Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's more shocking they there's a goon who doesn't know about Money Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

freeedr posted:

I thought you guys were making up a running joke about something called Monkey Island but I guess it’s real and dozens of you know all about it. You all make me feel like I slipped into an alternate universe sometimes

The first Pirates of the Caribbean movie started as a Monkey Island movie script before they decided to base it on their ride.

And now Disney owns the IP. Funny how that worked out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol no way, please don't be joking

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

freeedr posted:

I thought you guys were making up a running joke about something called Monkey Island but I guess it’s real and dozens of you know all about it. You all make me feel like I slipped into an alternate universe sometimes

It was BioEnchanted into existence.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

freeedr posted:

What the gently caress.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

:regd05:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

It's more shocking they there's a goon who doesn't know about Money Island

Is that related to Money Plane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orxoOBsS3H0

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I actually never played 3 mostly because I was sad about the graphic style change at the time

Played the hell out of some SCUMM games back in the day though

monkey island 1&2
LOOM

good poo poo

(also Sam and Max Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle but those are also a different art style)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I will never miss pixel hunting in games.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

freeedr posted:

Seriously?

I've a spare copy of The Secret of Monkey Island in my Steam inventory, let me know if you want it. (You will have to play it and let us know what you think, of course.)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

freeedr posted:

monkey island is a beloved series of adventure games from the 1990s, when the video game publisher lucasarts (of the star wars lucas) released hit after hit in the genre and became the last reigning champ of adventure games. you can get a lot of them on steam, they really hold up and many have remastered versions

really you can pick any non-star wars luscasarts game from this period and it will be fantastic (some of the star wars games are amazing, some are crap). the first three monkey island games, the day of the tentacle series, the sam and max series, loom is dated but wonderful, and even a couple of no-poo poo indiana jones games that fit right into the established canon

highlights include full throttle, a sort of mad max inspired biker game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj_1s_X3I-0

my favorite is one of the last classic adventure games, grim fandango - a full on neo noir set in the mexican afterlife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRB6Likh478

again, you can get a lot of these games on steam for pretty cheap. lucasarts was so good in this period, their games often came with soundtracks featuring dozens of original songs. they set the bar to a very high standard for PC gaming in the 90s

Data Graham posted:

Lol no way, please don't be joking

its a popular internet rumor but its not really true. both films sort of evolved with the same mindset - a comedic action/adventure film in a pirate setting - but there's no direct link between the projects. lucasfilm was trying to do an animated feature in the 90s and the monkey island franchise was the most obvious IP they had to turn into a film, but it never got off the ground because it didn't really work

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

freeedr posted:

Ha ha, such a silly post. You make me laugh, freeedr.

Now, let us move on and talk about the Friends video game!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Ehh, it was almost as good as the Home Improvement game but that out-of-fuckin-nowhere FPS part where you play as Mr. Heckles shooting tranq darts at Marcel is pretty :discourse:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

freeedr posted:

Born in the 90s were you?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LifeSunDeath posted:

I will never miss pixel hunting in games.

I loved those games so much, but I also don't miss them.

Hours of pixel hunting and smashing everything in your inventory against everything else in your inventory over and over.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Best proof that ACAB

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Splitting Guybrush’s naive and wacky aspects into two separate characters was a problem for the Pirates sequels. They both have to be there but didn’t really establish why the two would keep hanging out so it all gets convoluted. I realize characters in a movie need someone else to talk to but there are better options.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

ikanreed posted:

Born in the 90s were you?

70s. I’m a grandpa. Tbf I don’t get the vast majority of references made here

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mierenneuker posted:

I will never get over the Chandler character being played by fat sober Matthew Perry to skinny coked up Matthew Perry to a different actor altogether to the character disappearing entirely and his parts being popup text describing what Chandler would be doing in that situation

Like when you're playing as Phoebe and need to use Chandler's laptop you just walk to the guy apartment screen, everything just goes dark and ten minutes of text scrolls slowly across the screen describing Chandler's sarcastic exasperation teaching Phoebe how to use the computer

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol loving owned by autocorrect yet again

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ElGroucho posted:

Best proof that ACAB

"Those civil rights don't affect me because I can't read!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first Pirates of the Caribbean movie started as a Monkey Island movie script before they decided to base it on their ride.

And now Disney owns the IP. Funny how that worked out.

It's even more convoluted than that.

The original Monkey Island game was inspired by the Pirates of The Caribbean ride, and the novel On Stranger Tides. And then some dude years later wrote a treatment for an MI movie that never went anywhere. More years later the PoTC movies comes out, and who wrote it? The same guy that wrote the MI movie script, and the movie is clearly cribbing from MI in all aspects.

