Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Finished up the story yesterday, was basically everything that I wanted in a Horizon sequel. Improved upon the already great gameplay, fun story with some cool twists, pretty much everything just was just better and man it was such a gorgeous game. Hard felt like a great difficulty level that kept you on your toes and carefully approaching each fight.

Around 70% complete after 55 hours. Did all of the side quests (much improved this time around), one Cauldron to go, all salvage quests done (love that armor), only did maybe two Hunting Grounds and Melee Pits so still some stuff to take care of. For whatever reason I didn't even try one Arena challenge. I know the Arena has some great loot but I just never felt like giving it a go. I'll finish all of these up and get the Plat in the next couple of weeks. For a game as huge as this it was remarkably stable - in all those hours I only had one hard crash and a couple of times where I needed to load a save game to fix a buggy quest progression.

Other Pros:
- As said side quests were much better and this time around there were more interesting characters that I cared about (and actually remember)- Loved how often the Forbidden West environments felt like a battlefield with ancient tanks and machines everywhere. The Horus machines are still terrifying to imagine in action
- Making the Tallnecks and Cauldrons more unique and puzzle-oriented was nice [spoilers]and a Tallneck Cauldron was awesome[/spoiler]- As others mentioned the amount of dialogue that changed to reflect Aloy's progress was unbelievable. It didn't really affect anything but was fun hearing everyone talking about your progress through the game
- I enjoyed all of the new characters, especially Alva. The Quen were a cool idea. Karl and Zo's relationship won me over and being able to visit his grave at the Base was a nice touch
- The Base was great and I loved going back there to talk to everybody and check out the changes between the missions
- The Vegas story was a lot of fun and really well-designed, maybe the best one in the game. I loved the way it played out with the Oseram troupe and those boys rule
- I really liked the Ted Faro resolution. I didn't want to actually see him or fight him but having him survive as this horrible mutated thing (but unseen) only to be roasted by the chump Ceo was pretty fitting and thematic with the Zeniths
- Riding around on a Sunwing rules. Wish it was a little faster but still such a great feeling and badass when you call them in for a pickup

Other Cons:
- Constantly picking up loot and resources is still a bummer. They added a loot chest (which is nice) but restricted the amount of certain resources you could onhand have which means you constantly have to use the loot chest to restock those certain types of ammo while constantly picking up resources from the constant amount of chests you found everywhere. I know they want to dissuade you from just being lazy and slinging bombs at everything all the time but perhaps there's a better way about it. I never liked the animal hunting and hope they just do away with that next time-
- Too many weapon options. I get where they were going here in offering weapons with different ammo/effects vs the more static options from HZD but I never found a configuration that I really liked. Going to six weapons in the wheel was great but the amount of weapons you could get and then need to upgrade was overwhelming and you would inevitably end up with purple/gold weapons it would take you hours to upgrade. I don't think I even upgraded one level of an orange weapon ever after all those hours and Easy Loot on
- The Western part of the map felt underused, especially San Francisco. There were some good missions there but it felt like you spent way more time in the Daunt or the desert than in San Fran
- Not NEARLY enough Sylens. I thought he'd play a much bigger role and it sucked that you really only had a couple of major conversations with him, with potentially tens of hours between speaking with him. Was glad that he stuck around at the end of the game and look forward to much more interaction with him in the next game. Can't get enough Lance Reddick
- The above applies to the other big antagonists as well. I think that Carrie-Anne Moss probably had the right amount of time but the other Zeniths, especially Gerrard the leader, had next to no development or interesting moments. Angela Bassett's Regalla needed wayyyy more time too. Feels like any big-name actor recorded their lines in a couple of days max. I don't really think this was a budget issue but in both games the real villains don't get a ton of screen time

