Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We had... Um... A few RSA tokens to get rid of today...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Reading the manual is like reading the IKEA instructions. Shameful really.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I don't know much past the wikipedia page but they have ultra aggressive marketing with ads on busses, tv, taped to street lights, and posters in small businesses. Although they've never bothered me personally so they're way ahead of a number of other organized religions.
https://twitter.com/gilbertjasono/status/1344138274948976641?lang=en

According to Yelp reviews there's a few dances that somewhat resemth ble the trailers but maybe less coordinated, then a bunch of songs about how evolution is a lie and homosexuality is evil, then songs about how the communist party is evil and Falun gong is not, repeat NOT a cult while most of the audience walks out mid-performance dazed by incompréhension.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

evilpicard posted:

According to Yelp reviews there's a few dances that somewhat resemth ble the trailers but maybe less coordinated, then a bunch of songs about how evolution is a lie and homosexuality is evil, then songs about how the communist party is evil and Falun gong is not, repeat NOT a cult while most of the audience walks out mid-performance dazed by incompréhension.

This is blowing my mind. I'm pretty sure I saw them back in 2015 or 2016 and don't recall any of this.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chaotic Flame posted:

This is blowing my mind. I'm pretty sure I saw them back in 2015 or 2016 and don't recall any of this.

I think they've gotten worse, as a cult

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cthulu Carl posted:

We had... Um... A few RSA tokens to get rid of today...

Yea that is a lot of tokens. Why?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea that is a lot of tokens. Why?

Parent company is getting away from hard tokens. I think there's a few exceptions, but they're so rare that no one wanted to enter the ones we had into the parent companies system, I guess.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

zedprime posted:

If you have time sheets requirements for salaried (ex. You just can't stop paying them if they gently caress up their time sheet) it's either the manager or owner is a huge dipshit, you're billable so it's required for revenue generation,

I work for a consultancy and me and all my colleagues are billable, but I really hate it when they imply that timesheets somehow have something to do with payroll.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

zedprime posted:

Calling it stupid can set you up to further micromanage it because now it's officially their lowest priority.

If you have time sheets requirements for salaried (ex. You just can't stop paying them if they gently caress up their time sheet) it's either the manager or owner is a huge dipshit, you're billable so it's required for revenue generation, and/or you're in a huge company that accounts for time in the accounting ledger so you can thank Enron for SOX recommending you personally redundantly enter in 40 hours a week on DumbGenericTimeCode so some dipshit with stock options isn't turning your work hours into HR indirect to make the Widget division look like it's making value out of nothing at all.

We had to bill time to projects at my previous work, even though we were salaried and the projects were fixed budget (i.e., we got paid what we originally quoted, not based on how long we originally took). We were explicitly told to not bill the number of hours we actually worked, because then the projects wouldn't look profitable. 40 hours per week, 8 of which had to be billed to training, even when we were putting 60-70 hours on the project every week for months on end. It was all internal accounting make-believe.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

evilpicard posted:

"Scientology with Chinese characteristics" is a common description.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Love to get threatened with a write up for not getting an expense report in on time when everything was submitted by Friday. Sent screenshot of every expense this month showing the date they were submitted, response was "They need to be approved, not just submitted."

Told them that since I cannot approve my own expenses that does not sound like a me problem, oh and also where is the identity protection we were promised two weeks ago after someone stole all our data the company was trusted with protecting?

Spoiler: We're not getting it. They "determined the victims of the data breach and those affected were offered the protection. If it is determined your data was affected you will be offered the package."

ie Please find the nearest beach and pound all of that sand up your rear end, thanks. - Management

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My new boss has just discovered $350k in unpaid invoices, stretching back to December 2020. My former boss/somehow still employed VP was just sitting on them, couldn't have been bothered to so much as forward them to the accounting guy.

She asked me what it takes to get fired from this company. I just laughed and told her this was the tip of the iceberg with that guy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Super Waffle posted:

My new boss has just discovered $350k in unpaid invoices, stretching back to December 2020. My former boss/somehow still employed VP was just sitting on them, couldn't have been bothered to so much as forward them to the accounting guy.

She asked me what it takes to get fired from this company. I just laughed and told her this was the tip of the iceberg with that guy.

