Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrLogan posted:

That seems really weird/dumb. You'd think that 90% of the use case for batteries is for power failures.

I guess if you lived somewhere that had electricity with variable costs based on the time of day it could be helpful? Use batteries during the expensive times and refill when it's cheap?

That's a lot of the use cases, yeah. But I don't understand it either. It's not significantly more equipment/more expensive charge controller to make it work compared to a solar + battery install. I don't know if the Tesla system does this by default or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In california the electricity prices can double during 4-9pm. I think we were paying a base rate of $0.22/kwh and would spike to ~$0.50/kwh in the evenings

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

In california the electricity prices can double during 4-9pm. I think we were paying a base rate of $0.22/kwh and would spike to ~$0.50/kwh in the evenings

And since a lot of solar tech seems to be "california solutions to california problems" it probably explains the not working off grid thing.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Motronic posted:

That's a lot of the use cases, yeah. But I don't understand it either. It's not significantly more equipment/more expensive charge controller to make it work compared to a solar + battery install. I don't know if the Tesla system does this by default or not.

By default, the Powerwall can work off grid and you can set the time of use to minimize grid electric during peak hours (at least it was this way when we bought our solar).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrLogan posted:

By default, the Powerwall can work off grid and you can set the time of use to minimize grid electric during peak hours (at least it was this way when we bought our solar).

Can you do that without internet access? :)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It just integrates with Starlink to work off grid to charge my Tesla right?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What I needed to do: patch a hole where the bathroom doorknob hit the drywall.

What I did: patched it, and two old phone jacks downstairs, and patched the hole from the old light in the master bath ceiling. Oh that hole wasn't there this morning actually, it only existed because I swapped the center light for two canless lights. And because that was in the attic sort of I finally raked out the insulation I had piled up to replace other lights.

And since I had to go to home depot (I didn't), I got insulation for all the exposed hot water piping in by basement. Don't ya know it while I was looking around I found some serious holes in my ductwork to pookie up.

Help

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

What I needed to do: patch a hole where the bathroom doorknob hit the drywall.

What I did: patched it, and two old phone jacks downstairs, and patched the hole from the old light in the master bath ceiling. Oh that hole wasn't there this morning actually, it only existed because I swapped the center light for two canless lights. And because that was in the attic sort of I finally raked out the insulation I had piled up to replace other lights.

And since I had to go to home depot (I didn't), I got insulation for all the exposed hot water piping in by basement. Don't ya know it while I was looking around I found some serious holes in my ductwork to pookie up.

Help

Good news homes prices are up sell and rent a place

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Is there a "good" replacement for door stoppers?

You know, these deals:

These two poo poo heaps are all over the house. The rubber tip on most of them is either crumbled away, or taken off because they're too easy for small children to remove and choke on.

Is there something that actually works better? Seems there are several, uh, incidents where the PO opened a door too fast/hard. We need to replace them anyhow, so I'm hoping there's an upgrade option somewhere that doesn't suck. In my head, a gas cylinder with a weak magnet catch would be primo, but I don't know if that exists, and if it does it sounds horribly expensive.

edit:

While I'm on door chat:

What do y'all use for lubing hinges? loving dipshit PO used graphite everywhere, and now most of the doors and cabinets are stained with that poo poo. I normally use 3-in-1 oil, but I've read that that's not the best? Got some noisy hinges that need lubing and figured now's a good time to ask.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 28, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just a tiny bit of white lithium, or maybe silicone, maybe just some thin oil. I know people like graphite for certain things but a door hinge doesn't need it in my opinion, especially if you've got white doors. You don't need much.

Try a magic eraser to remove the stains.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Silicone spray works just fine. One little spray on the inside up top and it will wick through the whole thing without any drips. Have a paper towel ready just in case.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My house has round plastic circle things, painted over but visible, that stop the doorknob from smashing into drywall. They were here when I moved in and they seem to work great, if you don't mind the circles.

Also about once a month, my cat Billie Jean leaps up to tag the one in the bedroom. Only once, just she has an urge to tap it now and then that she can't resist.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leperflesh posted:

My house has round plastic circle things, painted over but visible, that stop the doorknob from smashing into drywall. They were here when I moved in and they seem to work great, if you don't mind the circles.

Also about once a month, my cat Billie Jean leaps up to tag the one in the bedroom. Only once, just she has an urge to tap it now and then that she can't resist.

IME those are covering up a dent or hole where the doorknob nailed the wall.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Perfect. Just buy a six-pack, and add one once every couple years when you get a bit feisty with a door (or a kid or pet does or whatever).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

IME those are covering up a dent or hole where the doorknob nailed the wall.

