Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Gripweed posted:

You know that bit in Alice's Restaurant where he goes to the draft office and says "Sir, I wanna kill. I wanna see blood and guts and feel veins in my teeth. I mean, I wanna kill" And starts jumping up and down yelling Kill! Kill! Kill! and then an officer comes over and pins a medal to his chest and says "you're our boy"?

I wanna do that at the police recruitment office but about ticketing traffic violators.

"I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm sitting here on the bench, I mean I'm sitting here on the drunk tank bench 'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough t' join the police, beat women, kids, dogs and innocents after being a litterbug."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

it's gotten insanely bad compared to 2019. various city statistics and even nhtsa has backed up with actual data that drivers have become insane blood-frenzed psychos

im not gunna be surprised that the full 2021 data once it comes out is very grim. december 2021 was absolutely absurdly awful. i don't think ive ever seen so much insanity and stupidity from american carbrains before.

peep the last table. almost 30% increase in first-degree murders by americans

thats just fatalities too. injuries are way the gently caress up

notice how it only passed 1.1 fatality rate when Trump got elected :smug: coincidence? I think not

Gripweed posted:

You know that bit in Alice's Restaurant where he goes to the draft office and says "Sir, I wanna kill. I wanna see blood and guts and feel veins in my teeth. I mean, I wanna kill" And starts jumping up and down yelling Kill! Kill! Kill! and then an officer comes over and pins a medal to his chest and says "you're our boy"?

I wanna do that at the police recruitment office but about ticketing traffic violators.

I reference that part of the song so often and no one knows what I'm talking about

Cup Runneth Over has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Mar 1, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is my car-loving boomer dad's response to those fatality statistics

quote:

I charge you to figure out why the accident rates & deaths are up since COVID. What are/where the causes? Did COVID cause everyone to lose their minds while driving? Or was COVID just something that was happening and people were just going to start driving badly?

You will notice that there have been a lot of bumps in the road, probably weather related.

Or are you telling us to stop driving & sit at home?

lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

actionjackson posted:

this is my car-loving boomer dad's response to those fatality statistics

lol

loving dad-sequiturs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/punished_cait/status/1498128390888595463?s=21

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

on the one hand, that vehicle is keeping the road clear of cars

on the other hand, that vehicle is the approximate size and shape of what every SUV driver would be driving if they could

:thunk: not sure how to feel about this

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

actionjackson posted:

stop driving & sit at home?

aaaaaaaarrghhhhhhh

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Eric Adams ..... Good??
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/nyregion/nyc-raised-crosswalks-traffic-deaths.html

quote:

Raising Crosswalks to Make Deadly Intersections Safer in New York

City officials want to install 100 raised crosswalks every year as part of a larger effort to redesign dangerous intersections.

The white-striped crosswalk sits on top of a hump of asphalt.

Pedestrians barely notice as they rush across, but drivers are in for a bumpy ride if they do not slow down.

The crosswalk in northern Manhattan was raised four inches in the fall to try to slow traffic and make pedestrians more visible as they navigate a busy intersection where 26 people — including 14 pedestrians — have been injured in motor vehicle crashes in the past five years.

“People are always trying to get somewhere fast and beat the light,” said Amy Boysen, 44, a sales executive. “There is so much going on, and no one’s looking at the pedestrian.”

Now, Mayor Eric Adams wants to raise hundreds of crosswalks across New York amid a surge in traffic violence during the pandemic, in part because of an epidemic of speeding and reckless driving. Citywide, a total of 273 people — including 125 pedestrians — were killed in crashes last year, the highest number of traffic deaths since 2013, according to city records.

Since Mr. Adams took office in January, another 37 people — including 20 pedestrians — have been killed in crashes as of February 27th.

The surge in traffic fatalities has sharply reversed the gains made under former Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose signature transportation policy, called Vision Zero, once set a goal of eliminating all traffic deaths.

It also comes during a pandemic boom in cycling and e-mobility and outdoor dining that has brought more people into the streets even as traffic, which briefly disappeared when the city largely shut down, has returned.

Raised crosswalks have been shown to make streets safer elsewhere, but in New York, a city with roughly 40,000 intersections, there are just 17 of them.

Starting this year, however, the city plans to add 100 raised crosswalks every year as part of a broader effort to redesign some of New York’s most dangerous intersections — a particularly perilous piece of the streetscape where a majority of pedestrians are killed or injured.

City officials will also increase enforcement to catch drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians, a violation that became far less of a focus during the pandemic when police officials said the department was stretched thin because officers had fallen ill or been diverted to protests.

“We are taking everything we have done to a higher level,” said Ydanis Rodriguez, who was appointed the city’s transportation commissioner by Mr. Adams. “We are declaring intersections are sacred spaces and should be protected.”

