Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Modern Leper posted:

Just used in the US, but the code didn't activate. On a 7-day trial for the moment, but sent a message into support.

Update: Got an email confirming that they added the discount to my account, but it does read as though it was added in response to my email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow. What an absolute dumpster fire of an update.

This is unusable for me. I'm deleting the app off my phone until they roll this back.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/shambrookben/status/1499611864715915265?s=20&t=-OFodANtn3-GlvHm1njtxw

lmao this is going great here :australia:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's one (albeit very annoying) thing in the US where if you live in distance of a comic shop you should be ok (minus the agrovstions of that activity) but internationally and rural america this has been nothing short of a complete loving disaster.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
My recent experience is opening the app, scrolling for a second, then closing it after it’s frozen. Haven’t read anything for… well I can pinpoint the time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Haven't read anything for a while, decided I'd try today.
gently caress me the Kindle reader on browser is abysmal. Completely unusable trash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad the app reader hasn't significantly changed, since I never used the website anyway, but that sucks for those of you who do. I also have an iPad so Jeff wouldn't sell me comics in-app, anyway, since Tim wanted to take part of the sale price, so no change there, either.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
The various DRM removal methods for Kindle books also work on comics downloaded via the Kindle app, so I can rescue my library, but I wish I didn't have to do this because Amazon just can't create a working online reader.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How exactly does that work? Is there a guide? I would like to liberate my collection and put it in another app.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

x1o posted:

The various DRM removal methods for Kindle books also work on comics downloaded via the Kindle app, so I can rescue my library, but I wish I didn't have to do this because Amazon just can't create a working online reader.

The books downloaded this way seem to be way lower quality vs. the old download from the Comixology website versions. At least on the windows app.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why would they need to come up with a new online reader? the old one worked perfectly, goddammit.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Synthbuttrange posted:

why would they need to come up with a new online reader? the old one worked perfectly, goddammit.

someone has goals to meet internally

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Cloks posted:

someone has goals to meet internally

Also I imagine they will fire the comixology team instead of having two teams developing readers. Because they don't understand why they need a comics focused reader

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Billy Gnosis posted:

Also I imagine they will fire the comixology team instead of having two teams developing readers. Because they don't understand why they need a comics focused reader

It's 100% this. Why have two readers when you can simply have one?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

hadji murad posted:

How exactly does that work? Is there a guide? I would like to liberate my collection and put it in another app.

I don't have time to go into complete detail here, but I was recently setting this up myself in order to read (on my Kobo) a book that was released only on the Kindle store, so here's a quick summary based on my experience. N.b. I've only tried this on prose books, not comics.

- install the Kindle client version 1.17 (later versions download in a different format that is not as well understood)
- install Calibre ebook manager
- install the DeDRM plugin for Calibre
- Start up Calibre and go to Preferences→Plugins→DeDRM→Customize→Kindle for Mac/PC and click the green +; it should automatically extract your DRM keys from your Kindle install
- download any books you want to read in the Kindle app, then import the AZW files into Calibre and it should automatically peel off the DRM as they're imported.

That's for Windows/Mac. If you're on Linux it gets more annoying; you will need to install Kindle in wine, and may also need to install Python 2.7 and use the kindlekey.pyw script to extract the keys, as the plugin has issues automatically extracting them from wine installs.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
E: thank you I will look into this! ^^

What are the best iOS comic reading apps?

I like YAC reader but the interface bugs me a little and I keep turning pages when I try to enter a menu.

A Second Edit: I changed the page settings when in a comic and you can swipe on the bottom and hitting the middle screen brings up the options. This is much more my speed!

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 10, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/kellysue/status/1502007233621618695?t=aiO7gZ8VOFjZlj_Bq-2u3Q&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

As always with humble bundles, you might want to manually adjust the donations, default gives like 5% of the money to the charity it's supposed to be supporting. This one is for Hero Initiative which helps with medical costs for comic writers/artists who generally have to buy their own insurance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm loving torn on this, because there's a lot of good stuff there but the stuff I'm really interested in (primarily Monstress and Saga) isn't finished, so I'll just end up sitting on it for years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm loving torn on this, because there's a lot of good stuff there but the stuff I'm really interested in (primarily Monstress and Saga) isn't finished, so I'll just end up sitting on it for years.

Bitch Planet is really good, and even though they aren't finished, there's a poo poo ton of Monstress and Saga to go through before you're all caught up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ToxicFrog posted:

Saga is so good though. It just came back after a 3 year excruciating break. Get in and take it slow.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Paper Girls is also great.

drat, lots of good stuff in that bundle.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i think it's weird that they put rat queens in it with Upchurch's history

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Bitch Planet is really good, and even though they aren't finished, there's a poo poo ton of Monstress and Saga to go through before you're all caught up.