Yes, that's how you know exactly where to put them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I bought one of these for my side exterior door because there wasn't clearance for one of the baseboard style stoppers:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-1-in-Cast-Brass-Brushed-Chrome-Wall-Stop-with-Convex-Bumper-J-4647/202634831

Hard to tell from the photos but it's just larger than a quarter in size. I personally hate the look of most every kind of door stop, especially wall-mounted ones, so this was the least obtrusive one I could find. It works, I don't really love it. The stopper that attaches to the top door hinge in theory seems like the best option, but in practice I've found they will put a dent in a metal door and aren't kind to your walls.

If you have solid surface floors you could always get the floor mounted stoppers?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We had one of these on the bathroom door for ages:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-3-in-Satin-Nickel-Wall-Protector/3353172

Note that it needs to be mounted to either a stud or the baseboard - the drywall anchors that come with it will not hold for very long.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

How am I supposed to get these fences in over the carpet? When I tried to drill some screw holes it just pulled out a wad of the carpet and then it was impossible to find where the hole was afterwards.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

self tapping screw push down into carpet bam.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Ramset :smug:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Big thanks to whoever said CFLs can cause interference with garage door openers. I got two LEDs specially made for GDOs and now my keypad works on the first try.

I previously had to punch in the digits or hit enter a few times before it would open and sometimes it would work delayed and I'd end up stopping it 6" off the ground. I've been living like this for four years. I replaced the keypad once and it didn't help.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AHH F/UGH posted:

How am I supposed to get these fences in over the carpet? When I tried to drill some screw holes it just pulled out a wad of the carpet and then it was impossible to find where the hole was afterwards.

My last house that had these, and I was on a concrete slab, so there was a slit in the carpet, and a small piece of scrap wood was slid underneath it, and then the screws grabbed into that scrap wood though the carpet. It wasn't super sturdy, but it was enough to keep everything on track

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 1, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

My last house that had these, and I was on a concrete slab, so there was a slit in the carpet, and a small piece of scrap wood was slid underneath it, and then the screws grabbed into that scrap wood though the carpet. It wasn't super sturdy, but it was enough to keep everything on track

The correct way to do that would have been a tapcon.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My LG fridge stopped cooling over the weekend (I didn't buy it, came with the house). Cleaned the coils and dusted it out, but made no difference. I called some companies for them to come service it, but no one wants to come out. Apparently LG is a poo poo brand? I had to call LG directly and schedule a service appointment but it's going to take several days. Thankfully we have a mini-fridge to use in the meantime.

I think it's a compressor issue, and LG had a lot of recalls because of it, but my fridge isn't on the list of affected models.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Weaponized Autism posted:

My LG fridge stopped cooling over the weekend (I didn't buy it, came with the house). Cleaned the coils and dusted it out, but made no difference. I called some companies for them to come service it, but no one wants to come out. Apparently LG is a poo poo brand? I had to call LG directly and schedule a service appointment but it's going to take several days. Thankfully we have a mini-fridge to use in the meantime.

I think it's a compressor issue, and LG had a lot of recalls because of it, but my fridge isn't on the list of affected models.

Yes, LG is generally considered a poo poo brand, but that's not why they don't want to work on it. It's miserable to try to get parts. That's 100% on LG.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Weaponized Autism posted:

LG has had some issues with their compressors in the last few years. I bought a new (fairly expensive) LG fridge in July 2018 and it stopped cooling properly May, 2020.

Long story short, LG sent someone out, and the filter dryer can get clogged somehow, and it ends up burning up the compressor. We caught it really early. The repair guy replaced my filter dryer and vacuumed and recharged the system and I've had no issues since. Supposedly LG is providing a longer warranty on the fridge, I want to say 5 years, but I know if it breaks after the 5 year mark I'm just going to replace it with something else. My last house I had a basic rear end Whirlpool that was 9 years old when I left it for the new owner and it never had any issues. I'll probably buy another basic rear end Whirlpool when it's time to replace this LG.

The biggest issue is there is 1 company in my area that covers both San Antonio and Austin (well over 5 million people) so I think it took about 2 weeks to get the fridge repaired. Not a huge deal to us as I have a chest freezer and secondary refrigerator available, but could be an issue for others that don't have those things.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

DaveSauce posted:

Is there a "good" replacement for door stoppers?

You know, these deals:

Doorknob bumpers are the best idea, but if the only real option is the one pictured, I had better luck by mounting them up high where they'd hit the top of the door. In a couple cases I mounted them to the door itself but still up high where it would hit a piece of trim around another feature in the house. The big problem I always had with them was that I'd kick them and break them off. Mounting them high fixed that problem. Also keeps them away from the kids.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
It's time to replace my fridge! Recommendations for brands to consider? I know LG has had compressor issues per the above. Any other brands to avoid?

Also, has anyone gotten a thankless water heater, or a hybrid? Any recommendations or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Business, Finance, and Careers › House Ownership: has anyone gotten a thankless water heater

#1 question with tankless: what is your fuel source? If not gas/propane you probably don't want to do this. Most places will require a panel upgrade if not a service upgrade.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Not gonna edit it, love it.