Even before the pandemic, city officials had introduced measures to try to make streets safer, including lowering speed limits on high-crash thoroughfares, expanding automated speed cameras in school zones, re-timing walk signals to give pedestrians a head start and installing miles of protected bike lanes.

Still, New York, like other U.S. cities, has seen a jump in traffic deaths during the pandemic caused by speeding and dangerous driving brought on by lax police enforcement, emptier roads, more alcohol abuse and greater anxiety, according to traffic experts.

Many cities have increasingly turned to re-engineering crash-prone intersections, according to Alex Engel, a spokesman for the National Association of City Transportation Officials.

“The intersections are the hardest part of the street to design — they are where the most conflicts are,” said Mr. Engel, whose organization is helping cities apply for federal infrastructure funds to help pay for street redesigns.

Over the past five years in New York, more than half of all pedestrian and cyclist fatalities, and more than three-quarters of pedestrian and cyclist injuries, have taken place at intersections, according to city officials.

Caroline Shadood, 34, and her neighbors in Glendale, Queens, have repeatedly demanded safety improvements at the nearby intersection of Cypress and Cooper Avenues where they say drivers routinely speed and run red lights. There have been 70 people — including 10 pedestrians and seven cyclists — injured in motor vehicle crashes at that intersection in the past five years, city records show.

“It’s a known danger in the neighborhood,” Ms. Shadood said of the intersection.

A driver slammed into Ms. Shadood’s partner, Jon Burton, 35, and their dog, Tai, at the intersection a year ago, Ms. Shadood said. Both survived but Mr. Burton was left with a fractured hip and knees and could not work for months. (The dog had internal injuries to multiple organs.)

More recently, another pedestrian was knocked over at that intersection by one driver, and while lying on the ground, was run over by a second driver.

To better control traffic at the intersection, the city recently installed a so-called Barnes Dance, in which traffic signals are reprogrammed to temporarily stop all traffic, allowing pedestrians to cross safely in every direction at the same time.

The intersection, Mr. Rodriguez said, “has seen far too many crashes.”

City officials are working to redesign 1,000 dangerous intersections this year and also plan to target problem spots like parking lots and gas stations where drivers cut across sidewalks, in addition to raising scores of crosswalks.

Such “traffic calming measures” are crucial to slowing down drivers and preventing serious crashes, especially on busy streets where there is a mix of people driving, walking and biking, said Leah Shahum, the executive director of the Vision Zero Network, a nonprofit campaign that works with more than 45 cities across the country to make streets safer.

“They’re proven countermeasures,” she said. “What’s new is the political will to make these changes.”

Mr. de Blasio, who was often viewed by transportation advocates as being overly car-friendly, was accused of not moving aggressively enough to make streets safer. Advocates have generally been more positive about Mr. Adams, an avid cyclist, and Mr. Rodriguez, a former city councilman who was a frequent ally of transit advocates, though it is still early in the new administration.

“The focus of Vision Zero should be designing streets to prevent traffic violence before it even happens,” said Danny Harris, the executive director of Transportation Alternatives, an advocacy group.

Research studies have shown that raised crosswalks can increase the visibility of pedestrians and reduce traffic speeds and crashes, according to traffic engineers and experts. In New York, pedestrian injuries have typically declined after a raised crosswalk was installed, officials said.

Raised crosswalks are also popular because they can be relatively quick to install and inexpensive.

New York’s first raised crosswalk was placed in the Bronx in 2016, after a former city transportation official, Quemuel Arroyo, 32, spotted them while traveling in Mexico and Colombia.

Raised crosswalks, Mr. Arroyo said, are especially important for vulnerable street users — including people with disabilities and young children, who are sometimes not visible to drivers.

Mr. Arroyo, who uses a wheelchair and is now the chief accessibility officer for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, said raised crosswalks “give me a heightened level of comfort knowing that motorists can see me.”

The new crosswalks, which will be financed with city and federal funding, will not be placed on major roads to avoid disrupting bus and truck routes, city officials said. Instead, they will be aimed at other intersections heavily used by pedestrians, especially children and older people, with many near schools, parks, playgrounds and senior centers.

Four new raised crosswalks have already been confirmed for Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island.

In northern Manhattan, the raised crosswalk at 181st Street and Fort Washington Avenue was packed on a recent morning with subway commuters heading to a station, early risers clutching coffee cups and walking dogs and mothers and fathers pushing strollers.

A yellow sign alerts drivers to the raised crosswalk and warns them to slow down to 15 miles per hour on a street where the speed limit is 25 m.p.h.