Cut to more years later, and one of the PoTC movies adapts the original On Stranger Tides novel. So it all comes full circle and MI and PoTC eat each other's rear end forever in a swirling ouroboros.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

MI and PoTC eat each other's rear end forever in a swirling ouroboros.

Wasnt that the climax of the third movie

(I loved Black Pearl, had a couple moments where I laughed hard enough to run out of air - but in retrospect I rue that it crowded out the other expensive boat movie from that year, Master and Commander)

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

freeedr posted:

I'm very envious all the wonderful recommendations you're now going to receive, the Monkey Island series is so good

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
if you're gonna play 1 or 2 now, make sure to use the Roland Synth setting, holy poo poo it sounds so good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Sean posted:

Nah, Dooley, the man in the video, is from Baltimore.

There are similarities with some Philly accents, but this video was about Baltimore.

Right, but that video and the other poster I was quoting were responding to this:

Scratch Monkey posted:

Here in Philadelphia (the big one in PA) the city is generally pronounced "full-delphia" and our little brother to south, Baltimore, is either "balta-more" or "ball-tee-more"

and

Baron von Eevl posted:

And Baltimore ave was always baldy-more to the old timers.

Which was us talking about how Philadelphians say "Baltimore."

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The original Monkey Island game was inspired by the Pirates of The Caribbean ride, and the novel On Stranger Tides. And then some dude years later wrote a treatment for an MI movie that never went anywhere. More years later the PoTC movies comes out, and who wrote it? The same guy that wrote the MI movie script, and the movie is clearly cribbing from MI in all aspects.

Cut to more years later, and one of the PoTC movies adapts the original On Stranger Tides novel. So it all comes full circle and MI and PoTC eat each other's rear end forever in a swirling ouroboros.

On Stranger Tides is pretty decent paperback fiction. It's not really high-brow or anything but it's a fun adventure novel with fantasy elements and it does some cool stuff with mythologies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Eat this and you're doomed to supply a king cake every Mardi Gras... forever!

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Android Apocalypse posted:

Eat this and you're doomed to supply a king cake every Mardi Gras... forever!

Somehow whatever going on with that frosting is more disturbing than the babies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That's regular king cake frosting: colored granulated sugar sprinkled on top.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
In Australia they call those Fairy Babies

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SAY YOHO posted:

Somehow whatever going on with that frosting is more disturbing than the babies.

It looks like photoshop. Or paintshop.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah that particular example looks like they photoshopped something else into looking like a King Cake

As I recall, the tradition is to bake one (1) plastic baby in, and whoever gets the slice with it is responsible for supplying the King Cake the next year.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The thing about 90s point-and-click adventure games is that they have great story and characters, they're often really really funny, and have beautiful pixel art. But unless you actually like pixel-hunting and ridiculous, often obtuse puzzle solving, I think they're best experienced watching a playthrough.

I love them all as stories, but hate them as games.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

This reminds me, the other day I was on Twitch and saw somebody with the handle Menstrual Krampus, and I was jealous of their cleverness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, the Pirates movie only adapts On Stranger Tides in that it is about the Fountain of Youth and Blackbeard is in it. Other than that they have nothing in common. Which is too bad because the book is actually really good. Doing stuff like incorporating magical events into real world history

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hyperlynx posted:

The thing about 90s point-and-click adventure games is that they have great story and characters, they're often really really funny, and have beautiful pixel art. But unless you actually like pixel-hunting and ridiculous, often obtuse puzzle solving, I think they're best experienced watching a playthrough.

I love them all as stories, but hate them as games.

I really don't recall monkey island having much pixel hunting. My problem was more that a bunch of the puzzles relied on cartoon logic that's funny specifically because it's illogical, which kind of makes them not great puzzles.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FFT posted:

Yeah that particular example looks like they photoshopped something else into looking like a King Cake

As I recall, the tradition is to bake one (1) plastic baby in, and whoever gets the slice with it is responsible for supplying the King Cake the next year.
*Next parade, which might be tomorrow, next week, or next year. Carnival runs from Feast if the Epiphany to Mardis Gras so plenty of time to get your king cake in.

Also that other one is pretty average frosting, not sure what people are seeing as weird. The little drizzles of glaze is extremely un-fat. Usually a very sweet, widely covered and dripping glaze or going full decadent and covered in something close to royal frosting.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

FFT posted:

Its probably a Hispanic thing not a nola thing, but we always did whoever got the baby had to cook the meal on Easter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/LemonWitLime/status/1498862496756768772