Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I recently saved up the nanites to upgrade ROU Perfect Aesthetic (my main ship, a neat little white and metallic purple fighter) from A to S class, and now I'm farming exotic ships to scrap for storage upgrades.

:feelsgood:

How do you farm exotic ships? The only two things I would know to do is to be in a 3 star economy system (this might not matter either), and go to a trading post on a planet and wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Node posted:

How do you farm exotic ships? The only two things I would know to do is to be in a 3 star economy system (this might not matter either), and go to a trading post on a planet and wait.

Pretty much, there's a bunch of posts on Reddit that have coordinates for systems with exotic ships. You can keep reloading saves til one spawns, though it's a bit hit and miss and I end up getting bored and doing missions and stuff in the area until one turns up by luck.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I think I visited around 50 different systems before my exotic randomly turned up. But I didn’t prioritize visiting high-economy systems either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1496850044829511688

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What do I need to know about the expedition mode? I've been playing this game for just a month, so I haven't played this game mode before.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Node posted:

What do I need to know about the expedition mode? I've been playing this game for just a month, so I haven't played this game mode before.

You have to do it in a new game

Once complete you can claim the rewards on your main save from the quicksilver dealer

You don’t have to do the tasks in order. Go through every tier in the expeditions tab in the pause menu to get an idea of everything you have to do

Don’t forget to claim the rewards for completing tasks in that same menu once you’ve done them.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Node posted:

It's basically "guided" regular gameplay, everything is mechanically nearly identical but it'll have a dedicated progression/achievement thing with rewards for each step that tend to bootstrap you into requirements for later steps (specific recipes, rare or hard to find items for those recipes, etc). The cosmetic rewards from completing it are redeemable account-wide at the anomaly.

Apart from that, the only major point of note for these tends to be "if you're having weird issues or your client is killing itself for no apparent reason, turn off network play"-- expeditions usually concentrate players into one area of space or even one planet by design, and the results of that can....vary.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Also, you start with a companion in this expedition, and I will admit it took me far too long to realise this

"what a weird dog"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Also, you start with a companion in this expedition, and I will admit it took me far too long to realise this

"what a weird dog"

lmao this dude rules.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Man, this game drives me crazy.
Been having some wild, halfsecond stuttering for the past few patches, nothing I can't deal with.
But when i'm flying around in space the flight lines keep flickering in and out and it hurts to look at.
Anyone else have this issue?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Nope. I got a popup when I started NMS after the patch saying I had an obsolete nvidia driver. That was true because changing them is always a crapshoot so I tend to use one until I have to update. I reluctantly updated the nvidia driver. Nothing broke this time and NMS is smoother than it's ever been after it gets going. Right after it starts up I get some short pauses when moving around sometimes but then it's just smoothness.

One question I have: did they fix it so you can use teleporters inside the freighters yet? Years ago I remember it led to horrible bugs and it was not safe to use one in the base inside your freighter. If they've fixed it that'd be convenient but I don't want to risk my save by just plopping one down.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ssthalar posted:

Man, this game drives me crazy.
Been having some wild, halfsecond stuttering for the past few patches, nothing I can't deal with.
But when i'm flying around in space the flight lines keep flickering in and out and it hurts to look at.
Anyone else have this issue?

I feel like I've seen someone talk about thisi before and it ended up being verifying integrity your install with steam (if you're using steam), and if that doesn't work uninstalling then reinstalling.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Rick posted:

I feel like I've seen someone talk about thisi before and it ended up being verifying integrity your install with steam (if you're using steam), and if that doesn't work uninstalling then reinstalling.

Tried both of those and neither worked. Oh well, I'll just assume that my machine is too old to run this game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ssthalar posted:

Tried both of those and neither worked. Oh well, I'll just assume that my machine is too old to run this game.

Very unlikely unless you're literally running on an abacus or something. My machine is eight years old and I run pretty well, though I can't turn on all the bells and whistles. Do you have a RAM bottleneck? Upgrading from 8 to 16 made more of a difference than anything else for me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Speaking of performance issues, has anyone else had texture issues with the game? Especially since the patch? The texture quality makes my Nintendo 64 blush. I've tried changing every graphical setting, and it has no effect.

Example screenshot. This has a quest update text box that might spoil the ending of the game, just as a warning. Oops.