Craig Clark, 38, who lives in Washington Heights and drives to an English-language teaching job in Queens, said that “it’s worth slowing down a little — that’s reasonable” but added that he would be concerned if raised crosswalks across the city significantly slowed traffic and made his commute, which already takes up to an hour, even longer.

But others like Glen Graham, 48, a podcast producer, said that even when he had a walk signal, many drivers still tried to cut him off. A raised crosswalk “would definitely help — there’s no way to speed over those bumps,” he said. “They have to slow down.”

Ms. Boysen, who said she has had close calls with cars while crossing the intersection, said the city needed many more raised crosswalks.

“I would love them everywhere,” she said. “We should be focusing more on keeping pedestrians safe.”

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you have to pay bitcoin to use the crosswalk

edit:

"Craig Clark, 38, who lives in Washington Heights and drives to an English-language teaching job in Queens, said that “it’s worth slowing down a little — that’s reasonable” but added that he would be concerned if raised crosswalks across the city significantly slowed traffic and made his commute, which already takes up to an hour, even longer."

why is he driving - it is a bit of a haul by transit too, so my next question is why doesn't he just find something closer

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:39 on Mar 2, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hated Adams w a passion but now I'm kicking my feet up and making the Vince McMahon not bad face

e

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2 hour daily commute.

Why even live in NYC at that point? What a miserable existence.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

you have to pay bitcoin to use the crosswalk

edit:

"Craig Clark, 38, who lives in Washington Heights and drives to an English-language teaching job in Queens, said that “it’s worth slowing down a little — that’s reasonable” but added that he would be concerned if raised crosswalks across the city significantly slowed traffic and made his commute, which already takes up to an hour, even longer."

why is he driving - it is a bit of a haul by transit too, so my next question is why doesn't he just find something closer

i'm willing to go a little bit slower, but i'm concerned about increasing the length of my commute. is there any way you could change the laws of physics to solve both of these problems at once? otherwise please do the thing that makes my car faster or whatever it was thank you

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

SKULL.GIF posted:

2 hour daily commute.

new york new york, only in new york baby, only city in da world

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

no way New York's decrepit government can install a raised crosswalk in an acceptable time frame or cost. It's gonna be 1 a year at like 600k$ a pop

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
injuring and maiming dozens of pedestrians as I fly off raised crosswalks Dukes-of-Hazzard style

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
officer, there was an implication that this was a take off ramp - why else would it be here

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

there's an arms race between raised crosswalks / speedbumps and lifted trucks

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I'm not sure what's more surprising: Eric Adams advocating for something good, or the New York Times using the phrase "traffic violence."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

2 hour daily commute.

He probably can't afford to live in Long Island. That said, Washington Heights to Queens is doable via public transit, but will require a few transfers. But both are in the city, so he should be moving to queens, which is absolutely something that can easily be done. I lived in NYC for 10 years and moved 4 times, it's nbd.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

2 hour daily commute.

Every time I had to fly to corporate HQ in NJ/NY, I would have to go to happy hours with boomers who were all really proud of being from the north east, then they would complain about taking the train/the tunnel and how they would spend 3-4 hours a day commuting lmao. Just sitting in your office and then your car for most of your day. Hell yeah, this is da dream baby, nowhere else on planet earth. idk anywhere else in the US where executive boomers and management consultant types making 200k+ a year commute for 3 hours a day

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

actionjackson posted:

car brain is a real thing. driving from washington heights to queens is like 10x more stressful and expensive than taking the subway, and probably wouldn't even save time during work hours. there's nothing about driving that makes it more enjoyable. in the subway you just chill out, stand around, listen to music, play a game on your phone, etc. you can literally use the subway as a chance to unwind. once you have terminal car brain, you forget that completely

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bi crimes posted:

idk anywhere else in the US where executive boomers and management consultant types making 200k+ a year commute for 3 hours a day

Los Angeles because at least NYC has a transit system that is used by a lot of people

no one in LA rides the Metro, it is car culture to the extreme

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

I'm not sure what's more surprising: Eric Adams advocating for something good, or the New York Times using the phrase "traffic violence."
That's when you do harm to traffic by slowing it down as it runs you over

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

car brain is a real thing.

if c-spam has opened my mind to anything, it is that the automobile is a satanic, parasitic invention

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

there's an arms race between raised crosswalks / speedbumps and lifted trucks

I've actually seen a lot of idiots in lifted trucks slow way down to delicately nurse their precious baby over even the tiniest speed bumps and dips. :shrug:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
cars create the illusion of control, which people get addicted to. if you commute via the subway, delays can drive you crazy; partially because you have no control over them whatsoever. you personally do not cause the delays, you don't know how long the delays will last, etc. if you have a handful of bad subway experiences in a short time span, it's easy to get disillusioned with public transit in general.