A universal Law of Business, big or small, is that the criteria for what it takes to get fired can vary wildly from place to place. At many places "incompetence" is simply not on the list.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My company does the billable salary thing. We do it so we can get together a reasonable bid package for work and work out how much our clients owe. I've had many many months that were blank and my boss/owner of the company not giving a single poo poo. I work in controls and automation. So x hours of investigation, x hours of CAD work, so and so on.

Right now I'm contracted out to a catalyst plant run by Shell as their PLC/DCS automation dude. It's the slowest moving place I've ever been. It's takes days for a logic change to go through, which is actually nice since I can take my time and make sure nothing is going to explode before I implement my change.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Critical posted:

Love to get threatened with a write up for not getting an expense report in on time when everything was submitted by Friday. Sent screenshot of every expense this month showing the date they were submitted, response was "They need to be approved, not just submitted."

Told them that since I cannot approve my own expenses that does not sound like a me problem, oh and also where is the identity protection we were promised two weeks ago after someone stole all our data the company was trusted with protecting?

Spoiler: We're not getting it. They "determined the victims of the data breach and those affected were offered the protection. If it is determined your data was affected you will be offered the package."

ie Please find the nearest beach and pound all of that sand up your rear end, thanks. - Management

I'm currently working on migrating our purchasing cards to a new vendor and staring at purchase cards that haven't been reconciled (so we can close out their old card) since October and their managers don't give a poo poo about enforcing the policy :sigh:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

After taking a 15% (5 years of raises gone like that) pay cut for the 'privilege' of staying a remote employee I have given notice and accepted a new job for over double my current pay.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My work just lifted all in-office mask mandates a month before starting to bring everyone back in to said offices. Infection rates are going down so we should stop all preventative measures immediately. Like when your house is on fire and the firetruck is there spraying water on it? Once the flames start to get smaller just go ahead and turn all that poo poo off and send them home, fire has been defeated we need to get things back to normal :downs:

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, my parents went to a show a couple of years back and all they mentioned was some gimmick they had where they would pretend one of the performers would dive into a movie screen behind them and become a projection and fly around and stuff.

toplitzin posted:

After taking a 15% (5 years of raises gone like that) pay cut for the 'privilege' of staying a remote employee I have given notice and accepted a new job for over double my current pay.

Good on ye' :hfive:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

toplitzin posted:

Good for you. I can't believe any company is essentially charging their employees to work remote, but here we are. My company did frequent temperature checks on returning to the office (and set it up so the surveys HEAVILY favored coming back in) and found out they would have an exodus on their hands if they tried that. Instead they made it incredibly easy to WFH and are now putting "Any company location or remote" in almost every job posting.

Speaking of new jobs:

I told my backup person I'm leaving for another group yesterday and it turns out she's taking a six week medical leave after a procedure at about the same time I'm scheduled to leave the team. This is causing some actual panic because not having purchasing coverage would grind the organization to a halt, but my new manager is already short staffed and so can't afford to delay me onboarding fully more than he already is (I'll be half and half until April 1st). Consolation prize for my current manager is that I'll still work for the company after the move, so there's maybe a chance for some emergency work if it's absolutely life or death. I've already started to mentally check out of this job, which usually doesn't happen until the last few days. Yesterday an internal customer tried to get me to do something I didn't feel like doing and so I opted to lecture him about configuration management instead. Everything I need to do is getting done, but I'm just not wasting energy or time on these petty or pointless tasks.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

toplitzin posted:

Gonna be wild when they go to replace you and suddenly realize that they have to pay someone more than they were originally paying you AND every candidate asks about a hybrid / WFH model.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon is a stupid place and the only reason we ship anything is a mixture of automation, inertia and accident. At no point does conscious will to ship anything enter the mix.

Internal IMs are split between Chime and Slack, with peasants on the former and managers on the latter. Technically managers are supposed to be on both but we know exactly how that works out 99% of the time (my current manager is one of the few exceptions which is nice). Slack requires you to have a physical 2FA key. Not a problem for managers who have their own laptop. Not a problem when I'm on my normal troubleshooting job as I have a desktop workstation I log into.

Oh yeah I'm one of the few, chosen peasants allowed to have Chime/a 2FA key because my job actually requires me to be able to grab managers by the ear and get their attention lest the building grind to a halt.