The Korvax' faces look very bad, its just a flashing white blob, instead of a detailed light like how it used to be. And the landing pad and runway practically have no texture at all.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It runs like crap on mine unless I have everything set to the lowest detail level, and even then it still runs fairly poorly. GTX980, 1440p, Ryzen 2600, 16Gb, nvme SSD. For comparison, cyberpunk is very playable on medium detail.

I've also been having issues on the series X, which is where I mostly play it. Game looks fine most of the time, but any time there is a menu up on part of the screen, such as when trading with an NPC or choosing a destination at a portal, I get heaps of artefacts either in the portal animation or around the NPC. No issues otherwise in game, or in any other game I've played lately.

Probably need to force the Xbox to check the game files or something.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I have extremely bad pop-in with the latest patch, much worse then what I used to have. Game runs... Fine I guess, with some hitching when using the terrain manipulator and getting in/out of my ship.

3600X, 3070TI, 16GB, nvme SSD, so should be plenty good enough.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I've not seen any real difference after the current patch so idk

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Node posted:

Speaking of performance issues, has anyone else had texture issues with the game? Especially since the patch? The texture quality makes my Nintendo 64 blush. I've tried changing every graphical setting, and it has no effect.

I've seen issues not quite this bad, but I'll have good quality initially and then at some eventual point skin and armor textures start looking like playdoh, like the game is confused about what LOD it's supposed to be rendering specific things at

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I haven't seen any unusual performance issues, but I also have render distance like all the way down because my pc stopped handling the game shortly after base building.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Ratzap posted:

One question I have: did they fix it so you can use teleporters inside the freighters yet? Years ago I remember it led to horrible bugs and it was not safe to use one in the base inside your freighter. If they've fixed it that'd be convenient but I don't want to risk my save by just plopping one down.

I've been using my teleporter in my freighter since I've had a teleporter and a freighter with nary a problem. I wasn't aware there was a reported issue.

Node posted:

I finally found an S-rank largest sized Venator freighter, and when that behemoth is orbiting above my base taking up half the god drat sky I just :awesome:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I have to find some flying bugs or poo poo to milk and nobody seems to have built a base with "FLYING BUGS 4 MILK HERE"

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I have to find some flying bugs or poo poo to milk and nobody seems to have built a base with "FLYING BUGS 4 MILK HERE"

Reddit's got a couple locations if you search there. I've got one in my portal history and might be able to help you get there if need be.

My problem is that the few places people have listed with beetles are ones that I didn't go to in my expedition path and I can't find them on the galaxy map either.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If you scanned some beetles (or ewoks or striders) before realizing you needed to milk them, you can go back through your discovery log to suss out which planet/system they were from and set it as a custom waypoint to point your galaxy map at

Usually pretty useless but for a short term expedition like this, kind of handy

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
You should be able to fire off an alien cartographic map, find the portal, charge it, plug in the glyphs from Reddit and boom easy money. Drop a base computer next to the portal too. Stays charged.

Also sup Resurgent Gang

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you scanned some beetles (or ewoks or striders) before realizing you needed to milk them, you can go back through your discovery log to suss out which planet/system they were from and set it as a custom waypoint to point your galaxy map at

Usually pretty useless but for a short term expedition like this, kind of handy

Bears were not a problem because someone handily built a base called "BEARS AND BONES" which is also a great name for a gay goth nightclub

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

You should be able to fire off an alien cartographic map, find the portal, charge it, plug in the glyphs from Reddit and boom easy money. Drop a base computer next to the portal too. Stays charged.

People keep forgetting to capture the system addresses, the one that tried can't read the first glyph, which is moderately less than useful.

I'll be checking again tomorrow though to see if anyone has a new location. I'm also running the Explorer mission requirements now and I'm thinking I'll pick random systems to see if I get lucky while I'm doing that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there a chance HG is going to redo older expeditions, again? I finished the current one, it'd be nice to get the rewards from the previous expeditions eventually.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Node posted:

Is there a chance HG is going to redo older expeditions, again? I finished the current one, it'd be nice to get the rewards from the previous expeditions eventually.

Since they've done it once I'm pretty positive they'll do it again. It would make sense/be neat to have them continue to do it as a year-end event.

I probably won't run expeditions I've completed, but it really helps get new players engaged and the expedition 1 golden vector especially makes new expeditions a lot easier to complete once you can get to the nexus.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Found a Reddit post that has portal address AND galaxy map for a location one hop off of one of the Rendevous systems.

Can post if it'll be useful.

