Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

The dnd thread is awful, you honestly get more level headed and informative posting in the Cspam equivalent.

Unless your version of level headedness is supporting Russia, I’m not so sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pistol_Pete posted:

The dnd thread is awful, you honestly get more level headed and informative posting in the Cspam equivalent.

Well lots of Putin apologists in there so makes sense you would think that.

(the main dnd thread is also garbage but in a different way)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I mean I do feel like pretty much all discussion on Ukraine is 'pick a side and reject anything anyone says against that side out of hand as lies'. I think the pro-Putin side is much more guilty of this, but nonetheless we can't ignore the implications of the Azov Battalion etc being full on neo-nazis, which is doubly important given they're an official part of the Ukrainian gendarmerie, not just some independent fash group. I am extremely uncomfortable with them being portrayed in the Western media as totally cool noble freedom fighters!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I stopped reading the DnD thread when the general consensus was that actually it is very heroic to arm civilians to shoot the russians and if you suggest otherwise it is because you are too soft and have not experienced enough hardship in your life and they should have the opportunity to die heroically.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

also tactical analysis, rather than omg 2000 russian tanks have just been blowed up, honest

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I do wonder how the "No Fly Zone" crowd would react when confronted by the cost of enforcing said zone even if thermonuclear annihilation wasn't on the table. How many dozens of fighters and pilots would be an appropriate cost I wonder.

Russia still haven't managed to stomp all of Ukraine's AA capacity at this point so good luck doing the same to Russia without turning the Russian controlled bits into ash with cruise missiles or just burning through planes doing SEAD.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

I stopped reading the DnD thread when the general consensus was that actually it is very heroic to arm civilians to shoot the russians and if you suggest otherwise it is because you are too soft and have not experienced enough hardship in your life and they should have the opportunity to die heroically.

Yeah it's genuinely heartbreaking seeing families being split up because of the dumb gently caress policy that able bodied men have to stay and fight, as if they owe poo poo to their stupid country

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The hazy days of yore when sanctions were Very Effective Actually, see South Africa, etc.

It's kind of funny to recall how the left/right discourse on it morphed across the 2010s as targeted financial sanctions coalesced into policies and regulations

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have been assured that it is a completely independent personal decision they are making to fight and you should not suggest anything other than that the only external factor that may lead someone to die involuntarily is the russians.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 2, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I have been assured that it is a completely independent personal decision they are making to fight and you should not suggest the only external factor that may lead someone to die involuntarily is the russians.

You can die fighting the Russians or you can die a Russian saboteur.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I can totally see Raab or Patel pushing to reimplement the draft 'just in case'

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

American Gun Fetishism is incredibly pervasive

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ThomasPaine posted:

Speaking of NI my partner pointed out the other day that all these newscasters saying the quiet part out loud about unprecedented conflict in Europe must have been received with some bemusement in Belfast and Derry, not to mention the former Yugoslavia.

i was gonna ask someone if i'd gone mad but all the 'first war in europe in 80years' hysteria stuff was like err the entire 90s? there were tank battles and everything?

broadcast media is just open nonsense at this point

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The war in kosovo isn't something I remember very well as I was young at the time but I at least do remember that it happened, I assume people old enough to remember better should have less trouble with it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

There are accounts of families getting to the border and them letting the mum and kids through while telling that dad 'tough luck, back to Kiev with you to face the Russian tanks. No military training or weapon? Well, good luck!' It's actually a properly sad and inhuman policy and I'm kinda mad it's mostly being ignored or hand-wrung away by the Western media because obviously Ukraine can do no wrong atm. Can you imagine how people would react if it was ordinary Brits being expected to sacrifice themselves in some pointless doomed defence?

Thinking out loud, but something something about how the conflict shows the murky semi-whiteness Eastern Europeans occupy today.

Rustybear posted:

i was gonna ask someone if i'd gone mad but all the 'first war in europe in 80years' hysteria stuff was like err the entire 90s? there were tank battles and everything?

broadcast media is just open nonsense at this point

tbf I think we all know what they mean, and when you crack the code it's pretty obvious why Bosnia isn't considered 'European' for their purposes.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
literal white european people in literal tanks literally fighting with each other on literal European soil far to the west of the current conflict so even the nudge nudge win wink yeah but people who look like us stuff doesn't apply

there is exactly one war in history and it concluded in 1945

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1499053533584314380

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

OwlFancier posted:

The war in kosovo isn't something I remember very well as I was young at the time but I at least do remember that it happened, I assume people old enough to remember better should have less trouble with it.

also the war in bosnia and the serbo-croat war which is what i was reaching for

also coming away from yugoslav which feels almost like cheating it's so obvious, there's the turkish invasion of cyprus and a ton of internal 'civil' conflicts which as the joke goes weren't very civil at all...and who could forget the cod wars

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The media is basically this at the moment
https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1499036555515678723

also namechange pls mods

jiggerypokery posted:

American Gun Fetishism is incredibly pervasive
Until the Vietnamese do it.

Rustybear posted:

there is exactly one war in history and it concluded in 1945
Surabaya :hmmyes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress me my energy supplier wants to start charging me £127 a month, a guy who lives in his own and spends most of the week at work.

This time last year it was £50.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ThomasPaine posted:

There are accounts of families getting to the border and them letting the mum and kids through while telling that dad 'tough luck, back to Kiev with you to face the Russian tanks. No military training or weapon? Well, good luck!' It's actually a properly sad and inhuman policy and I'm kinda mad it's mostly being ignored or hand-wrung away by the Western media because obviously Ukraine can do no wrong atm. Can you imagine how people would react if it was ordinary Brits being expected to sacrifice themselves in some pointless doomed defence?