The Future:
- Most series begin with smaller stakes and build up but in the Horizon series the literal end of the world has been there from the start. The next time around is yet another world-ending threat. Poor Aloy - she deserves a rest
- I wonder if they'll move out of North America since they've covered most of the interesting environment types. Where would they go next? The maps are always condensed so Europe might make sense for the next game as the place they need to go for the tech they need to defeat Nemesis. Easy to picture some of the most famous landmarks popping up next time, especially the way the maps are so condensed that you can run across 500 miles in a couple of minutes
-There's no way we aren't riding around on a massive robot in the next game. You got to have them on your side for that final assault and got you on a Sunwing but we still need to get that full Thunderjaw experience! That said I'm also pretty confident we're going to need to fight a Nemesis-reactivated Horus, the metal devils are too awesome and scary for Guerilla to resist giving us a fight against them
- Vast Silver popped up once again in a very conspicuous datapoint ("Past Silver") noting that it was still out there unaccounted for. Elysium came up a couple of times too. The way that HZD set up Far Zenith in datapoints means that there are definitely threads to keep following in the HFW datapoints. That datapoint also ends by calling Vast Silver "the singularity" - so if Nemesis is an AI singularity of all the dead FZ minds then maybe Vast Silver is an AI singularity of some kind on Earth that could help in the Nemesis fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Hollismason posted:

I got past the jumping part but now I'm in this AT the fight where the guy is invulnerable and you have to shoot couplings and its an annoying fight

That guy’s an rear end in a top hat

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

vanilla slimfast posted:

That guy’s an rear end in a top hat

He really is. I'm looking forward to hopefully kicking his rear end later.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Post-game ?: Do Gaia or Beta ever have more to say?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is it worth completing this quest in the Daunt where you have to climb all these towers to get these lenses?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hollismason posted:

Is it worth completing this quest in the Daunt where you have to climb all these towers to get these lenses?

Nope, it's weirdly unrewarding.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah it's like 15 shards per lens. Nice views I guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You do get some sort of reward for doing all of them. I forget what it is though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Apparently I've been slouching on not upgrading stuff because I have all the parts to upgrade the prototype bolt thrower fully.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Regy Rusty posted:

You do get some sort of reward for doing all of them. I forget what it is though.

You get a dye!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Went to finish Talana's quest chain insteadof doing the msq and then went to the nearby city afterwards to buy gear and uh, spwnt so much on new weapons and subsequent upgrades that I just about ran out of shards lmao.

Also, oh god I need so much greenshine stuff to upgrade all my new stuff...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Don't invest too much into greenshine weapons. Theres only enough slabs to upgrade one or maybe two at most.

Pick one and stick with it

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is there a Tideripper site besides the one in the southeast-ish between the daunt and no man's land because I'm trying to get some apex parts but there are no camps or shelters nearby so I gotta take a long moonlit swim out there every time to check.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
There is one in the very southwest corner of the world but it has a campfire nearby

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Been taking my time on my second playthrough on very hard. I didn't use a single valor or weapon skill through my entire regular playthrough and it's insane I was able to get anything done at all lmao. Braced shot rules.

I've got power shots boosted to level 3 but I don't get the ammo refill when I use it, do I need to have the valor bar fully filled up to get that effect?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes, to get the Rank 3 version of any valor surge you have to wait until all three segments at the bottom are filled.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, to get the Rank 3 version of any valor surge you have to wait until all three segments at the bottom are filled.

oh my god

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FrickenMoron posted:

Don't invest too much into greenshine weapons. Theres only enough slabs to upgrade one or maybe two at most.

Well that's definitely something good to know ahead of time. Now to hope I haven't already spent too much greenshine...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tip on fighting thunderjaws on very hard.

There is a level 15-17 quest after you cross the mountains west of plainsong, npc wants to collect his dead friends bodies, you fight ravagers then a thunderjaw. I was like level 18-19 and fighting a Thunderjaw is a nightmare on very hard, literally healing is useless because everything one shots you(other than his minigun fire) and I had already ran out of herbal plants. This fight further consolidates how broken the chemical reaction is. If you just go under the thunderjaw and hit the canistars under his tail with shock arrows, you can get him knocked down 3 times. You can get 3 critical strikes on him for free. If you critical strike him and have the critical strike bonus from melee tree you will probably take half his health just from 3 button prompts. After that I would valor surge into boltblaster to get rid of his long ranged weapons. Boltbaster is a terrible item because it reduces your mobility so much but when enemies are downed you have a few seconds after you land your critical strike where they are still down, if you valor surge into boltblaster you can completely tear their weapon components off, if you use concentration during this even better. This is higher dps than using valor surge double shot.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

There is one in the very southwest corner of the world but it has a campfire nearby

Thanks, now I just need to find a stormbird site because it seems like everything requires its parts to upgrade

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone got any tips on putting down a Slitherfang more easily? I can contend with most of the nastier robots okay, but I just can't get the hang of fighting those drat colossal snakes.