(For Beetles)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh something I picked up from a youtuber yesterday that I didn't realise - if you find one of those new sentinel bases, you can farm the new Salvaged Glass by taking out the stompy robot and getting to the wave where the drone that spawns more drones appears. Leave that one alive, and it will continually spawn either 2 of the regular combat drones, or the repair drones. Only the combat drones drop the pods with the glass in them, so you can probably ignore the other ones unless they're making life difficult. With an upgraded neutron canon in a class A tool, you can take them out in 2 shots on average.

Once you've loaded up on salvaged glass, break it down and vendor the upgrades - they sell for between 300 and 1100 nanites. Probably quicker and less annoying than the old egg cracking method, plus you get a bunch of pugneum you can sell for additional spacebux, and if you have any quests to destroy sentinels you can fulfil them at the same time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if you've done any twitch rewards stuff check in there because one of them was a flying beetle.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

does this new expedition put everyone on the same planet thus turning it into a choppy unplayable mess for those of us on elder consoles, or is it more spread out?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

yes, but i started a few days ago and almost everyone had already moved on from the starting planet. the final rendezvous was a bit crowded when i got to it, but the mandatory path was considerably shorter than the previous expeditions i played.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

This is weird. I'm playing with controller on PC, and I finally started the new expedition today. Clicking the right stick usually changes view from first-person/cockpit to third-person, but after the patch it's bound to zoom in instead. Resetting it to default gives me "discoveries/options" which opens the menu for the expedition discoveries, etc. I don't see an option to reset it to change view instead.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Oh something I picked up from a youtuber yesterday that I didn't realise - if you find one of those new sentinel bases, you can farm the new Salvaged Glass by taking out the stompy robot and getting to the wave where the drone that spawns more drones appears. Leave that one alive, and it will continually spawn either 2 of the regular combat drones, or the repair drones. Only the combat drones drop the pods with the glass in them, so you can probably ignore the other ones unless they're making life difficult. With an upgraded neutron canon in a class A tool, you can take them out in 2 shots on average.

Once you've loaded up on salvaged glass, break it down and vendor the upgrades - they sell for between 300 and 1100 nanites. Probably quicker and less annoying than the old egg cracking method, plus you get a bunch of pugneum you can sell for additional spacebux, and if you have any quests to destroy sentinels you can fulfil them at the same time.

Teleporter drones show up in every wave, and if you wipe out the large walker it should trigger sentinel shutdown.

And if you're farming for nanites you can process the pugneum for nanites as well. It's a lot less efficient then farming mould balls but if you're farming the Sentinels anyway,...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I got my living ship finally, and I'm confused about upgrading it. From what I've read, you pulse around systems until you get encounters which give you upgrade modules for the ship. I played all evening, and I was jumping and pulsing all over the place, but I never had a single encounter. Do I need to do something differently? Or are they a pretty rare occurrence?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Node posted:

I got my living ship finally, and I'm confused about upgrading it. From what I've read, you pulse around systems until you get encounters which give you upgrade modules for the ship. I played all evening, and I was jumping and pulsing all over the place, but I never had a single encounter. Do I need to do something differently? Or are they a pretty rare occurrence?

Yeah, the locations are pretty rare. They respawn in the same system every time, though.
If you'd rather cheese it than wait for it to occur randomly (nobody would blame you, that poo poo is rare,) I've got a system with two. The second one takes a while to show up.
There's also a little base there with a market terminal, a teleporter, and silos of Living Ship "food."

The teleporter is a bit fucky right now and I don't know why but it should be safe.

Actually ALL of my teleporters seem to be spawning me a bit below them and then zipping? Did they break teleporter stuff or is it just me?

Also, when did they change photo mode to not include glyphs? Is there a way to change it back???

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Captain France posted:

Also, when did they change photo mode to not include glyphs? Is there a way to change it back???

There's always been a thing on some platform(s?) where the in-game "take a picture" button like hides the UI + glyphs at the moment of capture and the only way to get glyphs in is use the console OS/Steam screenshot button. I'm pretty sure it was Steam I remember that from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Node posted:

Just pulsing around, I think those encounters might be more common in uncharted or abandoned systems (maybe because you are less likely to have other types of encounters there), but this might be coincidence.
I used to park capital ship in a system that had void egg encounter as a first encounter and then I would land on it, saved, reloaded and went pulsing again to get that void egg encounter again.