurate are the reports. Russians would love that sort of propaganda. On the other hand obviously the Azoz legion is a thing, and that seems like something they would do, so very fair question.

Second question, what exactly is anyone meant to do about it? It's obviously not great, but if they are concentrated on fighting the Russian force currently booming innocent civilians, then..um? I mean if for some hosed up reason they decide, oh lets set up a concentration camp while this wars going on, then maybe the Ukraine government should try to do something, but if not, like, they have only so much capability and at the moment the Azov legion is actually helping, and not doing anything wrong. Sure weapons in their hands is worrying, but back to the first point, the Ukraine government has a shitload more things to worry about now. In dire situation you usually don't have the luxury to worry about trying to fix future problems when the immediate problem is about to kill you.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 2, 2022

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I wonder if they're there to defend against the ISIS-pioneered tactic of dropping grenades from cheap Chinese consumer drones? Would suggest they known an insurgency is coming.

edit: also I don't think NLAWs have tandem charges, so maybe it's an attempt to stop those too.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 2, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

KitConstantine posted:

No good Lord no. They should be in prison and the single greatest policy blunder of the post-Revolution Ukrainian government was absorbing those losers in to the army and giving them guns. They're going to come out of this war with more support than before - because if nothing else invasions are great for fostering support for nationalist extremists - and that's extremely depressing and worrying.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Azov battalion is part of the ukranian national guard, and number about 2500 out of Ukraine's 200,000 strong army.

The current stooge talking point is it's more important for the Ukrainian army to be rounding up and arresting potential Nazis than it would be for them to defend Ukraine from Russian troops literally marching in.

It's worth noting that Azov was a self organised militia to fight in Donbas before they got rolled into the national guard (as all the other militias did). If they weren't rolled in they'd still be self organised, still be fighting and have even less oversight or control placed over them. It also makes it much more difficult to disband and demobilise them after the war if they're outside the command structure.

As the saying goes, it's better to have them in the tent pissing out, then in the tent pissing themselves.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

KitConstantine posted:

It's iffy, but it's not like anyone expects there to be a real putsch or something. Or, in other words, if they end up doing something stupid there might be an unfortunate incident or two, but nothing the army and/or cops wouldn't ultimately squash, as they don't really have real power behind them. So, you know, not great, but an easy gamble to make in an all hands on deck situation.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Honest question: Do Americans know/understand that in the Balkans and some eastern block countries there's a shitload of Nazis in the military and it's an ingrained thing, or do they thing that somehow Ukraine is different and unique so it stands to reason to harp on about it?
I can only speak with confidence about mine (Greece), which might be a bit of a special case because after WW2 we just put every Nazi collaborator in government and high ranking military positions (eventually leading to the military junta of the 70s), but there's at least a couple of scandals a year with video taken from elite battalions chanting far right and Nazi slogans or singing little songs about how they want to massacre Turkish civilians.

This isn't really a gotcha of any kind, but it would be bizarre to me for someone to say ''Yeah we should invade Greece because they have a Nazi problem.'' Especially when half the countries in Europe have at least one party that's just Nazis, like Greece had (7% voted for them) until the were eventually sent to prison.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

No good Lord no. They should be in prison and the single greatest policy blunder of the post-Revolution Ukrainian government was absorbing those losers in to the army and giving them guns. They're going to come out of this war with more support than before - because if nothing else invasions are great for fostering support for nationalist extremists - and that's extremely depressing and worrying.

Okay, so I should continue my policy avoiding posting anything with the word 'Azov' in it? Because that's been my MO so far.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ravenkult posted:

Honest question: Do Americans know/understand that in the Balkans and some eastern block countries there's a shitload of Nazis in the military and it's an ingrained thing, or do they thing that somehow Ukraine is different and unique so it stands to reason to harp on about it?
I can only speak with confidence about mine (Greece), which might be a bit of a special case because after WW2 we just put every Nazi collaborator in government and high ranking military positions (eventually leading to the military junta of the 70s), but there's at least a couple of scandals a year with video taken from elite battalions chanting far right and Nazi slogans or singing little songs about how they want to massacre Turkish civilians.