Ulio posted:

Tip on fighting thunderjaws on very hard.

There is a level 15-17 quest after you cross the mountains west of plainsong, npc wants to collect his dead friends bodies, you fight ravagers then a thunderjaw. I was like level 18-19 and fighting a Thunderjaw is a nightmare on very hard, literally healing is useless because everything one shots you(other than his minigun fire) and I had already ran out of herbal plants. This fight further consolidates how broken the chemical reaction is. If you just go under the thunderjaw and hit the canistars under his tail with shock arrows, you can get him knocked down 3 times. You can get 3 critical strikes on him for free. If you critical strike him and have the critical strike bonus from melee tree you will probably take half his health just from 3 button prompts. After that I would valor surge into boltblaster to get rid of his long ranged weapons. Boltbaster is a terrible item because it reduces your mobility so much but when enemies are downed you have a few seconds after you land your critical strike where they are still down, if you valor surge into boltblaster you can completely tear their weapon components off, if you use concentration during this even better. This is higher dps than using valor surge double shot.

Traps are your friend for the Big Boy robots, because they deal a LOT of damage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Slitherfangs are weak to plasma, you can use arrows to ignite its head canisters then unload braced shots and spears on its acid/purgewater sacs for the big boom. Tearing off the earthgrinders underneath its mouth will also prevent it from burrowing, depending on what's killing you.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Shellsnappers are the ones that've been the bane of my existence (and the thing that finally drove me to drop "Damage to Aloy" down to Hard). Most other machines I've figured out the best way to take them down relatively quickly, but those drat turtles are always a slog. Targeting the shell clamps to knock off the shell is the way I've been doing it, and the way I think it's supposed to be done, but even that takes forever. And elemental attacks like acid are nice, but the drat thing just burrows to remove them. Meanwhile it's spitting ice attacks that make the battlefield harder to dodge on, burrowing around so it's either almost out of range or right next to me, and before I dropped the difficulty down, always at risk of a one hit kill if I slipped up for a second. I don't think I've fought one without it taking at least ten minutes, using up all my health items, and leaving me at the verge of death even when I do beat it. Thunderjaws and Stormbirds are a cakewalk in comparison.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
What the heck am I supposed to do on this Salvage Contract, where I have to go to the Lancehorn site? I went there and slaughtered the whole herd and got the dialogue that I needed to return to the contractor, but that didn't seem to complete it. Reading online, apparently you need to scare the herd and then kill them, so, I've reloaded and rode a charger over to the site to scare them away, but they just instantly attack.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tensai posted:

What the heck am I supposed to do on this Salvage Contract, where I have to go to the Lancehorn site? I went there and slaughtered the whole herd and got the dialogue that I needed to return to the contractor, but that didn't seem to complete it. Reading online, apparently you need to scare the herd and then kill them, so, I've reloaded and rode a charger over to the site to scare them away, but they just instantly attack.

You've gotta kill them while mounted IIRC.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FrickenMoron posted:

Well poo poo I hope I haven't already spread myself too thin, that's really annoying.

Is there a spoiler-free list of greenshine weapons anywhere I can look up so I know in advance? Although at least the sharpshot bow I bought and started upgrading is almost definitely going to be one I choose, I suppose.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Red eye watcher corpses still keep making clicking sounds (at their own dedicated sites and at Clamberjaw sites) and it's makes me paranoid that I forgot to take one out, is this intentional or a bug

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh they released a patch today

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/t4x320/horizon_forbidden_west_patch_106/

There's spoilers in it so I'm not gonna post the whole list because I skimmed it really fast to try and avoid spoilers for stuff I haven't gotten to yet. But the most important part is spoiler free:

quote:

Aloy will not mention her stash quite as often as before.

Hopefully this means they're going to work on the other voice lines too...