When I'm in training mode, like I've been last couple of nights, I use a handheld kindle. I used to have a way to get to my paperwork that was 2-3 taps. However that path triggers the 2FA wall. So now I have to take the new and improved path that takes closer to 15 steps. Oh and involves steps like "scroll down to edit the view or the link you need doesn't actually show up" and "Okay, click this option and it will take you a page that looks exactly the same at first glance." All to reach the exact same forms and paperwork so that people get their training recorded. Oh and technically this is the proper way to get there, I'll admit the old way is officially depreciated and yet no one ever culls the apps on the kindles so there's an easy to use icon.

So yes, I have reached too high of a security clearance with IT to easily reach some of my work and have to do a digital hokey pokey because I can't fit a full sized USB key into the USB-C port on the kindle to do the safety dance.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Alkydere posted:

Amazon is a stupid place and the only reason we ship anything is a mixture of automation, inertia and accident. At no point does conscious will to ship anything enter the mix.

Internal IMs are split between Chime and Slack, with peasants on the former and managers on the latter. Technically managers are supposed to be on both but we know exactly how that works out 99% of the time (my current manager is one of the few exceptions which is nice). Slack requires you to have a physical 2FA key. Not a problem for managers who have their own laptop. Not a problem when I'm on my normal troubleshooting job as I have a desktop workstation I log into.

Oh yeah I'm one of the few, chosen peasants allowed to have Chime/a 2FA key because my job actually requires me to be able to grab managers by the ear and get their attention lest the building grind to a halt.

When I'm in training mode, like I've been last couple of nights, I use a handheld kindle. I used to have a way to get to my paperwork that was 2-3 taps. However that path triggers the 2FA wall. So now I have to take the new and improved path that takes closer to 15 steps. Oh and involves steps like "scroll down to edit the view or the link you need doesn't actually show up" and "Okay, click this option and it will take you a page that looks exactly the same at first glance." All to reach the exact same forms and paperwork so that people get their training recorded. Oh and technically this is the proper way to get there, I'll admit the old way is officially depreciated and yet no one ever culls the apps on the kindles so there's an easy to use icon.

So yes, I have reached too high of a security clearance with IT to easily reach some of my work and have to do a digital hokey pokey because I can't fit a full sized USB key into the USB-C port on the kindle to do the safety dance.

Am I have a stroke or did you post this exact story in another thread phrased differently? I swear I read everything down to the chime/slack split and 2FA issues recently.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I posted it in Retail Hell, yes. I just felt it also fit here.

Honestly 99.5% of what Amazon does belongs here. The automation really does allow us to work stupid, faster.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MagusofStars posted:

Gonna be wild when they go to replace you and suddenly realize that they have to pay someone more than they were originally paying you AND every candidate asks about a hybrid / WFH model.

You'd think they'd have a clue when the last two reqs are STILL open months later.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Alkydere posted:

If it actually would work connected to the Kindle, there are plenty of USB A -> USB C cables / OTG adaptors available. I would easily believe they decided on MFA token hardware that wouldn't work on a Kindle regardless though :sigh:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Automation is making us stupider. I should know, I am an industrial automation engineer.

It's more of the stupid poo poo our clients do. I do new installs, upgrades, and trouble calls.

A lot of the machines i troubleshoot are as old as me or older. I've had to use DOS in tyool 2021.

Machine a coworker replaced was an IBM AT. It w backed upwith a 5 1/4 floppy. It was replaced last year.

I've been on 100s of calls, 99% of them are oh the plc is doing something funny, program must of changed. No, no it didn't, your field device took a poo poo. Get a new one and I'll make sure it works right with the old system.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

dervinosdoom posted:

Automation is making us stupider. I should know, I am an industrial automation engineer.

It's more of the stupid poo poo our clients do. I do new installs, upgrades, and trouble calls.

A lot of the machines i troubleshoot are as old as me or older. I've had to use DOS in tyool 2021.

Machine a coworker replaced was an IBM AT. It w backed upwith a 5 1/4 floppy. It was replaced last year.

I've been on 100s of calls, 99% of them are oh the plc is doing something funny, program must of changed. No, no it didn't, your field device took a poo poo. Get a new one and I'll make sure it works right with the old system.