The problem is that if I read it now, by the time it's finished I won't remember anything about it because that will be many years and hundreds of books ago, so I'll have to reread the whole thing from the beginning anyways! These days I generally just don't start reading things at all until the whole thing is finished because of that; I might read the first chapter or volume to see if it's something I want to read, but not any further than that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Suggesting the thread be retitled 'May your view be gutted'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

The problem is that if I read it now, by the time it's finished I won't remember anything about it because that will be many years and hundreds of books ago, so I'll have to reread the whole thing from the beginning anyways! These days I generally just don't start reading things at all until the whole thing is finished because of that; I might read the first chapter or volume to see if it's something I want to read, but not any further than that.

I have some bad news about how serialized comic books work.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I have some bad news about how serialized comic books work.

Just because something is serialized doesn't mean it can't end, though! Transmetropolitan, Buck Godot, Wicked+Divine, and Lumberjanes, for example, all finished out their run and then ended. Same deal with most manga -- it's published one chapter at a time but sooner or later the story ends. Even settings that are in perpetual publication like Marvel often have story arcs or miniseries that eventually conclude and can then be read, like The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Gwenpool, Loki: Agent of Asgard,¹ and Nextwave.

And in the case of Saga specifically, IIRC the author has said that they do have an end planned for it and the story is currently somewhere in the second half. Not sure about Monstress.

I realize that a lot of people, probably most people, read this stuff chapter-by-chapter or volume-by-volume as it's released, but that doesn't work well for me, and my backlog of reading material is already so huge that it's hard to justify reading something unfinished when (a) I have no guarantee it will ever be finished -- even if the author has an ending planned, they might run out of money or lose interest or die before they conclude it -- and (b) doing so guarantees I'll have to reread it multiple times just to make sense of it, even if it's not something I would otherwise enjoying enough to be worth multiple readthroughs.

¹ although that one kind of hosed it up by having something like three massive universe-rewriting crossover events during its run that it was obligated to incorporate, to the severe detriment of it actually making sense

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was reading Saga by trade but even before the huge hiatus I would often forget what was going on whenever I picked up a new trade. It's why I'm going to wait until it's done to get back into it, and if that takes a long time them so be it. I've got lots of other stuff to read in the meantime.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm shocked to see just how poorly ComiXology's web browser replacement is, but more that it's been a month and not had a fix. This blows.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Took me til now to notice their sales/deals section, which is far less emphasized than before, is basically "here are all 2500+ titles on sale, good luck telling them apart, rear end in a top hat."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Took me til now to notice their sales/deals section, which is far less emphasized than before, is basically "here are all 2500+ titles on sale, good luck telling them apart, rear end in a top hat."

Because you're supposed to be searching for the exact thing you want and lucky you if it happens to be on sale. If you want curating, well better hope the publisher or vendor decided to do it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Space Fish posted:

Also, have fun buying all of them one at a time instead of adding them to your cart!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The comic deals page actually looks pretty close to the old format. Except for the whole Amazon is incapable of sorting by titles / series so within the sale itself everything is a mess.

Like right now I see Womens’s History Month followed by an Avengers sale then Image Omnibus Sale then anime, etc etc which is exactly how the main sales/deals page on Amazon was.

It’s still an overall loving mess and I think I’ve bought exactly one thing so far since the switchover.

Oh yeah buying multiple comics still looks like a nightmare.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 15, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait how do you find the sales section.

I found it once by accident and it looked more or less fine but getting there is a lot harder than I thought

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scroll way to the bottom of the landing page and there's "Deals on comics, graphics novels and manga"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Scroll way to the bottom of the landing page and there's "Deals on comics, graphics novels and manga"

It’s at the very top too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm blind

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

my favorite part about sales, is if I'm interested in what's going on, you click "see more"

and then you scroll to the bottom of the page, realize that it only shows about a third of what's on the carousel, and then there's this button

excellent desktop UI, amazon

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I know saying the comixology change sucks is old news, but it really really sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I tried downloading everything I had downloaded in the previous app, and it filled my iPad but I only had downloaded 3/4 of the stuff. The file sizes and/or allocation is way off. It took 523 GB for this.

Since then I have been deleting stuff form the app that I grabbed when they had DRM free downloads and putting it into YAC Reader. I’ve deleted over a 100 GB of stuff, but it has only freed up a few GBs of storage and still shows 523 used.

It looks like I will have to finish importing to YAC, then delete the Comixology app, then redownload what I want to have in the app to a manageable file size.

What a piece of poo poo.