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ran by a rebel outpost with several mounted fireclaws. Kept on running

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh they released a patch today

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/t4x320/horizon_forbidden_west_patch_106/

There's spoilers in it so I'm not gonna post the whole list because I skimmed it really fast to try and avoid spoilers for stuff I haven't gotten to yet. But the most important part is spoiler free:

Hopefully this means they're going to work on the other voice lines too...

Looks like they haven't fixed Devil's Grasp. That's a bummer. :sigh:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah, I consider this a major flaw. I spend several slabs upgrading a bow I don't even use anymore because I didn't know it was a finite resource. I don't seem to have enough near the end of the game to upgrade the bows I do want to use.

I need at least 5 more slabs just for the weapons I'm holding and I've already spent I think 5. Not even counting other weapons I don't have yet.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Thanks, did not realize this!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, I consider this a major flaw. I spend several slabs upgrading a bow I don't even use anymore because I didn't know it was a finite resource. I don't seem to have enough near the end of the game to upgrade the bows I do want to use.

I need at least 5 more slabs just for the weapons I'm holding and I've already spent I think 5. Not even counting other weapons I don't have yet.

I guess the only hope would be an eventual NG+ that resets the map for collecting the greenshine again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm just going to collect greenshine then consider it a end game upgrade then if its a finite resource I don't want to use it to early.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If it makes you feel any better the REAL primo endgame legendary stuff doesn't require you to collect any Greenshine (just kill about a million Dreadwings and Tiderippers).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
where are the legendary weapons? i have one spikethrower from a quest which i probably won't use because it lacks drill spikes, but that's it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Utaru architecture looks really cool. This game is pretty gorgeous in general, especially on the OLED. Night-time + moon + water is very pretty.

Hollismason posted:

Found a Side quest that was level 15 , but I did it anyway and ended up facing my very first Snapjaw, which after banging my head against trying to kill it for a while I ended up killing it with some rocks, which was cool and good

I'm now level 14, I really need better weapons or at least weapons that offer fire and electricity or something because drat all these robots are vulnerable to fire and electricity and i only got acid.

I've started heavily relying on electricity, because it's a way to down machines (which against most machines lets you kill them - or close - with a critical strike).

Going to try out the machine gun-ish weapon soon to see how good that is at applying elements (I have one with electric + regular ammo). I rarely used it in the first game and I'm trying to expand my toolset more in this one. In the original I mostly just used sharpshooter bow + hunter bow + tripcaster.

Hollismason posted:

Is the spike thrower worth it? Because seriously I been using it at level 1 and it doesn't really good any damage. It's also super loving slow and difficult to use.

It seems really good to me? Are you sure you're not missing the explosion damage? The initial hit (with the first one you get) barely does any damage, but it's followed up with an explosion a second or two later. I think the sustained damage might be better than most (if not all) other weapons. Not sure how it compares with an explosion blast sling.

IcePhoenix posted:

Also you can get a weapon skill that turns them into a rocket

I just unlocked this, since I'm going down the Machine skill tree (partly due to wanting to unlock some spike thrower skills). Some of thee skills in this tree seem kind of lame (I don't exactly do much combat while on my mount), though overriding seems situationally useful and I imagine the "move faster while using a heavy weapon" could actually be pretty good against the big machines that drop weapons.

exquisite tea posted:

If that part gets too tricky remember you can set concentration time to be infinite.

This reminds me of another extremely good suggestion - turning the Weapon Wheel slowdown as high as possible (I think under Accessibility settings). I don't think this even counts as any sort of difficulty setting, so there's not really any reason to not do it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

exquisite tea posted:

If it makes you feel any better the REAL primo endgame legendary stuff doesn't require you to collect any Greenshine (just kill about a million Dreadwings and Tiderippers).

Yeah I was glad I have the Skykiller spike thrower and just gotta hunt some apex machines which come out more often at night apparently. Had to kill four tiderippers just to get two parts tho

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

where are the legendary weapons? i have one spikethrower from a quest which i probably won't use because it lacks drill spikes, but that's it

Mostly the arena vendor.

A couple from quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

3 from the Arena
1 from clearing all 6 Rebel Outposts (from Erend's quest after)
1 from a quest at Legacy's Landfall
1 from S-Ranking all the Hunting Grounds
1 from collecting all the black boxes
1 from doing all the relic runs

I think that's it? Don't think there's a legendary ropecaster, unfortunately.