you don't have any more control in a car... there's nothing you can do to prevent running into a surprise traffic jam, or not finding a parking space at your destination, etc... but that illusion of control is enough to hook you unless you're willing to have a zen mindset about transportation in general

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Los Angeles because at least NYC has a transit system that is used by a lot of people

no one in LA rides the Metro, it is car culture to the extreme

oops, I always forget about LA

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Polo-Rican posted:

car brain is a real thing. driving from washington heights to queens is like 10x more stressful and expensive than taking the subway, and probably wouldn't even save time during work hours. there's nothing about driving that makes it more enjoyable. in the subway you just chill out, stand around, listen to music, play a game on your phone, etc. you can literally use the subway as a chance to unwind. once you have terminal car brain, you forget that completely

on the other hand you're at a very low risk for having some dude walk by and literally slam a fistful of human excrement into your face and hair while in your own car. so it's a balancing act.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Polo-Rican posted:

cars create the illusion of control, which people get addicted to. if you commute via the subway, delays can drive you crazy; partially because you have no control over them whatsoever. you personally do not cause the delays, you don't know how long the delays will last, etc. if you have a handful of bad subway experiences in a short time span, it's easy to get disillusioned with public transit in general.

you don't have any more control in a car... there's nothing you can do to prevent running into a surprise traffic jam, or not finding a parking space at your destination, etc... but that illusion of control is enough to hook you unless you're willing to have a zen mindset about transportation in general

I have the opposite reaction. If a bus or train is slow/delayed its all v:shobon:v welp, nothing to be done about it. If I'm in a car and jammed up I go nuts trying to figure out which is the fastest lane or if there are any alternate routes.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I have the opposite reaction. If a bus or train is slow/delayed its all v:shobon:v welp, nothing to be done about it. If I'm in a car and jammed up I go nuts trying to figure out which is the fastest lane or if there are any alternate routes.

Precisely - the car is just a busy box for people who aren't okay being alone with their own thoughts, but upscaled into the only transportation infrastructure we have

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do we have the technology to have a distance sensor pointing downwards from the front bumper that can allow on-the-fly suspension adjustments to float you over speed pumps without slowing down?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My neighbors (four college frat guys) each have their own giant trucks that they don't have room for. One of them is idling in his truck when I leave in the morning and idling in his truck when I get home. What are you doing??

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My neighbors (four college frat guys) each have their own giant trucks that they don't have room for. One of them is idling in his truck when I leave in the morning and idling in his truck when I get home. What are you doing??

getting us 4.0C that much faster

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

withak posted:

Do we have the technology to have a distance sensor pointing downwards from the front bumper that can allow on-the-fly suspension adjustments to float you over speed pumps without slowing down?

flashing red sirens going off in the headquarters of every car company in america, interns frantically running into the boss's office with printouts of your post. 'sir, you're going to want to see this. this man has seen the future'

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

e: oops

distortion park has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Mar 2, 2022

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Polo-Rican posted:

I think this is kinda the opposite of true. I know when I was commuting via transit then if the train was down it was like "oh well, nothing I can do but wait or get on a bus bridge" if I'm late for work it's NBD because everyone understands. It impacts you and thousands of others and somehow it's less stressful.

But in traffic it makes you a lot more anxious because your gonna get poo poo like " you shoulda left earlier". And because you have control of your vehicle you feel like you have to do whatever it takes to get out in front.

Now I just bike and nothing can stop me except getting run over and then I'm dead so who cares.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Polo-Rican posted:

I think so have the same thing but for my bike riding even though I know it's 5-10 minutes longer to ride my bike.

Something about I the feeling of relative constant movement , being able to zip across on pedestrian paths , and dedicated cycleway is preferable even if I am going slower, I'm just less held up by lights. If I'm gunna be x-brained I'm happy to be bikebrained

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Jestery posted:

I think so have the same thing but for my bike riding even though I know it's 5-10 minutes longer to ride my bike.
The great thing about bike commuting, or walking if you're lucky enough, is the fixed-time aspect. Unless the area's choked with snow or ice nothing's stopping you, your commute will always take about the same time.

It's very freeing.

withak posted:

Sort-of but thankfully it was deemed too expensive. Bose has a patent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPYIaks1UY

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

an actual frog posted:

The great thing about bike commuting, or walking if you're lucky enough, is the fixed-time aspect. Unless the area's choked with snow or ice nothing's stopping you, your commute will always take about the same time.

It's very freeing.

I have a longer walking commute now than my standard bus commute previously, and the advantage of never needing to worry about traffic or scheduling or anything really does free you from a ton of stress. It was a big selling point of the job for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I started walking instead of biking to work because I find that I arrive a lot calmer and less annoyed.