Thinking out loud, but something something about how the conflict shows the murky semi-whiteness Eastern Europeans occupy today.

tbf I think we all know what they mean, and when you crack the code it's pretty obvious why Bosnia isn't considered 'European' for their purposes.

right but serbia and croatia are more white and more christian than the ukraine is; it's genuine actual ignorance rather than coded racism

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

The Nuclear annihilation of your entire family, friends and pets: 52% / 48%

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean I do feel like pretty much all discussion on Ukraine is 'pick a side and reject anything anyone says against that side out of hand as lies'. I think the pro-Putin side is much more guilty of this, but nonetheless we can't ignore the implications of the Azov Battalion etc being full on neo-nazis, which is doubly important given they're an official part of the Ukrainian gendarmerie, not just some independent fash group. I am extremely uncomfortable with them being portrayed in the Western media as totally cool noble freedom fighters!

Better to have them in the tent pissing out than outside pissing in, don't like them but they are there and until they commit an atrocity they can take a bullet instead of a Ukranian. :colbert: :ukraine:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aren't the azov guys.. also Ukrainian?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Kin posted:

So, I just took the plunge and grabbed the "loyal customer" fixed price with Octopus.

£212 a loving month.

What the christ? I'm on the standard variable rate with British Gas and my Electricity and Gas combined for this past quarter was £140. :psyduck:

e: Very worried as to what next quarter's bill might be. D:

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 2, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Rustybear posted:

The Nuclear annihilation of your entire family, friends and pets: 52% / 48%

are you implying sanctions would lead to Nuclear war?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

As far as I was aware they are Ukrainian turbo-nationalists, yeah

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

All according to keikaku

War really is a gift to tories (red, blue or yellow)

Pistol_Pete posted:

troot

Jel Shaker posted:

also tactical analysis, rather than omg 2000 russian tanks have just been blowed up, honest

troot

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What if this isn't the case? The it being doomed?

Civilians with AK47s and molotov cocktails and no training are, in fact, doomed against an actual army, I'm afraid

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 2, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ThomasPaine posted:

Being expected to sacrifice themselves in some pointless doomed defence?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

seems they have collected a few ultra fash psychos across europe over the past few years, there’s a video of some croatian volunteers for example

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

I think the implication was that 52% of Brits will vote for self immolation.

Barry Foster posted:

All according to keikaku
[translator's note: keikaku means naked opportunism as a break from useless flailing]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

I can totally see Raab or Patel pushing to reimplement the draft 'just in case'

National Service was ended at the absolute insistence of the armed forces themselves and they've only ever got more opposed to it. It's not like we've even got enough kit to keep our current lot supplied (or warehouses full of Lee-Enfields left over from WW1 to hand out like we did in 1939), and modern warfare just doesn't need warm bodies holding guns any more.

At least one, extremely powerful, argument used against going to a Swiss-style citizen's militia model (one proposal for the continuation of National Service but on a smaller scale) where after 2 years you're discharged but can be called back immediately in the event of war is that by the 60s any possible scenario for invasion of the British Isles would come *after* the country had been turned into a faintly-glowing dust cloud drifting over the North Sea, and that definitely still applies now to a more general conscription - any war we're going to get involved in that would require millions of troops will be WW3 and we'd all be dead before they'd even had a chance to polish their boots.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 2, 2022

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Mega Comrade posted:

it was just a joke on the most cursed polling ratio

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Then it would still be a dumb gently caress idea. I'm not super keen on the idea of conscription either, but at least with that you get a basic level of training and support and equipment. Just handing Alexei the barista a rifle he has no idea how to use and telling him he has to stand his ground against a whole rear end mechanised invasion force and probably die alone in a ditch for the sake of country he doesn't care about is as pointless as it is immoral. It's near enough a cannon-fodder strategy to play for time, imho.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's mixed, 2,500 members from latest info, but if you're a neo nazi from another country that's where you want to go. :suicide:

Most Ukranian men spend a year in the army/defence force so when the call up for all able bodied men to join in the defence occurred we're not talking about noobs being handed a gun and told to charge the enemy.

Their choices in life are much harder than ours and i do not envy them for a second. :ohdear:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Anyone seen those antivaxx stickers with anime girls on them

What happened to those guys now everyone's stopped giving a poo poo about COVID (wrongly of course, but that's what's happened)?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ThomasPaine posted:

Then it would still be a dumb gently caress idea. I'm not super keen on the idea of conscription either, but at least with that you get a basic level of training and support and equipment. Just handing Alexei the barista a rifle he has no idea how to use and telling him he has to stand his ground against a whole rear end mechanised invasion force and probably die alone in a ditch for the sake of country he doesn't care about is as pointless as it is immoral. It's near enough a cannon-fodder strategy to play for time, imho.

Well yes that is exactly what it is but it might actually work. If they slow the invasion down enough that public opinion/money/russian army morale turns against it in Russia then the country might survive.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Civilians with AK47s and molotov cocktails and no training are, in fact, doomed against an actual army, I'm afraid

I think they know this, the plan seems to be to make it as painful enough that Russia back off and it worked for the Fins (until Russia regrouped and tried a second time...)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What is a 'no fly zone' if not a massive 'cool zone'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

What the christ? I'm on the standard variable rate with British Gas and my Electricity and Gas combined for this past quarter was £140. :psyduck:

e: Very worried as to what next quarter's bill might be. D:
I'm wondering what the overlap is between posters with astronomical utility bills, and posters who's landlords make them open the windows during winter instead of fixing the damp.

If only there was a circles-based diagram type that could help us! Ah well.