Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
:sbahj:

no regrets about the snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
That was so good. Whenever I see incredible panels like that I say a small prayer to the anime gods that it will eventually be animated by (a good) studio

Imagine this stuff animated by the guys who did season 1 of OPM or the latest season of Demon Slayer. It'd be incredible

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Why was pig god suddenly slim? Time for a redraw!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Presumably because Fubuki used his energy to restore some of the S-Class so Garou can re-dunk them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm ashamed that I laughed about the flex tape joke on the last page in the translation.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
So Pig God is basically Fat Gum but more gross.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

dipwood posted:

So Pig God is basically Fat Gum but more gross.

Did MHA steal from OPM? Not sure about the timeline. Did Pig God burn his fat already in the web comic before Fat Gum did the same in MHA?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No but he did have some inner conflict on whether to use his full power that he was saving for the true crisis, and if this was it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Siliziumleben posted:

Did MHA steal from OPM? Not sure about the timeline. Did Pig God burn his fat already in the web comic before Fat Gum did the same in MHA?

I mean Naruto also had a dude who could burn his fat to turn hot and enter super-powered mode . It's not exactly a new trope.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
wow, can't believe Naruto stole from One Punch Man too

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wow I can't believe the idea of extremely fat man becomes extremely fit man was used more than once who do I sue

Thoren
May 28, 2008
we must dedicate the next few dozen posts to finding the earliest example of this trope in anime

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Thoren posted:

we must dedicate the next few dozen posts to finding the earliest example of this trope in anime

I think Sakamoto is the most recent example, so he can go at the end of the list.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thoren posted:

It's probably some one-off character Tezuka used in a chapter of whatever he was drawing in between stuff he actually cared about.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thoren posted:

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
great now there's two centipedes to fight

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like that Garou's hand seems to have transformed after the tremendous heat and impact it must've endured from reentry and cutting through the centipede.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

OH RIGHT, Pig God had a jacket.

Completely forgot about that.
As a fat man, the "regular shirt with a jacket over that left open because oh dang it this jacket doesn't close any more" is a thing.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 1, 2022

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Sweet Mask is looking pretty good for a guy that got his face caved in.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

He's also very intact for a man that was torn in half .

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clam Chowdown posted:

Sweet Mask is looking pretty good for a guy that got his face caved in.

Brandfarlig posted:

He's also very intact for a man that was torn in half .

Sweet Mask, secret imperfect House of Evolution experiment?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've been wondering about how Sweet Mask is just back on the field, but figured I missed something

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Revins posted:

I've been wondering about how Sweet Mask is just back on the field, but figured I missed something

The redraw of Sweet Mask vs Do-S and the private mercenary squad was foreshadowing of this moment.

For anyone who missed it, Do-S used her tongue to pierce Sweet Mask's eye, and it looked like it shattered his whole face (like a mask), but in a moment he had completely recovered.

When Do-S was resurrected by monster blood (??) she mused that Sweet Mask might secretly be a shape shifter (and, presumably, a monster)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
sweet mask had a really veiny crotch assuming he pulled himself together and regenned

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah but Garou's also got those.

The answer must be that he's fused himself with his pants now, like Ethan Winters

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you can learn more about amai “sweet” mask by reading the webcomic

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

you can learn more about amai “sweet” mask by reading the webcomic

Counterpoint: never reference the webcomic in this thread.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CannonFodder posted:

As a fat man, the "regular shirt with a jacket over that left open because oh dang it this jacket doesn't close any more" is a thing.

Oh no I get it, I'm fat and never button/zip up jackets/coats either.

Jerkface posted:

sweet mask had a really veiny crotch assuming he pulled himself together and regenned

So did Garou.

The veiny crotch, that is.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

oh jay posted:

Counterpoint: never reference the webcomic in this thread.

Fair, but I assume the majority of the thread has read it. And if they haven't they should.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The two versions are also diverging so much now, that it's almost useless to compare them. But on the other hand, it's pretty great to read both as you get two takes on the events.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I imagine the webcomic like some lost ancient materials I'll never really see. I'm aware it isn't but the way it's spoken about...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I haven't read the webcomic and I probably won't get to it soon.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I've read up til after this arc and the manga is better.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Once this arc ends we're totally bringing up how it changed from the webcomic. And frankly, at this point I will recommend reading it as well, like at least just this arc because there's plenty of fun stuff in the webcomic that are really different from the murata version.

If absolutely nothing else, everyone should experience the other take on the wave motion beam.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was one of the people insisting up until last year or so that, while the manga had some revised/extended events, the core plot, themes and character arcs of both manga and webcomic were the same in all the important parts. I no longer argue that because the differences are too many by this point and I wouldn't be surprised if the ending of this arc is different (albeit while still hitting fairly similar plot beats).

I would recommend to wait until the ending of this arc to then read the webcomic's version of it and then the rest if you liked it. It won't happen for another year or so but if you already waited 10+ years whats +1 more :v:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

I was one of the people insisting up until last year or so that, while the manga had some revised/extended events, the core plot, themes and character arcs of both manga and webcomic were the same in all the important parts. I no longer argue that because the differences are too many by this point and I wouldn't be surprised if the ending of this arc is different (albeit while still hitting fairly similar plot beats).

I would recommend to wait until the ending of this arc to then read the webcomic's version of it and then the rest if you liked it. It won't happen for another year or so but if you already waited 10+ years whats +1 more :v:

yes. however if anyone is wondering why sweet mask isnt a pulpy mess, the webcomic will tell them the answer and the manga probably will not

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Attestant posted:

The two versions are also diverging so much now, that it's almost useless to compare them. But on the other hand, it's pretty great to read both as you get two takes on the events.

I love the webcomic, but I have to admit that it very much feels like a “first draft” of the story in many ways (and that’s not to take away from the fact that I do think there are webcomic moments that didn’t land as well in the manga version).

But more than that, I just find following OPM in the moment to be a very unique experience. You get a webcomic that is way ahead In the story, things being set up in the manga that you know are coming later in the webcomic, and even manga chapter redraws that further flesh those things out.

People reading through OPM in the future will miss out on all this nuance.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
What if we didn't talk about the webcomic in the manga thread?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Here's the link to the webcomic thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559267

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rename this thread One Punch Man Remake and the Webcomic one One Punch Man