This isn't really a gotcha of any kind, but it would be bizarre to me for someone to say ''Yeah we should invade Greece because they have a Nazi problem.'' Especially when half the countries in Europe have at least one party that's just Nazis, like Greece had (7% voted for them) until the were eventually sent to prison.

Pretty sure it goes like:

Problem - Wars of conquest are forbidden in the UN.

Solution - Claim you're there to depose an evil nazi government instead.

That's as far as it goes.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yes he did, leaving the Ukrainian people to gawk at his hideously tasteless Dictator Mansion.

Oh gently caress, I remember that! This is that guy??

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's also worth noting that the uk military is full of Nazis And they had to arrest a bunch of them because they were trying to recruit for terrorist organisations. Every military is full of Nazis, a naturally nationalist and authoritarian which attracts them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Language warning I guess, but that goes for pretty much 80% of anything coming out of Ukrainian/Russian mouths.

https://twitter.com/einherjarvalk/status/1498803573240565763

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

KitConstantine posted:

Okay, so I should continue my policy avoiding posting anything with the word 'Azov' in it? Because that's been my MO so far.

Honestly? I don't think so. Ukraine is the good guy here and we're all rooting for them, but that doesn't mean we should be ignorant or whitewash the realities of Ukrainian politics. Is making the despicable bastards of Azov appear beore a judge the highest priority right now? No I guess not, plus they might all blow up during the Battle of Mariupol anyway. But I see their position getting stronger on the other end of this, not weaker, and that's very bad.

It's no different to the corruption talk. Ukraine was, is, and - if there's anything left - will be, a pretty corrupt state. President Zelensky got his job because of his promise to fight corruption after all. This isn't my version of a terminally online twitter personality trying to 'both sides are bad actually' things, but I don't see the need to completely ignore the bad. But also people should keep in mind there's an active war with bigger priorities to focus on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Also, though, "they're gonna make Yanukovych president" is exactly what I'd say if I were trying to rally Ukrainians. There's another guy, Viktor Medvedchuk , who just escaped house arrest; Putin is his daughter's godfather, literally.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I think there may be a policy now of farmers prioritizing getting the highest end stuff unstuck and delivered to the military
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1498992754675879938?t=Dju8WK5M1RnvTNdeJt-y1w&s=19

Helps that income tax on such equipment is suspended.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't see any outcome of this conflict where any of the Azov battalion are still alive.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

It's everyone to the barricades atm, no matter my distaste for them. :ukraine:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's also worth noting that the uk military is full of Nazis And they had to arrest a bunch of them because they were trying to recruit for terrorist organisations. Every military is full of Nazis, a naturally nationalist and authoritarian which attracts them.

Military and police. It's why unfortunately fascists coups often work, or why coups are often fascists.... however you want to look at it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Note the dead man's switch grenades in hand in the second video

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Morale is still fairly high.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

dr_rat posted:

Has there been any official Ukraine statement if they are actually storing/planning to use captured tanks/apcs? Like personal kit like body amour/guns and what not like obviously why wouldn't you, but the Russian amour vehicle, like from everything I've heard that needs a pretty dedicated maintenance and supply line to actually use, unless you're just going to use the tank as as pretty much a stationary turret. I'm assuming often they'd just take anything that could be useful and wreck it good.

Ukraine uses a lot of the same equipment so they can probably maintain captured equipment just as well (or otherwise) as their own inventory. If nothing else they can probably be cannibalised for parts and ammo to keep their own stuff going. Even if they can’t maintain it, if whatever they capture is still in working order they can probably just use it until it’s blown up or broken down.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zephro posted:

I wonder if they're there to defend against the ISIS-pioneered tactic of dropping grenades from cheap Chinese consumer drones? Would suggest they known an insurgency is coming.

edit: also I don't think NLAWs have tandem charges, so maybe it's an attempt to stop those too.

They are to stop vertical AT missile attacks, yes. I think we're yet to see any proof of their efficacy, so it's unclear if they aren't just glorified luggage racks / the equivalent of Yugoslav mattress-lined tanks

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

uXs posted:

Oh gently caress, I remember that! This is that guy??

Yep, it's that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bionic Psyker posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498799589100605444

Has this been posted? That could be a big troop movement that was coming up from the south.

If I was a tanker, I would be taking a detour around a point on map labelled 'Bashtanka'.