I have had the opportunity to pivot into manufacturing automation engineering about fifteen times in my career and this is why I don’t do it lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Takes No Damage posted:

My work just lifted all in-office mask mandates a month before starting to bring everyone back in to said offices. Infection rates are going down so we should stop all preventative measures immediately. Like when your house is on fire and the firetruck is there spraying water on it? Once the flames start to get smaller just go ahead and turn all that poo poo off and send them home, fire has been defeated we need to get things back to normal :downs:

Alkydere posted:

Pick up a USB A -> USB C adapter, they're tiny and you'll probably want it for other things with USB A adapters once they become rate (see: MBPs)

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bastard Tetris posted:

I have had the opportunity to pivot into manufacturing automation engineering about fifteen times in my career and this is why I don’t do it lol

Every PLC manufactorer has to have their own comms protocol and programming software. Thankfully different flavors of ethernet protocols are finally becoming mainstream (ethernet/IP, profinet, twincat) that I only need an ethernet cable for.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I saw them at the Smith Center in Vegas in early 2020 right at the start of the pandemic and don't remember any of this, but it did have a culty vibe with propaganda inserted in several places and one full section. It seemed a lot more anti China government than pro cult though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Meanwhile, in government: You use your physical PIV card to log into a computer via the RFID chip in the card. The computer reads the card, says “oh hi MrYenko, please select the desired credential” and then lists EVERY PIV CREDENTIAL THAT HAS EVER BEEN USED TO LOG INTO THAT COMPUTER. For our “public” terminals this can be three or four hundred credentials. Organized by last login, not alphabetically.

You then still need a PIN number to go with your physical card, and then at least five different username/password combos which have to be reset every three months and can’t be reused.

Oh, and almost none of our terminals have properly configured utility software, so when your daily briefing items include a pdf portfolio (multiple PDF files, so about half of the items you get on a daily basis,) you have to go login to one of the two or three “public” terminals that actually have a government license for Acrobat, since Firefox/chrome won’t open them.

:suicide:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

does anyone lese here read PIV as Penis In Vagina and not Personal Identification Verification?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tarkus posted:

does anyone lese here read PIV as Penis In Vagina and not Personal Identification Verification?

Conversely whenever I see someone use PIV in relation to sexual activity, I get extremely confused how anyone would be aroused by an ID card.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Not my work but thought you guys might like it:
https://twitter.com/itkeekz/status/1499075108912181248

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Tarkus posted:

Yup. TLA are idiotic.

Dumb poo poo of the week: arguing with me about IP codes (as in Ingress Protection) and selling a customer an IP67 product instead of IP66 "because it's rated higher". Happened before with IP69K and IP68 too. Yes I know this is boring jargon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Alkydere posted:

I posted it in Retail Hell, yes. I just felt it also fit here.

Honestly 99.5% of what Amazon does belongs here. The automation really does allow us to work stupid, faster.

Sabotage em from within IMHO

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

New coworker was covering for me for a few weeks and did pretty well except for a few hiccups. Later learned coworker wasn’t sure about a few steps and had tried to check with a compliance dept, except the compliance dept management had no clue what their own procedures are so gave bad advice.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
News from attorney yesterday: My ex-employers counsel has responded to our demand letter. They have requested time to conduct their investigation and expect to return with a response by Friday, March 25th.

For those curious about the process, when I asked for a professional opinion of what to expect next it went about like this:

It's very good to have the company's response this early, because my deadline to file this complaint through the EEOC is 07/06. This give us plenty of time to deal with everything and it's just good to have the gears turning.

So you guys know as much as I do right now. We'll see what news the next three weeks brings.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sabotage em from within IMHO

Two problems with that.

The minor problem: I would likely lose my easy rear end job where I don't sweat for Amazon.
The major problem: they wouldn't notice as anything I could do without getting in trouble would be lost in the white noise.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Spatule posted:

Yup. TLA are idiotic.

Dumb poo poo of the week: arguing with me about IP codes (as in Ingress Protection) and selling a customer an IP67 product instead of IP66 "because it's rated higher". Happened before with IP69K and IP68 too. Yes I know this is boring jargon.

That's always the fun time to ask them if they are planning on swimming with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Spatule posted:

Yup. TLA are idiotic.

ICUP69