Electric only here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wiggy Marie posted:

Not gonna edit it, love it.

Electric only here.

So if you're not in a very modern home you probably don't have 200 amp service as well as a spare spot in your panel. You might, so electric still may be on the table. You also need a location where it's not going to be too expensive to run a high amperage circuit from the panel to the location of the new tankless heater.

My best information on fridges is that they all kinda suck. I have a samsung. It's not very old and it's been great. I'd be pissed if it died this early, and it probably will.

Also, icemakers always break.

I think there were some thread recommended fridge brands/models so I'm sure someone will drop by with those soon enough.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Don't do thankless electric water for your main bulk water heating needs. You're looking at needing 6 poles of juice from your panel and enough margin on the main to not pop it. It's just a bad idea. Move your tank outside or something.

Fridges all suck under $10k just buy whatever is in style. Samsung make poo poo fridges. LG apparently makes poo poo ones. Bosch only makes dishwashers. Heck it's probably more like $15k with how prices are these days.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We've had relatively basic Whirlpool refrigerators in both houses, and been happy with them. The current one is the fanciest, because not only does it make ice (into a bin in the freezer) but it also has filtered water (from a spout INSIDE the fridge).

We've had good luck with our LG washer/dryer sets, but they're also fairly midrange models. I think our current topload HE/electric dryer set was only around $1900 new, and they've put up with 4 years of newborn- and toddler-quantity laundry admirably. I'm on my 5th load of the day, but that's because its my day off when literally 90% of our laundry gets done.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wiggy Marie posted:

It's time to replace my fridge! Recommendations for brands to consider? I know LG has had compressor issues per the above. Any other brands to avoid?

LG should have sorted the compressor issues by now. It wasn't actually the compressor failing, it was a faulty filter dryer in the cooling loop that fails and causes the compressor to burn out. Supposedly we caught my issue early, filter dryer was replaced and the compressor should have a normal life. I've had no cooling issues at all in the almost 2 years since the repair.

All I can say is simpler is better when it comes to the fridge. My next fridge will have no smart features, Ice maker in the freezer section (not the refrigerator section), and probably be made by Whirlpool or Frigidaire. I've had good personal luck with both of those brands.

I'm actually pretty happy with my LG fridge right now. I don't trust it long term though unfortunately. Appliance reliability has gone to poo poo as they chase more and more energy efficiency. My grandfather in law's house is full of appliances from the 70's and 80's that still work fantastically. They just use a poo poo ton of electricity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also keep in mind whenever you look at reviews for refrigerators that have ice makers, that at least half the bad reviews boil down to "I had no idea that the fridge making ice in the middle of the night would be noisy" and that's basically unavoidable.

If you don't like the sound of the fridge filling its ice trays, and then crunching them and dumping the ice periodically, don't get a fridge with an ice maker.

My GE fridge is still working fine 6+ years after we got it. I had very little options because I needed a nonstandard-width fridge, but it's fine. My only real complaint is that true-GE filters are expensive, and all the copycat generic filters loudly claim to have the same certificate, but the GE filters have two certs, the second being the more important, and none of the generics have that second cert, so still buy the name-brand ones. There's also, apparently, actual forgeries out there too, which LOL. But it's like $30+ per filter and each one lasts six months, so keep that cost in mind when you shop.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

According to internet reviews, every brand of major appliance is complete and utter poo poo. At least that’s what I can tell from researching washer/dryers.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Throw another positive review for the No-name Whirlpool fridge I got from IKEA. Been going great for 11 years with the sole exception of a known defect with the ice maker about 3 years in. Covered under warranty and a quick fix on my part.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

So if you're not in a very modern home you probably don't have 200 amp service as well as a spare spot in your panel. You might, so electric still may be on the table. You also need a location where it's not going to be too expensive to run a high amperage circuit from the panel to the location of the new tankless heater.

My best information on fridges is that they all kinda suck. I have a samsung. It's not very old and it's been great. I'd be pissed if it died this early, and it probably will.

Also, icemakers always break.

I think there were some thread recommended fridge brands/models so I'm sure someone will drop by with those soon enough.

We lucked into buying a fridge where the ice maker is ~$50 and comes out with two screws and an electrical connector. It's already failed once, but since it's so easy to swap it's not a huge issue.

The one my parents have has refrigeration lines running through it, which I imagine would make it very difficult to replace.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BadSamaritan posted:

According to internet reviews, every brand of major appliance is complete and utter poo poo. At least that’s what I can tell from researching washer/dryers.

This is pretty much true from what I can tell! Appliances are designed to last for 4 to 7 years before you toss them in a landfill and replace them with a competitor who is actually made by the same manufacturer

Miele, sub zero, and Bosch are good brands though. Maybe Viking? They had a bad decade but I think they have a new owner and are starting to reap the benefits of a big investment in R&D a few years back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

yeah I've pretty much subscibed to what looks good enough and is cheap that's not some super unkown off brand.